Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you drink Coke Pepsi?
Not at all 8 11.59%
Yes - but rarely 17 24.64%
Yes - as usual 44 63.77%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2006, 02:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Everything you drink and eat in this country has pesticide in it. But the point here is, our body is already so used to all these things that if we eat abroad at cleaner places, we might just have an upset stomach. We are all made of 'desh ki mitti'. ;-)
So forget everything and relish you drinks.

X
Old 15th August 2006, 10:09   #17
BHPian

i'll try to answer to the query only!

i never made these softdrinks my habit. i do gulped them down occassionaly, but my fav drink is gud old nimbu-paani!
i used to drink atleast 2 glasses of it daily during my college days!

even today it is a regular drink for me, but now the sugar has been replaced by honey.

P.S.: now please donot get hell bent on finding pesticides and all in that nimbu and paani and honey too!
Old 15th August 2006, 10:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nope i stopped drinking all the fizzy stuff the first time this controversy had come up.

Drifter
Old 15th August 2006, 10:36   #19
BHPian

I am back to Apple Juice and other milk products of india instead of pepsi and cola's...
Old 15th August 2006, 13:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody noticed that Coke has been putting up ads regularly to mend its tarnished reputation? They're inviting people to come and check out their manufacturing plants themselves. Has anybody gone yet?

Better yet, why doesn't somebody call up and arrange a tour for all bhpians..? We could make it an "industrial" visit, and call it a meet as well...

P.S- Even I have stopped consumption of all colas quite a while ago...
Old 15th August 2006, 13:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

I hate when some people say that pesticides are found in vegetables and fruits and drinking water so they are OK in Colas.
Do these people mean to say that two wrongs make one right? What kind of stupid mentality is that?
I mean you can live without coke and pepsi, but cant live without vegetables and fruits (unless you are a hardcore non veggie).

Even the people we try to copy (west) are giving up on coke and pepsi not because of pesticides but because of other bad effects on health. If anyone wants i can give links to various forums where our Firangi friends discuss about how colas are deteriorating their health.

God save India!

Last edited by DCEite : 15th August 2006 at 13:17.
Old 15th August 2006, 13:27   #22
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Ok deceite ... let me try and put it in another bhasha...

it rains... and that too quite frequently... and we all know water causes corrosion to our cars... so would you stop washing your car with water?
The point is - its irrelevant... its does not matter b'coz it already rains.. frequently.

lets not mix 2 points.... cold drinks are bad for health in general... and they now have a few ppm pesticides.

BTW something like this is called the IRRELEVANCE THEORY in financial management... where while deciding on something you don't take into account the common/ irrelevant things.
Old 15th August 2006, 13:51   #23
BHPian

I am sure our Cola standard is far inferior than what people get in Europe/America. If there a bit of harmful chemicals is found, their govt. would have banned it there already.

Why Coke/Pepsi can't produce the same version they sell overseas?

Why do they take it for granted that Indians can drink contaminated beverage while Europeans & Americans can't?

I don't like to compare Coke/Pepsi with our vegetables. Our farmers are poor - they themselves eat their own vegetables. Do Coke/Pepsi bosses drink their own cola everyday?

Instead of inviting people to visit their plant, they should show public that their Indian manufactered colas are being consumed by westerners! I bet then no one will raise any question on colas impurity!
Old 15th August 2006, 13:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK
BTW something like this is called the IRRELEVANCE THEORY in financial management... where while deciding on something you don't take into account the common/ irrelevant things.
This is not financial management, SLK, its about our health. And its a much serious issue than financial management.

These corporates (coke and pepsi), their only aim is to make profit (you sound like a businessman too, so you must be knowing it better). They give a damn about the health of public.

Anyways, these are my personal opinions. Yours may differ. To each, his own. Peace.
Old 15th August 2006, 14:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Coke & Pepsi are here to make money. But honestly and totally my opinion is that the Corporation supplied water and milk from our state owned societies are probably worse.
I would actually trust Coke or Pepsi more than I would trust Aavin or the "Mineral water" companies and definitely more than the local nimbu paani/sherbeth shop.
Old 15th August 2006, 15:08   #26
BHPian

Well well i am not a pepsi or a coke drinker.. but i still dont mind drinking it with my Jhonny Walker
Old 15th August 2006, 15:20   #27
BANNED

*BURP*..... Yes I will...
Old 15th August 2006, 15:27   #28
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak

I don't like to compare Coke/Pepsi with our vegetables. Our farmers are poor - they themselves eat their own vegetables. Do Coke/Pepsi bosses drink their own cola everyday?
.. I am sure they do!..
Thats the whole point.. farmers are poor!... so they can use excess pesticides... and coke/ pepsi are rich so.. they should be clean.

I am totally.. supportive of the fact that .. nothing I drink/eat should ever have pesticides. BUT why the double standards.. why not try to keep the non-branded products pesticide free and just bother about coke/pepsi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by decite
This is not financial management, SLK, its about our health. And its a much serious issue than financial management.
that was just an example trying to tell you how it should be seen.

for a minute leave out the harmful effect of coke/pepsi which are inherent to the drinks and consider just the pesticides.
The water you drink has more pesticides than coke/pepsi...
The milk you drink has more pesticides than coke/pepsi...
The fruits/vegetables you eat have more pesticides than coke/pepsi...

then why just crib about coke/pepsi..

the issue is much larger than just coke/pepsi.

AGAIN think...
whats the objective.... ? ... to minimize the intake of pesticides in our body.
Do you achieve that by banning coke/pepsi?.... no b'coz whatever you take instead of coke/pepsi.. would have more pesticides.
So whats the solution?... to judicially use pesticides in the first place.

I don't know what you have against businessmen... but I can assure you - you can not generalize... and I am not a businessman by any prospective.

Last edited by SLK : 15th August 2006 at 15:29.
Old 15th August 2006, 17:52   #29
BHPian

Wasn't it on the news yesterday that some british scientist dude said that the pesticide levels are below harmful level in the drinks. Heres not to just our politicians but to are scientists as well!
Old 15th August 2006, 19:42   #30
BHPian

Ideally we should not drink/eat anyhting which has harmful substances,be it pesticides/infectious agents.

Our soil/air/water has all these up to a level which has begin to influence our health in a bad way.
So when we eat vegetables,drink water or inhale air,we do take these harmful substances inside our body.And quite obviously we should try to reduce this intake as much as we can.

Now to say that water,vegetables and air we take inside has all this and so we should not care about coke/pepsi,will not serve any purpose.

All western govt and farmers adopted to less harmful fertilisers few decades back and so they have adjusted their prices acc. to that.But Indian govt as usuall dint do this and we r still using fertilisers with higher pesticides contet which is leading to pollution of land/water with these pesticides.

Other thing is that coke/pepsi CAN adopt some mechanism by which they can test and subsequently eleminate pesticides from their respective drinks but definately our poor [many r indeed poor] farmers CANT do all this without huge financial help from our govt.

And we can always reduce the risk by cleaning vegetables/fruits and purifying water [which we all do] but how can we reduce the risk posed by colas?? Answer should be......by avoiding them!!!!

Being a doctor myself,i can say our own nimbu-pani is very good for health especially in sweaty environments but cant say same about colas.Why we still use it........i think coz its a ready-made drink,easily available and probably to show to western world that we r not far behind than u in adopting ur life-style.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks