Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2009, 15:44   #526
Senior - BHPian

I agree. Indigo and Indigo deli make good desserts. Indigo used to serve the Tart Tatin (apple tart) which i thought, was one of the best ive had but it went downwards.

Ive had a trio of creme beulee once at Indigo but there was no crisp crust on top, which is what a true blue creme brulee should have. In fact ive had no creme brulee anywhere in Mumbai (not even at Taj and Oberoi) which have the crisp crust. You are supposed to crack the crust with the back of a spoon, (the same way one cracks the shell of a soft boiled egg before scooping the warm soft egg in it) and dig into the soft cold creme brulee. Mmmmmmmm!! A blend of crisp, burnt, caramel crust and soft moist delicious creamy heaven...(im gonna have to go on a diet. Even thinking too much of this is fattening)
Old 26th January 2009, 15:52   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I believe Khan Chacha was also pretty popular, this was about 3-4 years ago when I was there.
Khan Chacha doesn't make Kathi rolls Adheesh, he makes rolls in Rumali roti. Whereas, as Gogi had explained in the last post, Kathi rolls are made in much thicker Maida Rotis (more like Parantha's actually).
Old 26th January 2009, 22:05   #528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I agree. Indigo and Indigo deli make good desserts. Indigo used to serve the Tart Tatin (apple tart) which i thought, was one of the best ive had but it went downwards.

Ive had a trio of creme beulee once at Indigo but there was no crisp crust on top, which is what a true blue creme brulee should have. In fact ive had no creme brulee anywhere in Mumbai (not even at Taj and Oberoi) which have the crisp crust. You are supposed to crack the crust with the back of a spoon, (the same way one cracks the shell of a soft boiled egg before scooping the warm soft egg in it) and dig into the soft cold creme brulee. Mmmmmmmm!! A blend of crisp, burnt, caramel crust and soft moist delicious creamy heaven...(im gonna have to go on a diet. Even thinking too much of this is fattening)
This one had a crusty shell on it. Not too thick - a little thinner than an egg shell. To be honest I didn't enjoy the crust that much - didn't add much to the taste.
Old 26th January 2009, 22:07   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Khan Chacha doesn't make Kathi rolls Adheesh, he makes rolls in Rumali roti. Whereas, as Gogi had explained in the last post, Kathi rolls are made in much thicker Maida Rotis (more like Parantha's actually).

Ohok - I haven't ever been there so I can't comment.

For some reason other than me noone sees to think Nizams is amazing.
Old 27th January 2009, 10:24   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Try Salli per Eedu i fthey will make it for you. Cafe Ideal at Fort is alo good with Parsi food. Sadly after Yezdiar at Dadar Parsi Colony downed its shutters, i have yet to find a good Parsi joint in Mumbai. I have travelled as far as Daman and Udvada (Oliaji's and Paradise) for the really great Parsi fare (not to mention many a Navjyot too ) In my opnion the only, near authentic Parsi fare, is available in Pune at Dorabjees. Will be glad to know if any more are around.
Was at Daman for the long weekend, tried Oliaji's, sadly they did not have patra machchi, & their salli boti was decent. Did not like the dhanshak though, i still can't fathom the culmination of dal & meat together. the prawn fry was awesome though. But the place was not very hygenic, it was a put-off, plates were cracked (not chipped, cracked) & would not go there again after the overall experience. We went out late last night to "do tanki" (be taanki - pronounced by by bori mates) last night had seekh paratha. Awesome seekh kababs, they just melt into your mouth. Don't remember the route though as i was pretty buzzed by the time we reached there cheers:.
Old 28th January 2009, 16:11   #531
BHPian

Places where you can smoke and eat

I think such a list is necessary, i die if i have walk out to smoke.

Spice Tree
Bonobo (behind kFC)
Chinese place next to Candies in bandra reclaimation (I just can't recall the place's name)

On the other hand, if you go to Khan e Khaz, please check out his anti-smoking msgs. They are all over and very funny.
Old 28th January 2009, 20:03   #532
Senior - BHPian

i propose a meet in the next week.
the place can be any place in Mumbai under the sun, where the food is good and the hosts welcome us (basically i mean, if so many of us are allowed inside at a time :-P)

jaago bhookho jaago....
Old 28th January 2009, 21:58   #533
BHPian

between matunga station and snowpoint.
there s this shady bar Durga. paneer biryani absolutely yummy.
food tastes a bit different not sure if its a little malwani style or something,all the food got a typical flavour.
Old 28th January 2009, 22:33   #534
BHPian

What a thread! I havent been back in 2 years and I miss the food so much. Thank God you guys dont put up pictures, I would take the next flight in! For now I can only dream about the amazing food
Old 28th January 2009, 23:50   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
between matunga station and snowpoint.
there s this shady bar Durga. paneer biryani absolutely yummy.
food tastes a bit different not sure if its a little malwani style or something,all the food got a typical flavour.
oh man i was just trying to remember the name.
its got good food and most of matunga's bewdas come to this place once a day
the balti mutton at durga is one of the better mutton dishes ive had of late. and even the psuedo chinese is not bad. all in all, a good place for daaru and chakhna :-P
Old 29th January 2009, 01:06   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
oh man i was just trying to remember the name.
its got good food and most of matunga's bewdas come to this place once a day
the balti mutton at durga is one of the better mutton dishes ive had of late. and even the psuedo chinese is not bad. all in all, a good place for daaru and chakhna :-P
You get Balti (read as Birmingham Bangaladeshi/Punjabi Kadhai cuisine) at Durga ? Last time I had Balti cuisine was in Birmingham (the birthplace of Balti cuisine) wanting to savour some of the offbeat punjabi food.

Frank are you sure this is the authentic balti food ?? If true , wow.

Tomorrow is a trip there !
Old 29th January 2009, 01:08   #537
Senior - BHPian

nahi nahi nahi! i doubt its authentic,
just like the taste! thats it :0
Old 29th January 2009, 10:19   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
... Balti (read as Birmingham Bangaladeshi/Punjabi Kadhai cuisine) ...
Actually Balti is anything but! Balti cuisine is a close cousin of Kashmiri cuisine, and for a good reason: Baltistan is an area in PoK. The dishes of this cuisine are really aromatic with spices (incl. nutmeg, mace and saffron). One can get the readymade pounded spices as a small disc with a hole in the center from Kashimiri traders sometimes - looks like dried figs, only much larger. Hotter than Kashmiri cuisine, but nowhere as hot as we are used to in other parts of India.

Unfortunately, though the Balti cuisine was popularized by Kashmiri immigrants in London (Southall, circa mid-70's), the major propagation (genocide of cuisine, rather) was done starting early 90's by Bangaldeshi / Sri Lankan / Nepali restaurants. Before that the Balti stuff was something to die for. Balti 'meat' is like Laal Maas in Rajasthan, but not hot (Kashmiri chillies) and so aromatic that one could smell it in the fingertips for a couple of days. And no capsicum, please, thank you (THAT is kadhai xyz). The only peculiarity was most joints used to sell it by weight only: "Bauji, ik killo balti meat, addha killo alu gobhi te char naan dena ji"

Don't blame the (original) Punjabi restaurants - cooking was not the profession of choice for their cooks. Many ignoramuses in UK have even propagated the myth that Balti cuisine is named so since it is cooked in a baalti (bucket).
Old 29th January 2009, 11:11   #539
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Actually Balti is anything but! Balti cuisine is a close cousin of Kashmiri cuisine, and for a good reason: Baltistan is an area in PoK. The dishes of this cuisine are really aromatic with spices (incl. nutmeg, mace and saffron). One can get the readymade pounded spices as a small disc with a hole in the center from Kashimiri traders sometimes - looks like dried figs, only much larger. Hotter than Kashmiri cuisine, but nowhere as hot as we are used to in other parts of India.

Unfortunately, though the Balti cuisine was popularized by Kashmiri immigrants in London (Southall, circa mid-70's), the major propagation (genocide of cuisine, rather) was done starting early 90's by Bangaldeshi / Sri Lankan / Nepali restaurants. Before that the Balti stuff was something to die for. Balti 'meat' is like Laal Maas in Rajasthan, but not hot (Kashmiri chillies) and so aromatic that one could smell it in the fingertips for a couple of days. And no capsicum, please, thank you (THAT is kadhai xyz). The only peculiarity was most joints used to sell it by weight only: "Bauji, ik killo balti meat, addha killo alu gobhi te char naan dena ji"

Don't blame the (original) Punjabi restaurants - cooking was not the profession of choice for their cooks. Many ignoramuses in UK have even propagated the myth that Balti cuisine is named so since it is cooked in a baalti (bucket).

If you are sure of your information, maybe you should edit the Wikipedia entry with good references - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balti_(food)
Old 29th January 2009, 14:02   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
You get Balti (read as Birmingham Bangaladeshi/Punjabi Kadhai cuisine) at Durga ? Last time I had Balti cuisine was in Birmingham (the birthplace of Balti cuisine) wanting to savour some of the offbeat punjabi food.
Frank are you sure this is the authentic balti food ?? If true , wow.
Authentic, lol. Durga is a shady quarter-system bar. I feel scared even standing outside it during my visit to the local paanwallah. Even their booze might not be 100% authentic . If you're going, be prepared for a dimly-lit environment, and pardon the occassional drunk mistaking your balti for something he can throw up into.

Frank, tu pan chhe ne..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks