Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you think what the passengers did was right?
Yes, it was in their own interest to safegaurd their safety. 17 43.59%
No, A person cannot be thought to be a terrorist because of the colour of his skin. 20 51.28%
I dont care!!! 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2006, 01:54   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
I think the seriousness of the situation would go up if the caucasian men were brown, would become even more serious if they had a beard and 2 F-16s would accompany them if they were brown, had a beard and were muslim. its a shame but its true
could be, and we all understand the history behind that. Trust me, it's not racism, it's fear of (being hostaged in kandahar or whetever, and eventually) death.

i hope u guys understand the difference between ill treating somebody because of race and being afraid (for life) of somebody because of a particular race.

it's very easy to sit back and criticize, only after knowing that they were innocent. What would be your answer if somebody told something like this is going on in a flight which carries ur immediate relatives?

you know next second you could hear an unpleasant news, right?
Old 27th August 2006, 11:24   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i hope u guys understand the difference between ill treating somebody because of race and being afraid (for life) of somebody because of a particular race.
Thats exactly what it is. This whole situation has been hyped up.

A cat is instinctively more scared of a dog than another cat, does that make it a racist (or whatever it might be called in animal terms)? The poor bugger doesn't even know what racism is. LOL

All he knows is, dogs can be dangerous so be prepared (Irrespective of whether the dog hates cats or not).

Thats exactly what happened. Don't blame the people. Blame all those terrorists for having put the fear into these peoples hearts, which in turn is affecting anyone and everyone, who is a Muslim.

Forget the adults, ask a kid to sketch a terrorist and see what happens. Even the kid knows what a terrorist looks like and when he grows up, he'l always be cautious about anyone fitting the profile.

It's sad but thats the fact, you can never be sure about anybody. Better safe than sorry.

From what i've noticed, "Racism" has become the in thing these days. 12 people get detained for a day....RACISM, 2 guys aren't allowed to board a flight.....RACISM, Pakistani team is accused of ball tampering....RACISM........

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 27th August 2006 at 11:30.
Old 27th August 2006, 16:17   #48
Team-BHP Support

Personally, the reason for holding them was valid. The lack of consular access and normal rights like lawyers, phones calls during custody was the issue.
Old 1st September 2006, 11:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Today's Deccan Chronicle has a news item about a person who was not allowed to board a flight because he had "We will not be silent" written on his T-shirt in English and Arabic.
Was the content the issue here or the fact that Arabic script was used ?
Were the airport authorities justified in not allowing him to board ?
I am not sure.

As far as I see it, it was a kind of non-violent protest against injustice (perceived or actual). But then in today's world, it might have been construed as "We will retaliate" or something on those lines. While all the guy could (possibly) have meant was we will voice our protest. Different people, different perspectives.
My take : he could have avoided this, knowing the current highly charged situation.
Old 1st September 2006, 12:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

This is purely a case of alertness.

I travelled couple of times to abroad but never once did i come across racism. Infact i had more fun with Caucasians. The only slight thing i came across that can be called Racism is once at a Subway shop in Cincinnati, Ohio a African American working there asked me to be careful with whites. They are pure racists. I just gave him a smile and walked away.

I had more incidents of discrimination in my own country from people whom i know since childhood. Why should a small kid joining in First standard should know about his caste or religion before he fills the admission form.

On a lighter note, there are some funny discriminations too.....You drive just a hatchback, i drive a sedaaaaaaaaaan and my father-in-law drives a SUUUUUUUUUUV.
Old 1st September 2006, 13:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
On a lighter note, there are some funny discriminations too.....You drive just a hatchback, i drive a sedaaaaaaaaaan and my father-in-law drives a SUUUUUUUUUUV.
satish, ain't that car-ism ? Not much to do with race.
Old 1st September 2006, 13:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
satish, ain't that car-ism ? Not much to do with race.

Unless u r into racing ur cars, then it would be racism

Sorry! bad one- but couldn't resist it
Old 1st September 2006, 14:40   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
Unless u r into racing ur cars, then it would be racism

Sorry! bad one- but couldn't resist it
ain't that bad himanshu!!
It's good that we're taking it the way we ought to take it.
All said and done, we find it (racism) every where- color of skin, lineage...
heck, we're even a bit more reluctant to mingle with a person if he/she is from a place we don't have much of a good opinion about. so raising such hue and cry (i know im gonna be hit with bricks for having said that!) - but i've my rights to voice my opine and i'll do it so would you. and that is what the passengers on the plane had done. Agreed they were a bit dumb in thinking that those guys actually were carrying ammunitions to blow up the plane even after all the security measures..
it's like - better be stupid than die of a cardiac arrest (thinking that the plane may blow up anytime) or an explosion
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks