Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2016, 17:58   #1111
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Any spicy misal outlets around goregaon west?
If you should ever visit the central side, please go to Aaswad (map link). Tell him to make it spicy, add pav and 'kadak' chai. Incredibly satisfying & surprisingly cheap.
Old 17th October 2016, 17:51   #1112
BANNED

Inspite of spending most of my life in Bombay, I have never eaten the famous Kirti College Vadapav. Tomorrow, I am going to be near Portuguese Church for part of the day & I was think I would try to go to Kirti College (I think it's near Portuguese Church) to try this out. Only issue would be timings - from what time to what time is this available? Also how far is this from Portuguese Church - is it walkable?

Are there any other places near Portuguese church for a good breakfast (vegetarian) in case I am not able to go to Kirti College? The last time I was there I couldn't find too many places - I am looking for Dosa, Misal, Vada and those kind of stuff. Another alternative is to take a cab to Aaswad near Shivaji Park to try their misal - I haven't tried that also - any landmarks to easily find Aaswad?

Last edited by carboy : 17th October 2016 at 17:53.
Old 17th October 2016, 18:19   #1113
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
... The last time I was there I couldn't find too many places - I am looking for Dosa, Misal, Vada and those kind of stuff. Another alternative is to take a cab to Aaswad near Shivaji Park to try their misal - I haven't tried that also - any landmarks to easily find Aaswad?
Closer to Portuguese church would be Prakash. Here is the walking directions from the church.

Aaswad would be a few meters from Sena Bhavan junction to your left if coming from Portuguese church on LJ road.
Old 23rd October 2016, 10:52   #1114
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Inspite of spending most of my life in Bombay, I have never eaten the famous Kirti College Vadapav.
I think he's closed on Sundays.

Quote:
Are there any other places near Portuguese church for a good breakfast (vegetarian) in case I am not able to go to Kirti College?
Aaswad: Spicy Misal + Pav & strong Tea. It's so awesome that you'll be smiling all Sunday.

Prakash also has Misal, but I prefer Aaswad as the latter is air-conditioned and serves Pav with Misal (Prakash doesn't...I can't have misal without bread).

What absolutely rocks at Prakash are the Sabudana Vada, Batata Vada & strong tea.

Enjoy your breakfast .

Any other Sunday you are around here, go to Madras Cafe @ Matunga.
Old 23rd October 2016, 13:57   #1115
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I think he's closed on Sundays.
I went on Tuesday - Had Aaswad Misal for breakfast & Ashok Vada pav for lunch :-)
Old 23rd October 2016, 21:19   #1116
BHPian

I am pretty sure this might have been discussed in this thread before ( probably many times ) but still wanted to share my experience with Hotel Amar Fast food centre at Vile Parle west. I have been eating at this place quite regularly since a month and I must say it's a great place for snacks like Idli, Dosa, Uttappa ,Pav Bhaji, Sandwiches and some more things that I am yet to try. Fruit juices are great too. This food joint is generally crowded and you will find people enjoying eating out here while sitting happily on the footpath over a chatai or inside their cars or keeping plates on the bonnets or sitting inside the dickeys and what not. You will see many cars ( even high end ) and bikes pulling over at this place on both carriageways but despite all this huge crowd, the waiters here manage to provide quick service as their staff strength is really good. I am very sure that BHPians living in Vile Parle/Juhu/Andheri areas would be very much aware of this hotel. It's usually open till wee hours of the night like 2-3-4 a.m. Prices are not at all cheap though in my honest opinion.

Best part is that we Doctors get discount here

Address - Gulmohar road, beside Cooper Hospital, Vile Parle West,Mumbai

Edit - wanted to add that, this hotel is owned by a Kannadiga, based Mangalore, Karnataka which is my home state ( I am from Belgaum ). So naturally, I converse in Kannada with the owner / some of the waiters here. Other day I even noticed that they were happily checking out a Zoom car of Bangalore registration ( KA 03 ) that had stopped at their place.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-img_20161018_214850967.jpg  

Last edited by vivek95 : 23rd October 2016 at 21:42. Reason: Additional Content
Old 23rd October 2016, 21:30   #1117
BHPian

75 pages and no mention of Farid Seekh Kabab Centre in Behram Baug - Jogeshwari.

The kababs are divine!
Old 25th October 2016, 19:44   #1118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Edit - wanted to add that, this hotel is owned by a Kannadiga, based Mangalore, Karnataka which is my home state ( I am from Belgaum ). So naturally, I converse in Kannada with the owner / some of the waiters here. Other day I even noticed that they were happily checking out a Zoom car of Bangalore registration ( KA 03 ) that had stopped at their place.
For that matter, most of the restaurants are owned by people from South Canara(Mangalore) province. Well, 15 years back when i arrived in Mumbai, they used to say if lost go to any restaurant and you can speak in Tulu/Kannada and they shall help you out.

That was the dominance then, now a days the second generation are moving out to other business domains.
Old 25th October 2016, 22:06   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
75 pages and no mention of Farid Seekh Kabab Centre in Behram Baug - Jogeshwari.

The kababs are divine!
Why don't you review the place for us? Don't forget to post photos!!
Old 26th October 2016, 02:44   #1120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Why don't you review the place for us? Don't forget to post photos!!
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed! Sure thing.. on my next visit to Mumbai.
Old 27th October 2016, 19:41   #1121
BANNED

Quote:
I went on Tuesday - Had Aaswad Misal for breakfast & Ashok Vada pav for lunch :-)
Was in the area again today. Today it was Prakash Misal & Poha for breakfast. Prakash Misal is divine. The best I have eaten. And even the Poha was good.
Old 30th October 2016, 09:09   #1122
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Had recently visited Kebabs & Kurries @ the ITC Grand Central after a long time.

Oh my God, what kebabs . Just the perfect flavour, and perfectly cooked. Just as we were recovering from the kebabs came the mind-blowing dal bukhara.

Great ambience, excellent service. Very expensive (dinner for 5 came to 13k). Rating 5 stars.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:44   #1123
Team-BHP Support

ITC's Indian restaurant has always been masterful. No surprises no the quality of their kebabs. They've been consistently outstanding on this front. On that note though, for dinner at a 5 star restaurant that too a signature franchise - 2.5k per head is actually par for course.
Old 21st November 2016, 17:12   #1124
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Farzi Cafe - mind-numbingly good food (owned by a BHPian).

I'm usually lukewarm toward this new concept of 'fusion food'. That changed last night. The grub was outstanding. Great ambience, creatively designed food & excellent music playlist.

One of those places you can't wait to go again. Lip-smacking stuff here.

Check out the presentation
A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-20161120-20.15.14.jpg
Old 21st November 2016, 18:01   #1125
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I am pretty sure this might have been discussed in this thread before ( probably many times ) but still wanted to share my experience with Hotel Amar Fast food centre at Vile Parle west.
Yes, this is a great place, your post brought back mouth watering memories from our visit last year
Earlier post here

While the South Indian stuff like Idly, Dosa are good, do not miss the Pav Bhaji and Club sandwiches - yummy stuff!

Also, do not miss the Pav Bhaji at Juhu beach which is just a short auto ride away from Amar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks