Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2016, 15:15   #46
BHPian

Re: Moved to Gurgaon - Will it be my home for a few years?

As a note: do not leave expensive articles visible in your car when parking it - anywhere. Read: laptop + case. There have been many cases of windows being bashed in broad daylight (even at crowded areas), for the items to be stolen, leaving you a broken car window. Otherwise people are nice here, and you will find a cosmopolitan culture. You will see the occasional native in his big Pajero tearing up the roads with loud music.

Also the local's speak a weird Hindi dialect, which is actually not rude, but sounds so. Times are a changing for GGN. Been working here since 2001, and have seen it evolve, some for the better, some for the worse. The NH8 flyover array divides GGN into old/new parts. Central GGN has the traditional New Delhi style setup, and the sectors beyond 56 (and GCX) are where the high rise condos start. Life is slightly different in the South of GGN, with most public services being ~1-2 kms from the door step. The closest petrol pump to my house is 2.5 kms! Life is good, not an uber crowded town like Delhi/Mumbai, and wide spaces a plenty. Enjoy while you can. Learn to cherish the parking at Cyber City: that is if you get it.
Old 12th December 2016, 23:03   #47
Senior - BHPian

I would be glad if I found parking where I am staying! The couple of empty plots nearby are being developed and suddenly all the cars which were earlier parked there are on the road!

With the interior roads being as narrow as they are, it's getting tough finding a parking spot near my house.
Old 13th December 2016, 16:37   #48
BHPian

Couldn't help adding my two cents to this thread.

I lived in Delhi in 2007 and Gurgaon 2008-10. Currently I live in Powai, Mumbai and have been here for almost 5 years (since 2012).

I was absolutely shocked to hear you find the traffic discipline better in the NCR. In my opinion its one of the worst in India. People are aggressive, rude and have no regard for the law. Almost everyone driving a car larger than a small sedan thinks they own the road.

The original farmers / land owners of Gurgaon are absolutely the worst behaved who suddenly became rich after selling their land to developers. I remember one such incident many years ago when a 20 year old guy dragged my cab driver out of the car by his collar because he had cut in front of him.

I visit the NCR often and am always reminded how lucky I was to leave the place. The Uber/Ola drivers in NCR are often rude and use abusive language. On my last visit a few weeks back an Uber driver conned me out of Rs.100 in cash for some "airport entry fees" (I later got it back after complaining to Uber).

I could go on and on about why I dislike the NCR....

Only plus points are the wide roads and cheaper used cars.
Old 13th December 2016, 20:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... and here I am complaining to Meru about a fraudulent driver who charged me for a trip which never took place

I guess things change over time. Fortunately haven't experienced anything untoward and hope the experience continues that way.

But please note my driving has been limited to the Delhi Gurgaon highway (Gurgaon - Mehrouli - Badarpur patch) only, apart from a couple of visits to the malls. So I have probably not experienced the driving in full fledge.

Big Pajero? I saw a Ford Endeavour last night (probably the new avatar) that could dwarf a Toyota Fortuner. It had no badging on the rear, except the Ford oval, and it was only after three or four attempts that I could read "Endeavour" on the chrome plate above the number plate on the rear. It's probably the biggest SUV on the road today methinks.
Old 18th December 2016, 11:16   #50
BHPian

Ex-Dombivlikar , here as well! All the best with your move to Gurugram (wink, wink)
I don't know why but knowing that you are from Dombivli made me light up!
Old 18th December 2016, 12:17   #51
BHPian

Welcome to Gurgaon

I too relocated from Mumbai to GGN a year back . Things are different here as compared to Mumbai for sure . This place has its own charm. But having spent over 3 decades in mumbai, I find Mumbai to be better compared to GGN. I stay at sector 49 - Rosewood city. And main thing to center down on this was the 100% power backup and the proximity to malls, banks etc.

Let's all catch up over any weekend convenient for all guys

Cheers
Old 18th December 2016, 17:49   #52
Senior - BHPian

Next weekend I shall be going back home for the weekend. Can we meet up on the 30th Dec, unless someone has year end plans?

Or the first weekend of Jan 17?

Sagar, are you too from Dombivli?

Last edited by honeybee : 18th December 2016 at 17:50.
Old 18th December 2016, 18:46   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Next weekend I shall be going back home for the weekend. Can we meet up on the 30th Dec, unless someone has year end plans?

Or the first weekend of Jan 17?

Sagar, are you too from Dombivli?

We could start a new thread on the meet section and start a poll with convenient dates
Old 19th December 2016, 15:15   #54
BHPian

Welcome Honeybee to Gurugram and its peculiarities. I am in a unique position with exposure to both cultures.
1) I am a native of Haryana. Quintessential small town guy from Jatlands of northern districts. I come from the rude villager (as someone described people from villages of Haryana) background and speak the the infamous dialect.
2) I have stayed in Pune for years - reasonably good exposure to Gavran Chicken and Matki. (absolutely love maharashtrian food and people).
3) As well, a run of the mill techie just going about life in Gurgaon.

As far as Gurgaon law and order is concerned, there are criminal gangs based from different villages (just look at last names of some famous gangsters) in surroundings which are mostly responsible for crimes. Gangwars also happen with reasonable frequency.

The dialect in Gurgaon is more like Rajasthani with a bit of Haryanavi.

This is what I would advise to a newcomer:
  1. During the late nights, please be careful about parked trucks on the expressway without any reflectors or hazard signs. So often, you would read about some vehicle rear ending a parked/malfunctioning truck with many fatalities.
  2. Don't stop for taking calls, cigarettes, pee break etc on empty roads. Thieves find this as easy to target.
  3. Don't take/offer lift to anyone at any time.
  4. While venturing out late night (especially with family), stick to really good places like Galleria or something. I still remember an incident of 2014 when I had gone for dinner with my wife at Sham sweets at Vyapar Kendra at 9:30 PM and had an unpleasant experience. Coming directly from Pune, it came as a rude awakening.
  5. In pune, I used to find a good mix of crowd for late night movies. Here, it's a hit or miss and I prefer 6-7 PM showtimes. I also never park outside shopping malls or markets during nights. People leave their cars with/without drivers to save 50 bucks and quite a times, someone will steal the car at gunpoint. I would rather pay parking at mall and be safe.
  6. MH number vehicle will never be a problem except when you get caught with some offence. I had MH number in the beginning (got from Pune). Police has the impression that oursiders are more yielding (anecdotal experience). In my case, they were disappointed as I turned out to be a localite and they had to manage with challans only. Still, I emphasize, no one asks for your entry day or LTT anywhere in the whole north.
  7. Read a local newspaper (preferably Hindi) local city supplement to understand the local scene.
  8. Last but not the least, there is a place for authentic Maharashtrian Food in Ambience Mall food court run by a Mumbaikar woman. Worth a go for Misal or Vada Paav incase you miss it sometime.

I have one addition for a weekend getaway. Alwar/Sariska is just 3 hours away from Gurgaon - with Accord friendly roads as well as clear coasts all the way. Some good resorts and sight seeing opportunities.
Old 21st December 2016, 13:52   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
Welcome Honeybee to Gurugram and its peculiarities. I am in a unique position with exposure to both cultures.
...[*] Last but not the least, there is a place for authentic Maharashtrian Food in Ambience Mall food court run by a Mumbaikar woman. Worth a go for Misal or Vada Paav incase you miss it sometime. [/list].

I have one addition for a weekend getaway. Alwar/Sariska is just 3 hours away from Gurgaon - with Accord friendly roads as well as clear coasts all the way. Some good resorts and sight seeing opportunities.
Gosh, thanks a lot for the tips, especially the Misal and the weekend getaway.

Right now the car is parked outside the building where I stay and the area seems to be pretty secure. There are a couple or more watchmen on duty throughout (I hope they aren't dozing off in the chill of the night, but the cabins are outside bunglows and lit. One is right opposite our building so I think someone trying to pull a fast one will not try his hand here.

Office is a few minutes away by walk, and probably the same time by car (parking the Accord is a major pain!), and so far my outings have been to malls and to Delhi to my relative's place. Won't be risking going to dhabas and such - also no night outings.

I also prefer to park in the mall by paying, instead of parking outside on the roads - though I would never want to encounter a gun toting thief.

I shall pay a visit to the Ambience Mall and taste the Misal and Vada Paav. I tried the Goli Vada Paav at Vyapar Kendra, but sadly they have Aloo Tikki and not Vada.

By the way, I have already started a thread on a possible meet (first weekend of Jan 17 or any other week-end except around 26th Jan).
Old 1st January 2017, 12:55   #56
BHPian

Car robbed at gun point at Badha
Quote:
In his complaint to police, Yadav claimed that he had stopped his silver colour Etios on the way near Badha Chowk to relieve himself. Meanwhile, a car came from behind and four men got off the four-wheeler. Suddenly, one of them allegedly took out a gun, pointed at Yadav and snatched his car keys.
This incident just epitomizes whatever I have been trying to say.

This is just a stone's throw away from the township where I live and road is generally considered safe. From Farrukhnagar till here, there is not much of traffic anyway. There are other premium townships in the vicinity and people usually come and go at any time.

The only mistake this guy did was to stop the car at a desolate place, thus making the job of the thieves much easier.

Gurgaon is a little different from other notorious NCR towns (falling in UP) where carjacking at late nights is commonplace. In Gurgaon, if you don't stop anywhere, there is little chance of getting in trouble.
Old 25th January 2018, 17:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Closing remarks:

I moved back to Mumbai in September 2017 - with fond memories of Gurgaon and the Team BHPians in Gurgaon and Delhi - It's perhaps the only WhatsApp group where I participate daily.

I couldn't taste the misal and vada pav at the Ambience Mall, but there's an outlet on the first floor of Galleria in Gurgaon which serves an almost authentic vada. Those in Noida can visit the Haldiram outlet to taste the Mumbai vada.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks