Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2006, 09:41   #16
Team-BHP Support

Totally pointless burning the bus - now the evidence has been wiped out unless the driver had logged complaints
Old 18th October 2006, 10:44   #17
BHPian

Brake Failure on a New Volvo????

I find it difficult to believe that a relatively new Volvo bus could have a brake failure. The Volvo fleet was inducted quite recently. I am sure they have multi channel brake systems so that even if one line fails, there would be enough braking force to safely stop the vehicle. Volvo is renowned globally for safety.

This sounds more like an excuse put out by BMTC.

On the issue of burning the bus, this seems to be a fairly common phenomenon to burn the vehicle after an accident. This reflects state of the Government which cannot provide any level of saftey for the people from traffic offenders. People get angry and vent their frustration on the offending vehicle and some other Govt. vehicles. Of course a few hooligans also join in the party.

Surely this is wrong but we can expect to see more such scenes if the Government continues its apathy towards citizens' basic issues.
Old 18th October 2006, 11:04   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

My original sympathies lie with the Volvo driver in this case, if the newspaper reports are true. Apparently, he swerved to avoid some HAL employees who were using the road like a park, and had a knock-on effect on the autos and bikes parked where they weren't supposed to be, and the other people there. Just 'cos he was the bigger vehicle with the highest visibility there doesn't justify as a sufficient case for the stomach-curling behavior displayed by these "sadak lawyers".

This resentment that most society has with the high-profile lifestyle products aimed at people with higher disposable incomes manifests itself as these types of unacceptable behaviors like torching buses and cars. Sad, but true.
Old 18th October 2006, 11:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
This resentment that most society has with the high-profile lifestyle products aimed at people with higher disposable incomes manifests itself as these types of unacceptable behaviors like torching buses and cars. Sad, but true.
Ironically, it is the same group that suffers when incidents like this occur. I drove through Marathalli to get home last evening around 7.00 pm. By then, most of the commuter traffic was back to normal, but I saw hundreds of people walking along the sides of the road or stranded at bus stops because the bus service (at least in that area) had been temporarily suspended.
Old 18th October 2006, 11:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Fully agree with TheMag, I had once boarded a Volvo BMTC Bus from Majestic to ITPL. They drive it very carefully and sedatly. Never felt he was overspeeding or so. In fact, the driver was very cautious, as if driving his own car.
And yesterday's accident as per reports was caused by a sudden U turn by a scooter guy, the driver had to swerve the bus to avoid him and HAL janta at the Bus stop, but lost the control and rammed onto a Auto and the people at the Bus stop.
But the way HAL employees went frenzy, blocked the roads and burnt the Bus (costs whopping 70 lacs) and other vehicles is highly uncivilized and unacceptable!

Last edited by finneyp : 18th October 2006 at 11:29.
Old 18th October 2006, 11:41   #21
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi! all
today i saw the site of accident. it near the HAL helicopter division bus stop( within 100 meters of it). the bus coming from ITPL hit the busstand in the opposite side( towards the whitefiled) the bus shelter is a mangled heap. all the iron rods are twisted no roof( might have been burnt) the persons injured are those standing in the bus stop not those who are parking on the road as some one said earlier. the road wide. it could have been easily tow lane . no road divider that's all. the bus hit the stand on the opposite lane
Old 18th October 2006, 11:56   #22
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Totally pointless burning the bus - now the evidence has been wiped out unless the driver had logged complaints
Pointless and criminal. Those indulging in arson and damaging of public property should be treated like dangerous criminals and in my opinion, fired upon. Once a few bite the bullet, this behaviour will stop. This is what will happen in advanced countries -- no one will dare to even think of burning a bus in the US, example.

I have driven on Airport Road for over 10 years and it is easy to see why this type of accident should take place. Quite likely that the Volvo bus driver was not to blame, or at least was not the sole offender.

Last edited by rks : 18th October 2006 at 11:59.
Old 18th October 2006, 12:22   #23
DRC
BHPian

Yesterday I reached home at 10. While driving back, I was stopped for about 10 mins as the burnt bus was being moved.

I am still unable to digest the very idea of burnign the bus for any and every accident.

Cause of the accident seemed very obvious. I travel on this road every day to work and this one spot is tricky and dangerous. If you are driving from Marathalli towards MG road, right at this point the median ends. and suddenly the road on the left side converges to become a 2 lane road. Which means the vehicles on the left most lane if they continue without merging to the right lane will end up in a gutter. Usually autos and two wheelers and others who either try to overtake from the left or play "at par with 7bhp" will have to suddenly cut the right lane. Many cabbies play this dirty trick every day. Just htere on the right side there is this bus stop, where HAL employees create a market every shift change. (Yes a market, there will be quick make shift shops come up from nowhere just for about 30 mins who sell ciggys and pan)
If the auto guy had played tis trick of last minute lane change, obviously a bus weighing 18 ton would not have an option to plough into this market even with the best breaks. or ram the auto itself.
Old 18th October 2006, 12:36   #24
BHPian

There is no excuse for torching buses...After all they have been bought with tax payers money .... As long as people go scott free with such acts of indiscipline more and more buses will be burnt...

Its heading towards anarchy
Old 18th October 2006, 12:39   #25
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi! guys
see today deccan herald. the photo clearly shows the bus hit the stop. the bus was overtaking and hit a auto folllowed by three to four bikes coming in opposite lane then hit a tree and then rammed in to bus stop. HAL cranes (3 no's ) have to used to lift the bus so that injured can be removed from under the bus. bus driver interview is also there. he said he is complaining to BMTc that brakes are not functioning properly during the last 15 days. he also menioned another driver name who also complained that brakes are not proper. HAl guys may be having a market. but that does not justify some one to cross lanes and hit commuters standing in busstop. we have to come over the hangover that volvo are supreme bec they are volvo. mistakes do happen to anyone. every one who commutes regulalry through that road knows that around 3 Pm it will be crowded bec of shift change. defeinetely the volvo driver also knows it as it is city bus. responsible driving involves to be cautious during such occasions. one can see similar scenes at audugodi also when mICo shifts takes place at 2PM. the road linking adugodi and bannerghetta road will a virtual vegetable amrket from 1.45 to 2.30 PM. does that justify accidents? this phenomena of market( temp ones ) near factory shifts is age old. simply bec we have more cars now we want them to stop the practice is simply arrogance( i feel) In any large factory when there is shift there will be crowd. does that mean the workers have no right to come onto the road to catch ciy bus or rout bus to go home. all will be coming out at once only. same is the case with school timings. i personally feel the bus driver should not have tried to overtake at such time. he has hit bike fellows from opposite lane not some bike guy trying to overtake him from worngside. ( this is simply not possible as the bus hit people on the right side which is correct side for overtaking) if it has hit some one on the left then it might have been some rash bikers. but not in this case. the main problem bangalore facing is due four wheelrs. one man travels in a car and it occupies space in which more than four two wheelers can go. trafic jams are due to four wheelers not bikes. bec bike.scooters can be easily managed to overcome jam. if two bikes come just opposite each other even then one can go back a little ot turn little to allow the other. but it is not case with cars/jeeps/buses/ most jams are bec cars/buses violate lane and come in opposite. others will follow him. then they can neither go back or fornt and jam.

Last edited by rkg : 18th October 2006 at 12:43.
Old 18th October 2006, 12:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Wiped out is the right word. Have never seen such perfect execution! the bus is burned completely. Sure they have a well trained "burning" team, with raw materials and tools to execute the job
Old 18th October 2006, 12:49   #27
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Pointless and criminal. Those indulging in arson and damaging of public property should be treated like dangerous criminals and in my opinion, fired upon.
you'v said it.
From Times of india: " The police spoke to HAL Employees' Association and brought the situation under control."
See the fate. Police had to negotiate with them to make them stop their criminal activities. That is our fate. I just pray to god... Open their eyes.. Give peope some sense.
Old 18th October 2006, 12:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Well this is not the 1st time we bangaloreans have witnessed such a thing. Truly is a sad incident and burning the bus isnt the solution. Ideally as always the torching of the bus should be the handy work of some ruthless hooligans.
Old 18th October 2006, 13:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
HAl guys may be having a market. but that does not justify some one to cross lanes and hit commuters standing in busstop.
Hey RKG I respect your sentiments on the issue and abolutely agree that it does not justify jumping lanes

Quote:
we have to come over the hangover that volvo are supreme bec they are volvo. mistakes do happen to anyone. every one who commutes regulalry through that road knows that around 3 Pm it will be crowded bec of shift change. defeinetely the volvo driver also knows it as it is city bus. responsible driving involves to be cautious during such occasions.
Again agree with both the points that volvo did'nt drop from the sky, and more than agree its common sense that the driver knew the vehicle had faulty brakes he knew that the area is crowded and hence had to be more carefull than perform antics on the road

Quote:
one can see similar scenes at audugodi also when mICo shifts takes place at 2PM. the road linking adugodi and bannerghetta road will a virtual vegetable amrket from 1.45 to 2.30 PM. does that justify accidents? this phenomena of market( temp ones ) near factory shifts is age old. simply bec we have more cars now we want them to stop the practice is simply arrogance( i feel) In any large factory when there is shift there will be crowd. does that mean the workers have no right to come onto the road to catch ciy bus or rout bus to go home. all will be coming out at once only.
Its here my freind that I disagree with you, just because we have been doing something for all the donkey's years does'nt mean we have to continue the same practice, would you encourage vendors spill over to the road making it impossible for smooth traffic flow,
This does not justify accidents but sure makes such area prone for accidents. Yes its agreed that we have more cars now so does it mean people buy it to park at their homes, because there is lot of traffic on the road. I guess not. Workers from the factory do have a right to come out in a orderly fashion but not to meander across the street using the numbers as a excuse.

Quote:
the main problem bangalore facing is due four wheelrs. one man travels in a car and it occupies space in which more than four two wheelers can go. trafic jams are due to four wheelers not bikes. bec bike.scooters can be easily managed to overcome jam. if two bikes come just opposite each other even then one can go back a little ot turn little to allow the other. but it is not case with cars/jeeps/buses/ most jams are bec cars/buses violate lane and come in opposite. others will follow him. then they can neither go back or fornt and jam.
The main problem is not due to four wheelers, but due to increase in the numbers .. hope you meant the same. My fullest support to car pooling, Infact companies should encourage but not as a compulsion since transport is for one's convenience, consider a family of husband and wife for arguments sake who work on difrrent times and diffrent locations then one would have various other engagements to take care of. Which substantiates one guy using a car.

Hope you are with me I am trying to bring perspective to yout thoughts. No Offence meant

[/quote]

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 18th October 2006 at 13:49.
Old 18th October 2006, 13:48   #30
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
If the auto guy had played tis trick of last minute lane change, obviously a bus weighing 18 ton would not have an option to plough into this market even with the best breaks. or ram the auto itself.
It is easy to be wise after the event, but obviously the issue is why the bus driver chose to swerve. Not much chance of getting away with that in a monster like the Volvo on a crowded road. He could have come down heavily on the brakes (which are outstanding in a Volvo) and at worst he would have rammed the auto with a reduced impact. Unless he had a brake failure or was overspeeding. Sadly, we may never know the answer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks