Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2007, 13:48   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
You enrolled in 1980 when did u pass out?
1992. A year prior to GTO.
Old 26th May 2007, 14:06   #122
Senior - BHPian

I cant believe I left out this place.

Name/Location: Five Spice, Bandra. I think its called Pali Market. Never been to the one at Fort, only asked for home delivery, or office delivery whatever.

Average Cost: Ranging from Rs. 120 to Rs. 300 a serving, I think.

Food: Chinese

Service: Good service, polite and well dressed fellas that look just like the food - uh.. Chinese, that is.

Ambience: Very good, well-lit, tastefully decorated. Not stuffy although its a smoking restaurant.

Conclusion: Hands down, the best value for money Chinese restaurant. Inexpensive booze. Orders get to the table damn quick. Rice and noodle portions are humongous. Seafood has always been fresh and peppy. The desserts are to kill for.
Old 26th May 2007, 14:31   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post

Name/Location: Five Spice, Bandra. I think its called Pali Market. Never been to the one at Fort, only asked for home delivery, or office delivery whatever.
Oooh, my favourite chinese joint... the Fort one is bang opposite the RBI building. The desserts are so popular, I always book mine as soon as I walk in... else, my favourite ones (rocky road / very strawberry / dbc) have an uncanny knack of getting finished by the time the food gets over!! Gosh, its been so long since I visited Mumbai last... this thread is making my life difficult by the day. The tast of Chilli oyster noodles and Sapo Lamb is something I haven't forgotten even though its been over a year!!

And yeah, the servings are humongous... it actually difficult for two people to finish one portion of noodles and one side-dish!!
Old 27th May 2007, 03:27   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heck, even I didn't know Pritam serves Shwarmas. Must admit, it's been a while since I've been there although its a stone's throw from home and office both. Looks like I'll be paying a visit very soon.

Gogi Sir, what happened to Great Punjab? I used to go there very long time back (>15 years), and have a memory of the food being decent, but I went recently, and its not even close to the same. Actually, its been a long time since I've enjoyed good Punjabi food in the Dadar/ Matunga/ Sion area. Peninsula, Suyog and other Manglorean owned Punjabi joints just dont cut it.

Bosco 1980 batch, I think I enrolled for Jr. KG that year.
Dude B&T, Pritam Shawarma's are too good. Without too much exaggerating, i would say there're the best i've had in Mumbai.
As for GPs, well thier chef has changed like 10 times in the last decade or so. They've completely lost thier touch. But some items on the menu are still yummy.

I would really suggest all you Chinese lovers to try out WongVong which has recently opened up at Express Towers,Nariman Point. Its one if the most chic restaurants with great authentic chinese.

X
Old 27th May 2007, 17:12   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
Dude B&T, Pritam Shawarma's are too good. Without too much exaggerating, i would say there're the best i've had in Mumbai.
As for GPs, well thier chef has changed like 10 times in the last decade or so. They've completely lost thier touch. But some items on the menu are still yummy.

I would really suggest all you Chinese lovers to try out WongVong which has recently opened up at Express Towers,Nariman Point. Its one if the most chic restaurants with great authentic chinese.

X
Thanks X,

Thats some useful information. Loks like I gotta head to Pritam da Dhaba in a hurry now.

Another place I forgot to mention..

Name/Location: Dhaba, Oshiwara, Andheri - West

Average Cost: No clue really. Never paid the bill, and dont have adequate memory of numbers on the menu. Plus, I go with someone who avails of the BYOB facility, so it really doesnt get more killer than this in terms of value for money.

Food: Punjabi

Service: Could do with some improvement in this department. But considering that the restaurant is packed to the gills on most days, maybe thats the best they can manage.

Ambience: Never seen a real dhaba in Punjab. Maybe this looks like it. There are bird cages, paintings depicting rural Punjab, chairs and tables look like village furniture. And there's a sardar at the gate to say Satsriyakaal to evryone.

Conclusion: The only Punjabi place where I turn vegetarian, and eat non-spicy food. The Methi Malai Makkai is very nice. Kebabs are also good. Black Daal is rocking. Never got around to eating much else.
Old 27th May 2007, 21:41   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
B&T

Even i havent been to great Punjab in a while. I used to like their food though. They have a branch in bandra too I guess

You enrolled in 1980 when did u pass out?
The bandra branch is owned by another brother but the food differs in both, eeven the menu items are different, so if ur looking for the same experience in either branch, forget it. They only share the common name.

Quote:

Rice and noodle portions are humongous. Seafood has always been fresh and peppy. The desserts are to kill for.
Oh yes I love this one too...fantastic chinese great prices and whopping portions.

Then there is this place in Matunga where you stand and eat on a makeshift ledge. He serves awesome south indian stuff. The name is "Aiyappan". Its in the flower galli where he new manis has opened opp the Mattham and the South Indian temple with awesome carvings. Also opp from the concerns. He makes the best mysore sada, pongal and the criapiest rava dosas anywhere. The fact that ure served right from the griddle on to your plate makes this better. Even bad food tastes better if its piping hot. Try them with three kinds of chutney he serves.

Then how did you guys miss out Ramakrishna Boarding House(or is it called something else) on the first floor, adjacent to the Matunga (E) Rly station right at the parking lot of Matunga Market (E).Superb value meals and awesome Payassam, Pacchdi, avial etc etc.
Yum Yum.

Ah yes when any of you go to Madras Cafe/or Cafe Madras the same thing do try these things;
Mysore Sada; with the white butter and ask for seperate Malga Poodi.
The Beet Root halwa. May sound disgusting but its the yummiest thing if you have a sweet tooth (I have 32)
The Bisibele bhaat (sambhar bhaat)
The Thaeer sadam(curd rice) Its amazing what they can do with a simple curd & Rice.
Mangalore bhajji
etc etc

What about Gujju Thalis?
One of my all time yummiest cuisines is gujju food. I could write a thesis on gujju food and will proudly proclaim to know a lot more than some gujrati brethren about their cuisine.
Rajdhani
Shree Thakkar Bhojnalay
( kalba devi but now sadly closed. This was the best of the best)
Friends Union Joshi Club (kalba devi)
Golden Star at charni rd (overrated but still good)
Then the hotel in Lonavala touching Hotel Vallerina, I forget the name just when you enter lonavala from the expressway and take a left undr the expressway...
Try the Farsaan from Saurashtra Farsaan Mart near the round temple at BB Dadar. Great Ameri Khaman and superb hot kachoris
Go on guys...

For great Sindhi food, kadi, kokki etc... not Kailash Parbat. KP is ver very ok. in fact not good at all.
Bhagat Tarachand beats all hands down The one at Zaveri Bazaar. Theres also one at vashi i believe which i have not visited. I did visist the Shahpur Highway one (where someone was murdered in his car fame) and its not even close.

What about desserts guys?!!
Leta have the best jalebis, gulab jamuns, chocolate cakes, cheese cakes, something different...go on go on...... Right now im hungry so my thinking cap is on!!

Last edited by V-16 : 27th May 2007 at 21:44.
Old 27th May 2007, 23:26   #127
F50
Senior - BHPian

@V-16 Aiyappan he serves fantastic dosas. I have tried all sort of dosas on the list.
And also love going to Madras Cafe. I havent been to these places lately.
Old 27th May 2007, 23:36   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
@V-16 Aiyappan he serves fantastic dosas. I have tried all sort of dosas on the list.
And also love going to Madras Cafe. I havent been to these places lately.
Actually anywhere in Matunga is a great place for south Indian Stuff. there are hoards of these small family owned restaurants which serve the most delectable stuff.
In fact Anand Bhuvan at the Kings Circle signal serves great stuff too. Whenever im going outta town, i stop by and grab a packet of Rice puris to eat as a snack on the way. They look like flat puris (the kind u use in the sev puri) only they're made outta rice and are spiced. Wow! they're crunchier than anything I've ever eaten and delicious.
Old 28th May 2007, 13:05   #129
BHPian

Matunga - i have spent five years eating at every restaurant in matunga and i have truly relished the experience.

nowhere in mumbai you will find south indian restaurants as much as in matunga. all with different palate and different cusine.

two restaurants have not still found their name on this thread, are Shri sunders , ( the restaurant and the bhojnalay) and ramashray.

shri sunders in in the corner of the thane end of matunga station and ramashray is just on the opposite side of the road.

shri sunders bhojnalay is a little bit ahead. a lot of queue in the afternoon for lunch.

ramashray serves a good amount of chutney, different kinds, molgapudi you will have to ask for.

shri sunders serves on kela patta which in turn is kept on the plate.

again different kind of chutneys.

we used to have morning breakfast at shardabhavan , used to open in the morning at 6.30 itself . hot upma is what i used to prefer with lot of cocunut chutney.

my preference list would be

Manis, Ramashray, mysore cafe, Sharda Bhavan, madras cafe, anand bhavan,

for foods other then south indian.

D.Ps ( south indian food with lot of variations. they have changed with times. ) classic, relax, saraswati,

the last i had fruit beer at DP's on friday. they mix soda with apple juice. they have it on their menu for many years now, much before Appy fizz was introduced.

it looks like beer but isnt beer.

Mansi
Old 28th May 2007, 13:40   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Anyone tried JAY Sandwich stall outside National College in Bandra ? Amazing sandwiches and burgers. Update on this anyone please?
Hey Gautam
JAY Sandwich has good burgers but i dont like thier sandwiches much.I would rather suggest the sandwich vendor who is just beside him.Also the dosa wallah outside the mmk college serves great dosas,medu wadas and idlis
Old 2nd June 2007, 00:51   #131
Senior - BHPian

I went to Don Giovanni for lunch today and had one of the best pizzas iv ever had. Iv been hearing about this place for ages and finally went there today. The decore isnt really too fancy or anything but its good some really good food and good service too. The pizza I had, had the thinnest crust ever and loaded with ham and cheese. mmmmmmmmmmm. The strawberry iced tea I had though was quite bad.
Old 17th June 2007, 04:27   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post

X
i Agree !!!! by the way its VongWONG

and its Thai And Chinese
Old 17th June 2007, 05:07   #133
Senior - BHPian

My List, Cuisine Wise:

American : The Hard Rock Cafe - The best Burger and Cheese cake in town (its called something blue burger or something)

Chinese : Golden Dragon at the Taj - Try the BCO Fish/Prawns/Veg,
Haricot Beans, etc, etc.

Continental : Indigo

French : The Zodiac Grille at the Taj

Gujrati : Sadly Shree Thakkar Bhojnalay is no more so I opt for Rajdhani at Zaveri Bazar

Goan : Goa Portuguesa

Indian (North Indian) : (!!)

Italian : Trattoria Thin crust pizzas, Pastas, Cappuccino Tart.

Japanese : Wasabi This restaurant has the single handed distinction
for making me like raw fish. excellent veggie stuff too.

Lebanese : Souk This is the pick of the litter, not necessarily tops but then where is real Lebanese food available in Mumbai

Oriental : Pan Asian at the Grand Maratha Sahar. Superb Teppan Yaki. Must try the Sukune (chicken)

South Indian Vegetarian : Cafe Madras Matunga East

Sizzlers : Kobe only the Hughes Rd one. the other branches are not up to the mark

Thai : The Thai Pavillion Taj President

My choice might not be agreeable to suburban foodies. I think every other eatery in the suburbs has a "PUPPY" as In Yuppy touch. P = Punjabi. (Dont anybody dare call me racist coz im a punju...here we go again!!). The restaurants at The Marriot are good but not good enough. They are a tad bit careless about consistency. Food many a times will taste poles apart from what you've had earlier. If quantity is mainly what you're looking at, head for the suburbs.
Its really sad but no Dedicated Greek, Lebanese, food restaurant in Mumbai.
Then there are restaurants and eateries which do not serve a particular kind of food only but are great places to eat and dig in viz: Cafe Churchill @ Colaba, Ill post more when im more awake...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz!!

Last edited by V-16 : 17th June 2007 at 05:09.
Old 28th June 2007, 23:17   #134
Senior - BHPian

Went to Diva Maharashtracha yesterday. Its next to Goa Portugesa/Culture Curry and is owned by the same owners.

As the name suggests its all Maharashtrian food, I had some pretty nice Mutton curry with some of the best chapatis ever.

worth a try
Old 29th June 2007, 00:32   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
A small Goan eatery in Colaba has become a pilgrimage place for me... HAVE to visit it once whenever i'm in Bombay...

Name/Location - New Martin's Lunch Home / Off Colaba Causeway
Average Cost - Rs 48 is the max. for a dish. Average 35/-
Food - Goan
Service - 5 tables, 2 waiters... adequate
Ambience - Yes
Conclusion - Check out Steak Onion & Chips, Pork Vindaloo and Pork Sorpotel... perhaps the best steak I've ever had (and believe me, I've had a lot )
went to martins the other day, the foods OK - Definatly not the best steak iv had.

Last edited by khanak : 29th June 2007 at 00:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks