Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2008, 09:39   #331
BANNED

Hey,

How can you guys leave out the Cold Coffee at Cafe Paradise.

Viper
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:25   #332
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support due to poor readability. Please take the time out to type your posts properly. Also, avoid using excessive dots (........).

We advise you to read our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd April 2008 at 18:17.
Old 10th May 2008, 21:19   #333
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Then you have to eat it at Tewari Brothers at Opera House.
Had been there when I was home in Dec-Jan and frankly I was truly disappointed. I went to Tewari at Juhu and it couldn't rekindle the same magic as Haldiram's.

OT: I'm going through this thread right now and you folks have no idea how bad I feel for not being in Bombay right now or India for that matter :(
Old 14th May 2008, 14:56   #334
BHPian

Rice Boat

It was a Saturday night and wanted to go out for dinner. No reservations. A tough call. We decided to try out an eatery in Bandra (East) as we could always walk back home if no tables available. Had heard a lot about and read too about ‘Rice Boat’ a Kerala cuisine restaurant that had opened a couple of years back, so went there to try our luck.

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-rice-boat.jpg

Surprise, surprise! There was just another family dining in there and soon we had the restaurant to ourselves.

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-ambience.jpg

The restaurant is long and narrow, like a train compartment. The waiter is dressed in the traditional ‘mundu’ or ‘lungi’ as is popularly known, and kurta.

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-waiter.jpg

Strangely, for a Saturday night, they were not serving a la carte but a fixed menu called ‘Sadhya’ meaning a ‘Thali’. Fortunately though, it was available in the ‘Veg’ and ’Non-Veg’ categories. The initial reaction was to walk out but then realized that this would be for the best as a ‘Thali’ or ‘Sadhya’ as they called it, would be representative of all their wonderful cuisine. The vegetarian ‘Sadhya’ consisted of two veg gravy curries, sambhar, Rasam, all in vatis (small steel bowls).

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-veg-sadhya.jpg

Then there was Avial and another lal math bhaji. A couple of fried papadums, banana chips and a fried banana slice as accompaniments to the two excellent appams and of course steamed rice (choice of brown or white). For dessert, there was a vati of payasam (kheer). All this came on a banana leaf placed on a tray that was shaped similarly. As an aperitif, there was a glass of masala buttermilk. In the non-veg version the two veg curries were replaced by chicken and fish curries and the fried banana slice was replaced by tiny fried pieces of chicken. All dishes were overwhelmingly coconutty and seemingly heavy. It should be good for a homesick ‘mallu’.
At the end of the meal, the waiter will pour water from a jug for you to wash your hand in a small basin brought to your table.

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-hand-wash.jpg

Nice gesture of service.
The bill is presented with mint and toothpicks.
The ‘Veg Sadhya’ costs Rs200/- and the ‘Non-Veg Sadhya’ costs Rs.250/- and in limited quantity.
Good place to visit if you have nowhere else to go, for the novelty of trying out Kerala cuisine. No alcohol.

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-napkin.jpg
Old 14th May 2008, 15:23   #335
BHPian

my list of food joints in mumbai
pizza : Trattoria at president and corleone at intercontinental
South Indian : sharda bhavan at matunga central
punjabi food : great punjab V.T station
Gujarati Thali : Thaker's Bhojanalaya at kalbadevi.
chinese : Lings
sizzlers : yokos
irani restaurant : kayani at metro
Old 14th May 2008, 15:35   #336
Senior - BHPian

Good choice Magic Eye. Had eaten there when it first started a couple of times. Their food is good. I remember ordering from the A la Carte menu and they are probably the only standalone (there we go using car terms in food related activities too) restaurant serving Kari Meen a type of fish only found in the south, namely Kerala I presume. It was, they said, flown in daily. I didn't find it that hot. Their Pepper Mutton, Fish Curry and Kerala Mutton Biryani were outstanding.
I havn't been there in a while now but as you say, the food still looks pretty good. Should warrant another visit.
Old 14th May 2008, 16:32   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Should warrant another visit.
Count me in when you do go there Gogi. (I can then take revenge then and there is something goes wrong like last time )
Old 14th May 2008, 16:44   #338
BHPian

There this ice cream place on marine drive, bachelors i believe. The ice cream are ok (not good enough because they charge too much). But having ice cream and driving on marine drive late night is so good.

The place is open till late night, probably 2am, not sure but till 1am its pakka open.
Old 14th May 2008, 18:10   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhatau View Post
pizza : Trattoria at president and corleone at intercontinental
South Indian : sharda bhavan at matunga central
punjabi food : great punjab V.T station
Gujarati Thali : Thaker's Bhojanalaya at kalbadevi.
chinese : Lings
sizzlers : yokos
irani restaurant : kayani at metro
I would like to add my two bits which you may read in Bold.

pizza : Trattoria at president and corleone at intercontinental Frangipani and Grand Hyatt
South Indian : sharda bhavan at matunga central Cafe Madras and anywhere in Matunga actually
punjabi food : great punjab V.T stationWill not comment on this part
Gujarati Thali : Thaker's Bhojanalaya at kalbadevi. Bang on. Cant get better than this one
chinese : LingsGolden Dragon at the Taj
sizzlers : yokosHow can you forget Kobes
irani restaurant : kayani at metroCafe Excelsior, Ideal Cafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Count me in when you do go there Gogi. (I can then take revenge then and there is something goes wrong like last time )
Done but im still surprised that you got bad food. Anyways I owe you one.
Old 15th May 2008, 13:15   #340
Senior - BHPian

Took this from Ajmat's Changi airport pictures -

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-laksa.jpg

What is laksa ? Where in Mumbai will I get authentic laksa ? Looks yummy !!

Last edited by normally_crazy : 15th May 2008 at 13:17.
Old 15th May 2008, 13:55   #341
Senior - BHPian

Rice Boat: Had been there a couple of times for lunch, since its just next door to my office in bkc. Nothing really great about the food. Was dissappointed on both the occasions. Would rather prefer Culture Curry at Mahim anyday.
There are a few specific restaurants i personally hate to miss out on. They should be a 'must-try' on everyones list.
Here, in order:

Chinese:
1) Oriental Blossom, Marine Plaza.
2) Golden Dragon, Taj.
3) China Garden, Kemps corner.
4) China gate, Atria.
5) India Jones, Oberoi.

Italian:
1) Frangipani, Oberoi.
2) Saltwater Grille, Chowpatty.
3) Celini, Grand Hyatt.
4) Moshe's, Cuffe Parade.
5) Mangi Ferra, Juhu

Indian:
1) Kandahar, Oberoi.
2) Khyber, Kalaghoda.
3) Peshawari, ITC.
4) Masala Kraft, Taj.
5) Maroush, Pheonix Mills.

Thali:
1) Konkan Cafe, Taj President.
2) Panchvati, Marine Lines.
3) Thakkars, Chowpatty.
4) A. Rama Nayak, Matunga.
5) Mahabhoj, Matunga.

Thai:
1) India Jones, Oberoi.
2) Thai Pavillion, Taj.
3) Thai Ban, Bandra.
4) Busaba, Colaba.
5) Bamboo Shoot, Khar.

Alternatives:
1) Wasabi by Morimoto, Taj. (Japanese)
2) Goa Portuguese/Culture Curry, Mahim. (Seafood)
3) Tetsuma, Colaba. (Japanese)
4) India Jones, Oberoi. (Vietnamese)
5) Barbeque Nation, Khar. (BBQs)

Lounges/ Clubs:
1) Henry Tham, Colaba.
2) Geoffreys, Marine Plaza.
3) Tetsuma, Colaba.
4) Stax, Hyatt.
5) High Lounge, Sahara Star.
6) Shiro's, Lower Parel.
7) Opium Den, Oberoi.
8) Prive, Colaba.
9) Red Light, Kalaghoda.
10) Poison, Bandra.

Thanks.
X

Last edited by X-Machine : 15th May 2008 at 14:10.
Old 15th May 2008, 17:28   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
Chinese:
4) China gate, Atria.

Thali:
1) Konkan Cafe, Taj President.

Alternatives:
5) Barbeque Nation, Khar. (BBQs)
I agree absolutely.

Quote:
Thai:
2) Thai Pavillion, Taj.
No I had a not so good experience there.
Old 17th May 2008, 03:18   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Took this from Ajmat's Changi airport pictures -

Attachment 15380

What is laksa ? Where in Mumbai will I get authentic laksa ? Looks yummy !!

Laksa is a Malay noodle dish. It is available throughout Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand.
There are many types of Laksa such as Laksa Lemak which is a coconut based noodle, soupy dish with a curry and another which is more sambal based without curry like Serawak Laksa which has noodles and prawns amongst other things.
In Bombay I know of Busaba which serves Laksa but not too great. Nowhere else it features I think

Last edited by V-16 : 17th May 2008 at 03:20.
Old 25th May 2008, 02:34   #344
Senior - BHPian

I tried Mangi Ferra out for the first time today. Iv been hearing tonnes of good things about it with quite a few people saying its the best Italian restaurant in Mumbai. I always wanted to know if it was as good as my current favourite Italian restaurant in Mumbai - Don Giovanni.. The entrance looks really nice with a tree just before the door which adds a nice touch to the place.The place was done up well and even had a section with a nice couch for a couple of drinks or something but somehow the place lacked class. The menu didnt really have too many non vegetarian dishes to chose from and there were definatly more vegetarian dishes than non vegetarian - not a good sign. They had a woodfired oven and so I had to try their pizza. I could definatly taste the flavour added by this oven but somehow the pizza was just not upto the mark. I hope I am not being a snob about this but the pizza seemed like it had been Indianized and lacked the authenticity and taste of Don Giovanni. The menu didnt have too many options for toppings, with chicken, ham, peperoni and sea food being the only non vegetarian options. The quality of meat isnt anywhere close to Don Giovani even though the pizzas cost roughly the same amount. My friend ordered a pasta which again really dissapointed me - not authentic enough. The service is about OK and the waiters are polite and the service was quicker than Don Giovanni for sure. However the waiters dont know much about the food and you have to kind of figure out everything for yourself. The restaurant is as expensive as Don Giovanni which IMO is much better value with more authentic and better quality dishes. Overall Don Giovanni 1 Mangi Ferra 0. I always suspected that Mangi Ferra was another one of those overhyped places that has this buzz about it but the food isnt as good as you would expect it to be. I guess I was right.
Old 25th May 2008, 17:08   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
Italian:
1) Frangipani, Oberoi.
2) Saltwater Grille, Chowpatty.
3) Celini, Grand Hyatt.
4) Moshe's, Cuffe Parade.
5) Mangi Ferra, Juhu
If you haven't been to it already, check out Penne in Juhu. Superb Italian cuisine.

Quote:
Wasabi by Morimoto, Taj. (Japanese)
India Jones, Oberoi. (Vietnamese)
Barbeque Nation, Khar. (BBQs)
Part of my favorite list too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks