Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2022, 17:47   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) thread

Not really a HAM Question but most seasoned HAM's should have the answer. I'm looking to buy a World Band Radio. Since internet on the ship is limited and playing internet radio is not an option, I thought of buying a radio. Once upon a time a lot of Seafareres used the buy the Sony ICF SW7600GR or similar models.
https://mwcircle.org/legacy-receiver...-icf-sw7600gr/
Sony has discontinued this series. Current options are from companies like Sangean or Tecsun.

I've shortlisted the Tecsun PL-880
https://swling.com/blog/2013/12/a-re...ortwave-radio/
and the Sangean ATS-909X
https://swling.com/blog/tag/sangean-ats-909x-review/

Which one to buy or any other recomendations?
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 17:52   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Not really a HAM Question but most seasoned HAM's should have the answer. I'm looking to buy a World Band Radio. Since internet on the ship is limited and playing internet radio is not an option, I thought of buying a radio. Once upon a time a lot of Seafareres used the buy the Sony ICF SW7600GR or similar models.
https://mwcircle.org/legacy-receiver...-icf-sw7600gr/
Sony has discontinued this series. Current options are from companies like Sangean or Tecsun.

I've shortlisted the Tecsun PL-880
https://swling.com/blog/2013/12/a-re...ortwave-radio/
and the Sangean ATS-909X
https://swling.com/blog/tag/sangean-ats-909x-review/

Which one to buy or any other recomendations?

You would not find the SONY so easily but Tecsun/Sangean are easily the next best and the ones you have chosen are great radios. I am a ham for the last 30 years, and a SWL. I listen to utility traffic including your marine traffic 4/8/12/16MHz, channel markers, NAVTEX, WFAX, DSC etc. This site has radios in India:

https://www.fabtolab.com/radio/FM-AM-SW

Stay away from PL36x etc. The ATS909 should keep you happy for a very long time and it has SSB too! You could also look at SDRs. Like Airspy HF+. Needs an antenna and a laptop. No internet. I have not tried it yet.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 17th June 2022 at 18:14.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 14:05   #138
BHPian

I am planning to give my ASOC exam in a few months and so wanted some guidance/ suggestions regarding radio equipment, so that I can plan for the purchase.

I do not have the money, time or space (for antennas) to invest in a HF setup and it has been a long term goal of mine to build a HF transreceiver, so my radio shack is now going to be limited to VHF/UHF.

Also India has only the 144-166 MHz and the 434-448 MHz right now, other bands seem to have been rescinded.

I have 2 questions:
1. Analog or Digital?
Is it possible to use a analog radio, (say Baofeng UV9R) which can be programmed, hooked to a PC (like a Raspberry Pi) and convert it into a digital radio? Or should I just end up getting a Digital Radio?

2. Power?
The information I have collected shows that India has a max of 25w power in the 2m and 70 cm bands.
Should I get a base station with this rating or should I get a handheld like the BaoFeng UV9R (8w output) with an external antenna?

I also thought of another possibility, use a BaoFeng UV9R with a RF amplifier thereby effectively giving me a 2 in 1 radio, however I hit a roadblock on the availability of such VHF/UHF amplifiers in India. I also have not considered the potential drawbacks.

A quick search showed me several homebrew circuits but again my question is whether these are frequency limited/ analog/digital limited (A BaoFeng site has different amps for VHF UHF and analog/ digital)

Now, I live in Chennai and we do have a repeater on the VHF and UHF, hence my handheld should be enough to make contacts in the city.
Will the extra power of the base station help me in making contacts at a farther distance, say around 150 KMs away? (without using a yagi/directional antenna)

I know that antennas/coax etc are also an important part of the equation, however the way I see it, antennas/ coax etc are all the standard part of this equation and the only variable is the unit itself.

I have also observed that there aren't many online sites and only NPC wireless and Radio Brewary have prices on the site itself. If y'all can suggest other websites/stores I shall be obliged.

Attaching a link of all the radios I have considered.

BaoFeng UV9R (Handheld Analog, 10W, both VHF and UHF)Link

QYT-KT890D (Base Station Analog 25W, comes with a dual band car antenna, both VHF and UHF)Link

Motorola XIR M 3688 (Base Station Digital 25W, only VHF)Link

BaoFeng Amplifier (Only VHF, has separate amps for VHF/UHF and Analog/Digital)Link

Of all the radios, I'm most inclined with the QYT-KT890D considering it's price point and all in 1 package, but of course if I can get much better, I don't mind spending the money associated with it.

Am I approaching this the right way or should I be looking at it differently?

Thank you.

Last edited by alphamike_1612 : 1st January 2023 at 14:09.
alphamike_1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 15:51   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamike_1612 View Post
Of all the radios, I'm most inclined with the QYT-KT890D considering it's price point and all in 1 package, but of course if I can get much better, I don't mind spending the money associated with it.

Am I approaching this the right way or should I be looking at it differently?

Thank you.
My suggestion is to first get a cheap Baofeng handy and get on-air. To hit the local repeaters, this should be sufficient. If you like the hobby and are willing to put in the time and have the resources, go for an expensive base station later on.

The 25W base stations alone will not be enough for distant communication. You would definitely need an external roof-mounted antenna. I am talking from experience. Your mileage would depend on the elevation of the area you are in and the floor etc.
Jaguar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 20:49   #140
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to give my ASOC exam in a few months and so wanted some guidance/ suggestions regarding radio equipment, so that I can plan for the purchase.
All the best for the exams and see you on air soon!

Quote:
1. Analog or Digital?
Is it possible to use a analog radio, (say Baofeng UV9R) which can be programmed, hooked to a PC (like a Raspberry Pi) and convert it into a digital radio? Or should I just end up getting a Digital Radio?
I suggest you to get analog radio first. If you have more budget you may get a DMR radio that supports analog FM also. There aren't many digital repeaters in India, so you will have to get a hotspot (which basically converts the RF signals to digital data and routed over the internet) to get on to Internet linked repeaters (mostly abroad) or contact someone else with similar setup (handful are there in India). Having said that, there are a few kits available to hook up to Raspberry pi, that will run some software transcoding for converting analog to digital. These work, but the audio quality cannot be matched with a hardware codec (mostly proprietary). There are some open protocols being developed for Amateur use and the prominent one is M17 (https://m17project.org/)
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2023, 23:02   #141
BHPian

Thank you Bejoy and Jaguar for your replies. I have decided to get a UV5R as Jaguar suggested, test the waters and then splurge on equipment.

On another note, I had sent an RTI to WPC/DOT regarding reception of bands other than amateur/CB/Broadcast bands. I had searched the internet high and low for an answer but couldn't get one. Several HAM and SWL enthusiasts both online and offline told me it wasn't a problem, but again I felt my case was unique in the fact that I wouldn't be in the privacy of my home and hence went ahead with the RTI.

I know the RTI doesn't allow for interpretation of laws, but I felt it would be better to have atleast a quasi legal document if the cops catch me listening to airband when plane spotting.

Turns out it is still illegal. Attaching a screenshot of the RTI reply for everyone here.
The Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) thread-screenshot_20230113_175720_samsung-notes.jpg
I know this is a practically unenforceable rule, unless they are hell bent on doing so and hence listening in the privacy of your home is safe enough.

Also according to the reply I've received it's illegal to own even an SDR.
alphamike_1612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 10:21   #142
BHPian

Hi

Earlier there were 4 classes of licenses, old timers would know, including SWL licenses. It has been abolished. Only 2 licenses restricted and general, exist now.

It has been seen many times, the CPIO may not have current information or information on relatively less important "ham radio" activities. There are top court judgements, that reception of airwaves by an individual is not controllable, the further distribution and disclosure, however, is not permitted without authorization.

Ron, VU2ORO

NB : get a dual bander, both base/mobile and a handy, and a ground plane or a collinear antenna and you are good to go. Try cross band repeat etc. so you can communicate longer distances through your base station while taking a stroll, talking on your handy.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 16th January 2023 at 10:24.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 18:20   #143
Senior - BHPian

Indian Wireless Telegraphs (Amateur Service) Rules, 1978
Section VIII of Annexure I has an interesting clause.
VIII. Secrecy of Correspondence : If any message which the licensee is not entitled to receive is, nevertheless received, the licensee shall not make known or allow to be made known its contents, its origin or destination, its existence or the fact of its receipt to any person (Other than duly authorised officer of the Central Government or a competent legal tribunal) and shall not reproduce in writing, copy or make any use of such message or allow the same to be reproduced in writing, copied or made use of.

This means to say that the government authorities do recognize the fact that there are chances that HAM radio operators may receive messages which they are NOT entitled to recieve. But then they should NOT share that message contents or information, or make any recordings of the same and share these recordings. One question in the RTI application was if recordings can be made and shared on YouTube. This would be a strict No, No. But if a licensed operators gets to hear these messages, there is nothing much which can be done.

NOTE: There have been cases where the police have picked up people who they suspect to be intercepting their messages. Such people would have a tough time if they don't have any license or authority confirming them to have wireless sets in their possession.

On how FlightRadar etc gets information, what I understand is that they get data from the Secondary Radar transponder which is fixed to all civilian air crafts. Secondary Radar system on ground sends a signal out, any air craft which gets this signal sends out a signal from its own transponder. FlightRadar folks have some simple devices which they encourage people to fix at their homes. These devices have to be linked to the internet to share the information.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 08:12   #144

Quote:

Now, I live in Chennai and we do have a repeater on the VHF and UHF, hence my handheld should be enough to make contacts in the city.
Will the extra power of the base station help me in making contacts at a farther distance, say around 150 KMs away? (without using a yagi/directional antenna)

It depends on the "quality" of the repeater. I am consistently able to hit a repeater approx 130kms away with my 5W handheld, but another repeater which is roughly 80kms away is spotty even with my base operating at 25W. Also, make sure your antenna is mounted at the maximum possible height away from trees and electric lines.

For a dual-band base VHF/UHF with a crossband repeater, I strongly recommend Alinco DR-638. It is the most economical mobile/base station with a load of features and good transmission quality. It can even listen in on AM in the Airband frequencies. I got mine at INR 24k with a group buy discount.
For the external antenna, please check out UMS Technologies, Coimbatore. Their 2m antenna (~5k with shipping) is of superior quality and most of the Japanese antennas you get in India are most likely fake. A Diamond/Nagoya can easily cost upwards of 10k and you'll most likely end up with a fake unless you know the seller very well.
VivekVenu94 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 00:47   #145
BHPian

Glad to announce that I am now a licenced HAM.
DE VU3BWV.

I have a doubt about the logbook.

How do I log my repeater net contacts? Do I have to mention the callsign of each member checking in or do I simply use the repeater callsign?

Also would anyone be willing to send a picture of their logbook either here or via DM?

Would like to know how the experienced HAMs log their contacts.

Once again, a heartfelt thanks to this thread and the people who kept it alive. Seeing it is what made me rekindle my interest and finally made me take the exam.

Regards,
Alphamike-1612
alphamike_1612 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 20:03   #146
BHPian

Quote:
DE VU3BWV.
Congrats! Will catch up on the air, someday!

Quote:
How do I log my repeater net contacts? Do I have to mention the callsign of each member checking in or do I simply use the repeater callsign?
It is a personal preference. I don't log repeater contacts, but only direct contacts. Also, I do only electronic logging. There are various software available on all platforms. The standard format is ADIF, that enables to backup or move contacts to any platform.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 11:11   #147

Quote:
DE VU3BWV.

I have a doubt about the logbook.

Regards,
Alphamike-1612
Congrats on getting your licence! DE VU3TDI.

I personally log the Net Controller's callsign and QTH, along with the RST through the repeater (almost always 59) since I don't get a direct copy.

Cheers and 73s!
Old 24th November 2023, 10:44   #148

Congratulations

I am planning to apply for a HAM license.

Is submitting a nationality certificate a mandatory requirement? I do not have any known people of mine in Gazzattee position. I don't know how to go about it. Is submitting a passport enough?

Quote:
DE VU3BWV.

Last edited by graaja : 24th November 2023 at 11:10. Reason: Trimming quoted text. Please quote only a small or relevant part of a post
Old 24th November 2023, 22:24   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by "mdbilal
Is submitting a nationality certificate a mandatory requirement? I do not have any known people of mine in Gazzattee position. I don't know how to go about it. Is submitting a passport enough?
It is a mandatory requirement. Submitting passport copy will not be sufficient. Please refer to the template for the "Nationality Certificate" given here. With the copy of your passport, you will be able to convince the Gazzetted rank officer to sign off on the Nationality certificate.

This link may help you to identify the possible gazetted officer you can approach. Even the head master of a government high school is a gazetted officer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks