Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2007, 14:19   #181
Senior - BHPian

Gogi - Have you had the Deez biryani in Delhi?
Old 8th September 2007, 14:28   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Gogi - Have you had the Deez biryani in Delhi?
Nope. No one took me there. Something tells me i will be visiting it with you soon when in Delhi
Old 8th September 2007, 14:29   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Nope. No one took me there. Something tells me i will be visiting it with you soon when in Delhi
Ok! I have a feeling you're gonna like the food!
Old 9th September 2007, 19:05   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Serious recommendation for Indian food lovers. Took my folks to Gallops at the Mahalaxmi race course....excellent food, well-priced drinks and a superb ambience. The service was amongst the best I have experienced in Bombay.

When its not raining, you can sit out in the open and enjoy the breeze.
hey gto where exactly is gallops and is mahalaxmi race course anywhere near the mahalaxmi station
Old 9th September 2007, 19:35   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude View Post
hey gto where exactly is gallops and is mahalaxmi race course anywhere near the mahalaxmi station
They had opened gallops in juhu also but that shutdown....Gallops is at the race course..the closest station to gallops is mahalaxmi station
Old 9th September 2007, 19:47   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
on the fiesta bit!!
Its the Jaffer Bhai's Delhi Darbar which has the yellow hoarding. Ive never tried persian durbar's biryani but their Raan Masala is nothing but boiled meat. Bro its raan biryani not Rang biryani (unless you mean colourful biryani had at holi ) I too prefer the caterer biryani.
Passable to Good biryanis available in Bombay are just two
1) Zaffrani biryani at Zaffran, Crawford market
2) Mutton Biryani at Cafe Exelsior opp the Exelsior theatre VT
The biryani at Brittania you eat when you're hungry and dont have any other place to go. Its not bad but you cant call their biryanis actual biryanis. Their berry pullav is something im not even a remote fan of . You go to brittania for the best Caramel custard. The rest of the food is good tough.
Also try Celebrations which IMO has the best Chicken Biryani although Iv not tried the biryani at Zaffran or Cafe Exelsior to really comment.

How come you dont like the Chicken Berry Pulao at Brittania? I LOVE IT !!!! They do have the best Caramel Custard, and even though I dont really like Custard, I make an exception for Brittania.
Old 9th September 2007, 19:52   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude View Post
From Mahalaxmi station you take a cab towards haji ali, get into the race course compound and youll find another gate and a path that will lead you towards the race course, Take a right at the end of the path and you will find it there. The Paanwallah outside Gallops makes some really nice Paan which IMO is better than Muchchads.
Old 9th September 2007, 20:28   #188
Senior - BHPian

Basically Gallops is right next to the race track where horses run during racing season
@ Khanak- The berry pullav is not to my taste bro. Its a little over onioned and sour for my taste. But ill give it another shot. Maybe ill like it this time. The last i ate it was a couple of years ago.
Old 9th September 2007, 20:41   #189
Senior - BHPian

Let me share with youll what happened to me when I last visited Brittania.

Brittania is run by these two old Parsi gentlemen and their sons. The Chicken Berry Pulao is one of their wife's recipes.One gentleman still takes orders and the other manages the staff. I really appreciate their spirit and their love for their restaurant. Start talking to them about Brittania and theyl come back with news clippings from magazines and talk about how popular their restaurant is. However Brittania really needs a makeover. The last time I went there it was raining and the roof was leaking with the rainwater falling in my plate, I was quite put off by this and dont expect this to happen even in a place like Brittania. I told the owner's son about it and he kept asking me if it were still leaking every 5 minutes in a very disbelieving way. I didnt expect a complimentary meal or anything there but I atleast expected an apology. The other day my mother asked him why they werent open at night to which he replied " Why maam, My Wife will Divorce Me!!!!". This should give you an idea about what to expect from Brittania. The food is great but there are still a lot of things that need to be improved though I guess its these things which really give Brittania it's character.
Old 9th September 2007, 20:45   #190
Senior - BHPian

btw anyone here a fan of Paradise in Colaba?

My mum used to eat there in her school days and Iv grown up on their Chicken Steak and Cold Chicken Salad. Theyve renovated the place around 2 years ago and its now airconditioned.

Cafe Mondegar
is another really nice place in Colaba. Awesome ambience, best place to chill with friends. Their food isnt bad either - I usually have the Chicken Cordon Bleu which is pretty good.
Old 10th September 2007, 01:53   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
btw anyone here a fan of Paradise in Colaba?

My mum used to eat there in her school days and Iv grown up on their Chicken Steak and Cold Chicken Salad. Theyve renovated the place around 2 years ago and its now airconditioned.

Cafe Mondegar
is another really nice place in Colaba. Awesome ambience, best place to chill with friends. Their food isnt bad either - I usually have the Chicken Cordon Bleu which is pretty good.
Hey I was there just two days ago. Went with my friend who was an ex colaba inhabitant and we went there to revive memories.
You must have the Scotch Broth to begin and then move on to their Chicken Roll. The best home made Mayonnaise in the world (and i hate mayo otherwise) This place was known for its sizzlers and Parsi bhonu. Had a heart meal and a good chat with Jimmy Uncle, the owner. Serves good dhansak on certain days too. The same old waiters and the same old menu. I LOVE IT. Then walked to Kailash parbat opposite and we wolfed down Gulab jamun and rabri.
Mondegar is a regular joint with beer drinkers. We usually go in a group and take the room inside as we are a noisy lot.
Old 10th September 2007, 02:35   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey I was there just two days ago. Went with my friend who was an ex colaba inhabitant and we went there to revive memories.
You must have the Scotch Broth to begin and then move on to their Chicken Roll. The best home made Mayonnaise in the world (and i hate mayo otherwise) This place was known for its sizzlers and Parsi bhonu. Had a heart meal and a good chat with Jimmy Uncle, the owner. Serves good dhansak on certain days too. The same old waiters and the same old menu. I LOVE IT. Then walked to Kailash parbat opposite and we wolfed down Gulab jamun and rabri.
Mondegar is a regular joint with beer drinkers. We usually go in a group and take the room inside as we are a noisy lot.
Some of the waiters were working there when my mother used to eat there during her school days, The best thing about the renovation is that they have retained the weighing machine at the entrance.
Old 10th September 2007, 09:36   #193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Basically Gallops is right next to the race track where horses run during racing season
If you are an early bird they used to make a good akurdi but be there before 8am preferably 6:30-7am. my wife and i used to visit before we had kids.
Old 10th September 2007, 10:30   #194
BHPian

There is this new restaurant called The Village has come up in Kandivali as well as Thane Eternity mall. They have a entire village setup. Charges around 250 per person for a buffet. Once you enter you have lots of other entertainment things happening around like, puppet show, Rajasthani folk dance etc.

Planning to go there this weekend. Will post the review after that.
Old 10th September 2007, 10:41   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1182 View Post
There is this new restaurant called The Village has come up in Kandivali as well as Thane Eternity mall. They have a entire village setup. Charges around 250 per person for a buffet. Once you enter you have lots of other entertainment things happening around like, puppet show, Rajasthani folk dance etc.

Planning to go there this weekend. Will post the review after that.
Well village is too good restaurant it has opened in many places but the is too cramppy as compare to when they opened it almost 1.5 year before and it has many such resturant in kandivali
It is nice experince to go once
we had kept few parties over there too
of 35 to 50 people

Most Viewed