Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2015, 17:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Where do you get live worms?
Why do you need live worms? Good feed is better. Hikari make some of the best fish feed in the hobby today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
how do you clean the white colored water marks left over at the top of the glass surface ? The white colored marks on all 4 sides depending on the level of water which was present in the tank ?
sponge and water scrubbing it gently should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu View Post
I have been into fish keeping for about 6 years now and gradually moved from a mini tank to a 2ft tank currently. Aiming for a 3 or 4 feet tank in the next 6 months. Took me time to get a hang of things with fish dying very frequently earlier and experimenting with different types of fish.

My current tank has 4 sharks, 2 cichlids, 1 angel fish and 1 sucker. replace 20% water every 10 days or so and do a complete tank clean up once in 3-4 months.
Please stop experimenting with fishes and deaths. Enough and more sites and forums exist in the interwebs loaded with good information on everything related to the fish hobby. Coming to your tank, it is over stocked with wrong type of fishes.

That sucker does more harm for a tank your size than good. Get a smaller one. The angel fish you have is actually not an angel fish.

Read about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_moony

It need brackish water and is best kept in shoals

And i think you have a couple of tin foil barbs. They are big fishes which love to roam all around the place and are best kept in ponds or very large tanks [6ft plus]

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Question I had: If a filter system is attached, does one still need to totally empty the tank and scrub it clean..? How often do these filter rotate the water in the tank per day.
Never should totally empty the tank and scrub it. Filtration depends on the tank size and type of fishes you have. A good bio filter will really help you keep the water quality good along with fortnightly/monthly 50% water changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
cleaning took nearly two hours every other week and was getting difficult due to time issues.

At home i've now maintained a small aesthetic bowl with tetras. I love a planted tank rather than an empty one. Plants in my opinion bring out colours in fish.
wonder why you had to clean tank every other week? and nice tetras but try setting them up in a rectangular/sqaure tank instead of a fish bowl.
Old 29th October 2015, 18:42   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Those were days before filters. That's why.

Thanks for the tip. But I'll stick to my bowl since I don't find anything wrong with my setup.
Old 29th October 2015, 19:39   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Those were days before filters. That's why.

Thanks for the tip. But I'll stick to my bowl since I don't find anything wrong with my setup.
ah ok

and nothing wrong in a bowl setup if you feel that way, just saying you can do wonders for a neon tetra in a rectangular tank. heck even a one footer would be awesome if done well instead of a bowl.

better plants, better filtration. looks good and will be better for the neons. just my opinion
Old 29th October 2015, 19:55   #34
BHPian

This was my tank at approximately 18 month's maintenance.
Tetras, guppies and platies enjoyed in the tank along with red cherry shrimps.

Used the water from mineral water supply guys in 20 litres for changes and top-ups to keep water soft. 36Watts X 2 PLL inside the cieling fixture modified to fit on the tank.
ADA Amazonia substrate really helped plants grow well. Very fertile and for long. Used white sand in the edges to create kinf of island effect.
Drigft woods all wild collected.

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_2415-copy.jpg

I stripped this and currently working on a marine set-up.

Thanks!
shyamhegde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 09:42   #35
BHPian

Hi petrol_power,

Thanks in bringing alive my old hobby, which died a natural death when I shifted my city, from sweet home to a rented flat coupled with frequent travels abroad.
I did not see any sharks, which are also easier to maintain like Goldfish or was it a compatibility issue as sharks do not co-exist with many varieties. Also I believe there is scope for increasing the fish count in the same tank.
Old 30th October 2015, 10:01   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi petrol_power,

Thanks in bringing alive my old hobby, which died a natural death when I shifted my city, from sweet home to a rented flat coupled with frequent travels abroad.
I did not see any sharks, which are also easier to maintain like Goldfish or was it a compatibility issue as sharks do not co-exist with many varieties. Also I believe there is scope for increasing the fish count in the same tank.
Quite contrary, I found my 4 bala sharks to be easiest in terms of co-existence ! I have clubbed these sharks with Goldies, with Mollies, even with Tetra - and have never experienced their fighting, or nipped tails !

I must say these sharks are pretty hard varieties ! Once, While cleaning the tank, one jumped out and under the table - it took me atleast couple of minutes, and the gills were not moving - but still I let it in aquarium - and voila, it was active as ever !! This was couple of years ago - and the same shark is still with me
Old 30th October 2015, 11:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

Bala Sharks are beautiful fishes best in groups Such an active fish. Too bad they are endangered in the wild.

I'm setting up a 100L square tank to raise some Juvenile Indonesian Datnoids along with Clown Loaches and a sailfin juvenile pleco. Got the tank set up with fine black gravel and black stickers on the back and side with a big piece of driftwood for the dats to hide behind.

It's a pleasant enough hobby to have but once you get caught into it and want the best for your exotic fishes then its a fast money drainer :P

The other tank i have in my flat is a standard 300L tank with clown loaches [yep i love them], yo yo loaches, a severum and a buttikoferi cichlid.

Used to have a terrace full of tanks when i was living with my parents. That was fun though it did leave my bank account rather empty.

The list was:
6x2x2: banjar red arowana tank with bichirs and clown loaches [still have this with only the arowana in it]
6x2x1.5: african cichlid setup
4x2x2: red texas and plecos
3x1.5x3.15: planted community tank
3x1.5x1.5: oscar tank
5x2x1.5: florida gar, rope fishes and others

opening the door to my terrace was just amazing every single time

Last edited by deathwalkr : 30th October 2015 at 11:57.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 12:12   #38
BHPian

Anyone aware of good/cheap place to buy decorations for aqua online/Delhi NCR ?
Old 30th October 2015, 12:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

ebay and amazon seem to have a good selection
Old 31st October 2015, 20:38   #40
BHPian

i envy each and every one of you. In last 7-8 years i have tried setup tank around 7-8 times. no attempts in last 3 years :-(

right from a pot with small filter to 1.5 x 1 x 1 ft tank (did not got beyond that as the fishes never lasted).

Mainly tried gold fishes with a shark or Glass eater (not sure of bread).
tried 1 pair (1.5 inch) gold fishes to 4 pair

tried 3-4 water filters

tried bulb / CFL / no lighting

tried keeping water idle for 5 days before putting fishes to prepare the tank 1 day in advance to prepare tank after getting fishes.

tried 3-4 different shops for fishes and their supplies

tried, anti chlorine both based on recommendation as per label (5ML per change) to recommendation of the shop keeper to put whole bottle once while starting the aquarium.

tried anti fungal, general aid and god knows what all tonics (yellow, green, blue etc)

tried gravel and nothing

tried all , changing 2 ltr of water every day to 20% every week to 100% every fortnight

but my fishes do not live much. maximum they lived for 3 months and minimum was one day (my glass eater died i replaced with other one, the other one died the very next day). thought some infection in aquarium moved all the fishes to a bucket with filter and fresh water with all the medicines and all remaining fishes died within a week.

I usually find gold fishes die around full moon and no moon days (may be this is not true) but some vastu guy told me that and i started keeping a close eye on lunar calendar and it was true my next fishes actually died +-2 days and that was my last attempt.

since last 3 years i did not tried to keep fishes, with this thread on Team BHP i want to give a try again. Any suggestions on good (and reasonable in terms of $$$) professional in south delhi area? who can help me with my setup and ensure balance of toxicity / nutrients / PH value etc. Any tips on maintaining fishes especially gold fishes.

I want to keep goldfish ( 1- 1.5inch) + glass eater. what would be the optimal number of fishes i should keep knowing the task size is 1.5 X 1 X 1 feet ?

Last edited by amit_arya : 31st October 2015 at 20:41.
Old 31st October 2015, 20:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_arya View Post
i envy each and every one of you. In last 7-8 years i have tried setup tank around 7-8 times. no attempts in last 3 years :-(
Oh man, dont go overboard with superstition stuff !

And in south delhi, I would recommend an aquarium right in the middle of Sarojini Nagar Market, First Floor. Dont remember the name(I think Fish Point), but ask anyone, its quite old, have a HUGE variety, pretty knowledgeable and good quality stuff.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st November 2015 at 09:32.
Old 31st October 2015, 21:28   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
This was my tank at approximately 18 month's maintenance.
Tetras, guppies and platies enjoyed in the tank along with red cherry shrimps.
That was a beautiful planted tank. Can you please give some more details.

Did u use CO2? Also, did u use any additional fert dozing (macro/micro), or was that just the result of Amazonia soil and effective lighting.
Old 31st October 2015, 21:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

This is a nice thread, re-kindles my interest in a hobby I gave up so long ago! At that time I was infatuated with Siamese fighters. Does anyone have them?
Old 31st October 2015, 22:35   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Its a nice big tank, there is a huge scope for keeping lot of exotic varieties in that. You can get some discus if ready for giving extra dedication or get some exotic cichlids. Or if you are interested only fish similar to Goldfish, you can include some Koi fish which can co-exist with gold fish without any issues.
Thanks Petrol_power, this thread is getting interesting. My new target is sand with lots of plants, but with Goldfish will be tough.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Aquarium-Plan...EAAOxycmBS0D-z

Quote:
Since this thread is "alive" - my question for all other aqua keepers, how do you clean the white colored water marks left over at the top of the glass surface ? The white colored marks on all 4 sides depending on the level of water which was present in the tank ?
Hello, I clean my tank with alum, by holding alum in running water for few sec. Alum skims all dirt. But I make sure no alum remains by rinsing the tank at least 3-4 times with fresh water. Alum is harmful to fishes.

For Light I have used one meter Divali Led light placed behind.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-20151031_165724.jpg  

Old 31st October 2015, 23:55   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Oh man, dont go overboard with superstition stuff !

And in south delhi, I would recommend an aquarium right in the middle of Sarojini Nagar Market, First Floor. Dont remember the name(I think Fish Point), but ask anyone, its quite old, have a HUGE variety, pretty knowledgeable and good quality stuff.
not being superstitious, but seeing over 50 deaths and unable to find what i was doing wrong, i just gave up.

i doubt the person you are referring too provides home service. i think i have delt with him before. others that i have delt with are :
- Shop opposite zamroodpur metro pillar (the one that had fallen down then metro was getting constructed)
- Shop at the railway crossing between jangpura and Lajpat nagar 1)
- Shop at lajpat nagar 1 (gurdwara wali road)
- Shop just opposite ISKON temple
- Shop on the road between ESSEX farms and qutub minar.
unfortunately none of them were able to give me any insight and none of them do any kind of home service (atleast they did not showed interest when i talked to them).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks