Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you think what the passengers did was right?
Yes, it was in their own interest to safegaurd their safety. 17 43.59%
No, A person cannot be thought to be a terrorist because of the colour of his skin. 20 51.28%
I dont care!!! 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2006, 12:59   #31
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
Please lets not limit racism to caucasians... In the US so are the "AFRICAN AMERICANS" and the Mexicans... have experienced it first hand so all those who think that the persecuted dont persecute... THINK AGAIN!
Agree 100% with you. I live in Philadelphia which as all of you know is full of Blacks. Even these beggars who are mostly black again (whoever thought there are no beggars in US) is racist. I experienced an incident first hand! I pity those kids and adults who find this hip hop culture 'cool'..really
Old 25th August 2006, 13:11   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
BTW the FBI is offcially against racial profiling for reasons

1. It will "convince" terrorists to "hire" people who dont fit "the Profile"
2. By searching all passengers it sends a message to the terrorists that if the FBI is willing to search old people, children, nuns etc they wont be spared
3. They dont need lawsutis.
Valid points there and those on being fair ( color of skin) also.

The problem might be that our past experience tells us that these kindof people have been involved time and again in these acts and they probably can keep on screening everybody. Racism may not be the only reason i feel.

Coming to racism, i feel we as indians are more racist in general than others. Why complain about what the rest of the world feels when we ourselves are practising and allowing racism to flourish.

Things are changing for the better but that doesnt hide the reality does it.

The least that one can do is to practice tolerance and stop thinking that the color of the skin gives them an edge of any sort.
Old 25th August 2006, 13:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

We Indians dont permit inter caste or inter religious marriages in most cases. Casteism is as bad as racism!

We are probably the only race in the world that discriminates against its own kind- case in point- go to Pushkar- over there you are clearly told that they dont encourage indian tourists. Pref is given to american and israeli tourists.

same is the case with hotels in Paharganj in Delhi.

I am sure numerous other instances abound in india as well.

So let us not get carried away here and label the present incident with racist overtones solely. we need to do a lot of introspection and sould searching to figure out y the west has the attitude it has towards South asians.

Having lived in UK for over 5 years, I can tell you that till date, some of my best friends worldwide are white brits- the reason- I am proud of my Indan roots and respect them. hence they respect me for what I am. At the same time, I dont try to stand out in the crowd and wear my indian ness on my sleeve and expect special treatment because of that.

The same applies to these guys when they visit me in India.

of course I have faced the odd racist incident here and there but that was mostly from good for nothing louts who hang around in pubs and have nothing better to do!
Old 25th August 2006, 17:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
Ok, I am not trying to justify this, the intended question is, are you a veg or non veg.

ha ha ha,

that is the first question asked even before starting the negotiation. and i don't mind that.
Old 25th August 2006, 18:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
After all, majority of the terrorist activities around the world have been carried out by people of Asian and Libyan origin.
Well, the biggest terrorist(s) out there today are Bush and his crony Blair. Bombing countries to dust, killing so many kids/women in Iraq now and earlier in Afghanistan. Go back in American history and we have more such activities (Vietnam etc. etc). And these guys are definitely not of Asian or Libyan origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
Caucasians get scared of the slightest change in their environment and people's behaviour.
Same with any human around the globe. The difference is that the Caucasians are only bothered about their country and wellbeing and don't blink an eyelid before ordering air strikes on other countries, which result in changing other people's environment.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 25th August 2006 at 18:23.
Old 25th August 2006, 19:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Do we really need to talk about this on team-bhp?

I feel topics like religion, racism etc should be kept at bay.

I'm sure there are many other forums that concentrate on these issues.

Shan2nu
Old 25th August 2006, 20:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
We are probably the only race in the world that discriminates against its own kind- case in point- go to Pushkar- over there you are clearly told that they dont encourage indian tourists. Pref is given to american and israeli tourists.

same is the case with hotels in Paharganj in Delhi.

I am sure numerous other instances abound in india as well.
As is the case with the Leopold's pub in Colaba.
Old 25th August 2006, 20:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
As regards teh Northwest flight, I think what the airline did was absolutely justified. If you have read all the news reports, teh 12 guys had switched on their cell phones in fligt. Any moron knows that this can be dangerous and can cause interference with the electronics of teh aircraft.
Are you sure my friend that their switching on the cell phones required two F16s to bring the flight back mid way?? Is switcing on a cell phone so serious a crime?? One thing more... had any caucasian done that, would the same have happened?? I guess not...
Old 25th August 2006, 20:32   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Do we really need to talk about this on team-bhp?

I feel topics like religion, racism etc should be kept at bay.

I'm sure there are many other forums that concentrate on these issues.

Shan2nu
Lets not get into this guys. We are here for the love of automobiles! We can continue this if a car gets hijacked some day
Old 25th August 2006, 21:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a
Are you sure my friend that their switching on the cell phones required two F16s to bring the flight back mid way?? Is switcing on a cell phone so serious a crime?? One thing more... had any caucasian done that, would the same have happened?? I guess not...
if 12 caucasians had formed a group and disobeyed the rules....they will also raise same level of suspicion to me, and i would report.

it's not about cellphone, it's about collective behaviour. if they had not taken off, crew had full legal rights to offload them at AMS itself.
Old 25th August 2006, 23:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
if 12 caucasians had formed a group and disobeyed the rules....they will also raise same level of suspicion to me, and i would report.
I think the seriousness of the situation would go up if the caucasian men were brown, would become even more serious if they had a beard and 2 F-16s would accompany them if they were brown, had a beard and were muslim. its a shame but its true
Old 25th August 2006, 23:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
Lets not get into this guys. We are here for the love of automobiles! We can continue this if a car gets hijacked some day
I dont see anything wrong with discussing this topic in the shifting gears section. After all racism is somthing that affects us all. Its not somthing that should be ignored. Incidents like this create extremists and are used by terrorists to justify their cause

Last edited by khanak : 25th August 2006 at 23:45.
Old 25th August 2006, 23:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As regards teh Northwest flight, I think what the airline did was absolutely justified. If you have read all the news reports, teh 12 guys had switched on their cell phones in fligt. Any moron knows that this can be dangerous and can cause interference with the electronics of teh aircraft.
Look at the passengers that were detained. I think this was probably their first trip in a plane let alone abroad. I agree turning on a cellphone in a flight is VERY dangerous though I doubt these men were aware of that.They clearly had no intention to cause any harm. Anyways deplanign these passengers cannot really be called racism as they DID do somthing wrong. Look at the FIRST post. The only crime they commited was that they were brown
Old 26th August 2006, 05:06   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
I dont see anything wrong with discussing this topic in the shifting gears section. After all racism is somthing that affects us all. Its not somthing that should be ignored. Incidents like this create extremists and are used by terrorists to justify their cause
Yes i understand your point but I just hope it doesnt take a wrong twist here and turn ugly.
But nonetheless it is at the discretion of the mods,so i will leave them to do their job.
Old 27th August 2006, 01:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Dumb asses! Can it get more humiliating for humanity?
These Brits are the worst humans when it comes to racism!
Never had a problem in the UK. However in Holland and France I have had people calling me Paki and warning others about me wearing a suicide bomb belt.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks