Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2006, 20:12   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
From what I read, they prefer to be Indians and don't want to have anything to do with the Chinese.
trust me on this. have been to that place in the summers of 2003 & had shared the views with the locals there. they are much happy to b a part of us rather than them.
Old 1st February 2007, 01:07   #32
BHPian

Guys,
Having recently visited China, I must add my two bits.
Yeah, the Chinese have no right to lay claim on the areas mentioned above. But -----
1. China is too busy making money to seriously repeat the 60s style.
2. Yes, their track record on human rights stinks, but their administration is light years ahead of us.
3. The tibetians will get swamped in no time by the Chinese. But have any of you seen videos of the railway link they have built, its supposed to be an engineering marvel. The part of Tibet controlled by them is far better planned and maintained (less said about our shanty towns coming up in all hill stations).
4. After 50 years, what development is there in Arunachal.Lets face it, we brown skins do tend to look down on the guys from the north east.They certainly cannot be worse off with the Chinese, than what they are now. If I was an Arunachalese, I would like to join China.
Old 1st February 2007, 11:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki_Rau
Having recently visited China, I must add my two bits.
Yeah, the Chinese have no right to lay claim on the areas mentioned above.
1. China is too busy making money to seriously repeat the 60s style.
2. Yes, their track record on human rights stinks, but their administration is light years ahead of us.
OK, so you visited China and are pretty impressed with their pace of growth. Cool. Does that give them any right to encroach into another country ? I fail to understand the logic here, if at all there is one. It is sort of like condoning America's invasion of Iraq just because the US is a developed country.

Quote:
Lets face it, we brown skins do tend to look down on the guys from the north east. They certainly cannot be worse off with the Chinese, than what they are now.
I am not sure how you look at the Indians from the NE, but generalising your outlook to all of India is not a right thing to do. Having spent 7 years in the NE and having had the pleasure of visiting most of the states in the NE, I do not share your outlook either about the place or the people.

Quote:
If I was an Arunachalese, I would like to join China.
There is no one stopping you even now. Go ahead. But before you talk for others, make sure you understand how they feel about it.
Old 1st February 2007, 11:38   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
There is no one stopping you even now. Go ahead. But before you talk for others, make sure you understand how they feel about it.
I Agree with you supremeBaleno, I have a privilege of staying in Arunachal in late 1980s, I did my 8th & 9th class there, and I can tell you that people don't feel good being a part of china. They feel more inclined to India and it culture. That was when there was Satellite TV, but now with so much of advancements of media and Communications, I can bet they feel more closer to India than china.
Old 1st February 2007, 11:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki_Rau View Post
3. The tibetians will get swamped in no time by the Chinese. But have any of you seen videos of the railway link they have built, its supposed to be an engineering marvel.
You know why the built that rail network, right? It wasn't for the upliftment of the Tibetians, but only so that China could have access to the massive deposits of raw materials in that region.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks