Team-BHP - A Guide: Eating out in Pune
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   A Guide: Eating out in Pune (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/18569-guide-eating-out-pune-16.html)

Veranda on Baner Road has good ambience and excellent food. There is a open space as well as a lounge area where our team had a party. Tawa Fish was to die for!! Good service, very accommodative owner. Buffet for party, came to 550 per head.

Nice thread- I had no idea it existed!

Magnolia on Baner Road has some good Thai stuff. Probably the best place near where I live for tom yum soup, pad thai and chicken with red chili and basil. They also serve standard Chinese stuff. This place used to be in Aundh (near Medipoint) earlier. The new place is infinitely better, IMHO. A beautiful alpine white 320i is permanently parked outside it: my daughter loves the sunroof and reminds me that our next car needs to have one (!)

Dada's Biryani on Sus Road is a local legend. His quality control ain't the best though, but 9 times out of 10 that we order from him, it's awesome.

I never eat vegetarian food when we go out, but happily make an exception for Panchvati Gaurav on Bhandarkar Road. The unlimited thali (served by an attentive staff) is a very good blend of North Indian, Gujarathi and occasionally Marathi cuisines. Around 200/- a pop so it's VFM as well (compared to the atrocious buffet rates at the 5* places)

For sizzlers, I like Zamu's on DP Road- the custom sizzlers are our favourite. Much better laternative than the overpriced Kobe's and Yoko's.

Highly recommend:
Chung Fa, East Street. Amazing chicken spring rolls :)
Blue Nile, back to form!

Stay away from:
Great Punjab, KP. Poor service and average food

Missed this Great Thread !

Can you please suggest a quality MUGHALI restaurant in Pune where one can get the usual chicken kababs, tikkas, mutton pasinda/chap, rezala's followed by phirni.

I do drive sometimes to Aurangabad to have lunch and then come back. So even if it's not within Pune and few KMs outside city it's ok with me provided the food is good.

Sunny/Tony dhaba, Blue Nile, Dorabji, Karim's, Punjabi Rasoi, Cocoon, R.Orchid, Corinthians, Westwin etc all tried, they are good but nothing extraordinary.

Two places where I have had mutton prepared the way I like it are on East street and the Westin hotel.

1. East street : I do not recall the name of this joint but it is right at the beginning of East Street and has a huge juice/milk shake shop diagonally across the road. The kebabs and tikkas were to my taste, melt in your mouth kind. The biryani though was too hot.

Mind you it is not even a proper restaurant. These guys are operating out of the side corridor+verandah of an old building.

2. Westin hotel : Seasonal tastes : basically an all day eatery, their menu is an eclectic mix of dishes from their other in house restaurants which are open mostly for dinner. They have the best Mutton Rogan Josh with nan ever, Period. This should be available in Kangan too albeit for dinner.

Since you do not mind driving. Come to Bombay and try out a place called 'Kakori Kebab'. This is in Mahim Causeway opposite Paradise Cinema (now called Paradise E square) and also in Andheri West on the same road that has the SAB tv office and the Lotus petrol pump. I find the food better at the Mahim location. Small, simple, airconditioned place. Their Mutton burra, Shammi kebab, Mutton tikkas are highly recommended. Avoid the Kakori kebab though, too salty all of the time.

Coming out of Kakori on the Mahim causeway, walk to the left (towards Bandra) and a dozen odd shops down is a sweetmeat shop. You will get great Phirni and Milk Cake which (though I hate to admit it) is far better than anything I have ever been able to get in Delhi, Rohtak or even Alwar and these three places are considered the home of Milk Cake.

Would you mind sharing details regarding the restaurant in Aurangabad which is good enough to have you drive all the way. I have never been able to find good food in Aurangabad except for the occasional savory vendor in Connaught market/place/circle. My last visit was nearly 5 odd years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvonA7 (Post 2649895)
Missed this Great Thread !

Can you please suggest a quality MUGHALI restaurant in Pune where one can get the usual chicken kababs, tikkas, mutton pasinda/chap, rezala's followed by phirni.

I do drive sometimes to Aurangabad to have lunch and then come back. So even if it's not within Pune and few KMs outside city it's ok with me provided the food is good.

Sunny/Tony dhaba, Blue Nile, Dorabji, Karim's, Punjabi Rasoi, Cocoon, R.Orchid, Corinthians, Westwin etc all tried, they are good but nothing extraordinary.

There used to be a side street near the Sadhu Vaswani circle / ITO office area called Chowpatty. Essentially it was a row of shacks equipped with grills & tandoors and the whole place was a meat eaters paradise. Guess this place has now disappeared unless someone has news to the contrary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvonA7 (Post 2649895)

Try Tareef in Aundh. This is located just before Bonsai, if you're going towards Parihar Chowk.

Cheers,
Vikram

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 2645951)
Highly recommend:
Blue Nile, back to form!

Stay away from:

I ate at Blue Nile sometime back, & honestly, the quality of food has deteriorated bigtime from what we used to get there in the earlier days.
So when you say "back in form", am assuming they are back to the good ol' days tastes!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoj (Post 2649975)
Would you mind sharing details regarding the restaurant in Aurangabad which is good enough to have you drive all the way. I have never been able to find good food in Aurangabad except for the occasional savory vendor in Connaught market/place/circle. My last visit was nearly 5 odd years ago.

Thanks @khoj for the information on Bombay restaurants.

Let me put it this way - opportunity of a long drive in a good highway is the primary reason for driving to A`bad, of course next comes the food :)

Next time in A`bad you may try Balle-Balle. Good ambiance, courteous staff, reasonably priced, tasty food and one of the better restaurants in A`bad. This restaurant is on the ground floor of Hotel Manor, parking available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb (Post 2650141)
Try Tareef in Aundh. This is located just before Bonsai, if you're going towards Parihar Chowk.

Cheers,
Vikram

Thanks Vikram, shall give it a try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive
Highly recommend:
Blue Nile, back to form!

Stay away from:

Great Punjab in kp has some nice chicken curry SD. At great Punjab, you need to know what to order or else the experience is not that great. For veg, crispy bhindi and Black dal are fabulous and as I said try the hot steaming chicken curry and you can never go wrong.

Another good place for Biryani is dorabjees. One of the better biryanis available in pune. Also on Sunday's you can get patrani macchi and dhansak which is mind blowing

A1 biryani in Hinjewadi is also really good. Its a small shop and they serve only Hyderabadi ones I suppose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _raVan_ (Post 2655562)
A1 biryani in Hinjewadi is also really good. Its a small shop and they serve only Hyderabadi ones I suppose.

Where is that ? Is it better than Hyderabad House ? (next to Mezza9).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajo (Post 2655729)
Where is that ? Is it better than Hyderabad House ? (next to Mezza9).

I havent tried the Hyderabad house. A1 is towards the chowki (on the left when coming from Mezza9 towards it). Its a very small hotel (hardly having 3 to 4 tables) and can be easily missed, but their biryani is just yummy!

Has anyone tried out 33 Grand near MG Road? They have a buffet with starters being the main theme in their advertisements.

Have an anniversary coming up, next month, can anyone advise if its worth it?

Otherwise, Barbecue Nation would be the second choice.

PS: They now have a branch at Deccan also.

Burger Barn Cafe, Koregaon Park

Location : Extreme End of Lane 5, restaurant right on the junction corner.

Recommendation : Burgers, veg & non-veg. Yummy breakfast options on weekends, although they open a bit late.

Pricing : Decent. Costly if you compare to the nearby Burger King, but normal if you compare to other restaurants nearby. (FYI - Veg burgers cost us around 80 bucks a piece) Even on a stingy mood, I'd still go for these (burgers) than Burger King. They are really that good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb_jg (Post 2650336)
So when you say "back in form", am assuming they are back to the good ol' days tastes!!

Yes you are correct. Not totally there yet, but worth the trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subodh (Post 2653689)
Great Punjab in kp has some nice chicken curry SD. At great Punjab, you need to know what to order or else the experience is not that great.
Another good place for Biryani is dorabjees. One of the better biryanis available in pune. Also on Sunday's you can get patrani macchi and dhansak which is mind blowing

subodh, you cannot be more correct about Great Punjab. Unfortunately, we didnt have a good experience there in terms of service either. Thumbs down for my individual experience.
Dorabjee's is the best in my opinion.
Also good is Hotel/ Cafe Diamond next to the Mahindra showroom at the East street beginning. I only had the Haleem and liked it a lot. Only Mondays and Fridays I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatalli (Post 2663167)
Burger Barn Cafe, Koregaon Park
Location : Extreme End of Lane 5, restaurant right on the junction corner.

Recommendation : Burgers, veg & non-veg. Yummy breakfast options on weekends, although they open a bit late.

A pic of the burger I had here, medium size.
I think they have a bigger burger than this