Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2007, 12:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

AXN banned for 2 months. Moral policing is back.

The government got into their moral policing act by banning AXN for two months till March 15 for airing “Worlds sexiest advertisements”, a programme that the GOI said is against ‘good taste or decency’ and which adversely affects 'public morality'”. Sad part is there are a number of ordinary people like us who whole heartedly will support the ban on programmes like “world’s sexiest advertisements” because they believe it’s against Indian culture. Remember Pratibha Naithani? We will ban AXN, HBO, Star movies for showing skin and nudity but sit with our families watching some of the remix music video’s that actually make Hollywood late night movies look like nursery rhymes. Why can’t we watch FTV with our families when we easily sit with our folks watching a hideously vulgur remixed music video? So what is against Indian culture, what is against decency and good taste? What is vulgur? Most people may find a bikini clad woman vulgur. I may find a sari clad woman vulgur because it exposes the mid riff. What if I file a PIL against wearing saris?! Will we then ban saris too?

I believe that Ekta Kapoor’s “K series” shows are against decency and Indian culture. Why is that these shows showing extra marital affairs, saas-bahu politics and cheap antics and even murders are “family entaritainment shows”? How about a ban on Star TV, Zee tv, Sony, Sab etc? Why doesn’t Pratibha Naithani file PIL’s against these vulgur shows? Funny how she and countless others find HBO, AXN vulgur and not our “pristine” hindi serials.

If any channels deserve to be banned then it’s all our news channels. Take the example of the Nithari murders. All the channels are guilty to showing grotesque scenes of bones being digged out from drains, bones held in plastic bags and Aaj Tak even turned their studio into the first floor bedroom of bungalow no D-5 so we can be given a clear picture of the nightmare that happened inside that house. Whenever there is any terror bombing our news channels are first on the spot with scenes of mangled dead bodies, some even with their clothes ripped off and that doesn’t affect us. We have always been a insensitive society but now we are turning into voyeurs. Why doesn’t all this affect our morality? Why doesn’t all this affect our “great Indian culture”? Why no PIL’s or demands of banning such shows? Why are we outraged when we see a bikini clad woman or a Mallika dancing on news years eve but absolutely calm when we see mangled, naked dead bodies, people lying in pools of blood. Why the hypocrisy?

Source:Times of India.

Last edited by amit : 18th January 2007 at 12:40.
Old 18th January 2007, 12:29   #2
BANNED

MORONS... a total bunch of morons are "POLICING" this country..
BAH FREAKIN HUMBUG...
Whats the point of introducing CAS when the moral police are going to do utter rubbish like this.
Why not ban all the channels.. keep ONLY ONE DOORDARSHAN channel showing reruns of "aamchi mati aamchi mansa' over and over and over and over again!!
Old 18th January 2007, 12:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

just read about that racial remarks that caused Shilpa to cry on Big Brother.
Old 18th January 2007, 12:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Here we go again !! Whats wrong with people maan ? The worlds sexiest ads hardly contained anything that was sexy - it was toned down for Indian viewership - so why ban it ? And it starts after 11 pm - that time the moral police should be asleep na ..they preach good things , sleeping early is one of them right ?
Old 18th January 2007, 12:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Maybe its in the shows name. Perhaps if they had called it "The Ads which Appeal to the Young Male" or something like that, this wouldnt have come up.
Old 18th January 2007, 12:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

This country needs to get a life!
Old 18th January 2007, 12:46   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Honestly... does one have anything to do with the other?
Thats happening for TRP in my opinion .

Quote:
normally_crazy:And it starts after 11 pm - that time the moral police should be asleep na ..they preach good things , sleeping early is one of them right ?
If the so called moral police ka bachchelog are awake at 11 pm watching worlds sexiest anything.. then I think the Moral Police should start policing themselves coz they SUCK as parents!!
Old 18th January 2007, 13:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Quote:
Thats happening for TRP in my opinion
I agree with that too. Here is a line from a article in The Guardian

Quote:
Channel 4 and Endemol executives met yesterday to discuss the row, but privately may be rubbing their hands. Tuesday night's show was watched by 4.5 million people, 1 million more than Monday's.
Full Story: The Guardian.
Old 18th January 2007, 13:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose View Post
MORONS... a total bunch of morons are "POLICING" this country..
BAH FREAKIN HUMBUG...
Whats the point of introducing CAS when the moral police are going to do utter rubbish like this.
Why not ban all the channels.. keep ONLY ONE DOORDARSHAN channel showing reruns of "aamchi mati aamchi mansa' over and over and over and over again!!
Absolutely!!! I mean come on why is everybody in the Government and the Moral police such a confused LOT!

India is a "Pure Democracy" thats what they say hahaha

The "K-Series" soaps I mean they are ridiculous they are medling with the minds of Middle aged group to the extent that it affects how people look at relationships, indians gaurd this as their "culture" ??? Well, most moral police / Government guys involved in this have kids who are abroad and living in the USA/UK/Australia and having a great time showing skin there like never before !!! Why the hypocrisy? Everybody watches FTV right from Teenagers to wifes to Fathers and grand fathers .....obviously the later do it when the family isnt around! Well, the crux of the matter being when you hate this so much why let your kids wear jeans and t-shirts lets go back to dhotis and Saris!!! I am not saying that these are bad, but they need to make up their minds about this.

India is a great country. One politician from China or Japan (I think) said "India is a Sleeping Giant" !!! Our politicians are making sure it sleeps well and long till they make their fortunes and fly abroad to settle never to come back.

Just deviating from the topic a little. Following "Questions" need to be asked to the Media (Obviously News Channels are indirectly funded by political parties for propaganda) Very Evident fact!

1) Where is Abdul Karim Telgi? What happened to the MULTI crore fake
stamp paper case?

2) Where is DON Abu Salem ? Why has he not been convicted yet? Oh yes he is standing for elections till then, he might just get elected from custody and become an MP !! Do you think he has concerns of buying votes or politicians, he has millions of un-taxed savings from his previous "Business" Possible? Democracy to the fullest...

Thats thatI can go on with these, well however dont want to vent my fury here.

Bottom line AXN was a nice channel to watch and all the "adult" stuff was slotted in the night that is after 10:30 or 11pm. dont know what the fuss is all about? I guess its political !! hahaha these days most conversations end at this line..I wonder why!!

Cheerio!
Old 18th January 2007, 13:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose View Post
Honestly... does one have anything to do with the other?
Thats happening for TRP in my opinion .
yah re,should be for TRP rating!
Old 18th January 2007, 13:28   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Everybody watches FTV right from Teenagers to wifes to Fathers and grand fathers .....obviously the later do it when the family isnt around!
Right.. so why in Bombay is FTV a FREE TO AIR CHANNEL and not a pay channel.. coz then everyone will know which all Chuppa Rustoms in their houses want to watch FTV and ogle/drool/Godonlyknowswhatelse while watching it.
Quote:
Bottom line AXN was a nice channel to watch and all the "adult" stuff was slotted in the night that is after 10:30 or 11pm. dont know what the fuss is all about? I guess its political !! hahaha these days most conversations end at this line..I wonder why!!
Thats coz this is a PURE DEMOCRACY.
And as we all know there's nothing that exists that is PURE... Q.E.D.
Old 18th January 2007, 13:43   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
This country needs to get a life!
youd think theyd get more tolerant as time goes by..
Old 18th January 2007, 13:45   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is vulgur? Most people may find a bikini clad woman vulgur. I may find a sari clad woman vulgur because it exposes the mid riff. What if I file a PIL against wearing saris?! Will we then ban saris too?

I believe that Ekta Kapoor’s “K series” shows are against decency and Indian culture. Why is that these shows showing extra marital affairs, saas-bahu politics and cheap antics and even murders are “family entaritainment shows”?
How true... some of the 'costumes' (read saris) worn by the stars on these shows make one think why they even bother ??!!

Moral policing seems to be prevalent in some form or the other, and apparently there is nothing we can do about it. Perhaps as someone pointed out, the show shud have been named differently, but that brings us to the question on whether it would bring in the same TRP ratings as expected.

The Shilpa Shetty episode is nothing else but a public gimmick, and a mockery of emotions of the general public. They have managed to evoke the outcry of the British Indian population, not to mention added publicity.
Reminds me of the Jim Carrey movie (cant remember the name), where reality TV is just a bluff.
Old 18th January 2007, 13:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Isnt the programming of all channels subject to screening before the censor board of TV (if there is one) ?? Then why this hue and cry now ? Why not catch the officials who cleared the telecast of such programs ?
Old 18th January 2007, 13:49   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Reminds me of the Jim Carrey movie (cant remember the name), where reality TV is just a bluff.
I think the movie was called "THE TRUMAN SHOW"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks