Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2016, 10:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moved to Gurgaon - Will it be my home for a few years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Now you're making me hungry. In return I will recommend this - though you have to go all the way to old delhi for all of it. Or you can try to replicate the recipes at home which is unfortunately not going to produce the same exact taste that will be attained by having someone who has made the same dish thousands of times make it for you.

https://www.amazon.in/KORMA-KHEER-KI.../dp/B00SMDT4NQ
Old 7th December 2016, 10:34   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I did squeeze water out of them last morning and hung them to dry in the balcony. The towel seems to have dried up well under the fan. So that means I shall have to leave the fan on tomorrow.

No, I don't like mutton.
Use the dryer mode in the washing machine to dry the clothes as much as possible before putting them out in the balcony.

We have a small ceiling fan in the balcony, and we switch it on to dry clothes in winters.
Old 9th December 2016, 05:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
Use the dryer mode in the washing machine to dry the clothes as much as possible before putting them out in the balcony.

We have a small ceiling fan in the balcony, and we switch it on to dry clothes in winters.
I don't have a washing machine and since I am living in a rented space, can't fit a fan in the balcony.

I left the fan running at a slow speed last day while I want office. That worked better, but still not a 100% solution.

Meanwhile I have another question to ask:

Is it better to stay on the ground floor or on the first floor? In terms of weather and also any other perspectives?
Old 9th December 2016, 10:26   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it better to stay on the ground floor or on the first floor? In terms of weather and also any other perspectives?
It will depend on the total number of floors you have in the building. If it's just Ground and First, then the ground will be better in summer as First will be lot hotter. If it's a multistoried then prefer higher. Privacy is always better on higher floor and so is noise, you have less number of people bothering you the higher you go
Quote:
I don't have a washing machine
Maybe find a local Washman who can wash and press your clothes. If that gets expensive, you will need to invest in more dresses as it can take more than 2 days for clothes to get dry completely specially undergarments and socks for next 2 months at least.
Old 9th December 2016, 10:34   #35
BANNED

Quote:
I don't have a washing machine and since I am living in a rented space, can't fit a fan in the balcony.

I left the fan running at a slow speed last day while I want office. That worked better, but still not a 100% solution.

Meanwhile I have another question to ask:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It will depend on the total number of floors you have in the building. If it's just Ground and First, then the ground will be better in summer as First will be lot hotter. If it's a multistoried then prefer higher. Privacy is always better on higher floor and so is noise, you have less number of people bothering you the higher you go
My son is on the 27th floor of a 30 storied complex. Earlier he was renting a flat on the 29th floor in a different tower in the same complex. In fact when he was flat hunting (same complex) the minimum spec was 20th floor. Only thing make sure the lifts work reliably, at all times.
Old 9th December 2016, 11:34   #36
BHPian

I think the clothes drying modus operandi should be the same as applied during the dombivli monsoons ?

Buying a dryer is good investment (winters/monsoons)

If looking for independent houses and first floor is the option ,please do avoid because summers will be a torture ( tandoor bhatti ,considering the terrace above)

Now please don't ask 'How should I cross the road in Gurgaon? " (humor & peace)

@ Eddy:- Great tip on the mutton place
Old 9th December 2016, 11:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If it is ground the one other thing you have to worry about is the amount of dust that comes in when the next loo wind brings a sandstorm out of the rajasthan desert. Higher floors are kind of immune to that to a larger extent but a ground floor apartment will be deep in grit and dirt.
Old 10th December 2016, 12:31   #38
Senior - BHPian

Got a maid to cleanup and wash clothes. Bought a clothesline that's hung across the room right now with clothes on it.

Bought a few more pairs of undergarments and a towel. So I guess I can wait out a couple of days now. Need to see if I can use the terrace to dry the clothes.

Will dust be a problem even if the house is locked up tight? I guess daily cleaning would be the only answer. Better dusty than tandoor!

Parking on the streets during rains, will the car survive?

PS: How to cross a road in Gurgaon? Find a zebra crossing, preferably near a traffic light. Watch the light. As it turns red, watch the vehicles from the other roads. By the time it's clear, the light will have turned green again. Wait for the light to turn green. Got it? Ok, that's going to take you nowhere. So just find a good large gap in traffic, wave your hand and cross.

By the way people do try not to kill you in the day time.

Last edited by honeybee : 10th December 2016 at 12:35.
Old 10th December 2016, 12:39   #39
BHPian

No rains for next five months in this part of world so no worries. But do make sure that you use gear lock when parking anywhere in this region as the area is theft prone.
Old 10th December 2016, 13:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
It's always best to be polite when in a new environment (heck, even in your home environment a bit of politeness wouldn't be amiss) - so far no problem.
At the risk of being repetitive, I would say this issue has more to it than may appear. Marathi language(at least in Pune) has a lot of 'tu','tum' used which as others have mentioned, gets misconstrued up North. So as a rule of thumb 'ap' et all should be used, and kept in mind for someone from the MH region. Of course north Indians might not even know what I'm talking about, but when I used 'aap' to my team lead in Pune, she was slightly offended and told me I'm not that old!

Good that you have moved in close enough to the office. Frankly there's not much to visit anyway. For this reason alone I consider Delhi a far better to live, the weekends can be much more fun than simply going to Malls. But I guess with Metro connectivity this too should be sorted by now.

Enjoy your stay and just be watchful like others said, but no need to be paranoid about people here. I have got so much help from strangers in some tough situations that I have a completely different impression than others about NCR. Exploring Delhi in terms of food and places to visit (specially in winters) can be a pretty good way to spend your weekends till your family moves in.
Old 10th December 2016, 21:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Guys, there are two Germans from Solapur lurking around!

One is a white Polo I think and the other is a silver Superb. Both MH 14.
Old 12th December 2016, 00:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

MH14 would be Talegaon/Poona/Hadapsar etc. certainly not Solapur. MH cars are aplenty in the NCR region as are GJ, TN, KA, KL, AP, UK, PB, CH, MP, OR, WB so on and so forth, get used to it.

Quote:
Guys, there are two Germans from Solapur lurking around!

One is a white Polo I think and the other is a silver Superb. Both MH 14.
Old 12th December 2016, 05:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it seems you are right.

One of them, the polo, belongs to a local gentleman, so there is only the Superb.

Yesterday in the DLF mall there was a white Punto with MH plates parked opposite mine.
Old 12th December 2016, 11:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After much thought and deliberation I finally took the plunge and moved to Gurgaon on a new job.
Been through the same situation and have been living in Gurgaon for the past 2 years in Sec.56, office at Cyber City.Your observations about Gurgaon are spot on.

Regarding drying of clothes, would be helpful if there is a spare room with a fan, the air being dusty can spoil wet clothes.

Lets catch up on some evenings or weekend!
Old 12th December 2016, 14:43   #45
BHPian

Welcome to the Millennium (Maruti) City. It would be a lot different from Mumbai. I have stayed in Mumbai from 2008 to 2010 and shifted to Gurgaon then. People are generally very nice in Mumbai, but people are very strange aroung here. But you will love the food and the winters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks