Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2016, 13:49   #1
BHPian

Automotive information...as shown in the movies!

We have grown up watching movies and hardly one may be able to recall a movie which does not feature an automobile. Automobiles form an integral constituent of our Movies (Bollywood, Hollywood and Regional); at the same time the information related to automobiles, be it the way of driving, technical aspects or any other, as shown in movies portray the Automobile world in a more fanciful shade.

In this thread an attempt is being made to list out all such weird information (gyaan) as portrayed in movies with respect to Automobiles in general, irrespective of whether it is true or not, possible or impossible. Definitely pun intended.

1. If the brakes fail, a Car cannot be stopped. In fact the car then runs uncontrollably at top speed. The only way to stop such car is by crashing. (Source Movie: Race)
2. A motorbike can be used to climb stairs (Source Movie: Kohram)
3. A motorbike can be kick started with head as well (Source Movie: Dream Girl)
4. A Car, if happens to run under a truck becomes a Convertible (Source Movie: Ishq)
5. A Car can be driven by sitting above the roof (Source Movie: Mr. Bean)
6. A Car can be driven in tight spaces by tilting on just two wheels (Source Movie: Ishq)
7. Wind shield washer jets can be doubled up to clean mouth after brushing teeth (Source Movie: Mr. Bean)
8. Cars do run on whisky (Source Movie: Baat ban jaye)
9. Light aircrafts come with low quality stand-by engines (Source Movie: Dhamaal)
10 There can be invisible Cars around us (Source Movie: Die Another Day)

At present these are the things that come to my mind. There could be several more. Members may add up such informative things based on your movie experience.

P.S: Moderators, I was unable to find any thread with similar content, as such I have created a new thread. Moderators may please merge this post if another thread exists for similar content.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 20th October 2016 at 13:54.
Old 20th October 2016, 13:59   #2
BHPian

re: Automotive information...as shown in the movies!

You forgot to mention how car stunts in Rohit Shetty's movies defies physics, common sense and logic altogether.

Case in point, this scene:

Last edited by Sherlocked : 20th October 2016 at 14:04.
Old 20th October 2016, 14:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
8. Cars do run on whisky (Source Movie: Baat ban jaye)
Even aeroplanes run on whiskey (Gods Must Be Crazy)

Automotive information...as shown in the movies!-ml1.jpg
Old 20th October 2016, 14:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post

1. If the brakes fail, a Car cannot be stopped. In fact the car then runs uncontrollably at top speed. The only way to stop such car is by crashing. (Source Movie: Race)
Always found this one hilarious, its not only in Race but countless no. of movies in the 70's & 80's where the villian "fails" the brakes of the car and the hero has an accident/falls of the mountain when he realizes "no brakes"
Old 20th October 2016, 15:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am unable to put into words about the bike used by Aamir Khan in Dhoom 3 where he drives it over water.

What about the ad by Salman Khan for Thums Up? Amphibious bikes on sale??
Old 20th October 2016, 15:09   #6
BHPian

Salman khan one is just a slight modification and has been done in real too but the one in Dhoom 3 can convert into a submarine, a motor boat, a bike and what not. Speak of going too far.

Also in many movies cars fly really high and then land on the wheels with nothing happening to the car or the occupants. Just a minor jerk like while going over a really high speed breaker at high speed and braking at the same time.
Old 20th October 2016, 15:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I am unable to put into words about the bike used by Aamir Khan in Dhoom 3 where he drives it over water.

What about the ad by Salman Khan for Thums Up? Amphibious bikes on sale??

Not completely impossible

And re. motorcycles climbing stairs, My father told me of a demo done by Enfield India (or was it still Royal Enfield then?) many decades ago to sell bikes to the army and police. They rode the Bullet up St-Thomas Mount in Madras (near the airport). Beauty is, they rode the bike up and down the pedestrian stairs, not the road.

Cheers
Old 20th October 2016, 16:03   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hahaha, nice thread. Here's one phenomenon that is standard across all movies.

If you want to go faster, you upshift . Doesn't matter if you were already pushing it. One more upshift and you'll go faster.

If you meet with an accident, your car will only explode seconds after you have been removed from it. It'll never explode while the hero is still in the car .

Old 20th October 2016, 16:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Two words: TV Tropes.

Specifically, this category: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...rVehicleTropes

For instance, the whole business of cars exploding after getting the slightest dent is referred to as Every Car is a Pinto.
Old 20th October 2016, 16:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

And what's with the truck driver continuously steering the truck even if its going straight.

I remember a Rajesh Khanna movie where he was steering the truck like crazy while in the scene the truck is just going straight.

I know that the steering might continuously require small inputs but he just went crazy in that movie.
Old 20th October 2016, 16:58   #11
BHPian

What about all sorts of people doing "hanky panky" in cars and leaving their window glasses open (in movie PK)?
Old 20th October 2016, 17:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

All the Automobiles shown in Movies have bald tires and no ABS but each of them possess superb braking abilities (read bite) because the wheels lock up even when they come to dead stop at 5 KMPH - Whether its a Parking lot or a Hotel Entry or a compound of your home.

I have heard more screeching noise from wheels in movies than in real life.
Old 20th October 2016, 17:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
What about all sorts of people doing "hanky panky" in cars and leaving their window glasses open (in movie PK)?
Because they don't want to run out of fresh air.

---

1. One can slide bikes underneath trucks (D3, MI). Though some have slid horses too.
2. People can pull stoppies without even touching the brake lever.
3. One can jump out of running cars and roll for some distance (thank god for that), but not suffer any injuries.
4. Airbags never deploy in car crashes (even if it's a high end car, they simply explode "after" the subjects are safe).
5. Bullets make big holes on the exterior, but somehow never manage to hit the fuel tank.

And many more!
Old 20th October 2016, 17:52   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder why we never had a thread like this before!

Here's my $0.02:
  • Twisting the wheel left and right furiously makes the car go in a straight line (any number of 1960s Hindi films)
  • If a young woman misses a bus/train, she will ask for a lift from a handsome young man in a red convertible. At first said young gent will be reluctant but eventually agree and fall in love (DDLJ, was it?)
  • On a girl's 16th birthday, her father will say something to upset her and she will storm out of the house refusing a ride to school. In the driveway will be parked a nice American car [red bow optional]. Chastened daughter will hug Dad with tears in eyes as Dad recalls how his Dad handed over keys to some derelict hot rod in his youth (any 80s "family" film)
  • A young man with not a pot to piss in will somehow manage to pick up his rich prom date in a black stretch limo with a bouquet in one hand and head popping out of the sunroof (generic romantic comedy of your choice)

Last edited by noopster : 20th October 2016 at 17:53.
Old 20th October 2016, 18:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
because the wheels lock up even when they come to dead stop at 5 KMPH - Whether its a Parking lot or a Hotel Entry or a compound of your home.

I know! It used to be so irritating but I'm glad it stopped for good.

How about our hero's ability to get a bike airborne with just a jerk. He can fly over trucks, rivers and what not. The Indian hero doesn't need an elevated platform to take off, just a sudden jerk as if he's lifting the bike up and voila, you've got wings!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks