Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2020, 21:13   #4471
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Thanks for your valuable inputs Raaja sir. I saw from your previous posts in this thread that you were using a BTWIN basic trainer to begin with. What made you upgrade? My only concern is that if I get the basic Btwin inride trainer initially and I might get an itch to upgrade to a smart trainer later which would then cost a bomb. My plan is to ride a couple of days indoors every week and probably take the bike out on Sundays for LSDs.

Question 1: How do I integrate a HRM to the setup? Is it easy enough? I don't have any sort of Head unit on my bike.

Question 2: What is the cheapest Smart trainer that we can get in India today and where?
I had borrowed the Btwin trainer from my friend. I wanted to first get a feel of indoor training before getting a trainer. Though the workout was good, it was very boring. There was no resistance change (had to manually adjust resistance if needed), power numbers were way off, Zwift does not know what resistance the trainer was running at (this will not be a problem with fluid trainers though) etc. The best experience with Zwift comes with a smart trainer where the resistance adjusts according to the terrain.

If you can wait and save a little more or extend your budget, I would suggest you go for a smart trainer. Some of the smart trainers you can check are Wahoo Wahoo Kickr snap, Kinetic road machine, and some models from Cyclops, Tacx etc. From reviews I found Wahoo Kickr Snap to be the best, but it was costing around 50K. You could find other trainers from 30K I guess.

Answer #1:
For connecting HR monitor, you need a USB to ANT+ dongle like below.

USB - ANT+ dongle

You have to connect the dongle to the laptop and you can detect and add your HR in the Zwift App.

Answer#2:
Not sure about this. Maybe others can throw some light on this.

All the best with the smart trainer purchase!
Old 17th February 2020, 10:06   #4472
BHPian

Hi guys. Need some idea about bicycle racks.

Currently own a Tata Hexa. Any idea which rack would be suitable for the kind of tailgate the Hexa has?

Those tow hitch kind of racks look ideal, with the cycles not sticking out over the height of the car. Any chance a tow ball hitch can be installed on the Hexa?
Old 17th February 2020, 14:21   #4473
BHPian

[QUOTEQuestion 2: What is the cheapest Smart trainer that we can get in India today and where?
[/quote]

Well this would be the Inbike 500 + the associated sensors and 1 year membership to Btwin Trainer (Kinomap) = Rs. 12000+Rs.3400 = Rs.16k or +/- Rs. 1000.00
Old 17th February 2020, 14:26   #4474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post

Currently own a Tata Hexa. Any idea which rack would be suitable for the kind of tailgate the Hexa has?

Those tow hitch kind of racks look ideal, with the cycles not sticking out over the height of the car. Any chance a tow ball hitch can be installed on the Hexa?
Try the Decathlon rack - good value for money. As for the wheels sticking, you can always load the cycle w/o the front wheel.
Old 18th February 2020, 12:32   #4475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I had borrowed the Btwin trainer from my friend. I wanted to first get a feel of indoor training before getting a trainer. Though the workout was good, it was very boring. There was no resistance change (had to manually adjust resistance if needed), power numbers were way off, Zwift does not know what resistance the trainer was running at (this will not be a problem with fluid trainers though) etc. The best experience with Zwift comes with a smart trainer where the resistance adjusts according to the terrain.

Answer #1:
For connecting HR monitor, you need a USB to ANT+ dongle like below.

USB - ANT+ dongle

You have to connect the dongle to the laptop and you can detect and add your HR in the Zwift App.
Thanks Raaja sir. I might use it for a couple of days per week indoors. Would still prefer to go out a few times outside. I am leaning towards the InRide 500 now. Can we connect Bluetooth based sensors (not ANT+ based) directly to Zwift? How do we connect a Speed, Cadence and HRM simultaneously to a host?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
Question 2: What is the cheapest Smart trainer that we can get in India today and where?

Well this would be the Inbike 500 + the associated sensors and 1 year membership to Btwin Trainer (Kinomap) = Rs. 12000+Rs.3400 = Rs.16k or +/- Rs. 1000.00
Thanks! Does the associated sensors connect directly to Zwift / RGT? Or Do I need an Ant+ Dongle? Because I can't seem to source an ANT+ dongle in India anywhere? Have to get it shipped via Amazon.com

Last edited by aah78 : 1st March 2020 at 20:48. Reason: Spacing.
Old 18th February 2020, 13:02   #4476
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Does the associated sensors connect directly to Zwift / RGT? Or Do I need an Ant+ Dongle? Because I can't seem to source an ANT+ dongle in India anywhere? Have to get it shipped via Amazon.com
The Decathlon option will provide 1 year membership to B'Twin Training App.
This is similar to Kinomap/Rouvy etc.
Please have a look at the below links for more information.
This is most eco. way to convert a dumb to smart....

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8487134_b...0aAsaVEALw_wcB

https://partner.kinomap.com/Btwin-Training

Hope this helps
Old 18th February 2020, 13:33   #4477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Thanks Raaja sir. I might use it for a couple of days per week indoors. Would still prefer to go out a few times outside. I am leaning towards the InRide 500 now. Can we connect Bluetooth based sensors (not ANT+ based) directly to Zwift? How do we connect a Speed, Cadence and HRM simultaneously to a host?
Sure, you can definitely start with InRide 500.

Though I have not used it, Zwift does recognize Bluetooth based sensors. You have to just enable Bluetooth in the laptop (or any machine on which you run Zwift), and Zwift will detect all the sensors - heart rate, speed, cadence etc.
Old 18th February 2020, 15:59   #4478
BHPian

Hi guys I need some advice on buying my first road bike. I only have 2 requirements which are:
  1. Cables should be internally routed (looks neat)
  2. Should be upgrade-able to 105 or above as I plan to keep it for a long time.
  3. Budget is around 60-65k.
Contenders till now are:
  • Specialized Allez E5 2020
  • Merida Scultura 100

Last edited by aah78 : 1st March 2020 at 20:49. Reason: LIST added. Spacing.
Old 18th February 2020, 17:23   #4479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
Hi guys I need some advice on buying my first road bike.I only have 2 requirements which are
Hey TSIVTEC,

Could you please tell me where are you getting the 2020 Specialized Allez E5 ? A friend of mine has been looking for a 2020 model as well. Will help.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st March 2020 at 20:49. Reason: Quote trimmed. Spacing.
Old 18th February 2020, 18:13   #4480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Hey TSIVTEC,

Could you please tell me where are you getting the 2020 Specialized Allez E5 ? A friend of mine has been looking for a 2020 model as well. Will help.
It available at Bots for 67k.I don't think they have any other colour except the satin black though..
Here's the link to it..
https://bumsonthesaddle.com/products...allez-blk-char
Old 18th February 2020, 21:45   #4481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
Hi guys I need some advice on buying my first road bike.I only have 2 requirements which are
Both are good brands. Merida is the OEM for Specialized. Upgrading to 105 will require rebuilding the rear wheel with a 11 speed hub. Claris can be upgraded till Tiagra though with just a direct swap of the groupset.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st March 2020 at 20:50. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 19th February 2020, 01:00   #4482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is my Scott Aspect 950 mounted using the BTwin rack on my Getz:

The Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1582054084.974830.jpg

On the Getz the rack is mounted high, which I believe won't be the case for the Hexa. As for the wheel jutting out, of the front is quick removable, suggest you try that.
Old 19th February 2020, 12:12   #4483
BHPian

Here is another update (s):

A. During the weekend of 1st and 2nd February 2020, did Bangalore - Mysore - Bangalore cycling, with other few friends from my office. Stayed in Mysore for the night and did riding back to Bangalore on 2nd day. It was planned as a practice ride for the upcoming long distance we were planning (see below)

Strava links for these Mysore rides:
https://www.strava.com/activities/3061462936 (Day1 - onward)
https://www.strava.com/activities/3064488128 (Day2 - return)

B. During the last weekend of 15th and 16th Feb 2020, me and another friend from my office did Bangalore to Palakkad (Kerala) ride over 2 days, covering a total distance of 456 kms.

Starting early Saturday morning, we rode 293 km on first day, and stopped in a place for night sleep. We had earlier stopped at 160 kms point for 3.5 hours during lunch break to avoid afternoon heat (heat was unbearable during afternoon in both TN and Kerala).

Starting by 7am on second day, we did the remaining distance and reached my kerala home by 3 pm, covering 163 kms.

Monday night we reached Bangalore back, bringing our bikes in a car.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3102724513 (Day 1)
https://www.strava.com/activities/3104111715 (Day 2)

The Bicycles thread-img_20200216_113225.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20200215_162228.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img20200216wa0009.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20200216_120711.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 1st March 2020 at 20:50. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 20th February 2020, 16:41   #4484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
Try the Decathlon rack - good value for money. As for the wheels sticking, you can always load the cycle w/o the front wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
This is my Scott Aspect 950 mounted using the BTwin rack on my Getz:

On the Getz the rack is mounted high, which I believe won't be the case for the Hexa. As for the wheel jutting out, of the front is quick removable, suggest you try that.
Thanks for the info. Any idea about the stability of the setup at highway speeds?
Old 20th February 2020, 16:46   #4485
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Any idea about the stability of the setup at highway speeds?
As long you are not a maniac it should be fine. If secured properly should be fine. By maniac I mean maniacal speeds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks