Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 12:31   #976
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Where can I eat really delicious burger's in Mumbai?
Between Breads, opposite Hawaiian Shack, 16th Road, Bandra West.
Old 10th October 2013, 16:37   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Between Breads, opposite Hawaiian Shack, 16th Road, Bandra West.
Also, Sundance Cafe behind Eros. And Cafe Macambo also in town has super burgers. Zomato it for directions.
Old 15th October 2013, 01:07   #978
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Went to Pop Tate at R Mall, Mulund. Tried out Prawn Chilli and Butter Garlic Schezwan Calamari (both starters). Both were good - cost around Rs. 190 each. I had been told that they serve beef burgers, but apparently, they don't. Only chicken and lamb burgers. Service wasn't all that good. It took ages for a waiter to come ask for the order (there was medium rush but nothing close to packed). And the final bill came with an extra item - luckily I saw that got it removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Also, Sundance Cafe behind Eros.
I have had a steak at Sundance 20 years back. My first steak ever - it was called Steak Diane.

Last edited by carboy : 15th October 2013 at 01:09.
Old 15th October 2013, 11:12   #979
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the correct thread but I think it is relevant here - I have seen these days restaurants adding 2 things in the bill - Service Charge and Service Tax. What is the difference? Someone told me that one can ask the restaurant to remove the service charge from the bill. Is this the normal practice followed by all restaurants?

Is service charge related to tips? In that case I should stop paying tips.
Old 15th October 2013, 12:18   #980
Senior - BHPian

Yes and yes. Eateries started levying service charge to make up for customers who would not leave a tip. IIRC the trend started in France or thereabouts and then spread globally. The figure does vary from 6 to 15% and it does take away the choice of tipping from a customer but on the other hand removes the dilemma of how much to tip. One can always ask for this to be removed if one wants.

Now a days the real issue is regarding the serving tax. Ideally this should be levied on the service charge amount but restaurants levy it in the food bill amount. We pay it blindly, they deposit the actual with the service tax department and pocket the rest. Look out for this in your next bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Is service charge related to tips? In that case I should stop paying tips.
Old 15th October 2013, 21:15   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Now a days the real issue is regarding the serving tax. Ideally this should be levied on the service charge amount but restaurants levy it in the food bill amount.
Thats not correct. The service tax rules prescribe a lower rate of service tax on the TOTAL amount, as explained below :
Service Tax on Food Served in Restaurants

The Charges for the Food served in a Restaurant is a composite charge for the food as well as for the Services. As it is a composite charge, Service Tax cannot be levied on the whole amount.
Bifurcation of the Total Bill into 2 parts i.e. Value of Goods Sold and Value of Services Provided is very difficult. Therefore, in case of any Composite Charge, the Govt usually announces an abatement scheme wherein Taxes are not levied on the total amount but only on a certain portion of the total amount.
In order to ensure transparency and standardisation in the manner of determination of the value of such service provided in a restaurant or as outdoor catering, Rule 2C was inserted in the Service Tax (Determination of Value Rules)
As per this Rule, abatement has been allowed for the levy of Service Tax on the Food Served in Restaurants, which says that [COLOR=#993300]Service Tax should be charged only on 40% of the Food Bill (incl Service Charge)[/COLOR] and not on the Total Bill.
Or in other words only [COLOR=#993300]4.94% Service Tax on Restaurant (i.e. 40% of 12.36%)[/COLOR] shall be chargeable
Old 26th November 2013, 13:11   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
So maybe you could recommend some?
FlyingSpur
Hi.
Which area would interest you.
From 450 Irani joints there are less than 50.
Changing times.Happy times.Sad times
Regards
Old 26th November 2013, 14:25   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Went to Britannia at Ballard Pier today .... she wasn't very happy - ..... I remember having eaten at Britannia 20 years back & I remember being satisfied that time.
Britannia and Bade-Miyan have both lost their charm. They are no longer as good as they once were and Britannia for what they offer are way overpriced. The ambiance is literally peeling off the walls (I shudder to think how they maintain their kitchens), service is poor as are the operating times!!

For good Parsi Cuisine (though, still a bit expensive) food head next door to Jimmy Boys at Horniman Circle to have some lip-smacking Patrani Machhi, Veg/Non-Veg Dhansak, Mutton and Chicken Berry Rice, Khasta Pav with Mutton Kheema and how can I forget, the only place I know of that serves Pallonji Drinks - Rose, Strawberry, Ginger Soda!!

If you want a great budget meal head to Harish Lunch Home for lip smacking Maharashtrian / South India Food.

Excellensea for probably the best and freshest sea food and Seaman's Canteen for overall great Chinese non-veg food served at incredibly cheap prices!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Its in sector 15, next to MacDonalds.
Another great place has opened nearby for Italian Food. Pizzavito in Sector 15 belapur is IMHO the best place for Pizza, Pastas, Salads, Calzones and Sandwiches!! We have altogether stopped eating at any other Italian Joint.
Old 26th November 2013, 15:49   #984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
FlyingSpur
Hi.
Which area would interest you.
From 450 Irani joints there are less than 50.
Changing times.Happy times.Sad times
Regards
How about telling me (if there are that many) five of your favourites between Bandra - Churchgate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNarain View Post
For good Parsi Cuisine (though, still a bit expensive) food head next door to Jimmy Boys at Horniman Circle to have some lip-smacking Patrani Machhi, Veg/Non-Veg Dhansak, Mutton and Chicken Berry Rice, Khasta Pav with Mutton Kheema and how can I forget, the only place I know of that serves Pallonji Drinks - Rose, Strawberry, Ginger Soda!!
I agree. There is still so much talk over Brittannia etc, but we have always found Jimmy Boy to be better, food and ambience wise.
Old 26th November 2013, 16:57   #985
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Had a Buffet Lunch at Caravan Sarai, MIDC Andheri East on Sunday & we were indeed pleasure with all the food options.

It starts with unlimited welcome drinks (Fresh lime soda, Iced Tea, Fuit Punch, etc)., starters - Sev Puri & Pani Puri, Paneer, Veg Seekh kabak, Alu Tikki & Roasted Potatoes & Tomoto Soup. The main course was good with Roti of choice served at table & three vegetables, two rice & two dals.
The best part remains the desert with options from Gajar halva, Gulab Jamun, Ras Gulla, 4 types of cakes / pastires & couple of others.

In all the experience was great & the cost was Rs. 672 (all inclusive) per head with no charge for my 6 year old daughter.

Thanks,
Old 30th November 2013, 17:28   #986
BHPian

[quote=FlyingSpur;3303947]How about telling me (if there are that many) five of your favourites between Bandra - Churchgate?

FlyingSpur
Hi
Here is a link from yesterday's DNA (downtown edition) listing a few of the Irani's cafes.

http://epaper.dnaindia.com/story.asp...&wintype=popup

Start with Koolar (it is where the 5 garden road ends at Kings circle). Read a couple of months back in Mid Day about their good egg omelettes.
Then try Kyani ,very good khari biscuits, and wash it down with Raspberry( red in colour) aerated bottled cold drink.You hardly get it anywhere.As I was crazy about it used to order from a local soda factory near Mahim dargah.That was a few years back.
Will give you more names. Bon appetite and have fun.
Regards
PS:One caveat. Nowadays I do not leave my place.Last time I left was in March when I drove to Delhi or in April when I went to Assam and Nagaland.So my information about their quality would be dated.
Old 30th November 2013, 18:13   #987
BHPian

Went to Kakori House with 3 of my friends last month. It's located on LJ Road at Mahim, just across Paradise Cinema.
We went there because of the reviews, all of them were praising the joint for its Awadhi cuisine. (To be honest all we wanted was some mughlai, should have gone to a kebab stall instead)

The menu seemed overpriced. We ordered 4 different kebabs, a total of 16 pieces. That set us back by a little over 1k.

One of their kebabs we ordered

Name:  ForumRunner_20131130_180832.png
Views: 825
Size:  326.8 KB

Also, other than kebabs, their menu seemed very limited. So we decided to move on and went a bit ahead, to an outlet of Jaffer Bhai's Delhi Darbar, which is near Mahim Church.

Here, we ordered Chicken Shawarma, Naans, Butter Chicken and Biryani for all 4 of us. The bill? Rs 900! Also, I was quite surprised to find the Biryani was very fluffy and not oily at all, which had been by experience with them in the past.

Their Chicken Shawarma is surely one of the best I've eaten, and is available outside the restaurant for those who want it on the move.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131130_181232.png
Views: 731
Size:  474.2 KB

Conclusion : Kakori House is worth the money ONLY if you're a big time fan of Awadhi cuisine.

Last edited by Rosso Corsa : 30th November 2013 at 18:21.
Old 1st December 2013, 00:19   #988
BHPian

Rosso Corsa
Hi.
I tried Kakori place twice.Didnt like it.Just about OK.
Went to Lucknow in March and tried their Kakori kebab, good but nothing exceptional.There were other places which were better.
Jaffer Bhai: there are 2.At the place that you had shawarma,try their bhuna gosht, pappe sandwich,chicken tawa roti and their lollipops(this doesn fit but it is good).
I order from them once in 2/3 weeks and it has always been good.
At the other Jafferbhai ordered their biryani and that put me off.Even Off roadie complained about it.
Bon Appetit
Regards
Old 1st December 2013, 11:00   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Rosso Corsa
Jaffer Bhai: there are 2.At the place that you had shawarma,try their bhuna gosht, pappe sandwich,chicken tawa roti and their lollipops(this doesn fit but it is good).
I order from them once in 2/3 weeks and it has always been good.
At the other Jafferbhai ordered their biryani and that put me off.Even Off roadie complained about it.
Bon Appetit
Regards
Hello,
There's only one Jaffer Bhai outlet now. Earlier, there were 2, one at the corner (where they earlier had the Shawarma and snacks) and the main outlet was ahead which was only take-away till last year. Now the corner outlet is gone, it's replaced by Karim's. The main takeaway outlet has the Shawarma, and a proper 2 storied restaurant is started adjacent to it.
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:29   #990
Senior - BHPian

Had been to an impromptu Lunch date with my wife on a weekday to Copper Chimney at Worli since we were in the same area. The buffet options @ 700 including tax was pretty tempting with good variety. But since we were not too hungry and short on time, decided to go a-la-carte.
Went straight for the main course and ordered Macchi Tamatar with Garlic Naan. The main dish consisted of boneless Pomfret fried fillet in a rich thick Tomato Gravy, it was divine with the Naan and plain steamed rice.

Do give it a try next time around, the portion size is good but a tad heavy on the pocket. They are opening a new Branch in Thane at Viviana mall, can't wait for it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks