Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2016, 10:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Moved to Gurgaon - Will it be my home for a few years?

After much thought and deliberation I finally took the plunge and moved to Gurgaon on a new job.

Having spent all my life in Mumbai, it was a major decision for me as well as my family. While the exit formalities were underway at the old office, I have been frantically trying to scour all possible information on life in Gurgaon.

Finally in the last week of November I landed at Delhi (landed? not actually, but more on it later), and joined the new office with three days of November left.

So far I have been commuting between Delhi and Gurgaon and will soon move into a rented place near my office.

So how did it all come about?

Having spent more than five years in my last job, I was feeling a bit settled down, within my own comfort zone, and being in the technology field, that is a bad thing. One day out of the blue I got a call from this startup asking me if I was interested to join a startup. They were also thinking of setting up an office at Mumbai at some point in future, so while initial few months would be at Gurgaon, I could have the option of moving back to Mumbai later.

After the telephone/Skype interviews, they called me to Gurgaon to visit their office and I had a face to face round with their top executives - at the end of which I was given an offer I (almost) could not refuse - at least not outright.

After some thought and negotiations I finally accepted the offer. All this while I had been discussing the offer with my family and working out the pros and cons at a high level. After analysing the situation I decided it was worth going for, and so put in my papers at the old company.

Decisions, decisions!

I had two cars with me when this happened. As soon as I found I was positive towards the offer, I started looking for a prospective buyer for the Nano. Soon found one in my office and completed the sale process even before I had formally quit. The car had neared 70k, so I took it to the local Tata Motors service centre for a 70k service, asked them to take a look at the other stuff and after being satified the car did not need anything major, handed it over to the buyer.

Now the other car. Unlike the Nano which was bought new, the Accord was bought pre-owned and I have spent a considerable amount till date on the car - almost as much as I paid for it (but then I paid a small sum, so can't say the car has eaten up money). But one thing was sure: I couldn't sell the car and hope to recover my investments. I would always lose money this way. After all the car IS 13 years old. Going through various threads and discussions, I realized it would be nice to have a personal transport with me, and Delhi being famous for its pomp, what better than to flaunt a proper sedan! So I would retain the car.

Now that I would retain the car, it logically followed that it must be driven to Delhi. So the hunt started for a driving partner, and then my brother offered to fill up the place. So we both started preparing for the drive from Dombivli to Delhi.

In the meanwhile, on one of our outstation trips, we had found the brake pedal had acted funny (going all the way in and losing most braking power), but the problem had not surfaced later throughout the trip. I still decided to take the car to Mr. Sunil Shanbag for a checkup. They reported the front rotors were at the end of their life and had to be replaced along with the brake pads. The rear rotors would be skimmed for now. I also asked them to perform an oil change. Phut goes 30k!

Between my last date at the old office and the travel date for Delhi, we made another outstation visit to our native place and found the headlights were just not good for the job. They were stock, and had considerably faded. So after coming back, I dropped the car off to Mr. Shanbag's again, and rushed them into a headlight change. The evening before we were to set out for Delhi, the car was finally ready!

Started at 7:30am from Dombivli on Thursday, and halted at Udaipur for the night. The hotel had been booked through one of the online portals. Dinner was cold (partly due to the climate and partly due to the fact that the kitchen closed at 10:30pm and we reached 15 minutes late, having asked them to keep the dinner ready) - we hit the bed with plans to wake up at leisure and finish the second leg by the night.

Started at around 10:30 from Udaipur on Friday morning, and reached Delhi (a relative's place where we would stay) by around 10:30pm - the late start meant we hit the Gurgaon traffic, as we literally spent an hour travelling a km or so.

Driving through Gujrat, Rajasthan, Haryana and then Delhi - it's a blatant lie that truckers follow lane discipline in Gujrat and Rajasthan. I was under the impression that I would see a drastic change once we left MH borders and entered the state of Gujrat, with truckers sticking to the left or middle lanes, and yielding to an overtaking vehicle. I have seen this reported on many online groups, and I am happy to say it's a myth. They are equally ignorant of the lane discipline in all the states!

In fact in Gujrat and Rajasthan (out of ignorance maybe) and in Haryana and to a lesser extent in Delhi, we saw people flouting traffic rules at their discretion. Driving down the wrong side in the face of fast oncoming vehicles means nothing to them.

Delhi is a bit more disciplined, although it's a mixed bag. Keeping to your lane or signalling while changing lanes is unheard of, at the same time people driving while talking on the mobile (or talking on the mobile while driving) is much much less than in Mumbai (of course this is again highly subjective based on my observations alone). Also in Delhi people do honk when they get impatient, but no headlight flashes, no angry gestures or fights.

In the beginning I was quite nervous how I would manage in the frantically paced traffic here, but after four days of daily drive, I think I am doing ok. No brushes with another vehicle yet - so I guess I am doing good!

Had a puncture the other day and got it removed for just 50 bucks. 50 BUCKS! That's one third of what we pay back in Mumbai (at Dombivli I still pay 100, but that too is twice!).

So far I have driven past police checkposts on the Delhi Gurgaon highway, and seen many bikers and other cars stopped, but I haven't been flagged down anytime. I also found two other MH registered vehicles, a Skoda or something parked at the airport behind which I had parked my car when I dropped my brother off at the airport, and a Tata Safari Storme MH 01 xxxx driven by a Sikh guy. Haven't really seen many other non-northern vehicles. Most are PB, HR or DL registered.

I started looking for a rental option right after arriving here, and I shall be moving into the place coming Monday. It's about 10-15 minutes walk from office, and driving to office would also be easier if I chose to. There is a Vyapar Kendra nearby, which is a clutch of small shops - lots of eating options, photo studio, computer accessories and whatnot all under one roof.

So far I have been staying with a relative in Delhi and parking has been taken care of, but once I move into the rental place, the Accord will be back on the street - or if I am lucky I can find a vacant plot nearby on which she can rest.

For the first few months, till I get completely familiar with the work culture and the work, I have decided to stay alone, and leave my family back. After a few months once I am certain I shall be spending a few years here, I shall be bringing them over and will probably go for a 1 BHK or even think of buying one.

Food options are plenty. First day in office, I had a meal at a nearby restaurant at Rs. 90. Cheap even by Mumbai standards. Our office provides lunch for a whole month on payment of a thousand bucks, so that works out to around 35 bucks per day - and if you stay beyond 9pm in office, there's free dinner as well (not to mention free snacks after 7pm), so at a pinch, I can manage with just 1k per month on food! Except on the week-ends.

Food generally will be great, as it will be authentic Punjabi food. Also you have thellas (taparis?) scattered around which serve parathas, chhole, kulchas and rice. So I am sure you can have your fill at around 50 bucks. There are huge shopping malls and fancy restaurants if you want to spend extra.

The malls here are really cooler than the ones in Mumbai. One has to visit them to appreciate the difference.

Roads are huge/wide, and at least the main highways are smooth and without potholes. As far as Gurgaon is concerned, the moment you are off the main roads, you land on the moon (I mean the craters!). In Delhi the situation is much better.

So there you have it! An interesting adventure within another adventure called life. Let's see how it pans out.

Do get in touch for any queries, and do let me know if you are around, I would definitely need help on car matters. I have already got a reference of Heera Motors from the T BHP directory but would always appreciate any other references.
Old 3rd December 2016, 10:45   #2
BHPian

re: Moved to Gurgaon - Will it be my home for a few years?

Welcome to Gurgaon

I have spent a decade here since landing my first job
Delhi is good but its better stay in Gurgaon if you work here.

Rest be assured you will have everything you need available right here.

Gurgaon is still developing and is not a big city which means the commute time is reduced a lot. You can reach to any place in Gurgaon within 30 minutes in a normal traffic.

the NH8 divides the Gurgaon in two regions old Gurgaon and new Gurgaon.
Old Gurgaon is your typical small town like neighborhood with dense traffic, old style homes and markets.

The new Gurgaon boasts of Malls, Apartments and Swanky offices. Its home to many startups and it shows in the culture. Any new technology gets adopted very fast.

Hope you will have a nice stay here
Old 3rd December 2016, 10:57   #3
BANNED

@honeybee; My son and daughter-in-law are Gurugram'ites. They are both doctors, he is a consultant in Neurosurgery and she is completing her DNB in Clinical Oncology. Both are with the big four.They have their own flat in Sector 54. I had the pleasure to welcome Phamilyman in the old flat (rented) about a year ago.
Old 3rd December 2016, 11:55   #4
BHPian

One gets to many out of state registered cars in Delhi & NCR. I don't think it is an issue here. There are a plethora of good, healthy and reasonable food delivery options like freshmenu.com, frsh.in, Twigly, innerchef etc etc. Where is your office/ where is your place of stay going to be? Do drop me a pm in case of any assistance or queries. I have been staying in Gurgaon for almost 13 years, and have been working here for the last 2 years. Agree with everything that born_free has said about Gurgaon.

Welcome to Gurgaon!

Promit

Last edited by promit : 3rd December 2016 at 11:57.
Old 3rd December 2016, 12:48   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

You won't have any problem with a MH registered car in the NCR. Since it is nearing the 15 year mark, I am not sure if it will be wise or even possible to get it registered in NCR now. Sell if off in Mumbai (sometime in the future), if you plan to continue here eventually.

Actually, you can go about without a car here quite easily - Thanks to all the Ola/Ubers around. Parking is a perennial problem in Gurgaon in the malls, local markets, colonies etc. Have you taken up accommodation in Palam Vihar?

All the best for the new job and transition to a new city, hope it works out well for you!
Old 3rd December 2016, 13:36   #6
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to Gurgaon

Managing car parking for one car in a rented apartment complex should not be difficult at all. What will be difficult is managing to find a 1BHK. You'll have to look for 2 BHKs.

Wherever you take up a place, please ensure that you have 100% power back up. Coming from Mumbai, you may not realise this but in Gurgaon power back is up probably more important than anything else while finalising an apartment.
Old 3rd December 2016, 19:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

My office is in Sushant Lok 1 and the rented place is in Block C, across the street 'in a manner of speaking'.

Food is not a problem at all, it was the accommodation and commute, and hopefully from Monday both problems should be solved.

Had a food trip in Lajpat Nagar today and tasted around 7 to 8 varieties of street food! It surely rocks.

For 1 bhk I guess there are duplex like structures, 1 + 1 which are 1 bhk.

Last edited by honeybee : 3rd December 2016 at 19:12.
Old 3rd December 2016, 21:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Gurgaon/Delhi-NCR.

Life in this part of the country is bit different from what we have in Mumbai. The overall culture is different and that's the beauty of these areas.

I am sure you will like the NCR region. Once you get settled, start exploring nearby areas, malls and usual places to visit in NCR.

Also if you are planning to permanently settling down here, try to go for 2-3 BHK apartment. With demonetisation and other stuff going around, I believe the rates have already crashed a bit and they will plunge even further. Gurgaon also offers good options if you want to have independent houses, lots of plots for sale around various sectors of Gurgaon.

I hope you came prepared for Delhi winters as well!
Old 4th December 2016, 00:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I hope you came prepared for Delhi winters as well!
Yep, got my thermals out today as we went to Chhatarpur to attend a wedding. And bought a quilt and have a monkey cap too. So I guess I can survive the winter.

About buying a 2 bhk, the biggest issue would be the price. Will see if banks will finance more at cheaper rates. But that's a few months off from now.
Old 4th December 2016, 11:24   #10
BANNED

@honeybee; I think in terms of food Gurugram is fantastic. You name it you have it. Most chaps also home deliver. Only parking in Malls can be a bit of a pain.
Old 4th December 2016, 12:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Buy an oil filled radiator (at least 9 fins & avoid brand USHA) and you will be good to go for the winters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Yep, got my thermals out today as we went to Chhatarpur to attend a wedding. And bought a quilt and have a monkey cap too. So I guess I can survive the winter.

About buying a 2 bhk, the biggest issue would be the price. Will see if banks will finance more at cheaper rates. But that's a few months off from now.
Old 4th December 2016, 15:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Buy an oil filled radiator (at least 9 fins & avoid brand USHA) and you will be good to go for the winters.
Out of curiosity I checked a bit on the oil filled radiators. They will be costly to run, as a Morphy Richards model is 2400 watts. Not now as long as I am alone, but will keep this in mind for when the family moves in.
Old 5th December 2016, 10:12   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Out of curiosity I checked a bit on the oil filled radiators. They will be costly to run, as a Morphy Richards model is 2400 watts. Not now as long as I am alone, but will keep this in mind for when the family moves in.
Not really. I have an oil filled radiator of 2100 watts. (Old Lloyds of 1999 vintage). I seldom run it continuously at even 1400W. You need the juice for heating it up. Once done, then for holding setting one or at most two heaters are needed. Kanpur is about as cold at Gurugram, and my bedroom is 12'x15'. Insulation here is much worse, than in a modern flat.

Remember these devices give gentle warmth and do not throw the heat in your face. It is best to give them time to warm up the place. They are space heaters, and not radiant heaters. Normally once the room becomes cozy, the thermostat can be reduced significantly. At night it is mostly at 700W.
Old 5th December 2016, 10:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome. I would wait and see how the startup progresses before buying any big ticket item.

Without knowing much I am just saying wait and see if company has good business model with worthy leadership. Be very cautious to see if company is over-staffing without business matching the growth and if funding is being spent on non required items.
Old 5th December 2016, 11:03   #15
BHPian

Welcome to Gurgaon. I have been living here for 5 years now, have lived in Noida & delhi for about 2 years each. Few things to observe/watch out in gurgaon:

1. might be having the highest ratio of cars to other vehicles in gurgaon. It is almost all cars. While it is relatively easier to commute in car (with relatively less chances of bikers hitting your car or getting hit), the traffic jams are usually insanely time consuming.

2. Almost everything is home delivered. If you wish you may not need to venture out of your house for months in a row.

3. Gurgaon is much pricey as compared to Delhi & Noida. Local sector markets are even pricier.

4. NCR overall is the most friendly place for out of state registered cars. And I have not seen any bias against other state cars.

5. Biggest difference you might observe coming from Mumbai will be the culture, or the lack of it. Mumbai has a very distinct cosmopolitan culture. People are aware of the hardships of everyday life, respect each others' needs, and help with others' struggles wherever possible. NCR has no culture to speak of, primarily because the way the region has developed over the decades. Culture is definitely a work in progress - chaotic, I don't care, loud and show-off, more geared towards own's survival. But it is definitely much better in gurgaon than in Delhi, atleast comparatively. Prepared to be surprised by the authentic haryanvi tone, if you are not well aware of it. Eventually you will start loving it.

6. Be extremely careful while venturing out after 11 PM in gurgaon. It doesn't give you the impression, but can be quite dangerous. And do not, I repeat - DO NOT get into a scuffle with anyone after the dark sets in.

7. All said and done, gurgaon is one of the best places in India for partying, whether high end pubs and discs or (the speciality here) the "machaans" - with hip and happening crowd and live music too in many places!

8. The weather. You will face all extremes. Chilly winters with dense fog, roasting hot summers with extremely hot winds and especially - downpours of a few hours in rainy season which will test your surviving skills. Mark my words, even coming from mumbai, you would be surprised (perhaps even taken aback) by the speed with which whole of gurgaon can get completely submerged.

Hope you will enjoy your stay here.

Last edited by navin : 5th December 2016 at 11:50. Reason: Violation of rule # 11 - as discussed with Eddy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks