Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2020, 18:23   #4516
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

How did I miss this thread? I love anything on wheels. And I am happy to see a good number of team-bhp.com bikers here too. I bought the 20" Montra BMX 9 months back just to have fun with my kids, who are starting to learn cycling with their 16" BMX with stabilisers(small wheels).

Now I am itching to buy a properly geared Mountain Bike(MTB), as my place here have really steep inclines where you have to be really fit to pedal up.

My intended use will be just 3-4kms a day, with 50% uphill ride on properly paved roads. I have researched a lot, and I like the looks of trail/enduro bikes with big fat tyres. But I see a lot of road bikes on this very thread, which I am not very keen to purchase.

Local shops here have Firefox, Montra, BTwin and the likes. Kindly pour in your suggestions. Local shops have their stock sold out in the meantime, and are hoping to re stock somewhere in mid June.

Regards.
Thanks in advance

The Bicycles thread-img_20200309_080302.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 18th May 2020 at 22:33. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
docmoya2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 21:25   #4517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmoya2007 View Post
Now I am itching to buy a properly geared Mountain Bike(MTB), as my place here have really steep inclines where you have to be really fit to pedal up.

My intended use will be just 3-4kms a day, with 50% uphill ride on properly paved roads. I have researched a lot, and I like the looks of trail/enduro bikes with big fat tyres. But I see a lot of road bikes on this very thread, which I am not very keen to purchase.
If you are going to ride on properly paved roads, then a hybrid is more suited than an MTB. MTBs are intended for off-roading and are very inefficient on good roads due to their weight, shock absorbers, and knobby tires. As you have 50% of your roads up-hill, an MTB will be very tiring to ride. And as you are not interested in a road bike, I recommend a hybrid. I think Montra has some good Hybrid models. Fat tires are good to look, but are a pain to ride

PS: Also depends on your fitness level. If you have an athletic fitness, then an MTB may work for you. But if your fitness is at average level, then MTB will be a wrong choice for hilly rides.

Last edited by graaja : 18th May 2020 at 21:29.
graaja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 21:19   #4518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Thanks, I see a universal bike stem riser in Amazon, but im not sure if this fits the Montra 24. I have also asked the track and trail bicycle showroom if they can procure the right size for me. I think this would be a great support, ensuring that the cycle gets used for the next 2 years. Hope to find the right one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
For Rockrider 340 they have something like this in decathlon, i am thinking to get it installed, since i had got the S sized cycle for my wife and she don't use it anymore.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8340136/b...et-stem-raiser

So I managed to speak some folks at TI cycles India and they referred me to a shop in Bangalore who apparently deal in these stem risers. The shop guy confirmed that there is an universal stem riser that can do the job, so Im going to probably pay a visit this weekend.

And yes, Decathlon too has something like this, but obviously only for BTWIN bikes.
Old 19th May 2020, 22:14   #4519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Local shops here have Firefox, Montra, BTwin and the likes. Kindly pour in your suggestions.
MTBs are for mountain terrain riding; trail/offroad riding at the least. Unless you have a heavy body (by weight and height > 6 feet), then a 29 incher MTB would make sense. I'd second @graaja - look for a hybrid cycle. Works best for city (and the occasional trail) riding; also the bikes turn out to be much lighter than MTBs.

For your planned usage, a Btwin hybrid option might turn out to be most economical; with Montra as the second option. Ride the bike and decide accordingly.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 04:23   #4520
BHPian

Quote:

There is a ton of difference between Mountain biking and biking in the mountain which seems to be the case with you. Don't go by the looks of the trail / enduro bikes, go by the purpose / intention of use.

As a reference on technical Enduro downhill and the kind of bike you would need, have a look at this thread as a starting point:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ng-thread.html (The Enduro Downhill Mountain Biking Thread)
joe1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:27   #4521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
So I managed to speak some folks at TI cycles India and they referred me to a shop in Bangalore who apparently deal in these stem risers. The shop guy confirmed that there is an universal stem riser that can do the job, so Im going to probably pay a visit this weekend.

And yes, Decathlon too has something like this, but obviously only for BTWIN bikes.
Got the Stem riser installed in my B-twin RockRider 340 at decathlon costed around Rs 1200. Now its much more comfortable and also i am able to adjust the height of stem.

Actually with just installation it increased 2 inches of height without needing to raising any stem height, that is that i had required.

The Bicycles thread-img_20200522_172141.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20200522_172204.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20200522_172222.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 4th June 2020 at 17:10. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 17:13   #4522
Senior - BHPian

I am using my bicycle fairly regularly for buying groceries and ferrying to office, and I am seriously thinking of buying a basket in front to carry shopping and stuff. It will look girly, but I am willing to take that risk. Mine is Btwin Riverside 120.

The basket that decathlon has is 100 series which is only 8L. The 12L 500 series is not available in India. Any options for this?

I am also trying to find whether I can get BSA Ladybird 26 inch cycle’s basket fits on the 28 inch Riverside 120.

Any thoughts and options?
Old 25th May 2020, 13:51   #4523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav96 View Post
Budget = 6-7k, which can be extended to 10k.
Primary use = grocery shopping within 2km radius and weekend cycle ride of 5km.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
I am no expert, but hybrids are vastly comfortable over MTBs or road cycles. I preach my Riverside120 to every regular user. I too am using it primarily for 5-6km roundtrips and buying groceries. I have sensitive back and it has been nothing but excellent in posture.

I have also installed the suspension seat post by Btwin and it helps in road rumbles like little dilutions etc.

I love the cycle so much that I spent additional 22k and got it converted into a proper electric cycle! Some day I may post a detailed thread about the electric Btwin Riverside 120, perhaps the only one in the world
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 14:10   #4524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I am using my bicycle fairly regularly for buying groceries and ferrying to office, and I am seriously thinking of buying a basket in front to carry shopping and stuff. It will look girly, but I am willing to take that risk. Mine is Btwin Riverside 120.

Any thoughts and options?
One option is to install a rack. Google "bicycle pannier Rack".
Once done then buy Pannier bags. I had bags which sling on the both side of the rack. It is more balanced that way.
Google "bicycle pannier bags".

For example:The Bicycles thread-bicycle.jpg

Picture source link.
Old 25th May 2020, 21:50   #4525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
One option is to install a rack. Google "bicycle pannier Rack".

Picture source link.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think rear racks are more useful for pack and go situations, but for grocery shopping, slow speed riding, I would prefer to have the stuff in front of me to keep an eye on it!

Now I am hanging two cloth bags from both the handles and ride with them dangling around. A basket can help them stay in center and in view.
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:58   #4526
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,
What's the view on Ridley brand cycles? I am planning on getting a hybrid this weekend to kick off the riding habit; now that the rains are here.
Have Cannondale Quick 5/7 and Trek FX 2/3 as the default option; am very comfortable on these framesets; but the local shop is offering a decent deal on Ridley Cordis 2.

Any feedback on the brand and/or the Ridley hybrid option? I'll be planning to test ride over the weekend; but open to feedback/views.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 3rd June 2020 at 11:01.
Old 3rd June 2020, 15:12   #4527
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Any feedback on the brand and/or the Ridley hybrid option? I'll be planning to test ride over the weekend; but open to feedback/views.
One of my friends owns a Ridley Cordis 1 and it is a very good bike for what it offers. Think he got it for around INR 30k. And about the brand, it is Belgian brand and they do have bikes that compete in Tour De France, so you know how good they should be in general.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th June 2020 at 17:11. Reason: Quote trimmed.
kat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:10   #4528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
One of my friends owns a Ridley Cordis 1 and it is a very good bike for what it offers. Think he got it for around INR 30k. And about the brand, it is Belgian brand and they do have bikes that compete in Tour De France, so you know how good they should be in general.
Thanks for the feedback - I had checked both Belgian and the Indian sites. The non-racing bikes (hybrid models especially) are non-existant outside the Indian site and Indian resellers (like choosemybicycle/trackandtrail/etc). The global website doesn't even carry any of the Cordis 1/2/3 models or even a hybrid section. No (non-local) reviews; the local ones just seem to refer to the Belgian and TDF heritage of the brand, that's all.

That's my quandary. Component-wise it's a decent match with similarly priced bikes, but there is very less info otherwise. Global biking forums refer to only the road bike models (Fenix, etc). Anyway, I'll give the bike a spin when I get to the shop.

If you don't mind me asking; what kind of riding does your friend do with the Ridley? Any other brands he's used in the past to give a comparison?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 3rd June 2020 at 16:25.
Old 3rd June 2020, 16:32   #4529
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

If you don't mind me asking; what kind of riding does your friend do with the Ridley? Any other brands he's used in the past to give a comparison?
My friend has owned the bike for more than 2 years. He is an occasional rider with a 50 km ride now and then. His feedback was that it held up well without any major issues so far. Sorry, he has not owned multiple bikes. I rode it briefly and felt that it was smooth and good enough for its price.

But if you have the extra moolah, the Cannondale Quick series/Badboy series are far better in comparison.
kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:50   #4530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
But if you have the extra moolah, the Cannondale Quick series/Badboy series are far better in comparison.
Lol any cash saved is worth it - thanks for the inputs, this'll definitely help over the weekend. Nothing like getting the feedback from an actual user.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th June 2020 at 17:11. Reason: Quote trimmed.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed