Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2015, 17:37   #76
BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Hi all, Could you please let me know the cichlids which you feel is the prettiest. I saw convict cichlid in this forum and liked it. I will get them. Other than that, in my collection, I like Frontossa and electric yellow cichlids.

Please share your favorite breeds.
Old 12th November 2015, 18:05   #77
BHPian

Just the thread, I was looking for.. I am sucked in to this hobby since last 3 years and have 3 tanks. 6 ft has silver Arowana and a clutch of parrot cichlids and a tiger Oscar. It is overcrowded but am trying to cope up with 2 canister filters and bimonthly 75% water change.

Have a 2.5ft tank housing a solitary flower horn which has grown to almost 25cm from 4cm in last 18 months.

Then finally a 5 ft tank in balcony housing couple of 7" oscars ,Pleco , 3 iridescent sharks and 2 large goldfish which came to me as a gift. So far oscars have left them alone. Do not recommend mixing goldfish with oscars. But since my goldfish are large and strangely these albino oscars are very docile, have taken the chance. Had to relocate tiger Oscar to 6ft tank since it was aggressive towards goldfish.

Will let the pictures do the talking.

Apologies for dirty flower horn tank. As sunlight falls directly on this tank there is lot of algae growth. Due to Diwali, did not get he time to clean it up.

My Fishkeeping hobby-imageuploadedbyteambhp1447330840.682231.jpgMy Fishkeeping hobby-imageuploadedbyteambhp1447330955.754652.jpgMy Fishkeeping hobby-imageuploadedbyteambhp1447331014.864542.jpgMy Fishkeeping hobby-imageuploadedbyteambhp1447331212.061000.jpg
Old 12th November 2015, 19:25   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Just the thread, I was looking for.. I am sucked in to this hobby since last 3 years and have 3 tanks. 6 ft has silver Arowana and a clutch of parrot cichlids and a tiger Oscar. It is overcrowded but am trying to cope up with 2 canister filters and bimonthly 75% water change.

Have a 2.5ft tank housing a solitary flower horn which has grown to almost 25cm from 4cm in last 18 months.

Then finally a 5 ft tank in balcony housing couple of 7" oscars ,Pleco , 3 iridescent sharks and 2 large goldfish which came to me as a gift. So far oscars have left them alone. Do not recommend mixing goldfish with oscars. But since my goldfish are large and strangely these albino oscars are very docile, have taken the chance. Had to relocate tiger Oscar to 6ft tank since it was aggressive towards goldfish.
Stunningly beautiful. maintaining three beautiful tanks and even more beautiful fish.

What is the name of the dotted fish seen in 1st picture. Also if you have better pictures of the last tank, pl do post.
Old 12th November 2015, 19:39   #79
BHPian

Thanks a lot.. It is known as spotted scat, which is a brackish water fish. Didn't know that while buying but doing well since last 18-20 months.

Will take some more pictures in sunlight from outside and post in couple of days.
Old 13th November 2015, 11:54   #80
Senior - BHPian

@Ross: Nice tank and you have the correct idea having two canister filters and water changes

What's the width of that tank? 1.5ft? How much did that cost you? That silver would have loved more width though seeing as it grows more than 2ft easily

That flowerhorn looks sad though being in that tank. Please get him a bigger tank.

More pics of the third tank please. Looks nice.

@Petrol_Power: A few tips,
1) What's the biggest tank you can afford to get/keep?
2) How dedicated can you be when it comes to water changes?
3) If it's a large enough tank can you invest in good external filters?

Remember keeping fishes is not always about picking and choosing what fishes you like and dumping them all in a tank and expecting them to live well.

You need to figure out what fishes you can keep in your largest tank first, then look at what you can buy taking into account their compatibility.

Convicts are small cichlids [compared to their usual american cousins] but can get very aggressive during breeding time. So avoid getting pairs unless you have big tank.

Cichlids like firemouths, salvinis, green terrors, oscars do well with convicts. heck convicts are most preferred dither cichlids for almost any american cichlid tank.

As for frontosa's and yellow labs [this is what i assume you meant by yellow cichlids], they are african cichlids and they are by far the most colourful of cichlids you can keep.

A well stocked african cichlid tank can rival a marine tank in terms of colour and splendor.

Spend some time reading about the fishes you like dont go by what the fish guy says.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th November 2015 at 21:08. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.
Old 13th November 2015, 15:01   #81
BHPian

Almost 25 years of this hobby and it just keeps getting better From various commuinity tanks to Marine and back to fresh water...

My current display tank set-up with 11 Symphysodons (Discus) and 2 clown loaches and one Featherfin Squeaker. L 4 x W 1.5 x H 3 - 450 litres; running one canister and one internal bio filter with 50% water change every week. These guys are almost as tasking as my old marine tank - BUT seeing they're worth it. Fed on Home-made Goat Heart Mix, Bio Gold Discus and Blood worms once a week.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-image1.jpg  

R32_GTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 17:42   #82
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 14th November 2015 at 12:05.
deathwalkr is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th November 2015, 13:08   #83
Senior - BHPian

Dear GTR,

That is a great looking tank. But clown loaches like to be in big groups. The more the merrier. I am sure you can keep at least 7 in your tank and they will be all the more happy and active.

Hope you can post more pictures of your tank.
Old 14th November 2015, 23:55   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
@Petrol_Power: A few tips,
1) What's the biggest tank you can afford to get/keep?
2) How dedicated can you be when it comes to water changes?
3) If it's a large enough tank can you invest in good external filters?

Remember keeping fishes is not always about picking and choosing what fishes you like and dumping them all in a tank and expecting them to live well.

You need to figure out what fishes you can keep in your largest tank first, then look at what you can buy taking into account their compatibility.

Convicts are small cichlids [compared to their usual american cousins] but can get very aggressive during breeding time. So avoid getting pairs unless you have big tank.

Cichlids like firemouths, salvinis, green terrors, oscars do well with convicts. heck convicts are most preferred dither cichlids for almost any american cichlid tank.

As for frontosa's and yellow labs [this is what i assume you meant by yellow cichlids], they are african cichlids and they are by far the most colourful of cichlids you can keep.

A well stocked african cichlid tank can rival a marine tank in terms of colour and splendor.

Spend some time reading about the fishes you like dont go by what the fish guy says.
Hi deathwalkr.

Thank you for the tips. I got the points.

As you told I will do some more research before adding or subtracting any more fish. I have mix and matched many breeds, but fortunately most of them are surviving, (though 2 fish died and it was because of rivalry from within the same breed and not attack by another breed )Green terror - That also looks really beautiful. I have 5 yellow labs and they are the most bright colored in my tank.
Old 15th November 2015, 12:16   #85
BHPian

Small make over for diwali.
Gave back the biggie fishes, the gold and the mollies. The baby mollies still in there.
Added, some more guppies, angels, tetras and zebras. Neon tetra, the jewels of fish hobby keeping are really looking awesome.

My Fishkeeping hobby-20151115_120725.jpgMy Fishkeeping hobby-20151115_120800.jpg

some accessories added, there were three silver arowanas available this time, 1300each. Now tempeted to add a 4feet tank.
Old 15th November 2015, 15:38   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Hi deathwalkr.

Thank you for the tips. I got the points.

As you told I will do some more research before adding or subtracting any more fish. I have mix and matched many breeds,
Green terrors are amazingly beautiful fishes. See the thing with American Cichlids is that they can get very big and are very territorial and aggressive. You need a big tank to really pull off an American cichlid community tank.

Yellow Labs like most Africans are colourful and beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
Small make over for diwali.
Gave back the biggie fishes, the gold and the mollies. The baby mollies still in there.
Added, some more guppies, angels, tetras and zebras. Neon tetra, the jewels of fish hobby keeping are really looking awesome.

some accessories added, there were three silver arowanas available this time, 1300each. Now tempeted to add a 4feet tank.
good to see. but dont you think the accessories are a bit garish taking attention away from the fishes?

If you are looking for silver arowanas please ensure you get a 6x2[3 would be amazing]x2 tank as the bare minimum. They can grow upwards of 2ft and the width and length of tank are very important.
Old 15th November 2015, 15:49   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Green terrors are amazingly beautiful fishes. See the thing with American Cichlids is that they can get very big and are very territorial and aggressive. You need a big tank to really pull off an American cichlid community tank.

Yellow Labs like most Africans are colourful and beautiful

good to see. but dont you think the accessories are a bit garish taking attention away from the fishes?

If you are looking for silver arowanas please ensure you get a 6x2[3 would be amazing]x2 tank as the bare minimum. They can grow upwards of 2ft and the width and length of tank are very important.
Yes. They are bright. But hey that's my taste.
I also like small fish than big one. Many small fish with lots of activity for small tanks.
Old 20th November 2015, 16:50   #88
Senior - BHPian

Finally got around to taking a couple of pics of my datnoid grow-out tank.

3 Indonesian Datnoids.

Tank size:

20(w)x20(d)x15(h) [inches]

Filtration is an elite stingray for mechanical filtration and bio filter is a boyu bf-108 loaded with seachem matrix.

These guys are crazy piscivores and struggling to get them to eat pellets.

Tried Hikari sinking carnivore pellets, hikari sinking cichlid pellets, meal worms, tetra bits. Now have to try blood worms.

Blue shade due to blue leds
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-20151107_140430-large.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-20151107_090719.jpg  

Old 21st November 2015, 12:09   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got around to taking a couple of pics of my datnoid grow-out tank.

3 Indonesian Datnoids.

Tank size:

20(w)x20(d)x15(h) [inches]

Filtration is an elite stingray for mechanical filtration and bio filter is a boyu bf-108 loaded with seachem matrix.

These guys are crazy piscivores and struggling to get them to eat pellets.

Tried Hikari sinking carnivore pellets, hikari sinking cichlid pellets, meal worms, tetra bits. Now have to try blood worms.

Blue shade due to blue leds
Datnoids. I initially thought its Frontossa, a more angular and sharper than the curvy Frontossa. Then only I saw the description.

What are the features/specialities of this Datnoids?

My Frontossa don't like the floating pellets, but will take tetra bits once it sinks down. Sinking pellets are available? Any links to order it online?
Old 21st November 2015, 12:21   #90
Senior - BHPian

@Petrol power: you can read more about them here:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...rofile.297687/

They are beautiful fishes, commonly called here as Tiger fishes because of their black stripes and yellow body colour. Can get very big and hence requires large tanks.

Usually peaceful giants but can get aggressive to each other while young.

As for sinking pellets, check amazon/ebay:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Hikari-Sinkin...oAAMXQWzNSkFPn

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Hikari-Cichli...gAAOSwMmBV6azR

remember to check pellet size.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks