Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2008, 17:52   #511
Team-BHP Support

Beaufeeeful hydra/ The car is nice shiny clean, and the scenery complements the car instead of detracting
Old 2nd July 2008, 18:31   #512
rippergeo

Hydra where is this pic taken? nice one!

Old 2nd July 2008, 18:55   #513
BHPian

The first one is a killer! The car looks really BIG (because of the narrow road?)
Old 2nd July 2008, 19:23   #514
Senior - BHPian

Whew! Thanks for the nice words, folks! I wasn't sure if the pics were up to muster.

@ripper, the first pic was taken on the road to Doddabetta Peak from Ooty, immediately after the checkpost/fee-collection-point. That first snap is my favourite from the entire trip (I did a 3 day drive around Ooty with my wife last week. My wife was complaining that I was snapping the car more than her. Though not completely true, when I downloaded the snaps, I found that her comment was not too far off the mark heh, heh)

The second snap was taken on the way to Pykara Falls from Ooty. Best roads I've driven in. Curves galore, and great, great surface. And beautiful sights all through. Before I knew it, I was past the falls and halfway on the way to Mysore. I think I have a video someplace with me. My wife tends to feel sick with fast driving on curves, so I did not really get to enjoy the road to its full potential.

@jeep, that snap is my favourite too! The road is pretty narrow (just barely enough for 2 cars side-by-side).

Now that you folks've created a monster, I'm posting a few more snaps from the same trip

The Auto-Image thread-swiftinmist2vert.jpg

The Auto-Image thread-002.jpg

The Auto-Image thread-003.jpg
These three snaps were taken on the same road as the first snap in my earlier post (#511).

The Auto-Image thread-004.jpg
This snap was taken near the TODA Hut on the Doddabetta Peak.

The Auto-Image thread-005.jpg
This snap was taken on the same road as the second snap in my earlier post (#511).

Last edited by hydrashok : 2nd July 2008 at 19:27.
Old 2nd July 2008, 19:35   #515
rippergeo

Showoff!!!!
you with your 16 inch wheels and white paintjob.
the scenery doesnt help my jealousy either.
time to go to ooty.

about the wifey being car sick, hehehehe- join the club!

Old 2nd July 2008, 19:43   #516
Senior - BHPian

Really nice pictures Ashok! But lose the front bumper protectors & if possible the rears too, they're ruining the clean lines of the car!
Old 2nd July 2008, 19:43   #517
Team-BHP Support

The above image is almost enchanting, the background right out of Lord of the Rings.

Only problem is that the car is overexposed, that is because the dark background is correctly exposed. If you had shot in raw, then you would have got much better dynamic range during PP. HDR could also help in such shooting condition.
Old 2nd July 2008, 20:09   #518
rippergeo

did this make it better or worse?
Attached Thumbnails
The Auto-Image thread-swiftinmist1-copy.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2008, 20:18   #519
BHPian

ripper stop meddling with the picture. its perfect as is. your so called attempts to enhance the look is all a front to deface this lovely shot :P hehe

amazing shots hydra. this calls for a D.R.I.V.E along the said route. hmmmm...
Old 2nd July 2008, 20:31   #520
rippergeo

ASHVIN- have mercy on a poor PS3 learner.
I liked the original pic. was trying to do what samurai suggested.

Old 2nd July 2008, 20:36   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I liked the original pic. was trying to do what samurai suggested.
I suggested using raw mode while clicking, not PSing this image.
Old 2nd July 2008, 22:27   #522
BHPian

@Hydra
Awesome shots.
Regards,
TG.
Old 3rd July 2008, 08:23   #523
Team-BHP Support

Hydrashock,

The first shot is stunning, but only one thing detracted from it. As Samu said >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
...the car is overexposed....
You have to be careful with a white car in these conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If you had shot in raw, then you would have got much better dynamic range during PP. HDR could also help in such shooting condition.
Given that you arent using a DSLR / a camera that supports RAW - here are two alternatives (not necessarily as good though).

1) Auto Exposure Bracket(AEB) your images. You're more likely to get one with good results if you are shooting in tricky light situations. Also, if you are shooting with a tripod - you can use this to convert to HDR (discussed earlier in this thread)

2) View the histogram after shooting to check for blown highlights, or, some cameras (i know canons do) flash the overexposed parts of the image when you are viewing them on the display after taking the shot. So in this case, your car bonnet would have been flashing on the display and you would know that you need to correct the exposure and re-take.

Anyway, that being said - super shot!!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd July 2008 at 10:03. Reason: Oops, hydra, not rippergeo.
Old 3rd July 2008, 09:39   #524
BHPian

Anup, That first picture is Amazing.

I think you should continue doing this.
Old 3rd July 2008, 09:45   #525
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, @ishaan, A S H V I N, Samurai, Torqueguru, Rehaan!

@Ishaan, those strips are going out during the second service

@Samurai & Rehaan, coming from you folks, appreciation is definitely special!

@Samurai, I was lucky to have mist, a light drizzle, evening-light and a clear road, all at the same time. That road looks truly enchanting! The picture is not even half of how beautiful that road really is. "Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring" was the first thing that came to my mind too! I half expected to see the Dark Riders come galloping up the road at any moment.
Most of what you and Rehaan said have gone right over my head (I don't even own a Digicam - was using my Wife's P&S). But my wife is a MassComm grad from Symbiosis and she's had a quite bit of formal training & experience with photography & videography, so she will be able to make sense of all that.

@ripper and A S H V I N, I'd love to drive those roads again! Ripper, my policy is: If you have it, flaunt it

@Manoj, just saw your post. Thanks a lot! Now that I will be doing about thrice the tripping I usually do (my wife is a road-trip nut), I think I will do more shooting.

Last edited by hydrashok : 3rd July 2008 at 09:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks