Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2018, 22:55   #541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Once you retire financially it is a L-O-N-G glide slope to the ground in an unpowered glider. Interest and the occasional cap gain add gusts of wind that slow the descent.
You sir are a true aviation nut and romantic!!! Those lines are such a beautiful way to put it, you should have copyright on that quote. It clearly speaks your experience with life and aviation. I read it again and again.

Quote:
Thank you very much. If you have something on the Tejas please send it.
I am now tempted to acquire a Tomcat and a Hornet thanks to you. To add to my bomber fleet a North American A-5 Vigilante and a Vickers Valiant are on their way.
Not many collectors i know would go for aircraft like the A-5, considering the not so impressive service with the US Navy. The RA-5C though did a reasonably good job till it was replaced by smaller RF-8s and RF-4Bs. I look forward to your A-5A.

1/200 fighter models would look like ants in front to the other fighter models you have. Better to go for a Tomcat and Hornet in the 1/72 scale, but even they might strugge to match the detailing of the tiny 1/200 Hogan fighter models.
Old 18th October 2018, 08:43   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Not many collectors i know would go for aircraft like the A-5, considering the not so impressive service with the US Navy. The RA-5C though did a reasonably good job till it was replaced by smaller RF-8s and RF-4Bs. I look forward to your A-5A.
You are very sharp. The one I picked is indeed the RA-5C. I always liked the Vigilante. It got written about a lot in the aviation magazine issues of the late 1960s and early 1970s which I used to buy second hand whenever and wherever I could find them! - maybe that is why it got imprinted in my juvenile brain. For its time it was a technology king.

Imagine introducing fly by wire in the early 1960s or inertial navigation, or head-up display. Partly because of incorporating too much of unproven technology it did not do well and remained a maintenance nightmare all through its 18 year career with the USN. But it did set the world altitude (with payload) record in 1960 that stood for 13 years and it could give fighters a good run for their money at both low and high altitudes.

Interestingly at the time it was considered a very large aircraft especially for one that was carrier-borne. And its shape added to that feeling of size. In reality the Su-30MKI is just a little smaller!
Attached Thumbnails
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-ra5c-vigilante.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 18th October 2018 at 08:45.
Old 19th October 2018, 05:51   #543
BHPian

Quote:
You are very sharp. The one I picked is indeed the RA-5C. I always liked the Vigilante. It got written about a lot in the aviation magazine issues of the late 1960s and early 1970s which I used to buy second hand whenever and wherever I could find them! - maybe that is why it got imprinted in my juvenile brain.
From the Book you had given me "Mig-21 Aces of the Vietnam War" I remember at least one was blasted out of the sky by a Vietnamese Mig-21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post

The wing of a 787 is made of composites and can flex to an extraordinary extent. "In flight, all you will feel is less shaking due to gusts, because the wing will dampen load changes more effectively. The wing acting essentially like a giant leaf spring."
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screen-shot-20181018-5.16.24-pm.png

On a flight onboard a United Airlines Boeing 787-8 I got to see the flex of the wings in real life.

The wing on the ground.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screen-shot-20181018-5.17.53-pm.png

Flexed while flying at 40,000 ft.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-screen-shot-20181018-5.18.42-pm.png

Last edited by Foxbat : 19th October 2018 at 05:58.
Old 19th October 2018, 12:11   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the Book you had given me "Mig-21 Aces of the Vietnam War" I remember at least one was blasted out of the sky by a Vietnamese Mig-21
The RA-5C had the highest loss rate among all USN aircraft. Not surprising considering the role it was Photo-recon and BDA missions it was employed.

The PR crews flew into battle unarmed, at most times alone and unafraid. They, irrespective of their nationality, were a special breed and as a dedication to them, i will be getting an RF-4E in the next 2-3 weeks. My copy of the book - Iran Iraq Air war, has quite a few stories about Iranian RF-4E crews, some of the missions they flew were outright audacious.

Quote:
Hogan has come up with two new models of the AI Star Alliance logo jet( VT-ANU)...one of them is in ground config(without stand) and the ther one is in flight with wings flexed(with stand). This time they have painted regn on the fuselage as well as the wings(unlile tjwir normal AI 787 model which does not have regn). Youshould consider getting one of them. I already have that model in metal from JC Wings.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 19th October 2018 at 12:19.
Old 20th October 2018, 04:27   #545
BHPian

Just visited a small air museum in California which was once home to the worlds only airborne aircraft carriers: https://www.moffettfieldmuseum.org/

The aircraft were storied in the belly of the blimp as shown in this 1/72 model:
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181019_132936.jpg

A model of Narayan's upcoming RA-5C can be seen among other models.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181019_134830.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181019_134821.jpg

Some retired aircraft in not very good condition were on display which were once used by NASA for testing purposes:

ER-2 (Earth Resources 2, a derivative of the Lockheed U-2)
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181019_125334.jpg

Vietnam veteran AH-1 Cobra
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181019_130810.jpg

Ex-Luffwaffe F-104 acquired by NASA for testing
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181019_130858.jpg

Ex-Blue Angels Acrobatic team early model F/A-18
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181019_131008.jpg

The hangers for the huge rigid blimps in present state.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181019_141320.jpg

Quote:
i will be getting an RF-4E in the next 2-3 weeks. My copy of the book - Iran Iraq Air war, has quite a few stories about Iranian RF-4E crews, some of the missions they flew were outright audacious.
The tour guide in this museum was a retired RF-4B Phantom pilot from the Vietnam War. Incidentally I asked him if he flew at Mach 2 in his reconnaissance missions but he replied he used to fly as fast as possible just above the ground at subsonic speeds. He told me the Migs were too scared to come out for a fight and he never encountered any I was reminded of Skanchan's many Phantom stories and models. The RF-4s were flown before attacking aircraft to designate targets and then after the mission to assess the damage. He says the enemy always knew they were coming because of this. They rarely carried any weapons so as to fly as fast as possible with a clean configuration.

Last edited by Foxbat : 20th October 2018 at 04:34.
Old 20th October 2018, 22:20   #546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Beautiful photo. this degree of flexing is thanks to modern carbon fibre materials.
Quote:
Just visited a small air museum in California which was once home to the worlds only airborne aircraft carriers
Thank you for sharing the photos of the models.
Quote:
The tour guide in this museum was a retired RF-4B Phantom pilot from the Vietnam War. Incidentally I asked him if he flew at Mach 2 in his reconnaissance missions but he replied he used to fly as fast as possible just above the ground at subsonic speeds. He told me the Migs were too scared to come out for a fight and he never encountered any I was reminded of Skanchan's many Phantom stories and models. The RF-4s were flown before attacking aircraft to designate targets and then after the mission to assess the damage. He says the enemy always knew they were coming because of this. They rarely carried any weapons so as to fly as fast as possible with a clean configuration.
The fighter pilot with a small ego aint been born yet!! No matter which side you are on you've got to believe in the prowess of your aircraft and yourself to do what all combat pilots do.

Vickers Valiant Bomber 1:144 scale Corgi

The model is about 9 inches in length and 9.5 inches in wing span

The Vickers Valiant was a British four-jet high-altitude bomber, and was part of the Royal Air Force's V bomber nuclear force in the 1950s and 1960s. The Valiant was the first of the V bombers to become operational, and was followed by the more advanced Handley Page Victor and the Avro Vulcan. The Valiant was the mainstay of UK’s nuclear deterrent from 1955 to the early 1960s. It was a simpler low risk alternate to the high-tech Avro Vulcan and Handley Page Victor that were developed simultaneously. It is noteworthy that in the 1950s Britain's aeronautical industry could develop and successfully put into service not one but 3 heavy bombers.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-vickers-valiant-1.jpg
The Valiant took part in the infamous attack by UK, France and Israel on the Suez Canal in 1956.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-vickers-valiant-2.jpg
The aircraft was powered by four Rolls Royce Avon turbojets – the same that powered the Hawker Hunter – which together put out 40,000 lbf of thrust (~18,100 kgf). This flew the aircraft to a top speed of ~900 kmph at altitude and a ferry range of ~7200 kms. It could carry a conventional bombload of 9450 kgs. All in all a decent performance for 1955 when it entered service.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-vickers-valiant-3.jpg
Its contemporaries were the Boeing B-47 Stratojet and the everlasting Tupolev Tu-16 a Chinese copy of which is still in full squadron service. While the Valiant’s user, the RAF, believed the aircraft could survive by speed and altitude the Tupolev carried no fewer than three twin turrents of defensive 23mm cannons! Even the B-47 carried a twin 20mm cannon set in its tail with radar fire control.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-vickers-valiant-4.jpg
In the end the Valiants suffered metal fatigue to an extraordinary degree and were retired by 1964-65. In 1964 a Valiant’s wing unhinged in mid-flight due to metal fatigue!!! This is the only case I know of the wing itself tearing out partially of a modern aircraft in mid-flight. These things used to happen in the 1903-1930 period but not thereafter. The pilot safely landed the stricken aircraft without the aid of flaps or ailerons.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-vickersvaliant-wkpown6.jpg
Photo Source: Wikipedia
In real life. The Valiant along with its later contemporaries the Victor and the Vulcan were the final bomber greats to emerge from the British aeronautical industry. Here I am treating the Buccaneer as a fast combat lo-lo strike aircraft and not a traditional long range bomber. The redoubtable British aeronautical industry was driven into the ground by a long line of second rate politicians.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-vickersvaliantpegasusagefotostock5.jpg
Photo Source: agefotostock
A small part of the Valiant lives on. It was used as a flying test bed for the first Rolls Royce Pegasus engine that even today powers the Harrier family.
Old 22nd October 2018, 17:31   #547
BHPian

Scale Models - Aircrafts & Ships

Quote:

Thats one very rare but rather ugly piglet (I think along with the other V bombers) only the mother pig(UK aviation enthusiasts) would like

No one builds them like the Russian beauty queens (Bear, Backfire, Blinder, Blackjack).

1/72 US Air Force F-15A in 1980s livery "76-0022" 318th Fighter Interceptor Squadron 'Green Dragons'
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181022_170151.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181022_170202.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181022_170247.jpg

The Real Aircraft.
Name:  Screen Shot 20181022 at 5.22.19 pm.png
Views: 479
Size:  387.7 KB

Next to the Foxbat, the aircraft it was designed to counter (how I wish I had a 1/72 Foxbat!).
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181022_170656.jpg

Last edited by Foxbat : 22nd October 2018 at 17:35.
Old 22nd October 2018, 20:12   #548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats one very rare but rather ugly piglet (I think along with the other V bombers) only the mother pig(UK aviation enthusiasts) would like
You are right. An Indian in the 21st century collecting a Valiant has to be off the grid a bit. Kya Karen, we are like that only. Most Indian pilots and aviation professionals may have heard of the Avro Vulcan but Valiant, who's that??!!
Quote:
No one builds them like the Russian beauty queens (Bear, Backfire, Blinder, Blackjack).
What would I not give to lay my hands on a Backfire, Blinder and Bison.
Quote:
1/72 US Air Force F-15A in 1980s livery "76-0022" 318th Fighter Interceptor Squadron 'Green Dragons'
Next to the Foxbat, the aircraft it was designed to counter (how I wish I had a 1/72 Foxbat!).
Your F-15 looks deadly and purposeful. The F-15 has such clean lines like the MiG-25 - wedge inlets, large moderately swept wings, two powerful thrust jobs, twin fins, huge tankage. That cockpit with its almost 360 degree view was a good thing the Americans put in along with the conformal fuel tanks. The two look great together. Congratulations. May your fleet prosper.
Old 23rd October 2018, 17:59   #549
BHPian

1/72 US Navy F/A-18C "Golden Dragons" VFA-192

The Golden Dragons are members of Carrier Air Wing Five embarked on the USS Independence. VFA-192 was established on 26 March 1945, standing up with the F6F Hellcat. Since then, the Dragons have flown an impressive lineup: the F8F Bearcat, F4U Corsair, F9F-5 Panther, F9F-6 Cougar, FJ-4B Fury, A-4D Skyhawk, and the A-7E Corsair II. Today, the Dragons patrol the skies with the Navy's newest and most capable aircraft ever, the F/A-18 Hornet.

Skanchan has the same model and had posted it previously.

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181023_1711102.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181023_171145.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181023_171158.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181023_171217.jpg

The real plane.
Name:  Screen Shot 20181023 at 5.42.30 pm.png
Views: 465
Size:  397.5 KB

F-14,F-15, F-16 and F/A-18. Completed the US teen collection
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181023_171701.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181023_1718052.jpg

You can clearly see why the F-14 is from another class of fighters.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181023_1720212.jpg
Old 23rd October 2018, 19:24   #550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Today, the Dragons patrol the skies with the Navy's newest and most capable aircraft ever, the F/A-18 Hornet.

You can clearly see why the F-14 is from another class of fighters.
Congratulations Foxbat. The fearsome four look very impressive. Looks like Sandesh is having a subtle influence under the radar :-) Even I am now tempted to capitulate and go for a F-14 and F-18. Looks like you are making the most of your visit. Interested to see what else you pick up
Old 23rd October 2018, 19:39   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations Foxbat. The fearsome four look very impressive. Looks like Sandesh is having a subtle influence under the radar :-) Even I am now tempted to capitulate and go for a F-14 and F-18. Looks like you are making the most of your visit. Interested to see what else you pick up
Thanks Narayan. I am back in India, was a short 5 day visit and all these were ordered from eBay from a seller in China. I had ordered 4 diecast models and shipped them to a US address to pickup and also brought an extra suitcase to carry them back to India. Unfortunately the seller mixed up my order with someone else and I had to return them and came back empty handed
Old 24th October 2018, 09:48   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A bomber I know nothing about. Its a historic and Great looking model. Congratulations!!! Time to read more about the Valiant.

Quote:
Quote:
Fantastic additions to your collection. Congratulations. I feel Easy Model's Hornet model is the best looking model among all their 1/72 Fighter models...

Quote:

The real plane.
It is nitpicking, but that's a VFA-192 F/A-18E Super Hornet, not a F/A-18C Hornet.

Apart from the F/A-18E being noticeably bigger than the F/A-18C, Note the squared off, and larger set of air intakes on the E model Super Hornet, when seen from the front, whereas the regular F/A-18A/B/C/D Hornets have a relatively small, rounded set of intakes. The number of weapons stations on each wing of a Super Hornet is four, while on the regular Hornet, it is three. Also, the Leading Edge Root Extension(LERX) of the E/F Super Hornet are much bigger than the Regular A/B/C/D Hornet.

Pic from earlier in the thread. The Golden Dragons Hornet is a F/A-18C, while the two Hornets of VFA-147(Argonauts) and VFA-27(Royal Maces) flanking it, are F/A-18Es.

Quote:

Last edited by skanchan95 : 24th October 2018 at 10:08.
Old 24th October 2018, 17:34   #553
BHPian

Quote:
It is nitpicking, but that's a VFA-192 F/A-18E Super Hornet, not a F/A-18C Hornet.
Yes I stand corrected. I also noticed a slightly different livery (yellow lining of the canopy etc.)

1/72 US Navy F-14B Tomcat VF-74 "Be-delivers" which served aboard the carrier USS Saratoga. I had built a roughly 1:500 scale model of this carrier as a child which came with dozens of aircraft(including F-14s) in 1:500 scale to be glued onto its deck (which I didn't so I could move them and play with them )

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181024_165800.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181024_165816.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181024_165840.jpg

Full load of Sidewinders, Sparrows and Phoenixes. I noticed in this model the Sidewinders front is painted black as it should be and not one color as in the previous model I had purchased.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181024_165902.jpg

The actual aircraft aboard the USS Saratoga in 1991 during Operation Desert Storm.
Name:  Screen Shot 20181024 at 5.18.14 pm.png
Views: 392
Size:  477.5 KB

A shot of the plane landing on the Carrier in 1986.
Name:  Screen Shot 20181024 at 5.36.20 pm.png
Views: 395
Size:  483.3 KB

Joins the other Tomcat in my collection. It remains my favourite western aircraft so I do need more than one! The other livery is much better in my opinion than this plane grey one.
Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181024_170132.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181024_170305.jpg

Scale Models - Aircraft, Battle Tanks & Ships-img_20181024_1704382.jpg

Last edited by Foxbat : 24th October 2018 at 17:42.
Old 25th October 2018, 09:21   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1/72 US Navy F-14B Tomcat VF-74 "Be-delivers" which served aboard the carrier USS Saratoga. I had built a roughly 1:500 scale model of this carrier as a child which came with dozens of aircraft(including F-14s) in 1:500 scale to be glued onto its deck (which I didn't so I could move them and play with them )
Nice looking model. Congratulations.
The Bedevilers were the first ever USN squadron to fly the F-4B Phantom deploying aboard the USS Forrestal (which later became involved in the infamous and tragic USS Forrestal Fire in 1967). VF-74 lost a couple of Phantoms and a few men in the fire that day.

Quote:
Full load of Sidewinders, Sparrows and Phoenixes. I noticed in this model the Sidewinders front is painted black as it should be and not one color as in the previous model I had purchased.
My VF-143 F-14 has its Phoenixes painted grey and Sparrows and Sidewinders painted white. I suppose your VF-74 model is the only one from Easy Model that has its weapons painted correctly.

Quote:
Joins the other Tomcat in my collection. It remains my favourite western aircraft so I do need more than one! The other livery is much better in my opinion than this plane grey one.
Both look great together. What is the that Olympics(?) logo on the radar dome on the starboard side?
Yeah the 80s and 90s had some very flash schemes for the Tomcat. Tomcats pics from VFs 31,84,111,142 immediately come to mind. That being said, even our MiGs had some very flashy and innovative paint schemes during that era. Low viz schemes are operationally effective but boring to look at. Usually its the CAG/DCAG jets that tend to be more flashy than others jets in the air wing.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 25th October 2018 at 09:44.
Old 25th October 2018, 17:37   #555
BHPian

Quote:

What is the that Olympics(?) logo on the radar dome on the starboard side?
I'm not able to find this logo, can you show it in a pic ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks