Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2007, 14:31   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Flamboyante'

Last night we went to Flamboyante' at the World Trade Centre.

It was well designed and some of the furniture pieces were truly lovely. They had an outdoor and indoor restaurant and it was overall, very nice looking.
However on a friday night at about 9.30, it was empty, save 3 or 4 tables.

The staff were polite. The Menu was interesting. Even though they present themselves as an Asian Grill, they had pizzas on the menu, towards the end.

We ordered a bottle of Red wine, 2 starters (Let me tell you the Chicken Sui Mai had EXACTLY 4 pieces in it, terrible portions)

The starters were decent to taste, but certainly not enough. We ordered some french fries, just for kicks. They were truly terrible.
We ordered for main course. One Pizza and one portion of Fortune rice with thai curry.
The Thai curry was pretty good. The fortune rice was brown for some reason, but tasted good. The pizza was not cooked completely, but it looked and smelt good.
We sent it back and I believe they may have burnt it, because later it came out, smaller. It had been cropped around the edges. Weird. When we ate it, the base was tasteless too.

It was horridly expensive. Pepsi and fresh lime at a 100 bucks plus tax. The food was all at 500 bucks a portion.

For 4 people the bill was almost 5K. At one point the waiters were preparing a bill and checking out prices from the menu.

I would not recommend this restaurant to you. Not for the prices and not for the food.
Old 15th September 2007, 15:50   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
, The best thing about the renovation is that they have retained the weighing machine at the entrance.
...and the Adam and Eve Posters too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
If you are an early bird they used to make a good akurdi but be there before 8am preferably 6:30-7am. my wife and i used to visit before we had kids.
Gallops still serves an Eggscelent breakfast till around 9.00-9.30. Remember running for an hour at the race course and then settling down for a hearty breakfast of Akuri, with Melba toasts and freshly squeezed juice and that was all only last year. Must start running again but will avoid the breakfast till i loose around 10 kgs.!!
Even Kobe at Hughes road will churn up an excellent Akuri but only during breakfast timings.
Old 15th September 2007, 20:28   #198
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Last night we went to Flamboyante' at the World Trade Centre.

I would not recommend this restaurant to you. Not for the prices and not for the food.
Hi Sam,

I fully agree with you. Would not recommend this place to anyone except maybe someone I hate . Being vegetarians we had ordered the dimsums( all on the menu) and the Khowsuey alongwith some chinese dish and some Pizzas. Fortunately the Pizza was decent the rest was sad, portions tiny food either tasteless or crap.

For a group of 10 guys who had a drink each and no desert we paid about 3k a couple. Bloody expensive

Avoid going there.
Viper
Old 15th September 2007, 20:54   #199
BHPian

had shermawas at pritam's they were damn nice.Are there any other places in bombay which serves shermawas.Also guys which are the good places to have sizzlers except yokos and kobe.
Old 15th September 2007, 22:36   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude View Post
had shermawas at pritam's they were damn nice.Are there any other places in bombay which serves shermawas.Also guys which are the good places to have sizzlers except yokos and kobe.
I havent had the Shawarma at Pritams but Biona in Bandra (just before Globus) has some pretty good Shawarma. Maroush which is part of Kareems has ok shawarma. Kareems has branches in Phoenix mills, Carter Road and Powai. There also used to be a place called Lebanese Point in Bandra which had great Shawarma. I believe they have a branch in Lokhandwala which is still open.

btw I remember discussing Shawarma in Mumbai here.
Old 15th September 2007, 23:10   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Re the shewarmas..I agree (obviously).

As for another place for sizzlers, nothing comes to mind. Many people have and had recommended Cafe Royal opp regal but that always turned out to be a damp suib. In fact if going there, try their steak in a bun. Like a piece of steak in a warmed crisp bun with a dash of mayo and mustard. Actually Paradise cafe which we were discussing just a few posts before used to have decent sizzlers but not anymore. So for sizzlers just go to Kobe......Yoko is a close second but Kobe by far is the better one.
Old 17th September 2007, 20:29   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Re the shewarmas..I agree (obviously).

As for another place for sizzlers, nothing comes to mind. Many people have and had recommended Cafe Royal opp regal but that always turned out to be a damp suib. In fact if going there, try their steak in a bun. Like a piece of steak in a warmed crisp bun with a dash of mayo and mustard. Actually Paradise cafe which we were discussing just a few posts before used to have decent sizzlers but not anymore. So for sizzlers just go to Kobe......Yoko is a close second but Kobe by far is the better one.
have to tell you one thing abt pritam's.I always go there with the intention of having something else but when i reach there only the word shermawa comes out from my mouth.It is that mouth watering.Also it isn't that the other food isn't good but u know the shermawas are irresistible.About kobe have had sizzlers there they are good haven't tried out yokos yet.
Are there any good places for mexican food.Also any good places out here to have burgers
Old 17th September 2007, 22:12   #203
Senior - BHPian

I have had the Galotui Kebabs at Pritam last time I was there & they were very good! Way better than most of the North Indian Kebabs I've had in Mumbai.
Old 18th September 2007, 11:39   #204
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are there any good places for mexican food.
I moan the death of Casa Mexicana at the Oberoi. Delicious food and lively ambience. The way they used to shove tequila shots down you was crazy! Was anyone else a regular during the good 'ol days?
Old 18th September 2007, 18:08   #205
BHPian

Havent tried the tequila shots @ Casa Mexicana - but got a scheme there which went on for long - Pay for first beer & rest of the beers are for free - Till you go to the restroom !
Old 18th September 2007, 18:15   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I have had the Galotui Kebabs at Pritam last time I was there & they were very good! Way better than most of the North Indian Kebabs I've had in Mumbai.
Oh really? This is the best thing I've heard on this thread.I normally have to travel 1500 kms to eat a good galouti kabab.

Pritam is much closer and it's my friends restaurant too. Shawerma and Galouti? Too good. I'm on my way there.
Old 18th September 2007, 18:19   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I moan the death of Casa Mexicana at the Oberoi. Delicious food and lively ambience. The way they used to shove tequila shots down you was crazy! Was anyone else a regular during the good 'ol days?
Oh yes I remember the place. Great food and fantastic decor. I remember the Tequila shot Senora armed with the shots in her hipster belt if thats what you mean
The food was really really good but the place really never took off. The second Mexican place that went Kaput was the one at the President, I even forget the name, thisnk it ws El Mexio or something like that. The restaurant ran till the Mariachi Band was playing there. Ten they turned it into a banquet room. i remember renting it with a bunch of friends for the world cup football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil View Post
Havent tried the tequila shots @ Casa Mexicana - but got a scheme there which went on for long - Pay for first beer & rest of the beers are for free - Till you go to the restroom !
Yaah they had the scheme but was never able to avail as was and am not a beer drinker. They only had it as a promotion I think for a short while.

What is it with Mexican Restaurants, maybe they ought to serve more tex mex food than the real Mcoy.

Last edited by V-16 : 18th September 2007 at 18:20.
Old 28th September 2007, 01:21   #208
Senior - BHPian

Finally after so many days of craving to eat Ramzan ka Khana, a couple of my friends and me darted towards the famous Bohari Mohalla to get the better of our taste buds.
It was around 11.45 pm and the place was abuzz. Our first stop was the Khichdawala at the corner of the street where Taj Ice-creams is situated. A small (appetizer sized) bowl of piping hot Khichda, topped generously with freshly squeezed lime, fried slivers of onion, freshly cut mint and a teaspoon of desi ghee (which we all decided to forgo) worked well. Then we wandered to the Saifee Cold drink house owned by two brothers who make the world's best sherbets. I had a glass of Rimzim Sherbet which he made with soda. Heaven. We had a dubious motive in opting for rimzim from a huge array of flavours as we wanted this drink to work as a digestive agent so we could hog more at our destination next;
Valibhai Payawala.

As we came close to our destination we were warmly greeted by the owners of this small and humble eatery. The Barra (12) Handi as it is called. We were ushered to our seats by the servers and the table wiped and re-wiped at my request. Our order
Two Special Rotis with sesame (which he gets for us from the rotiwala situated a few shops away) and a portion of Paya and Bhuna.
Paya for those who are not introduced to this delicacy are lamb trotters. Stewed slowly in minimal spices for hours on slow coal embers to result in a thick soup from the Payas own juices, incomparable in taste and rich in flavour. The Bhuna is a dish of boneless meat also cooked the same way.

This is the huge and incredibly yummy special roti.

Before the food came, he had plonked the hot, thin and crispy rotis which we finished before the main course arrived. So what did we do, we ordered a second round of rotis. As you can see they are huge about the size of a 12'' Pizza but incredibly light and crisp.

[b]

The Bhuna and the Paya
The one on the right i.e. close to the Sprite bottle is the Paya and the other one is Bhuna. Though they look the same they are not. The come topped with Tari (which we politely chose to avoid) and Marrow or Nalli and garnished with fresh coriander.

us]

All this was washed down with a few bottles of aerated water. After we finished the above delicious meal we headed to the Minara Masjid lane for some Rabri and Fruitella at Noorani Dairy and Milk Centre.
Avoiding touts from various stalls selling Ferrari Red chicken and mutton dishes. If one gets the colour from foods sold here on their clothes, i guarantee you they will be permanent marks and no Lalitaji or other Nirma loyalists will be able to get them out.
Then we boarded the car for another sweet stop. The famous Jalebiwala opp the JJ Hospital. A piece of the hot and syrupy crisp Jalebis washed down with great Lassi with a big dollop of Malai on it. Works like nirvana on the taste buds. (What all this does to your fat deposits and cholesterol levels is another matter)
Now We are immensely satisfied and overstuffed. Like over fed pigs. Suddenly the true meaning of the word "Hog" dawns on me. The aroma of fresh food being cooked is starting to get nauseating and I felt like slapping each and every person digging into the food which was being dished out to them. How one feels after one is too too too full.
We decided to end our little trip to food land there and then promising never to return on account of over eating..... Burrrp!!.
P.S.:- The next day I have a craving again....
Gawd and it goes on and on!!

Recommended only for hard core non vegetarians.

Satisfaction Count:100%
Calorie Count: 10,000 calories and counting

I'm game Monday onwards for another visit. Anyone wants to accompany Gogi Guide?

Last edited by V-16 : 28th September 2007 at 01:26. Reason: add
Old 28th September 2007, 04:05   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

I'm game Monday onwards for another visit. Anyone wants to accompany Gogi Guide?
That looks delicious !!!

I HAVE to try this place when Im back home. Is it open throughout the year? Or only during Ramzan?
Old 28th September 2007, 05:10   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Oh really? This is the best thing I've heard on this thread.I normally have to travel 1500 kms to eat a good galouti kabab.

Pritam is much closer and it's my friends restaurant too. Shawerma and Galouti? Too good. I'm on my way there.
Yes Sam, they are good and inside news is that the guy who makes them has been lured from Delhi by the owner!

And you know the best part, if you ask nicely at Pritam you can even get a discount on account of being a Team-BHPian!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks