Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2009, 21:00   #676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Where can I find "Affordable" Japanese food in Mumbai? Its for a friend who wants to take his lady out for dinner.
Amtak bhai,
sorry for the late response, but then the most awesome japanese the "affordable" side of the wallet is in Poona (Pune) @ the O Hotel, at past the entrance of Koregaon park, bang next to to the German bakery (O hotel is a famous hotel you can't miss it its a 3 star property adjoining the lane next to German Bakery).

I have not been to wasabi, though I have eaten authentic japanese food outside India.

Off topic, I don't generally eat non veg on saturdays during the daytime, and they made a mind blowing Veg Sushi, trust me, this one takes the cake. Never had anything better.

If you want the exact locations pm me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRShrikanth View Post
Can anyone give me a heads-up on this place in Powai called "Beatles".

This name was dropped during a convo. It will be an added advantage if anyone here, has been there already.?
SRS, better avoided, during a boring day I ate a burger and the food was BAD. I don't think even McD can mess with a chicken burger as bad as Beatles can, ambience, service etc i would rate them very high, if you wish to entertain a client without dinner its a nice place, food wise i don't rate them at all.

It's an okay place w/ref to food. The coffee was better at CCD. The point here is that most of the people managing this business are of a non hospitality management cadre, you can understand what I am trying to convey here without going into details.

Cheers
M M

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th July 2009 at 15:20. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 12th July 2009, 22:13   #677
Senior - BHPian

Anyone been to The Yellow Chilli in Powai ? (Above Mainland China). Have heard it's Sanjeev Kapoor's place and have read a couple of diametrically opposite reviews of the place.

Anyone?

ps - @ MM , dude maybe the staff/cook was also bored during the day and hence the burger was messed up - just kidding.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 12th July 2009 at 22:15.
Old 12th July 2009, 23:02   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
OOOOOoooohh!! Ive just gone weak in the knees. My all time favourite, home style Veg. Punju food joint. No frills, no nonsense.
x2

Absolutely killer food. Pity they don't have non-veg.
Old 13th July 2009, 00:14   #679
BHPian

@amtak:
For decently priced japanese, I would suggest global fusion in bandra, just off linking road. The sushi is good, wasabi is good and they have a kick-*** shitake mushroom dish. Prices are 650 pp over weekend, and cheaper on weekdays. It's all you can eat!

Other than wasabi, I also really like tetsuma, but it's definitely a dent in your wallet, though still cheaper than wasabi.
Old 13th July 2009, 01:25   #680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Anyone been to The Yellow Chilli in Powai ? (Above Mainland China). Have heard it's Sanjeev Kapoor's place and have read a couple of diametrically opposite reviews of the place.

Anyone?

ps - @ MM , dude maybe the staff/cook was also bored during the day and hence the burger was messed up - just kidding.

I've read good things about Yellow Chilli though I haven't tried it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
SRS, better avoided, during a boring day I ate a burger and the food was BAD. I don't think even McD can mess with a chicken burger as bad as Beatles can, ambience, service etc i would rate them very high, if you wish to entertain a client without dinner its a nice place, food wise i don't rate them at all.

It's an okay place w/ref to food. The coffee was better at CCD. The point here is that most of the people managing this business are of a non hospitality management cadre, you can understand what I am trying to convey here without going into details.

Cheers
M
You're talking about the Hotel right? It's the same building that houses Fitness One. The reviews for their other restaurants don't seem too good. The owners also own Saffron Spice & Kasbah in Hiranandani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

Zaffran, of recent has lost its taste. They have started boiling their meat and adding gravy to it and serving it when the order is placed which makes it convenient but not tasty.

Meat tastes best when its cooked on the gravy itself. You cant get the favour in the meat if the gravy is prepared separately and added to boiled meat later.
I don't know if I actually felt it or if it was just me thinking about this post but I didnt't really like the Butter Chicken at Zaffran when I went there today. Their kababs are still great though.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th July 2009 at 15:18. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:50   #681
Senior - BHPian

Had an awesome meal at the cart of Bansal Caterers in Vashi, Sector-17.

They have a Piaggio Ape that doubles over as their canteen - they stop outside the Domino's Pizza outlet in Sector 17.

Had a chole - bature (2 nos) for 10 bucks and a dal - rice plate for 12 bucks. Absolute home style khana, though some people might be skeptical about the hygiene.

Am attaching a picture of the rice plate.
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-img00065200906291444.jpg
Old 13th July 2009, 13:31   #682
BHPian

Five Spices - close to Oshiwara - Bus Depot (diagonally opposite to Le Marche')

Good Chinese food - sombre ambience too! Little cramped for space I say
Old 13th July 2009, 16:02   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Had an awesome meal at the cart of Bansal Caterers in Vashi, Sector-17.

They have a Piaggio Ape that doubles over as their canteen - they stop outside the Domino's Pizza outlet in Sector 17.

Had a chole - bature (2 nos) for 10 bucks and a dal - rice plate for 12 bucks. Absolute home style khana, though some people might be skeptical about the hygiene.
Gautam, Hemant swears by his food. Though the place where he stands isnt very hygenic, the food is yummy. Hemant gets a free lunch sometimes, as the owner is one of his customer. He has lot of Apes and two omnis too.
Old 13th July 2009, 16:26   #684
BHPian

PRITAM for Sunday Lunch.

Yesterday, I was at PRITAM - Dadar for lunch with other Team-Bhpians from Pune and amongst everything else that was yummy anyways, I must mention here that the "CHICKEN HARI MIRCH" was something really really exotic to die for.
Gogi will kill us if he knows that we were there and he was not.
BUT.....he was probably out of town or busy with some convention he was talking about earlier.

@ GOGI: Thank-you Gogi for this wonderful dish that you have on your menu.
You can be rest assured that on my next trip to PRITAM, it is only gonna be "CHIC... HARI MIRCH" for soup, starters, main course and dessert.
Old 14th July 2009, 15:14   #685
BHPian

Krystal's food is undoubtedly the best close to home cooked food. This time i happen to try their deserts (Kheer & Aamras) as well trust me they were equally good.
Old 14th July 2009, 16:00   #686
BHPian

Cafe Racecourse

This saturday went to this small place called cafe racecourse (after Mahalaxsmi station while going towards Haji Ali, just before Essar house/ICICI Bank on the left hand side).

Let me start with the deserts - caramel custard and baked dishes for Rs. 12- and they were yummy.

Starters - The fish fry (surmai, bombil) were very similar to the kind you would get at a gomantak place.

Mains - We had some butter chicken, a prawns masala. The prawns masala was very good, but the butter chicken only average (i did not have it, but friends who were eating it confirmed).

random- they serve your usual bunch of parsi colas (rashberry and masala).

All in all a very neat place, warm atmosphere and cheap - perfect for a saturday office lunch with friends, if you are in the area.
Old 14th July 2009, 16:05   #687
Senior - BHPian

yeah Ronnie, i was busy with the hoteliers convention. Im cross at you guys for not letting me know you were coming, anyways im glad you liked the food.
Old 20th July 2009, 23:21   #688
BHPian

Quote:

Anyone?

We went there ( couple of friends ) at 10.30 on a monday night - they shut at 11.30.

Yellow chilli = tried the chicken makhani - butter chicken known to all, V V Good and rumali roti. great stuff, tried the chicken dum biryani and black daal, the dum biryani was not impressive as in the staff could have brought it hotter/fresher.

The daal was good, orthodox and rare. The pyaaz and spice roti was very very nice.

I will rate the butter chicken at an all time high. Very tender and unorthodox. very tasteful.

The "lugjoorious" stuff is reasonably priced and variety is nice.

However if you want to eat, Gogi's place is still the tops, nothing to beat it. Pity he's not into the franchise model,

Cheers
M

Last edited by mmmjgm : 20th July 2009 at 23:26.
Old 25th July 2009, 12:35   #689
Senior - BHPian

Finally got a chance to eat at Yellow Chilli yesterday afternoon. The buffet was priced at 249 /- only.

Food was pretty ok - the mutton biryani was delicious though. I expected more but it was pretty much the standard fare.

Also be warned - all I could see were ladies all around. Ladies, ladies and more ladies - more of the Gujju crowd that loved watching Sanjeev Kapoor cook on TV. And the noise db was way over normal
Old 31st July 2009, 12:21   #690
BHPian

Finally after a very long wait, went for Lunch to Global Fusion Bandra. The place has a live unlimited buffet of Pan Asian, Chinese, Teppanyaki & Thai Cuisine.

Soups (Ready)
Crabmeat
Chicken & Prawn Talumein
Chicken Wanton
Sweet Corn Veg
Hot & Sour Veg

Sushi & Sashimi (Readymade; on ice)
Atleast 15 varieties of each Veg & non-Veg (Salmon, Tuna, etc.)

Dimsums & Sui Mai (Live)
3-4 types each

Fried Wontons (Live)
3 types each (Avoid; tasted like Indian Pakora's)

Stir Fried's (Live)
At least 10-12 types of each
(The tables have clips with table numbers, so you go to the counter & clip the dish your require; they will make it fresh & send it to your table)

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-stir-fried.jpg

Main Course (Readymade)
1 Crab Dish
1 Fish
1 Prawn
1 Lamb
2 Chicken
& an equal number in Veg.
3 Varieties of Rice
2 Noodles

Dessert (Readymade)
Cakes & Mousse
Ice Creams (Baskin Robbins)
Cookies

Drinks (Unlimited)
Iced Tea
Fresh Lime Soda's
Aerated Drinks

Juices, Alcohol charged extra.

All in all i found it to be value for money. We paid 470 + 10% Service Tax + 12.5% VAT, nearly came to Rs. 600/head. Kids it was 240++. Dinner is around 600++ and weekends is around 650++.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks