Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2009, 14:41   #436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Anantashram: Khotachi Wadi:
Bharat Excellensea, Fort:
Hit the nail right on the head Frank. Ananthashram is my all time favourite, only it goes out of food very early in the day and night. If your'e an early eater (lunch by 1.00 and dinner by 8.30) then you get the menu choice, after that its choose from whats available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Any idea where I can get another naan sandwich Gogi? Anything this time of the year?
The same place we went to. Thats the same place even Frank is recommending. You get the fare all the time only upto 10.30 i think on non festive days.

The pizza at Cellinis is great and very similar to Indigo Deli's. Maybe better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I found the pizza at Indigo Deli better than even Trattoria.

I used to consider Don Giovanni to be the best place for pizza but on my last visit I was pretty disappointing.
I second that but not everyone likes their Pizzas as thin as we do. I took one guy to Indigo Deli and he hated the Pizza. wanted the thick bready base and thouht the Pizza was more like a Khakra....
Don Giovani will serve excellent food on one day and completely screw it up on the other. absolutely inconsistent. Im not going there again, have had more bad days than good days there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why did I get the feeling that it's more expensive than the Bandra Olive?
Know what, i think its true. The menu is different, not the same except some signature dishes. I dont like the food here at all and the pizza the least.
Old 12th January 2009, 14:43   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks! Will try this weekend. My folks love the pure-veg kinda places.

Agreed. Why did I get the feeling that it's more expensive than the Bandra Olive?
Yes, They are paying ARC[Amateurs Riders Club] more than 8 lacs a month as rent, plus all other additional costs!! But the good part is that as a ARC member we get 20% off. Been there Thrice and the food and service is very erratic, though ambience is good.
Old 12th January 2009, 15:04   #438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

Olive mahalaxmi has the worst service possible, everytime I have been there its gotten worse.
To add: My Caesar Salad had a fly (or something similar) fluttering in it. I politely asked them to replace it as I mostly do not get completely pissed off, mistakes happen.
Only if I had an idea what the bill was going to be, it would have been a different scenario.

manson.
Old 12th January 2009, 16:46   #439
BHPian

Kutty's

Never knew its means little one in mallu, but this kutty has great food, fair enough ambience and its heart in the right place. Exposing an lesser known cuisine to a more wider market. Its located on link road just ahead of the ever busy signal near Mega Mall Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!
its opp an upcoming mall, whew looks like all malls coming up on the Link Road.
Just go there for authentic food nothing more nothing less.
cheers:
Old 13th January 2009, 00:49   #440
Senior - BHPian

more sound 'bites' from me :-p

1. A quaint roadside place at Dadar called RAJU next to Sachin Restaurant serves up the tastiest of seafood. their bombil(bombay duck), and their tisrya and their combdi and their prawns are to die for! their fried stuff is awesome, and the chicken and mutton sukka both are delectable. of note are their, VADAS, or WADEYS, which are like Puris but complement the sukka really well. their fish curry and aamti with rice finish off the meal!

2. A place called New Martins opposite Theobroma at Colaba serves up the most yummy goanese food. their pork sausages and pork vindaloo is quite awesome. bad ambience though!

3. An AWESOME place to go for Desserts is Noorani Milk House at Crawford Market that dishes out the best rabdi, masala milk, firni and lassi in town. their other sweets, i havent tried but i just cant get enough of the chilled masala milk in bottles.

4. The parsi fare served up by jimmy Boy has lost its charm, but i would say the Patra Ni macchi is decent. the rest has lost its trademark taste.

5. Cafe Mocambo at Fort is known for its Steaks and Danish Sausages and Cheesy Chilly French Fries. Also of note is the yorkshire pudding, and the baileys irish cream pastry.

6. Mings palace at colaba has great Momos/Dumplings and also serves up the BEST lemon chicken in town! I vouch for it, as theres not too many places where i havent tried the lemon chicken only to be disappointed. but this place works wonders with it!

7. Picaddily at Colaba: Trademark Shawarmas!

8. Cafe Noorani: Dabba Ghosht and Reshmi Tangdi Biryani

9. Lucky Restaurant at Bandra has lost its charm, but the Firnis are quite amazing. I remember us having competitions of finishing Firnis before they ran out of them :-).(no this isnt years ago, its recent)

there i run to the fridge again for leftovers!!!!! more from me soon ;-)

Last edited by frankmehta : 13th January 2009 at 00:51.
Old 13th January 2009, 04:02   #441
Senior - BHPian

Please excuse me if I offend anyone by mentioning this but - Mcdonalds has started serving breakfast in some outlets. They have pancakes and sausage mcgriddles. Sometimes I really crave for Mcdonald's breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
To add: My Caesar Salad had a fly (or something similar) fluttering in it. I politely asked them to replace it as I mostly do not get completely pissed off, mistakes happen.
Only if I had an idea what the bill was going to be, it would have been a different scenario.

manson.
That's horrible. Did they atleast take someting off the bill to make up for it?

Is the Bandra branch any better food wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
I heard lots about trattoria. Then when I finally went it was just average; as in, there was nothing wow! about the pizza, or may be it was just me..
Trattoria is certainly not that bad IMO. They have been around for quite sometime. I especially remember their Tiramisu - not too many places served Tiramisu at the time.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 13th January 2009 at 10:38.
Old 13th January 2009, 09:24   #442
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
did anyone mention Misal Pav at Bhatt's in Chembur and Panvel. Not to be missed
Bhatt (in Chembur) is an autowallas joint - they open very early in the morning, when it's still dark, so the auto guys who start their shift early, or end their shift in the morning go there for breakfast. We always used
to go there early in the morning after a night of partying. This was
15 years ago - and their misal used to be awesome.

However, I went there around 4 years ago & the food wasn't upto
scratch, so do not visit the place anymore.
Old 13th January 2009, 13:07   #443
Senior - BHPian

RainForest, CBD Belapur.

- Great Ambience. It's designed to look like a Jungle. You enter through a small wooden bridge with waterfalls around you. Seating is sofa's and chair. Artificial plants and heavy foliage around you, lanterns all round and dummy monkey's on trees complete the feel of sitting in a jungle. Staff wears military style uniforms. Looked like the LTTE cadres .

- A little confused about the food. The chicken tikka was fabulous. Tender and juicy and literally melted in the mouth. Chicken Kadhai was strictly ok. Meat was a little hard. Would like to give them the benefit of doubt this time.

- Service is on the slower side.

- Slightly expensive. Pint Calsberg beer, vodka with orange juice, Chicken Tikka , Chicken Kadhai , one tandoori roti and one Paratha. Total cost was Rs.855 excluding tips.

- Tables have a switch which turns on a red light. That's a indication for calling the waiters.

- LOUD music. Gave them a feedback that jungle sounds would go better with the ambience.

Would surely visit the place again.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:20   #444
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the headsup Frank. You are a man after my own heart and so many of us on the forum, especially on this thread.

Quote:
place at Dadar called RAJU next to Sachin ....VADAS, or WADEYS,
You bet. This guys speciality is Kombdi-Wade (literally Chicken and Wade) Sachin though, is not bad but inconsistent.

Quote:
A place called New Martins
Actually situated in the strand cinema lane parallel to the main road. The Sausage Chilli fry is to die for. I went there a long while ago. Does it still have that quaint sofa partitions? For good Goan food try City Kitchen on the same road, quite ahead of Excellensea.

Quote:
An AWESOME place to go for Desserts is Noorani Milk House at Crawford Market that dishes out the best rabdi, masala milk, firni and lassi in town. their other sweets, i havent tried but i just cant get enough of the chilled masala milk in bottles.
Thats would be the same place mentioned in out Ramzan meet. Its in the Minara Masjid lane. For some quaint reason, a lot of Noorani dairys are in existance with no common owner.

Quote:
The parsi fare served up by jimmy Boy has lost its charm, but i would say the Patra Ni macchi is decent. the rest has lost its trademark taste.
Try Salli per Eedu i fthey will make it for you. Cafe Ideal at Fort is alo good with Parsi food. Sadly after Yezdiar at Dadar Parsi Colony downed its shutters, i have yet to find a good Parsi joint in Mumbai. I have travelled as far as Daman and Udvada (Oliaji's and Paradise) for the really great Parsi fare (not to mention many a Navjyot too ) In my opnion the only, near authentic Parsi fare, is available in Pune at Dorabjees. Will be glad to know if any more are around.

Quote:
Cafe Mocambo at Fort is known for its Steaks and Danish Sausages and Cheesy Chilly French Fries. Also of note is the yorkshire pudding, and the baileys irish cream pastry.
Also try their Lasagna with Sausage and Bacon. Great Pork Chops but very disappointing Dhansak

Quote:
Mings palace at colaba has great Momos/Dumplings and also serves up the BEST lemon chicken in town! I vouch for it, as theres not too many places where i havent tried the lemon chicken only to be disappointed. but this place works wonders with it!
Is this the place on the first floor? Is it still on? was told its shut. Ate a long while ago and the food was mediocre. At that time didnt serve Pork, beef and no alcohol.

Quote:
Picaddily at Colaba: Trademark Shawarmas!
Tried the Chelo Kebab once. Not worth it. I like the way the place is made though. Very period look.

Quote:
Cafe Noorani: Dabba Ghosht and Reshmi Tangdi Biryani
Try Delhi Durbar (main branch only) for any of these goodies.

Quote:
Lucky Restaurant at Bandra has lost its charm, but the Firnis are quite amazing. I remember us having competitions of finishing Firnis before they ran out of them :-).(no this isnt years ago, its recent)
Must try the firni there though as you said their biryani is nothing to write home about.

Quote:
there i run to the fridge again for leftovers!!!!! more from me soon ;-)
MAy i join you D

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Bhatt (in Chembur).. This was
15 years ago - and their misal used to be awesome.
However, I went there around 4 years ago & the food wasn't upto
scratch, so do not visit the place anymore.
Its an on and off thing with bhats.

For Misal try the guy on the footpath outsisde the entrance to the Tardeo A/C market. Oe of the best ive eaten. I think its called Jai Jawan. The Misal and usal is to die for. Theres always a batch being made fresh in front of your eyes.

Another good joint is Jyoti at Nana Chowk

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
RainForest, CBD Belapur.

- Great Ambience. It's designed to look like a Jungle. You enter through a small wooden bridge with waterfalls around you. Seating is sofa's and chair. Artificial plants and heavy foliage around you, lanterns all round and dummy monkey's on trees complete the feel of sitting in a jungle. Staff wears military style uniforms. Looked like the LTTE cadres .

- Slightly expensive. Pint Calsberg beer, vodka with orange juice, Chicken Tikka , Chicken Kadhai , one tandoori roti and one Paratha. Total cost was Rs.855 excluding tips.

- Tables have a switch which turns on a red light. That's a indication for calling the waiters.

- LOUD music. Gave them a feedback that jungle sounds would go better with the ambience.
Thats news to me. It must be a take on the Rainforest Cafes from the US. Great idea though. Even the light to call the steward is similar.
The original one has sounds of the jungle and artificial mist.

Im surprised you found the place expensive at 855/- (per head i presume) which includes all what you have mentioned. I would say its cheap.

Keep em coming champ.

Has anyone been to Soam at Babulnath. Owned by the Dixits of Fountain Hotel in Mahableshwar, im told the place serves some seriously good Gujju food. Nouvelle cuisine too. Im gonna go for it one day.
Old 13th January 2009, 18:47   #445
Senior - BHPian

Raju Komdiwada is very famous for his Malvani fare. The Suka Chicken and vade is to die for. Also try the fish and prawn fry and as frank mentioned the Bombil. Gulp it down with some Sol Kadi.

@ Gogi: I have heard a lot about the stuffed omlette at Mocambos which is apparently filled with bacon, sauges etc and served with toast. I've heard its to die for.

I want to visit Cafe Mocambo for the steaks and the omlettes . Any one up for a meet of this sorts sometime? What say Gogi?
Old 13th January 2009, 18:48   #446
BHPian

Every one who has been to New Martins. Have you noticed their cutlery? The Air India logos on them. That said it is a charming little place.:-)
Old 13th January 2009, 19:05   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
I want to visit Cafe Mocambo for the steaks and the omlettes . Any one up for a meet of this sorts sometime? What say Gogi?
Its time we had a foodie meet. Guys come on lets hit the road for this, sign a disclaimer about healthy eating part though
Old 13th January 2009, 21:58   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thanks for the headsup Frank. You are a man after my own heart and so many of us on the forum, especially on this thread.

Cheers v16 paaji! I'm a foodie to the core, and even get dreams at night that i'm anchoring a Culinary show on Television!! lol!

You bet. This guys speciality is Kombdi-Wade (literally Chicken and Wade) Sachin though, is not bad but inconsistent.

Absolutely, lol! we go to Sachin to pick soft drinks, which we take and sit outside Raju. by the way, does Raju still have tables, or has it become a home delivery only joint?

Actually situated in the strand cinema lane parallel to the main road. The Sausage Chilli fry is to die for. I went there a long while ago. Does it still have that quaint sofa partitions? For good Goan food try City Kitchen on the same road, quite ahead of Excellensea.

I feel the urge to go there soon and have the sausage chilly fry and pork sorpotel and pork vindaloo! Hell, all the places in and around colaba and fort have their own quirks, and a signature taste!

Thats would be the same place mentioned in out Ramzan meet. Its in the Minara Masjid lane. For some quaint reason, a lot of Noorani dairys are in existance with no common owner.

But this one kicks all the other Nooranis' A** and churns them to lassi, and then converts them to Rabdi :-p

Try Salli per Eedu i fthey will make it for you. Cafe Ideal at Fort is alo good with Parsi food. Sadly after Yezdiar at Dadar Parsi Colony downed its shutters, i have yet to find a good Parsi joint in Mumbai. I have travelled as far as Daman and Udvada (Oliaji's and Paradise) for the really great Parsi fare (not to mention many a Navjyot too ) In my opnion the only, near authentic Parsi fare, is available in Pune at Dorabjees. Will be glad to know if any more are around.

i was disappointed with Jimmy this time around. And i had the Salli Boti and found the taste too artificial. No custard too, that had gotten over. In all a 2/5 experience. All things authentic are losing their beauty and Jimmy Boy needs to pull up their socks.

Also try their Lasagna with Sausage and Bacon. Great Pork Chops but very disappointing Dhansak

Their Lasagna, their bruschetta, their pizzas, shepherds pie, yorkshire pudding, chicken kiev, and many others are worth mentioning!!!!

Is this the place on the first floor? Is it still on? was told its shut. Ate a long while ago and the food was mediocre. At that time didnt serve Pork, beef and no alcohol.

No, paaji. i think you got this one wrong. its spread over 2 floors and is bang opposite that big Khadi place at Colaba. It serves pork, beef and alcohol, all the ingredients that make me a HAPPY MAN!!!!!

Tried the Chelo Kebab once. Not worth it. I like the way the place is made though. Very period look.

Chelo Kabab is a SPECIAL at the Copper Chimney Restaurant at Worli. Santoor at Colaba also serves up Chelo! Many a time, my girlfriend and I feel the urge for chelo and go to NSCI, which, incidentally has the Copper Chimney Catering in the Maharaja.

Try Delhi Durbar (main branch only) for any of these goodies.

Bheja Fry and Butter chicken at Delhi Durbar. Avoid the murg mussellum and the desserts!
For a good musselum, visit Santoor at Colaba!

Must try the firni there though as you said their biryani is nothing to write home about.
Firni is the only reason why I got o Lucky now. ALso becuse its the only place serving non veg main course food till late on weekdays(and doesnt run out of it). also of note is the SAHIBAAN restaurant somewhere around it..

MAy i join you D

Its an on and off thing with bhats.

For Misal try the guy on the footpath outsisde the entrance to the Tardeo A/C market. Oe of the best ive eaten. I think its called Jai Jawan. The Misal and usal is to die for. Theres always a batch being made fresh in front of your eyes.

Another good joint is Jyoti at Nana Chowk

VEG FOOOD?????? NNNNNNNNNAH

Thats news to me. It must be a take on the Rainforest Cafes from the US. Great idea though. Even the light to call the steward is similar.
The original one has sounds of the jungle and artificial mist.

Im surprised you found the place expensive at 855/- (per head i presume) which includes all what you have mentioned. I would say its cheap.

Keep em coming champ.

Has anyone been to Soam at Babulnath. Owned by the Dixits of Fountain Hotel in Mahableshwar, im told the place serves some seriously good Gujju food. Nouvelle cuisine too. Im gonna go for it one day.
Soam is 200 meters away from my house. Im game whenever you want!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Raju Komdiwada is very famous for his Malvani fare. The Suka Chicken and vade is to die for. Also try the fish and prawn fry and as frank mentioned the Bombil. Gulp it down with some Sol Kadi.

@ Gogi: I have heard a lot about the stuffed omlette at Mocambos which is apparently filled with bacon, sauges etc and served with toast. I've heard its to die for.

ABSOLUTELY. More of this later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Every one who has been to New Martins. Have you noticed their cutlery? The Air India logos on them. That said it is a charming little place.:-)
Ambience is really down in the dumps now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
Its time we had a foodie meet. Guys come on lets hit the road for this, sign a disclaimer about healthy eating part though

Arpan has hit the nail on the HEAD! guys,the normal TBHP meet concentrates more on booze than food. lets make it the other way around this time. lets go and sample some crazy s**t! eat our hearts out AND talk cars at the same time. That day, we can make alcohol take the backseat! Whatsay??????? V16 paaji, ARpan, come on!

PS: IF anyone is a fan of Raan (thigh of Goat) then please do not go elsewhere, other than Persian Darbar near byculla. they make it on demand, the way you want it!

i think its a great great place to have our meet. whatsay? RAAN is the food of the kings! and its supposed to be shared by a large no of ppl. we can have raan masala, raan biryani and hell, Raan for dessert! if more than 5 people agree, im opening a thread in the meet section.

I stress on this again: Lets concentrate on food in this meat!

Last edited by frankmehta : 13th January 2009 at 22:00.
Old 13th January 2009, 22:24   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I stress on this again: Lets concentrate on food in this meat!
the word is MEET, but hell, hunger pangs strike again!!!!
anyways, i might sue tbhp and all the bhpians.
first they make me empty my wallet on my cars, and then they help me pile on the pounds, cos everytime i write in this section, i go and get myself a snack! hehee !!
anyways, lets make this meet happen.im sure we will be single handedly responsible for a couple of joints shutting down sooner in the evening than they anticipated cheers:
Old 13th January 2009, 23:59   #450
Senior - BHPian

oh ya, i forgot this place that comes on the way to Matunga from Sion.

Its called Modern Lunch home.

Recommended there: Tandoori Chicken, Surmai Fry, RAwas Fry, Halwa Fry, Prawn Chilly, Kone, Catfish, Bombil, Butter chicken, Tandoori roti!!!!

highly recommended!!!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks