Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2007, 13:35   #76
Senior - BHPian

Mani's has been there since ages. My mom used to eat out there in her college days. Excellent medu vadas and dosas and they keep pouring hot sambar into your plate. The restaurant is small. You can either sit in the car or on stools outside the eatery
Old 25th May 2007, 14:25   #77
Senior - BHPian

Mani's and madras cafe are very very good for south indian. I've been eating there for 35 years now!! before that it would be anand bhavan and sharda bhavan.
Pritam is very good Moghlai. again been eating there since it started, atleast 30 years now, maybe more.
when their Dhaba started, we were booked there for every saturday night, dec,jan,feb. Pakodi kadhi, murg makhani and laccha paratha was fixed on our order the rest kept changing.
Unfortunately since I got to meet the Owner, never been able to go there!!
Lucky's biryani is finished. delhi darbar still maintains one Good standard of biryani.
Trattoria and Frangipani are by far the best pizzas.
ITC grand central sunday buffet brunch is fantastic 900 all inclusive with as much sparkling wine u can have!!
theres no end to mentioning good food places.
Food is Symphony, to my taste buds!!
Old 25th May 2007, 15:27   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
There is also a place called Mani's (I think)
Is this place related to Mani Dosa Vaala in Bandra?
Old 25th May 2007, 15:33   #79
Senior - BHPian

Sheetal Samudra at Juhu was very good for its seafood. Unfortunately its been demolished might come up again. Prices there were in the Mahesh lunch home range
Old 25th May 2007, 15:36   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Is this place related to Mani Dosa Vaala in Bandra?
No relation. that way theres a babulnath dosa centre, which is very good.
Old 25th May 2007, 15:41   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Sheetal Samudra at Juhu was very good for its seafood. Unfortunately its been demolished might come up again. Prices there were in the Mahesh lunch home range
Before the sheetal samudra at juhu was the sheetal at khar, sv road. which was the first in exotic sea foods, in mumbai, in the early '80s. they would show u the live crabs/lobsters, jumbo prawns to choose from, mahesh and trishna started this much later in late '80s
Even our very own Pritam da dhaba had a frozen counter with sea food stocked, choose, weigh, and get cooked the way u like it!!
Old 25th May 2007, 15:54   #82
Senior - BHPian

scooby I think the Sheetal at khar is very much there. A few of us had visited the place on a saturday when EVO was in Mumbai. Great food
Old 25th May 2007, 16:02   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
scooby I think the Sheetal at khar is very much there. A few of us had visited the place on a saturday when EVO was in Mumbai. Great food
Yes Dippy thats the mother restaurant of this group of sheetals, i went there last 5 years now though. One portion of jumbo prawn in pepper/garlic sauce with a lil rice on the side was enough to fill my stomach
theres no way one person can finish a full portion of their giant crab/lobster, except in one of those "no moon or full moon days" i forget.
is it the full moon or the no moon when the meat is less in these shell fish??
Old 25th May 2007, 16:03   #84
Senior - BHPian

Some of my favorite eateries in Mumbai:

1. Delhi Darbar: Top notch Mughlai, not expensive. They even deliver to my part of town. I even like some of their improvised Chinese dishes, one should try out the Arabi Chicken Chilly, very different and unique dish, not Chinese or even close to being Oriental, but fun nonetheless.

2. Smokin Joe's: I ought to figure in the hall of fame of some F&B insititutions. Fosters is one. This is the second. Take-out, delivery or dine-in, SJ's is an all time favorite pizza joint. I wish they'd have some sort of quality control, systems to maintain uniformity though. Carmichael Road branch is the only one that has been consistent with the pizza quality. Branches like Sion are completely avoidable. They once actually sent me a pizza with cheddar cheese on it, and when I called them about it, they had the cheek to tell me that they substitute it in place of mozarella when they run out. Huh? Maybe i should substitute my money next time I'm out of it.

3. Alfredo's: At King's International Hotel, Juhu. Great place to grab some pitchers and junk food.

4. Vista at Taj Land's End : Spacious joint. Great round the clock pizzas.

5. Squeeze: Yes, its a discotheque but the pizzas are fabulous.

6. Mani's Lunch Home, Matunga: South Indian food, unlimited chutney and sambar. Seating is inadequate and uncomfortable.

7. Fu -Yong: Most might not even be aware of this place, but its a small eatery at King Circle. Founded and originally owned by a Chinese friend of mine, who died an untimely death, and now his manager is running the show. Good Chinese food but seats only a dozen at a time.

I dont understand the hype behind places like Ayubs and Bade Miya. The food is trash, conditions are unhygienic and grossly overpriced for the service provided. I would be caught eating there only if its too late and thats like the only option available. Otherwise whats the point? Jai Jawan at Bandra is better value for money, the prawns and fish is awesome and the chutney is too good. Downside is that everything is fried.

Just yesterday I went to a restaurant called Spaghetti Kitchen or something at Phoenix Mills where Fire N Ice used to be. Good pizzas, a bit like the ones they serve at the Italian restaurant at Grand Hyatt, but they dont have an Olive Oil bottle tableside.
Old 25th May 2007, 16:05   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are two Sheetal's at Khar, with no connection to one another whatsoever. The one with the zoo happening outside is just "Sheetal", while the other one is the slightly plush "Sheetal Bukhara" opposite Khar telephone exchange. Both have good food.
Old 25th May 2007, 16:13   #86
Senior - BHPian

B&T

What I talked about is the Bukhara at khar. Has anyone tried Mama Mia Pizzas at Opera house. Well priced and good taste though its been a while since I've visited them.

I also like Khane khaas opposite mini punjab at Bandra.

Speaking of Matunga has anyone tried Classic fast food opp Don Bosco. Famous for pav bhaji and once you try their masala pav you cant have it anywhere else. Since i was in Boscos I used to feast there regularly on the masala pavs
Old 25th May 2007, 16:13   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote: Bass and trouble"I dont understand the hype behind places like Ayubs and Bade Miya. The food is trash, conditions are unhygienic and grossly overpriced for the service provided. I would be caught eating there only if its too late and thats like the only option available. Otherwise whats the point? Jai Jawan at Bandra is better value for money, the prawns and fish is awesome and the chutney is too good. Downside is that everything is fried.

Just yesterday I went to a restaurant called Spaghetti Kitchen or something at Phoenix Mills where Fire N Ice used to be. Good pizzas, a bit like the ones they serve at the Italian restaurant at Grand Hyatt, but they dont have an Olive Oil bottle tableside.[/quote]"

I totally agree, Bade miyan is bakwas, Ayub a lil better, Jai jawan even better!!
Spaghetti kitchen is part of the copper chimney/cream centre joint venture, and food is by far standard.

How have people forgotten the cream centre chola bhatura??
Olympia Keema/pao?

Last edited by scooby05 : 25th May 2007 at 16:14.
Old 25th May 2007, 16:29   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
B&T

What I talked about is the Bukhara at khar. Has anyone tried Mama Mia Pizzas at Opera house. Well priced and good taste though its been a while since I've visited them.
Thought as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Speaking of Matunga has anyone tried Classic fast food opp Don Bosco. Famous for pav bhaji and once you try their masala pav you cant have it anywhere else. Since i was in Boscos I used to feast there regularly on the masala pavs
I was in Bosco's too. Actually when I met you at the meet I thought I'd seen you before. Couldn't place you though. must be in school. The only other Boscoite I know on this forum is GTO. Which batch were you? I go a long way back, because back then when I used to have Pav Bhaji and masala pav at Classic it used to be called Dimple!
Old 25th May 2007, 16:31   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
B&T
Has anyone tried Mama Mia Pizzas at Opera house. Well priced and good taste though its been a while since I've visited them.
I have. They do home delivery too. We order very often from Mama Mia when I visit my cousin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Olympia Keema/pao?
Tried it when Gogi took us there after the vintage car rally. The food was very nice and reasonable.
Old 25th May 2007, 16:33   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Olympia Keema/pao?
Wheres Olympia...............?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks