Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2006, 17:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Police raids on Chennai bars / pubs & locking up customers

The past few days have seen the police raiding quite a few popular nightspots in the city for various reasons like serving liquor past the closing time, serving liquor in restaurants that do not have a liquor permit and for having a disco dance by women, whatever that means.

While I agree that they are right in clamping down on illegal activities, one of the incidents that happened a day or two ago looked pretty odd. They raided Sparks (Hotel Savera) and Speed (Grand Orient hotel) for serving liquor beyond closing time (is that 11PM?) and then proceeded to round up the customers (mostly s/w guys, BPO girls etc) and put them in lockup for the night. They were released only the next day and in the case of the girls, their parents were asked to come over to the police station.

If an establishment operates after closing hours, is it the fault of the patrons ? How can they be blamed for this ? And to arrest them and put them in lockup for the night is atrocious, to say the least. Were the police right in doing this ?
Old 7th November 2006, 17:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Very right in doing so. This whole drinking business in public, that too boys and girls together, is against our Indian culture. Such people should not be spared the harshest punishment possible. What do they think of themselves? This is not the age to be doing such things. Concentrate on your studies and work, and religion. All possible resources must be diverted from less important activities, like catching murderers and thieves, to shutting such places of ill-repute.
Old 7th November 2006, 17:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Very right in doing so. ..................................e catching murderers and thieves, to shutting such places of ill-repute.

v!p3r ! is that you ? Your move into town did this to you!
Old 7th November 2006, 18:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Very right in doing so. This whole drinking business in public, that too boys and girls together, is against our Indian culture. ......................All possible resources must be diverted from less important activities, like catching murderers and thieves, to shutting such places of ill-repute.
Well said. I totally agree with you. Traffic police stopping non-existent traffic in the middle of the afternoon in residential areas is also more important than they doing more useful work like stopping speeders, rash drivers and tackling places where the traffic police is truly horrible.

For a second, when I read your post, I was stunned ...... But really well said.
Old 7th November 2006, 19:05   #5
BHPian

Legal (vs) social

Quote:
Very right in doing so. This whole drinking business in public, that too boys and girls together, is against our Indian culture. Such people should not be spared the harshest punishment possible. What do they think of themselves? This is not the age to be doing such things. Concentrate on your studies and work, and religion. All possible resources must be diverted from less important activities, like catching murderers and thieves, to shutting such places of ill-repute.
Socially it may be unacceptable, but whats the legally correct.

Guyz, crossing 7 Seas is a sin in hinduism (thats what has been referred to as Indian culture). How many are unwilling to do that ? There are many more like drinking itself, ....

IMHO, this is where we always mess up, mixing social/ cultural with legal stuff.
Old 7th November 2006, 21:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Any idea what the timings are of pubs/discs in B'lore? I heard that the shutters are down at 11.30pm. Bangalorians...your 2 cents plz..
Old 7th November 2006, 21:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yeah I remember this being done in Le-meridian some couple of years back. I think Chennai police is not doing this for the first time!
Old 7th November 2006, 22:51   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very right in doing so. This whole drinking business in public, that too boys and girls together, is against our Indian culture. Such people should not be spared the harshest punishment possible. What do they think of themselves? This is not the age to be doing such things. Concentrate on your studies and work, and religion.
Dude, whats wrong with drinking in public and with women? Who has defined this to be against Indian culture? I have done "all" of this and continue to do so. Yet have performed pretty well in my education and career.

EDIT : Oops I just read the rest of your post. Words taken back

Quote:
All possible resources must be diverted from less important activities, like catching murderers and thieves, to shutting such places of ill-repute.

Last edited by GTO : 7th November 2006 at 22:57.
Old 7th November 2006, 23:11   #9
BHPian

OT, but Akshay... do you HAVE to cause chaos everywhere you go?! :P

I crib about Hyderabad's nightlife, but after reading this, I'm glad to be where I am!

Has anyone noticed about how all the silly stuff you read nowadays is centered around Chennai? What gives?!

Godspeed,

Alok
Old 7th November 2006, 23:16   #10
BHPian

same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Dude, whats wrong with drinking in public and with women? Who has defined this to be against Indian culture? I have done "all" of this and continue to do so. Yet have performed pretty well in my education and career.

EDIT : Oops I just read the rest of your post. Words taken back
same here too .. sorry about that. Are they acting as culture police ?
Old 7th November 2006, 23:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

It was happening in Bangalore for a while, now it is Chennai's turn. Next thing we will have police vice squads going around enforcing dress code like the Saudi or Taliban cops.
Old 8th November 2006, 01:03   #12
Team-BHP Support

In Hyderabad also they shut down the pubs by 11.30pm. But here there is a nice exception available. Do not visit the standalone pubs... go to the ones attached to the star rated hotels within premises. They never raid these places. So while the B&Cs and the TDSs of the world shut down by 11.30 the outswinger is on till 1-1.30am.
Old 8th November 2006, 01:37   #13

Im going to be moving to Chennai from Delhi on the 12th.. got a job there.. These posts are breaking my heart, But putting "slightly tipsy"(ahem) guys and chicks in the cooler for a night is criminal.. and why? cuz the pub did not shut on time!!!!! psychotic!! hope these cops sort what ever they are trying to achieve before the 12th..

cheers and happy drinking..
Beer - The reason i get up every afternoon cheers:
Old 8th November 2006, 05:20   #14
fb1
BHPian

I heard about this ****, luckily I was at dublin on saturday instead of sparks / speed !!
Old 8th November 2006, 09:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

For the cops its a question of "Us vs Them"

They live in a different socio economic category and cannot see India's westernization favourably....esp when it involves women in bars close to midnight.

This is all about getting back at them by humiliating them.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks