Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2021, 13:23   #5296
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
What does this do which Strava and Google Fit + Google maps cant?
I am not sure if the elevation details are available in either Strava (free version) or Google apps while planning the ride. With this data, at least I am now able to decide which route to go on.

Quote:
Also, please be aware that even with gears, one occasionally has to stand up on the pedals
Oh absolutely. I am not having any wrong expectations from the new bike
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-komoot.png  

Last edited by Jedi.Knight : 8th February 2021 at 13:26.
Old 8th February 2021, 13:30   #5297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi.Knight View Post
I am not sure if the elevation details are available in either Strava (free version) or Google apps while planning the ride. With this data, at least I am now able to decide which route to go on.
Strava (freeversion) used to have it, now they are steadily moving many features to the paid version. Earlier one could plan out routes in advance checking out elevation etc.

Thankfully we have RideWithGPS and MapMyRide kind of apps that still do the job. Not sure about the one you shared. Do share your experience with it once you have used it a bit.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 13:40   #5298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Thankfully we have RideWithGPS and MapMyRide kind of apps that still do the job. Not sure about the one you shared. Do share your experience with it once you have used it a bit.
Ah, I was not aware of either of these apps. Will try these too. Thanks!
I saw the review of Komoot on one of GCN videos, and hence decided to try it out.

Last edited by Jedi.Knight : 8th February 2021 at 13:44. Reason: Added text
Old 9th February 2021, 13:18   #5299
Senior - BHPian

Been chipping away at the cycle pile...

The Bicycles thread-img_20201107_13320202.jpeg

1) My first 29er... never even rode one before, had always been curious.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210208_17045301.jpeg

This was purchased in derelict, scratched-up condition from an ex- rental outfit. Being aluminum, the full-polish treatment seemed appropriate in lieu of paint. Put on a NOS no-name rear tyre that someone had inexplicably discarded, a derailleur and hanger and rear shift cable... greased /adjusted everything and good to go. Actually a Firefox Tremor.

2) On a pretty different note, this B'TWIN Rockrider 300 scrapyard salvage unit.

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_130613_101.jpeg

All steel but not too heavy. Wanted it minimalist & rugged, thus the satin black repaint and chrome theme, "downgrade" to a 6-speed (chromed) rear freewheel (with chrome chain) with roto-shifters retained on a chrome handle from my wife's vintage Firefox (posted earlier). Salvaged Kenda full knobbies in near-new shape. Rides and looks good.

3) I'm not a big fan of Suncross on account of excessive weight and substandard quality of components, but they've got some nice colors, and this was another cheap scrap unit that ended up a good looker:
The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_124858_101.jpeg

Had a bunch of fun these past couple weeks.
More to come.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 13:56   #5300
Senior - BHPian

Well, Doc had said that the Hy-Bird Dragon I'd assumed to be generic Chinese was actually from one of the better Ludhiana makers...

The Bicycles thread-img_20201022_101532_hdr01.jpeg

...So cancelled the idea of using it for parts, welded the frame where cracked at left rear, put a new ₹1300 fork and second-hand front wheel on it (someone had tried to fix the original fork-spindle with a wooden dowel!)... and ended up with a pretty nice-looking, very smooth riding, 21-gear double-disc, click-shifted ride. My son is absolutely sure he wants this one above all the others he's test-ridden, so I guess it will be in the family awile. Glad I kept it!

The Bicycles thread-img_20210129_155033_hdr.jpg

And not taking the logos off this one!

Endearingly pure desi, with "RACE MASTER" and "WE WILL DO THE BEST FOR YOU" factory-stickered on the chassis, and Hy-Bird prominently displayed at least three places on each side (which is a lot less than my Merida annoyingly had!!!) The near-flourescent green is a real eye-grabber besides.

It's got a nice set of salvaged, like-new, matching desi (Ralson) tyres of a very unique tread pattern I've not seen before... it already had some kind of cheap copy derailleurs (Sunrace? Sunspeed?) on it that with cleaning/oiling actually work flawlessly.
Perfect!

What I'm loving about these cycle refurbs is how quickly it's possible to take one from scrapheap to like-new condition. And parts are largely pretty standardized / interchangeable / adaptable, so very few headaches / delays there. So whereas cars and bikes (of which I've done quite a number) can take weeks/months/years, none of these has had me at it more than a couple days, if that. Not quite "instant gratification" (hardly need more of that in this world!), but neither are they anything like endless projects / money-pits. Very satisfying whenever you're feeling the need to actually accomplish things with your efforts...

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 9th February 2021 at 14:21.
ringoism is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 16:43   #5301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Been chipping away at the cycle pile...

Had a bunch of fun these past couple weeks.
More to come.

-Eric
There's a near pristine Hero Thunder rigid fork alloy MTB there too. Nice.

Great job on the Hi (hello) Bird!

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 9th February 2021 at 16:50.
Old 9th February 2021, 20:44   #5302
BANNED

Between Bergamont Helix 1.5 and Marin Fairfax 1, what would be better for City roads?

Links below.

https://www.marinbikes.com/in/bikes/2021-fairfax-1

https://bergamont.sportnetwork.in/bergamont-helix-1-5i-c2-urban-bike-my-2021.html

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 9th February 2021 at 20:48.
Old 9th February 2021, 21:21   #5303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Between Bergamont Helix 1.5 and Marin Fairfax 1, what would be better for City roads?

Links below.

https://www.marinbikes.com/in/bikes/2021-fairfax-1

https://bergamont.sportnetwork.in/be...e-my-2021.html

Bergamont looks really good at just 11.5 kgs! would be my choice.

Team i am in a dillema situation regarding my bike.
Its a Montra Rock 1.0, which has been modified by fitting 26*1.75 continental tyres ( Semi slick pattern ), have also fitted a SR suntour XCM front suspension.

Now the Dillema :

Should i upgrade my drivetrain or go for a completely new bike?

Drive train upgrade should cost me 6-7 k roughly, but i wish to know whether it would help me ride faster than current setup.

Current setup is 42-34-24 T and 28-14T at rear Shimano Tourney.
Plan is to fit 48-36-26 and 11-36 at rear, with probably Acera derailer at rear and Altus at front.
Old 9th February 2021, 21:55   #5304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
There's a near pristine Hero Thunder rigid fork alloy MTB there too. Nice.
Hehehe... I wrote HY-Bird by mistake - a few times - and you caught it!!! Obviously stuck thinking "Hybrid".

I'm gonna take my time with that Hero. I weighed it at only around 12kg's, and it's got a bigger front gearset, so thought to look for the lightest hybrid tyres/wheels I can find, fit one with the cassette-type hub I was given and a 8/9-spd stack maybe, and take it for more road-oriented rides. Only trouble being that it's technically too small for me (can pass on to the wife if that's an issue!). Either way not one I'm eager to let go of.

Next up is this one:

The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_140029.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_20210206_134328_1.jpg

You wanna take a guess, Doc? (Hints: NOT my ACT108 Max - and saw the Thunder MTB mentioned in a couple reviews of this one...)

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 9th February 2021 at 22:11.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 22:08   #5305
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Bergamont looks really good at just 11.5 kgs! would be my choice.

Plan is to fit 48-36-26 and 11-36 at rear, with probably Acera derailer at rear and Altus at front.
Thanks for the head up. Marin indeed does not disclose weight for the fairfax 1.

Regarding the upgrade, is that kind of upgrade compatible with the shifters?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 23:25   #5306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Marin Fairfax is a great bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

Should i upgrade my drivetrain or go for a completely new bike?.
Buy a new bike. Any stock hybrid, even the cheaper Downtown or the slightly more expensive Helicon or Rapide or Trance Pro will be faster stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post

You wanna take a guess, Doc? (Hints: NOT my ACT108 Max - and saw the Thunder MTB mentioned in a couple reviews of this one...)

-Eric
I'd like to but I don't have a clue. Lol

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 23:58   #5307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BSD what is the price that you are getting for the marin? and who is the dealer? is it 'The Bikestore' ?

Regards,
Govind
Old 10th February 2021, 07:08   #5308
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
BSD what is the price that you are getting for the marin? and who is the dealer? is it 'The Bikestore' ?
I have not finalised. Looks like sjze M is sold out. Fairfax 2 is rs 44,000. Fairfax 1 is a tad below ₹ 33,000. The dealer is on Ettumanoor - Kottayam Road.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 09:12   #5309
BHPian

Hello friends, planning to buy a new bike for my wife. Will be used within city limit, rides will be under 5km. Budget around 15k. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Old 10th February 2021, 10:45   #5310
BHPian

Joining the cycling bandwagon (in Bangalore), with the 2020 Montra Downtown. The price of the bike has inflated by quite a bit over the past 12 months, but I felt it's still a very good bike for the price. Hoping for many happy miles, and will follow this thread keenly for tips and updates!

The Bicycles thread-f4ea0c01df634645b5542f39938e8125.jpeg

(If anyone knows any good cycling groups in and around Malleshwaram, please do let me know)
Sudarshan42 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed