Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2022, 16:20   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: The plight of IT professionals in their 40s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Yes, IT industry is unique as most of the revenue/clients are still coming from abroad. Let me take the US as an example. A fresh software engineer in the US gets paid about $50k (INR 37 lakhs). Now paying 45-50 lakhs to someone in India with 20 years of experience doesn't sound that absurd does it? The point is not about salary at all, just the mindset of both the people and the companies/HR in India. I have colleagues in the US who are close to retirement and still happily work as software engineers and code. But, here everyone from your manager to the neighborhood aunty expects that your goal is to become a people manager and go up the ladder Things are changing, but slowly.
I have to disagree on this. In the US 50k $ per annum is on the minimum scale for salaries. That is appropriate for any new recruitment. If you compare with cost of living calculator, it translates roughly to 5/6 lakh Rs per annum, which is an Indian fresher salary, give or take a few lakhs.
Equivalent (in terms of cost of living) of a 40 lakh inr salary will be about 350000/400,000 usd salary, how many IT engineers draw the same in a bread and butter coding job?

That aside, what benefit does a humdrum coder or a run of a mill 'manager' bring to the table? Does his 20 year experience/40 lakh salary generate 2 CR of business? To get that 40 lakh/1 crore salary one needs to be either some kind of evangelist or a kick-ass business generator.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th January 2022 at 22:29. Reason: Typos
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 16:30   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
That aside, what benifit does a humdrum coder or a run of a mill 'manager' bring to the table? Does his 20 year experience/40 lakh salary generate 2 CR of business? To get that 40 lakh/1 crore salary one needs to be either sone kind of evangalist or a kick-ass business generator.
I am not sure whether this is the case everywhere. Considering the IT salaries in Tier1 cities especially in places like Bangalore, finding a 15 year experienced software developer/tech-lead/architect who is drawing 50-60 lakhs per annum isn't that difficult. Do all of them bring 2 crores or 5 crores worth of business? I think it is not that easy to map it like that.

Then there are cost centers of MNCs situated in India, where people leisurely draw similar figures while not directly being in the 'line of fire' of business - they don't have to worry about sales, pre-sales, finding the right market segments, or whatsoever.
clevermax is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 16:59   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not in IT so I cannot comment on the internal details of the industry but I would like to make a general statement: During the normal times, everything and everyone rolls on just fine. It is just when the adversities in business loom, the top management starts looking at cost vs benefit equations and that is when people whose cost do not justify the business/ profit are handed over the pink slips.
saket77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 17:13   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That aside, what benifit does a humdrum coder or a run of a mill 'manager' bring to the table?
Availability. Except IT Services, all other companies are facing a "severe" talent crunch. Its difficult to hire a reasonable developer in US for less than 120k USD. Comparatively, it is easier in Eastern Europe and India.

Managers are a different breed. They need to upskill themselves or they will get stuck at lower levels.

Quote:
That aside, what benifit does a humdrum coder or a run of a mill 'manager' bring to the table? Does his 20 year experience/40 lakh salary generate 2 CR of business? To get that 40 lakh/1 crore salary one needs to be either sone kind of evangalist or a kick-ass business generator.
Cost of hiring a developer in US is now around 120k USD. It's easier to hire in India with an average cost of 40 lakh per anum.

The plight of IT professionals in their 40s-us_dev_salaries.png
Old 14th January 2022, 17:59   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have to disagree on this. In the US 50k $ per annum is on the minimum scale for salaries. That is appropriate for any new recruitment. If you compare with cost of living calculator, it translates roughly to 5/6 lakh Rs per annum, which is an Indian fresher salary, give or take a few lakhs.
Equivalent (in terms of cost of living) of a 40 lakh inr salary will be about 350000/400,000 usd salary, how many IT engineers draw the same in a bread and butter coding job?
You are mixing two different things. Why does it matter for a company if it can get an experienced person for cheap in India compared to a fresher?

Since you mentioned the cost of living and this is a car forum, one cannot buy the cheapest BMW with a 40 lakh salary here but would easily afford a 5 series if in the US.

Quote:
A 20-year experienced person is already saving the company 60-80 lakh (considering the equivalent position in the US will have a salary of $120-150k). And you probably don't realize the margins on which these companies operate. I once received the billing document instead of the spec and realized my entire year's salary was covered by that 1-month task.
Jaguar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 18:39   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
A 20-year experienced person is already saving the company 60-80 lakh (considering the equivalent position in the US will have a salary of $120-150k). And you probably don't realize the margins on which these companies operate. I once received the billing document instead of the spec and realized my entire year's salary was covered by that 1-month task.
I get billed at $52 an hour for a 9 hour day but my CTC translates to $15 an hour. Add about $5 for overheads and the company still makes $32 per hour. They have a huge margin to play with, if I put in my papers tomorrow.

But when all these job hopping dies down, how much margin would these companies be left with. The big 5 are operating at a ~25% operating margin. If it falls, so will the profits. The market won't worry much as long as revenue grows, but that too has to hit a wall at some time.

Maybe that will be the time to face the music.
dragonfire is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 19:43   #367
BHPian

Hi,
I have one question,
I am from oil and gas industry and have 20 years of experience in project management, what are my chances of getting into IT industry.
Also my age is around 49

If I have to upskill, should I do it in data science?

Regards
Uday
udaydesai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 19:54   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Nowadays, service companies want to recruit anyone with an AWS solutions architect certification - even 2 or 3 years experienced guys are taking that certification and are suddenly becoming 'hot properties' in the job arena. I think everyone will start to realize slowly that certification is just a certification and one's core experience matters a lot. A colleague says he has a couple of guys in the 2-3 years of experience category in his team and they have AWS certifications (architect!). But they can't solutionize anything without consulting - why?
I think certifications are just like college degrees, and should be considered only as minimum qualifications. I think an employee is hired and positioned based on one's knowledge and experience only, At least that is what I have experienced so far.
Old 15th January 2022, 20:03   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Hi,
I have one question,
I am from oil and gas industry and have 20 years of experience in project management, what are my chances of getting into IT industry.
Also my age is around 49

One channel is to join the IT services or consulting organizations as a domain expert. It would be impractical for you to join any IT firm as a technical resource at this level of experience. You can build the basic understanding of latest technology happenings and then be part of these organizations to suggest their customers how these technologies can be used in oil and gas industries. The same skill can also be leveraged for sales positions in these organizations.
sreerknair is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 20:13   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
One channel is to join the IT services or consulting organizations as a domain expert. It would be impractical for you to join any IT firm as a technical resource at this level of experience. You can build the basic understanding of latest technology happenings and then be part of these organizations to suggest their customers how these technologies can be used in oil and gas industries. The same skill can also be leveraged for sales positions in these organizations.
Hi,
So what platform should I persu

Regards
Uday
Old 15th January 2022, 20:20   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I have one question,
Also my age is around 49

Regards
Uday
You can pursue to be a subject matter expert in the IT services industry or a Product Manager in a software product company (which has the Oil&Gas focus)
Old 15th January 2022, 20:21   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I have one question,

Hi,

My view: If you are keen to get closer to IT, please do ensure to utilize the strengths that are unique, as you try the transition :

a). Domain experience in a niche area and b). Project Management experience.

Also, would recommend that you view the question as 'Getting to embrace or implement technology' as against 'getting into IT industry'. Towards this, you could review which areas of technology are particularly useful in your field and take a decision. As an example, list skills one would require to head technology in such organizations, and take a decision accordingly.

If you are unable to take that decision, try a suitable online course (not for certification but for getting an understanding of the areas) for mid/senior level management to gain clarity and be able to take a better decision.

Thanks.
subbarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 20:25   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
So what platform should I persu

Regards
Uday
If you meant the technologies to pursue, then I would say what you will need is breadth of knowledge in all the latest digital technologies. Not the depth. These include Cloud, Data science, AI/ML, DevOps, Microservices, Bigdata etc. Understand what these technologies are, what makes them a business enabler, and how those technologies can be leveraged in an Industry. They can be used for variety of reasons such as cost savings, revenue generation, competitive advantage, and even business disruption. A good book I can recommend is -

The Digital Transformation Playbook: Rethink Your Business for the Digital Age
Book by David L. Rogers
sreerknair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 08:29   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Cost of hiring a developer in US is now around 120k USD. It's easier to hire in India with an average cost of 40 lakh per anum.
I think this bit of information is a few years old or skewed towards low cost of living locations of US (Eg Bangalore salaries vs Orissa salaries for same role and level).

Most of my friends/circle make in the range of 200k-300k USD and we all graduated in 2016-2017 with ~5 years of experience.

My first job was in the FAANG (contract through one of Indian MNCs and gross income was ~100k).

For personal reasons, I happened to work in India between (2019-2020) for the same role on internal transfer and the difference in salaries and benefits is astounding.

In some extreme cases, the bonus paid out in the US is more than a year's CTC sometimes.
FiestaST is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 09:53   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
I have one question,
Also my age is around 49

Regards
Uday
One of my relatives who has worked in the oil and gas industry in several continents and settled in Canada wanted to try his hand in IT. He had around 25+ years that time. To my knowledge he is very young at heart and is an able person for adapting to new environments and challenges. However, after a year or so, he didn't like the way things were done in IT and went back to his original domain.

At the same time, another relative of mine who had 12 years of experience in automotive industry (production management) did a course on ERP and joined IT. His new job was ERP consultant for production engineering and has been happier than ever before (more than 15 yrs now) He says his past experience helps in the new job and adds value.

Instead of directly choosing the technology, decide on what you want to be and how you can add value in the new role and equip yourself on that.
Point to note: stay relevant wherever you are or wherever you go
Shivam is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks