Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2007, 17:48   #166
Senior - BHPian

Gallops has been an old favourite of mine. The best is its open all day. Th econti food is one of the best I've ever had and their service is impeccable. The prices are good as the food portioning is quite big. A must try. If one visits in the late afternoon, the view of the racecourse is spellbinding.
BTW paid another visit to Vong Wong (or is it Wong Vong).... the place has gone from bad to worse. The food quality has dwindled and the service has become more pathetic. More over its over the top pricing does not help. Im definitely not going there again. Three visits and its not improved... thats it!!
Also re visited Wasabi, this time with vegetarian friends and had amazing veggie food. I'm going there again and ordering some of the veggie stuff whenever I go again.
Old 5th September 2007, 20:09   #167
BHPian

How about the Kheema at the joint next to the Haj Commitee Building, near Crawford Market? An ex-mayor of Mumbai voted it the best Kheema in Mumbai.
Old 6th September 2007, 17:02   #168
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Also re visited Wasabi, this time with vegetarian friends and had amazing veggie food. I'm going there again and ordering some of the veggie stuff whenever I go again.
Wasabi rocks, man!! At the risk of getting brickbats from my friends....I have to admit that the vegetarian sushi is delicious. Superb Japanese food.
Old 7th September 2007, 11:27   #169
BHPian

STRICTLY NON VEG
Vikram: As per your request il jot the places down here...

townside: J.J. Hospital Signal, Good jalebis, bundis, Maal Puvas, halwa Parathas, Chicken roll, Leg piece , breast piece.... Sory guys... i can just visualize everything in front of me.. so writing the names down .

You walk a little furthur... shalimar good place open till late best thing Raang Biryani, only if your a very good eater , have this only with atleast good 5-7 heavy eaters, along with falooda Yummmm. Next door is Noor Mohammedi, where u get the spicest Nalli Nihari , the owner himself is a big fan of sanjay dutt and has dishes in his name too.

Then again you walk a little furthur to get in the Lane of Suleman Usman Mithaiwala's Lane and Foood Foood Food. Best of sweeets at Suleman usman, then as u enter the lane, lota non-veg stuffs. Just for INfo.. please check the rates before ordering.. or else... after seeing the bill your bloodpressure will drop, you will feel a little dizzy hahaha, (exagerating).

Then u walk again towards Crawfort Market, behind the Cracker shope i.e. Essa or Issa Bhai , you get to the 1st or the 2nd lane on the left and you will get gud maalpuva with Malai Slurrrrppppp, and some spice food like chicken roll, mutton roll , kheema and stuff...

Please correct me if i am wrong... by the way these places are open till 5 in the morning... only during ramazaan, soooo Hoggggggggg till weeee hours.... Lols
Old 7th September 2007, 14:54   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wasabi rocks, man!! At the risk of getting brickbats from my friends....I have to admit that the vegetarian sushi is delicious. Superb Japanese food.
I second that and as i said when im going next im ordering some of the veggie stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
STRICTLY NON VEG
Vikram: As per your request il jot the places down here...

townside: J.J. Hospital Signal, Good jalebis, bundis, Maal Puvas, halwa Parathas, Chicken roll, Leg piece , breast piece.... Sory guys... i can just visualize everything in front of me.. so writing the names down .

You walk a little furthur... shalimar good place open till late best thing Raang Biryani, only if your a very good eater , have this only with atleast good 5-7 heavy eaters, along with falooda Yummmm. Next door is Noor Mohammedi, where u get the spicest Nalli Nihari , the owner himself is a big fan of sanjay dutt and has dishes in his name too.

Then again you walk a little furthur to get in the Lane of Suleman Usman Mithaiwala's Lane and Foood Foood Food. Best of sweeets at Suleman usman, then as u enter the lane, lota non-veg stuffs. Just for INfo.. please check the rates before ordering.. or else... after seeing the bill your bloodpressure will drop, you will feel a little dizzy hahaha, (exagerating).

Then u walk again towards Crawfort Market, behind the Cracker shope i.e. Essa or Issa Bhai , you get to the 1st or the 2nd lane on the left and you will get gud maalpuva with Malai Slurrrrppppp, and some spice food like chicken roll, mutton roll , kheema and stuff...

Please correct me if i am wrong... by the way these places are open till 5 in the morning... only during ramazaan, soooo Hoggggggggg till weeee hours.... Lols
Confirmed Sohail, the Jalebi guy opp J.J. Hospital is a hot favourite. Crispiest stuff ive eaten.
Frankly I used to be a fan of Noor Mohammadi's Nalli Nihari but the elast few times ive been there, in the hygiene dept, they've gone worse. IMHO the foods deteriorated a lot too. Sanju baba's recipe should be thrown in the dust bin because its nothing but hogwash.
For best Nalli Nihari go to the Minara Masjid lane and look for Chinese Grill. I know the name completely throws you off but its the Nihari you eat there. also diagonally opposite it,before this place is the Noorani Milk Centre where you get the best Rabri and something called Fruitella. You guys will bless me if you have that. Another place is the Bohari Mohalla where you go for the best Payas and Bhuna- Vallibhai Payawalla next to the Masjid. In the lane perpendicular to it is the Saifee Cold Drink centre where you get unique sherbets and cold drinks. This is opp Tawakkal sweets and Taj Ice cream house.... Outside taj Ice cream you get the best-est Khiccda in the world from a vendor who sells it from his huge cauldron... Opp Tawakkal you get Patra Ghost, the only place I know of who sells the stuff.....I could go on and on.....damn you Sohail, im feeling hungry right now
All these places are on late only during the holy month of Ramzan. Needless to say im there very often armed with my bottle of Digene which you will need after the rich meal.

Last edited by V-16 : 7th September 2007 at 14:56.
Old 7th September 2007, 15:10   #171
BHPian

Gogi a Million Characters to that Mouth watering post
Old 7th September 2007, 15:17   #172
BHPian

Guys try out Bhagat tarachand at Zaveri bazar. They have lovely stuff especially Dal tadka, aloo methi and tawa roti. Also try good SI stuff at Manis - Matunga. For thali - try Thackers - Nirmal Lifestyle mall IMO it is better than Rajdhani.
Old 7th September 2007, 16:01   #173
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Sohail, we must go to these places together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1182 View Post
Guys try out Bhagat tarachand at Zaveri bazar. They have lovely stuff especially Dal tadka, aloo methi and tawa roti. Also try good SI stuff at Manis - Matunga. For thali - try Thackers - Nirmal Lifestyle mall IMO it is better than Rajdhani.
As mentioned earlier in one of my posts, Matunga is a den of South Indian restaurants all better than the other in some of their preparations. Cafe MAdran asd Anand Bhuvan deserve a mention over Mani's, tough I land up at Mani's more often. Gujju Thali at Thakkar's Bhojnalaya (not to be mistaken for Thakker's at Marine Lines) at Girgaum and Friend's Union Joshi Club at Kalbadevi are worth trying and better than most. Bhagat Tarachand is a hot favourite. It serves the Sindhi "Kokki" ,a type of roti and yes the Alu Methi is awesome. Flush it down with a bottle of chaas.
I like Swati Snacks for its Dal Dhokli but the other stuff is highly overrated. In Zaveri Bazaar there is a Jalebi wala who has a shop which is over a 100 years old. great thin and crisp "Desi-Ghee and Kesar" jalebis. Mmmmm!!
If in Bandra, the Annapurna snacks serves the lightest and the tasiest Dhokla in town. Even the Paneer Dhokla is great but I think it is a Punjabi touch to the otherwise great Dhokla. Stick to the original. This is next to Golden Moments of the first Bombay meet fame, opp Mini Punjab restaurant. I dont believe in Hybrid tastes. They take you nowhere. Also try their Kachoris.
While we are at Farsans (Yum Yum) try stuff from Saurashtra Farsan Mart opp the gol Temple at B.B. Dadar opp St. Antonio D'Silva High School. You could kill for the stuff. Amiri Khaman, etc, etc....
I must head for the kitchen now.... all this food talk. see you a little later
Old 7th September 2007, 16:06   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Sohail, we must go to these places together.
Gogi anytime!! Im a Phone call away....))
Old 7th September 2007, 20:06   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Gogi anytime!! Im a Phone call away....))
OYE!!! Take me along too. And hey...all these instructions about Ramzaan food, and NO mention of Biryani? Sacrilege!!!
Old 7th September 2007, 22:20   #176
Senior - BHPian

I dont think i've had Biryani worth mentioning in any restaurant which you can just go and order off the menu. Great briyani meals have been attended by me but then there is a special order for that. Please, dont even mention the Noorani biryani. It is what id call a Conjured up khichdi in a frying pan. even the the Delhi Darbar biryani fails to impress me. I hear that you get great biryani off the menu in Hyderabad.
Old 8th September 2007, 11:00   #177
BHPian

Gogi: which delhi darbar are you referring to... the Jaffer bhai's Delhi darbar which has a yellow hoarding or the one which is at Colaba that has the Jail Types Brick Structure LOLS?
What about Persian darbar's Biryani... any branch, i use to order from the byculla branch, they too have a good tasty Rang Biryani that has to be ordered at minimum a day prior ..

I prefer the biryani's which is ordered through local caterers, nicely done... though i dont eat the biryani to that extent.... but still...

Vikram: Let us know when you come to Bombay, will have a fiesta (not the car)
Old 8th September 2007, 11:41   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Serious recommendation for Indian food lovers. Took my folks to Gallops at the Mahalaxmi race course....excellent food, well-priced drinks and a superb ambience. The service was amongst the best I have experienced in Bombay.

When its not raining, you can sit out in the open and enjoy the breeze.
I am at Gallops at least once a week. used to be my nearly daily haunt,everything about this place is Good. been a patron guest of this place , now 22 years!
Old 8th September 2007, 13:59   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I am at Gallops at least once a week. used to be my nearly daily haunt,everything about this place is Good. been a patron guest of this place , now 22 years!
Quote:
Gallops has been an old favourite of mine. The best is its open all day. Th econti food is one of the best I've ever had and their service is impeccable. The prices are good as the food portioning is quite big. A must try. If one visits in the late afternoon, the view of the racecourse is spellbinding.
I concur, it is a really nice place Enjoyed my visit there!
Old 8th September 2007, 14:12   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gogi: which delhi darbar are you referring to... the Jaffer bhai's Delhi darbar which has a yellow hoarding or the one which is at Colaba that has the Jail Types Brick Structure LOLS?
What about Persian darbar's Biryani... any branch, i use to order from the byculla branch, they too have a good tasty Rang Biryani that has to be ordered at minimum a day prior ..

I prefer the biryani's which is ordered through local caterers, nicely done... though i dont eat the biryani to that extent.... but still...

Vikram: Let us know when you come to Bombay, will have a fiesta (not the car)
on the fiesta bit!!
Its the Jaffer Bhai's Delhi Darbar which has the yellow hoarding. Ive never tried persian durbar's biryani but their Raan Masala is nothing but boiled meat. Bro its raan biryani not Rang biryani (unless you mean colourful biryani had at holi ) I too prefer the caterer biryani.
Passable to Good biryanis available in Bombay are just two
1) Zaffrani biryani at Zaffran, Crawford market
2) Mutton Biryani at Cafe Exelsior opp the Exelsior theatre VT
The biryani at Brittania you eat when you're hungry and dont have any other place to go. Its not bad but you cant call their biryanis actual biryanis. Their berry pullav is something im not even a remote fan of . You go to brittania for the best Caramel custard. The rest of the food is good tough.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks