Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2022, 20:20   #6796
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
THought I will share some feedback about the headlight I have been using : about 3 months ago, I bought the NiteRider Swift 500 headlight. On Sunday, the strap that attaches the light to handlebar broke! In the middle of the ride on a highway and flew away from the cycle onto the shoulder!...
If the Loctite does not do the trick, as a temp fix you can even bind the broken strap link with those plastic tie cables. Now a days they come in black color also.
Old 14th January 2022, 00:14   #6797
BHPian

Was wondering if anyone here uses cyclo-computers? I ride for 45 minutes to 1 hour 4-5 times a week. I know its not much. But still I would like to keep a check on how am I doing. I use Strava and apple watch too. Was thinking about a cheap cycle computer, so wanted to ask how is this? XOSS G+ ?

https://www.amazon.in/XOSS-Speedomet...41&sr=8-2&th=1

Will add the sensors later. On official site of XOSS its quite cheap at around 2.5k or so. They say they have worldwide shipping. Any idea how much customs will I have to pay, should I decide to buy from official XOSS site?
Old 15th January 2022, 07:09   #6798
BHPian

Hello Riders, I’m looking for a floor anchor for my Trek Domane, to be installed in the basement of apartment. Came across ABUS and Kryptonite but neither of them are generally available. Any suggestion wrt from where I can source this - eCommerce or in Bangalore ? Also, any other reliable brands that is (at least) Gold certified that I could consider ?

Cheers, Sunil

Last edited by sunsbhp : 15th January 2022 at 07:14. Reason: Typo correction
sunsbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 21:35   #6799
BHPian

Folks orange beauty come to my home.

We purchased Rockrider ST-100 today.

Planning to purchase Motul chain lub for the Maintainance.

Please give me maintenance tips.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-12e1c7389c784abbbaf025299cef0f4c.jpg  

IP_Man is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 10:04   #6800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
Was wondering if anyone here uses cyclo-computers? I ride for 45 minutes to 1 hour 4-5 times a week. I know its not much. But still I would like to keep a check on how am I doing. I use Strava and apple watch too. Was thinking about a cheap cycle computer, so wanted to ask how is this? XOSS G+ ?
I feel your Apple watch would be good enough to track rides, if you just want to track some basic parameters like speed, elevation, heart rate etc. Check if the watch supports external sensors like cadence, then you can simply add them (Garmin watches support external sensors).

BTW I use a Wahoo Element Bolt for the last few years and also a Garmin Vivoactive watch to track my rides. Garmin watch was good enough for me in the beginning, until I decided to add a power meter to my bike which Garmin watch couldnt pair with, then I bought the Wahoo element bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Folks orange beauty come to my home.

Congratulations on the new bike. Stick to an oil made for cycles, which costs some 300 INR approx, that would last couple of months easily, based on usage. Muc-Off is a good brand to begin with.
narayanang76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 10:26   #6801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Congratulations on the new bike. Stick to an oil made for cycles, which costs some 300 INR approx, that would last couple of months easily, based on usage. Muc-Off is a good brand to begin with.
Thanks. I'm little disappointed after first ride. May be I'm not accustom to such bicycles. This cycle is very much sensitive to road ups and down. It becomes little hard on climbing steep roads.

Also front derailleur don't work smoothly.

Last edited by IP_Man : 17th January 2022 at 10:32. Reason: typo
Old 18th January 2022, 21:46   #6802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
We discuss everything on wheels here...but there is one thing we overlook...the first set of wheels for almost all of us...the Bicycle...

How many of us are active cyclists here? What cycle do you have and what cycle you had as a kid? What gear do you have?

Share all your memories of cycling here....
Thanks for starting this thread, which I believe is the old related to cycling in Team-BHP.

Off lately, I have been searching all places on the net for Cycling forums in India, but very few exsists and are not very active. But, now I'm glad that I found this sub-forum in Team-BHP.

Quote:
Thanks. I'm little disappointed after first ride. May be I'm not accustom to such bicycles. This cycle is very much sensitive to road ups and down. It becomes little hard on climbing steep roads.

Also front derailleur don't work smoothly.
With a 3x7 your smallest gear must be 28 or 32 at the rear and a 24 in the front. That's more than enough. Shift down to the lower gear before you start the climb. Check some videos on how to Shift gears by GCN or GMBN. As for the deraileur, adjust the limit screws and avoid cross-chaining. For a 3x7 remember 1(front)-1,2,3(rear) & 2(f)-3,4,5(r) & 3(f)-5,6,7(r). Also Index both your FD and RD for smooth shifting.

I have a 6 yrs old Hercules MTB with same 3x7 gears and weights about 20 kg. Initially, it was tough to climb. However, after about 3 week, I was able to easily do normal climbs. Check https://www.strava.com/activities/6254699173 my ride after about 3-4 weeks of cycling in the broken and under construction roads of Arunachal.

As for chain lube, I would suggest avoid spray type lubes, it spoils the entire drive train.

Enjoy your rides and happy pedaling.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th January 2022 at 14:31. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
Junaid42465 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 11:26   #6803
BHPian

New (rental) bicycle

Hey everyone, this is my first post on the bicycles subforum. I recently got a rental bicycle from the university where my partner works, in Houston, TX. It's a Retrospec Harper fixed gear road bike. Here are a couple of pictures I took today. I figured I'd start a new thread about the cycle as I want to learn more about bicycle maintenance and upkeep and get ideas for what kind of rides I can do, what accessories I can buy and all that. At the moment I use the bicycle for commuting and getting around (as I don't have a car – and most likely won't get one). It serves that purpose well, is very light and nimble and easy to ride. Houston is pretty flat, so I don't really feel the need for gears. I am thinking of getting padded shorts at some point for longer rides, and would appreciate any suggestions you folks have. Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_20220119_134927.jpg  

karanddd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 13:38   #6804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the bicycles subforum. I recently got a rental bicycle from the university where my partner works, in Houston, TX. It's a Retrospec Harper fixed gear road bike. Here are a couple of pictures I took today. I figured I'd start a new thread about the cycle as I want to learn more about bicycle maintenance and upkeep and get ideas for what kind of rides I can do, what accessories I can buy and all that. At the moment I use the bicycle for commuting and getting around (as I don't have a car – and most likely won't get one). It serves that purpose well, is very light and nimble and easy to ride. Houston is pretty flat, so I don't really feel the need for gears. I am thinking of getting padded shorts at some point for longer rides, and would appreciate any suggestions you folks have. Thank you in advance!
Hi Karan,
It made more sense replying to your post here than a separate thread as your query is one that's quite common on this thread.

Retrospec make great bikes for city riding. I had one nearly a decade ago (attached below) that I had for a year and then sold it off. It's not too heavy and is not that expensive that you'd worry if you had to lock it someplace for a short halt. I loved the simplicity of the fixie for short within-city rides.

I'd think getting padded shorts, gloves, rear lights, a light cycling jacket with reflectors, a bottle holder (and bottle) would suffice for now. And a puncture kit and pump to keep at home if you don't have them already.
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_2104.jpg  

ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 18:57   #6805
Senior - BHPian

406 is for rubber (Dried up after one use). On the second occasion I used this (Image shown). Sorry for the late reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
P.S. Is it Loctite 495? I am not seeing rubber specific glue on their website.
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 01:03   #6806
BHPian

Hey guys,

I ride an 8 year old Scott MTB, she's been doing great so far,. Have explored tons of trails with her. And except for normal regular maintenance, she's just fine.

But now, I am craving for some endurance rides. You know,
the long rides where you have tunnel visions, zipping through the landscapes, completely focused kind of rides.

I did try a road bike, but decided they weren't for me, those seats were really uncomfortable. But I have heard a lot about gravel bikes.
https://cyclefox.com/what-is-a-grave...d-you-buy-one/

Haven't test ridden one yet, was wondering if someone in the forum would throw some personal experience with a gravel bike?

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th January 2022 at 08:06. Reason: typo
Old 28th January 2022, 22:31   #6807
BHPian

Quote:
Cheap and really functional bicycle lubricant? See this post.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...ml#post5168000 (Bicycle drivetrain / chain care, cleaning & lubrication)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
Hey guys,
I did try a road bike, but decided they weren't for me, those seats were really uncomfortable. But I have heard a lot about gravel bikes.
https://cyclefox.com/what-is-a-grave...d-you-buy-one/

Haven't test ridden one yet, was wondering if someone in the forum would throw some personal experience with a gravel bike?
First off, to want a gravel bike because road bike seats are uncomfortable; it is cheaper to replace the seat with a more comfortable one. The harder seats on a road bike are not necessarily uncomfortable. They're firm because you don't want soft tissue squishing around for hours. Analyse your riding habits. If you will ride on gravel atleast 20-40 % of the time, a gravel bike makes sense. Else, a road bike with slightly wider rims will work too. Honestly speaking, a road bike with discs and factory supplied >32c tyres is already a gravel bike.
Best to try out one of the bikes mentioned above and see which one you feel comfortable with. Gravel bikes are a hybrid like but slightly slower on tarmac. So it is far cheaper to pick up a nice MTB for the trails and gravel sections (or for the same price as a middling gravel bike, you can get a super nice MTB)

Gravel bikes-
I've had experience with the Bergamont Grandurance series. They were a decent road-gravel blend. Marin has one, Btwin RC520 works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
Was wondering if anyone here uses cyclo-computers?
A cheap, basic cyclo computer I use (since 4 years) on my road bike. Costs some 350/-.

https://www.amazon.in/AFPIN-Function-Speedometer-Waterproof-Multicolor/dp/B08WX98FZ1/

My GPS (Bryton 100) cost me 4.5k from Singapore. If you really want, pick up a Bryton 330 or so and you can add all the sensors.

The XOSS G+ is nice but if you really want to get started, pick up the basic cyclo comp and use it for sometime until you decide to get the sensors. By then, who knows, you might want to use a GPS like Bryton, Garmin or Wahoo Elemnt..

Last edited by bugatti : 28th January 2022 at 22:48.
bugatti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 16:57   #6808

Hello Bhpian's

I am thinking of getting into the cycling world and would love to have some suggestions from the learned folks at this forum.

My requirements are:
1. comfortable
2. budget friendly(10k-15k)
3. Less on maintenance

Please suggest a good bike for me. my running would be around 10-15km a day at max.
Old 31st January 2022, 18:12   #6809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADFreak8322 View Post
Hello Bhpian's

I am thinking of getting into the cycling world and would love to have some suggestions from the learned folks at this forum.

My requirements are:
1. comfortable
2. budget friendly(10k-15k)
3. Less on maintenance

Please suggest a good bike for me. my running would be around 10-15km a day at max.
Decathlon has some decent Indian-built frame bikes in that range. Both single speed as well as with gears.

In the single speeders, the Rockrider ST20 with a curved rigid fork for 7499 is my choice.

In the geared bikes, the Rockrider ST50 with a suspension fork for 12999 is my choice.

Cheers. Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 31st January 2022 at 18:13.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 14:12   #6810
BHPian

I bought a used electric commute bike, since, in the Netherlands, that is the most wise thing to do. You just cannot do without bikes here. I practically don't see much use of a car within the city limits.
I bought primarily for just the commutes within the city for myself and my wife.

This is the Sparta ION L Electric.
The Bicycles thread-img_20220201_084805.jpg
The Bicycles thread-img_20220201_084647.jpg

It has a rear wheel drive motor and 7 Shimano Nexave gears.
The Bicycles thread-img_20220201_084704.jpg

The original quoted range for a new bike ranges from 40 to 80KM depending on the modes you use. There are 3 - ECO, NORMAL and POWER. The modes activate once you enable them through the switch and start pedaling. A light push is enough to start the motor. The level of assistance of the electric motor is max on the POWER mode.

The arrow buttons switch the power modes.
The Bicycles thread-img_20220201_084738.jpg

Arrow buttons also used to navigate digital display. The clarity is very good(though the below picture doesn't give justice to it) and is easily legible when riding. It gives, among other things, the battery remaining %, speed in kmph, trip time, temperature, lights on, total distance covered, average speed for the trip, etc
The Bicycles thread-img_20220201_084713.jpg

My bike is about 5 years old, and the previous owner seems to have maintained it very well. There are no visible signs of damage. I put it to test and rode it for about 36KM from his place to mine. I was a bit anxious initially because the bane for old electric bikes is the battery range. I started with the battery at 98% Kept it mostly in ECO and a little bit of NORMAL when required. Light pedaling is enough to extract the most on that particular mode. On flats, you will ride at about 20 to 25 kmph. POWER mode is a little faster between 24 to 27kmph. Pushing harder than this is fruitless because it simply won't go faster. These bikes are very heavy(touching almost 30kg), and pedaling harder only harms the battery life in the long run. The last 6 to 7KM, I left it on the POWER mode. Reached home with the battery at 47%.

Quality is exceptional and all parts seem to be built to last. The switches are also of very high quality. The gear switches are button-type and changes are instant.
Also, lights are automatic and switch on and off depending on the surrounding.
The Bicycles thread-img_20220201_084727.jpg

Overall very happy with the bike. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by aneezan : 1st February 2022 at 14:15.
aneezan is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks