Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2018, 06:38   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Aadhaar Card: Updating mobile number

Aadhar Card, being the highly promoted "necessary" evil that it is, should've helped enhance and improve identification ONLY for governmental processes and that in itself would've been its greatest blessing. For example Aadhar once issued should be a one stop solution for - passport, registrar related processes like property buying/selling, marriages, agreements & essential BPL services like ration card, medical care, scheme issuance, taxation etc. Basically you get correct identification + immediate approval for services that matter the most.

What Aadhar has become instead is a joke, sneeze and you should produce the card. Telecom companies are masters of spam and you need to link them to Aadhar? Next Facebook is starting to go there, albeit silently. When does it occur to anyone that in the name of security and identification, that privacy is at an all-time low today? Why is the world obsessed with knowing what each person's name, age and other finer details are? Data mining for businesses were supposed to have started out as a generalized preference mapping system, google further refined that to individual preference mapping (red-alert), and if next Aadhar is required for google+android to function all hell will break loose.

I would consider Aadhar to be a fine tool if it helps protect us from the rampant bureaucracy that plagues every government office.. instead of producing PAN, Voter ID, BSNL bill etc etc the Aadhar should be the Swiss-army knife of ID's.. BUT to private services, I will resist this till the last day I can. The limit was in knowing that an elderly woman in north was refused admission because she didn't hold the great "card" and she passed away because of lack of treatment while being right inside a hospital.. she was the wife of a Kargil hero at that.

Edit: Airtel once cut my phone services way back 2-3 months citing non-linkage with Aadhar, I immediately sent PORT instructions to them and when they called two days later I told them I'm jumping to Jio.. it took them under 2 minutes to restore my network to full glory. What underhanded tactics are these? Way more than the majority of people aren't bad, nor do they misuse their identity in any way or form, why should they have to pay for the minority of the public who cheat and defraud?

Last edited by dark.knight : 5th January 2018 at 06:40.
Old 5th January 2018, 09:48   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I told them I'm jumping to Jio.. it took them under 2 minutes to restore my network to full glory.
Jio activates only through Aadhaar AFAIK. Aadhaar is a necessary evil no doubts about that.

If I produce some personal details to a service provider, they should be able to conform it is me. No other functionalities should have been linked to aadhaar. The government is doing this in opposite direction.
Old 9th January 2018, 13:46   #63
Team-BHP Support

What's with Aadhaar and mobile having to be same circle? Isn't the thing supposed to be a national ID?

What next? Separate state-level Aadhaar?
Old 9th January 2018, 14:19   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What's with Aadhaar and mobile having to be same circle? Isn't the thing supposed to be a national ID?
I don't think that is the case. I recently ported to Airtel prepaid in Pune and only proof I gave was Aadhar details which is issued in Chhattisgarh. I remember Jio used to ask for same state Aadhar for new connections but that was for instant activation while other state Aadhar would take couple of days to get activated.
Old 9th January 2018, 14:24   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I don't think that is the case. I recently ported to Airtel prepaid in Pune and only proof I gave was Aadhar details which is issued in Chhattisgarh. I remember Jio used to ask for same state Aadhar for new connections but that was for instant activation while other state Aadhar would take couple of days to get activated.
Airtel is bombarding me with SMSes to link Aadhaar through the new IVR system. The SMS clearly states 'ensure Aadhaar and mobile number are from same state'.
Old 9th January 2018, 14:30   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Airtel is bombarding me with SMSes to link Aadhaar through the new IVR system. The SMS clearly states 'ensure Aadhaar and mobile number are from same state'.
I wonder why this would be required. In fact I had gone to exclusive Airtel store for porting connection which was previously in Mumbai circle and got it ported to Maharashtra circle with CG aadhar details. Apart from possibly more time to verify the details, there shouldn't be any effect of not having aadhar from same mobile telephone circle.
Old 9th January 2018, 14:31   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly the issue I am facing with Aadhar from KL and connections in TN. Even when visited Airtel store, they refused to process.

Called to customer care and was told to wait for further updates and not link now.
Old 9th January 2018, 14:38   #68
Team-BHP Support

I don't have an issue with providing details (probably no choice ultimately anyway), but I'm not jumping through hoops to meet arbitrary demands like these.
They can have my Aadhaar number without making a nuisance, or I'll gladly port out to one of their several competitors if it comes to that. It's not like I don't already hate their network coverage and assorted shenanigans. Don't give me an excuse Airtel, you'll lose two decade-old corporate postpaid connections.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th January 2018 at 14:40.
Old 9th January 2018, 15:34   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Exactly the issue I am facing with Aadhar from KL and connections in TN. Even when visited Airtel store, they refused to process.

Called to customer care and was told to wait for further updates and not link now.
I have KL Aadhaar and mobile connections in KA from BSNL and Airtel. I didn't have any issues in verifying the connections with Aadhaar. I did it about two months ago from respective customer service centers.
Old 9th January 2018, 15:45   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's with Aadhaar and mobile having to be same circle?
I am not surprised that pointy-hairs in airtel have devised this red-tape block. After all one of key skills in their repertoire is the ability to miss the forest for the trees. Sorry mate, mine was within the same circle. I didn't have to encounter their evil design. But I am concerned about airtel secretly opening a savings account and transacting on my behalf.
Old 9th January 2018, 15:52   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopetrol View Post
I have KL Aadhaar and mobile connections in KA from BSNL and Airtel. I didn't have any issues in verifying the connections with Aadhaar. I did it about two months ago from respective customer service centers.
Guess is it higher security procedures followed by Airtel!!!
Old 9th January 2018, 15:54   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopetrol View Post
May be someone at the store thought that finger prints will be different for TN and KL.
Old 9th January 2018, 19:16   #73
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody successfully linked Idea numbers using tele-verification ? I have 4 of them in the family,and as soon as I select "Indian National" on any one of them, it tells me that re-verification cannot be completed and I need to visit the stupid Idea store.
Old 10th January 2018, 08:43   #74
BHPian

Bit OT:

Anyone with Aadhar number can know all your back accounts.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/ne...from=home-tech
Old 10th January 2018, 09:38   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Bit OT:

Anyone with Aadhar number can know all your back accounts.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/ne...from=home-tech
False: It shows just the Bank name and not the account numbers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks