Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2018, 14:50   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Aadhaar Card: Updating mobile number

Now, for some fun at the expense of crores of telecom subscribers who went by the book and chose to get a new sim card/validate their old ones by submitting their AADHAAR as proof of identity and address. TOI carries this report.
Quote:
There could be a fresh KYC headache for over 50 crore mobile connections , or almost half of India’s phone population. They stare at the prospect of disconnection if SIM cards procured on the basis of Aadhaar verification are not backed up by a fresh identification... Reliance Jio... Bharti Airtel, Vodafone-Idea, and state-owned BSNL and MTNL...
Quote:
millions of older customers are also left with only the digital Aadhaar identification since their previous pre-Aadhaar KYC paper documents may have been destroyed by telecom companies once their numbers were linked with Aadhaar. The freedom to destroy the older documents was accorded by the government in March last year since the documents were going digital by linkage with Aadhaar.
Solution?
Quote:
On the way forward, sources said that customers may now have to submit a fresh identification document as part of the KYC process. This could be a copy of the passport, driving licence, voter’s card, electricity bill, gas bill or PAN card
We had a few round wheels that were broken into pieces and a single non circular contraption was devised. It was said to be a panacea for all ills and evils. Now, that contraption has been found to be in contravention of established laws and hence it is back to square one; oh sorry, round one.
And yes, Xerox copies have got back their glories .

Last edited by dailydriver : 18th October 2018 at 14:52.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 15:04   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Now, for some fun at the expense of crores of telecom subscribers who went by the book and chose to get a new sim card/validate their old ones by submitting their AADHAAR as proof of identity and address.

Quote:
They stare at the prospect of disconnection if SIM cards procured on the basis of Aadhaar verification are not backed up by a fresh identification... Reliance Jio... Bharti Airtel, Vodafone-Idea, and state-owned BSNL and MTNL...
Quote:
millions of older customers are also left with only the digital Aadhaar identification since their previous pre-Aadhaar KYC paper documents may have been destroyed by telecom companies once their numbers were linked with Aadhaar. The freedom to destroy the older documents was accorded by the government in March last year since the documents were going digital by linkage with Aadhaar.
I'd say the stance of customers - especially those who had connections taken prior to Aadhaar and subsequently linked their Aadhaar with their SIMs should be simple, and firm:

"I've provided you my ID and address proof based on which you gave me a connection years ago. If you've now destroyed those proofs, that's not my concern. I'm happy to give you a copy of those once again, at a time of my convenience, but you've got to discount my bill by the cost of those photocopies. Knock fifty rupees off my bill for inconveniencing me for your mistake of deleting the proofs I submitted."

We should remember - and make our provider aware - that the same paperwork we've been asked to submit will suffice to port our number to a new provider.

PS: I'm not sure those would have been destroyed - they will most likely have been digitized and archived (and retained, especially given the challenges around Aadhaar linkage that have been swirling for over a year). Bear in mind that many such providers are happy for us to provide these forms online via WhatsApp/email.

Last edited by arunphilip : 18th October 2018 at 15:14.
Old 18th October 2018, 17:17   #123
Team-BHP Support

Well, if this nonsense comes to pass after all the Aadhaar shenanigans, all they're getting from me is some un-parliamentary words and an invitation to take the SIM card and shove it where the sun doesn't shine while I port out.
Old 18th October 2018, 17:32   #124
BHPian

Now probably people who were ranting about breach of privacy due to aadhar, would know the importance of it.

I'm fed up of this KYC, Re-KYC, CKYC and what not...for everything. As if we have no other work to do.

And these service providers, banks and telecom companies and all else, they will send their agents to the moon (if you happen to be there) to gather the documents for selling their insurance policies, credit cards, and SIM cards. But once you are a customer, they would say "Saar, you need to come to our nearest branch with all documents in original as well as photo copies to complete the MANDATORY" KYC, otherwise your services will be terminated/suspended".
Old 18th October 2018, 19:13   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
...and an invitation to take the SIM card and shove it where the sun doesn't shine while I port out.
Sadly, there is no out as such. Every dark tunnel that promises a ray of light ultimately ends up taking us towards a further darker, denser black hole.

When all and sundry around me were clamoring for that elusive Jio sim, I preferred to stay away because I didn't want to give away my biometrics to a private player; and I was proud of it! Today, the same biometrics have been dutifully submitted to a couple of non-sarkaari telecom, broadcast and banking firms. It was indeed a Hobson's choice.

Notwithstanding their outward competitiveness and squabbles, the telecom sector is actually a shameless oligarchy. They set the terms; we follow them. The Government pretends to supervise us both, but ends up devoting its time and energy to benefit the former.
Old 18th October 2018, 20:48   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Sadly, there is no out as such. Every dark tunnel that promises a ray of light ultimately ends up taking us towards a further darker, denser black hole. ...
Oh, I know! Chalk that rant up to the momentary chest-thumping of a captive customer who knows he hasn't really got much sway when it comes to it, except opting out of the service altogether.

Who knows, they piss us off enough to dump our cellphones and get some peace of mind back. I wouldn't miss it one bit. One can dream!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th October 2018 at 20:54.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 09:24   #127
BHPian

Re: Aadhaar Card: Updating mobile number

I am not sure if there is anyone out there who don’t yet know that they need to lock their biometrics for AADHAR. I locked it for all my immediate family members long back. Few weeks back, my cousin called me from police station that he is submitting FIR for a fraud that happened to him and he lost 11.54 lakhs of rupees due to Aadhar bank fraud. The first question I asked him is if he has locked his biometrics and he said No. Hence this message is for all who have not locked biometrics as of today. Police could get most of the money back for my cousin except for 2.15 lakhs which is kept on hold and eventually he can recover through court. This whole experience is discussed internally in our family Whatsup group with full of chartered accountants and very high ranking retired officers in public sector banks on what precautions we may need to take. I am giving some suggestions given below.

RISKS with internet banking and mobile based payment system is STILL developing. RBI is working on forcing the payment gateways to stop allowing transactions through netweaver type remote operations.
But the fraudster is always one step ahead of banks,.technologists and hapless customers.
The simplest thumb rule is,
IF WE CANNOT PLAY CARDS BETTER THAN THE OTHER, BEST WAY IS TO STOP PLAYING.
Meaning, let us use safe methods like :
1. Don't keep more than 50 k in SB account linked to online banking.
2. Keep other funds in other banks WITHOUT Internet banking or ATM cards and use Cheque system.
3. Do not create FDs online as they can be cancelled and credited to SB acct by fraudsters too.

Another related thread forwarded to our family Whatsup group :

BIG ALERT- Dear All, Urgent Announcement - CYBER CRIME – Yesterday (05-06-2023) I have noticed that in my bank account there were multiple withdrawals amounting to Rs. 10,000/- and below in 5 sets of transactions amounting Rs. 33,500/- in total, without any SMS Alert to My Mobile. This happened through AEPS - Aadhaar Enabled Payment System. Your finger prints are being taken from the documents at various Sub-Registrar Offices or wherever you have used them, and being cloned and the fraudsters are drawing money from your bank accounts, the maximum limit per withdrawal being Rs. 10,000/- WHAT TO DO? Immediately make a complaint at Cyber Crime Police Station if it’s more than Rs. 50,000/-, otherwise at your Local Police Station, get the FIR copy and lodge a complaint in the Bank. They will get back your money within 60 days. Afterwards, you can download “mAadhaar” APP in your mobile and LOCK YOUR BIOMETRICS (Finger Prints) in the Aadhaar Portal. Whenever you want to use it, unlock it and again lock it through the APP. Please Don't Ignore, I have come across 5 such cases of my clients in this month.
Mystic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 15:15   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
you can download “mAadhaar” APP in your mobile and LOCK YOUR BIOMETRICS (Finger Prints) in the Aadhaar Portal. Whenever you want to use it, unlock it and again lock it through the APP.
Thanks a lot for this useful information.

I just did that, never knew before about the biometric lock. Its more appalling to know that most of my team members are also not aware about this. Spreading some awareness within my office today and earning some blessings.
UD17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 22:36   #129
Senior - BHPian

mAadhar app crashed on my android phone! Was able to us it once and lock my biometric, but post that, kept crashing (regardless of uninstalling and reinstalling).
Old 1st September 2023, 18:06   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I am not sure if there is anyone out there who don’t yet know that they need to lock their biometrics for AADHAR. I locked it for all my immediate family members long back. F

----- you want to use it, unlock it and again lock it through the APP. Please Don't Ignore, I have come across 5 such cases of my clients in this month.
Hi,

I did download this app and locked my biometrics. Thanks for the heads up.

However, I was thinking as if how can my biometrics be used without me knowing? May be when one is unconscious or so, but then that will be an extreme situation; but how come fraudsters use the biometrics is a question that still perplexes me. Any idea or situation that how it can be misused/ done?

Thanks.
Old 1st September 2023, 20:15   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hi,

I did download this app and locked my biometrics. Thanks for the heads up.

However, I was thinking as if how can my biometrics be used without me knowing? May be when one is unconscious or so, but then that will be an extreme situation; but how come fraudsters use the biometrics is a question that still perplexes me. Any idea or situation that how it can be misused/ done?

Thanks.
There is no way of you knowing. We use Aadhar finger print authentication when we buy SIM cards, at Government Registrar offices when doing real estate transactions and a lot of other places. Fraudsters would collude with the person who is using the machine and clone your finger prints. These cloned plastic sheets would be used to withdraw money from your bank without the need of OTP. I am not sure of the exact cloning techniques but don’t worry our cyber security now a days is also catching up with fraudsters techniques and we need to be patient after reporting. It seems there is a very good chance of getting the money back through legal channels. I also have a high regard to the security of Aadhar database as it has one of the most highly guarded security system in the world and it is nearly impossible to breach.

Last edited by Mystic : 1st September 2023 at 20:17.
Mystic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks