Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2022, 11:44   #6901
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

^^never had any issues with them beyond the barking and initial running behind the vehicle. Every single time, the "internet" steps you have mentioned worked perfectly fine for me - irrespective of whether I'm on a cycle or a bike. Some times, I stop and make an action of 'picking' up a stone and that does the job too.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 12:08   #6902
BHPian

I like dogs - but there are a few who just chase me every day while I am cycling. I have realised that if I just slow down rather than peddle faster, they seem to lose interest in a few seconds. They do not seem like they will attack, just chase moving vehicles because it comes naturally to them
akshaymahajan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 10:35   #6903
Senior - BHPian

Attended Decathlon basic bike maintenance workshop. The best part is you can bring your own bike irrespective of brand to the workshop for demo. The workshop was nice to understand few technical bits which i never knew.

Looking forward to advanced training for bike maintenance.
silverado is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 23:44   #6904
BHPian

Hi All, am looking to buy a cycle for my teenage son, have a few questions for the experts on the forum -

1. His height is 5.4' we tried both the 27.5 inch and 29 inch sizes and while the size charts suggest a 27.5 model he felt more comfortable with the 29 one. Is there a disadvantage in buying the bigger size, his usage is limited to 20-30 mins 4-5 days a week within the society.
2. Looks like Firefox has stopped using Shimano sets and only uses micro shift gears now, what's the feedback on microshift?
3. Tried a few bikes from ninety-one, they felt quite smooth, but don't know about their long term reliability, any feedback ?

Any inputs or suggestions on this would be appreciated.
Old 10th May 2022, 13:48   #6905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_nfs View Post
Hi All, am looking to buy a cycle for my teenage son, have a few questions for the experts on the forum -

1. His height is 5.4' we tried both the 27.5 inch and 29 inch sizes and while the size charts suggest a 27.5 model he felt more comfortable with the 29 one. Is there a disadvantage in buying the bigger size, his usage is limited to 20-30 mins 4-5 days a week within the society.
2. Looks like Firefox has stopped using Shimano sets and only uses micro shift gears now, what's the feedback on microshift?
3. Tried a few bikes from ninety-one, they felt quite smooth, but don't know about their long term reliability, any feedback ?

Kids usually like MTB bikes with flashy graphics. For his height even 26 inch cycle will do. Its easier to ride and should be lighter.

Microshift quality is no where near Shimano, but your kid wont notice that.
Ninety-one is a new brand, would advise to stick to brands available at your nearby store only so that service is easily available.
Old 10th May 2022, 23:22   #6906
BANNED

Quote:
For a teenager male child, look at your height, he'll be as tall as, if not, taller than you in a matter of months.
Forget MTBs. The knobby wide tyres add rolling resistance, suspensation forks slow you down and add weight to the cycle. Get a hybrid. Forget the features. You are not buying a mobile or computer. And for a cycle, the CPU is the rider, not the machine.
About this Microshift vs Shimano thing, you can't compare Suzuki with Toyota. The comparision is between Alto and Etios. Suzuki, Toyota, etc are just brands. The brands have several models at several price points, with each model having several iterations. The are at least 7 iterations of the tourney transmission in the market right now. So you are comparing apples and jackfruits.
Size of a cycle is the length of the seat tube, which should be related to your inseam. The length from center of bottom bracket to top of seat tube aka frame size, and top of seat post to top of her toned, aka "top tube effective" should be proportionate to rider height. No Indian brand ever published the accurate geometry of a frame.
The Decathlon Riverside 120 is my favourite. It is out of stock at the moment. Consider Triban RC 100 flat bar or Firefox Rapide, in that order of preference. All in size S for 5 ft 4 in. At ₹ 35 k plus price, in the Avanti Giro, disc brake version, This has 1 x 8 gears, has a very good fork and Microshift Acolyte transmission.

Except for the Rapide, all other models mentioned use a cassette. The cassette is considered better than a free wheel. The cassette is better for reliability, servicing and upgrading.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 10th May 2022 at 23:24.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 08:16   #6907
Senior - BHPian

I'm sorry but my Microshift performs as well as my Shimano. Actually surprised as I've been conditioned to think that non-Shimano parts are bad. But what I do religiously is, after every ride - wipe the bike clean, and lube the chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
About this Microshift vs Shimano thing, you can't compare Suzuki with Toyota. The comparision is between Alto and Etios. Suzuki, Toyota, etc are just brands. The brands have several models at several price points, with each model having several iterations. The are at least 7 iterations of the tourney transmission in the market right now. So you are comparing apples and jackfruits
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 10:28   #6908
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm sorry but my Microshift performs as well as my Shimano. Actually surprised as I've been conditioned to think that non-Shimano parts are bad. But what I do religiously is, after every ride - wipe the bike clean, and lube the chain.
We are not disagreeing on anything. I simply don't have the experience to make an outright authoritative statement on which is better.

I did not mean that microshift OR Shimano is better. Do you get such an impression from my comment? If so, I did not intended it. What I mean is, comparing Mezzo / Marvo and Altus / Acera makes sense, but microshift vs Shimano doesn't. Hope this makes it clear.

And all the models I suggested have MicroShift gears. The flat bar c RC 100, the Rapide, and the Avanti (it comes in a 3 x 7 Altus version, but I suggest the Acolyte one).

I use a Riverside 100 with 1 x 6 set up and another bike with an altus M310 Set up. I don't find any difference in shifting smoothness. I don't go long rides or push my bikes that much - I reach my personal limits before the bikes reach theirs, limiting my ability to make a "this is better than that" statement. .

About you experience - will highly appreciate if you can post how the bike shifts under load - I believe most microshift gears will shift under load, (mine does - but may be because it is only at the rear and the load is not real heavy) but not all Shimanos will. (Mine doesn't - the FD goes out of tune though, theoretically, going to a smaller ring in front is easier than going up a sprocket at the rear). That is lowest derailleur from Microshift on a ₹ 9k bike vs entry + 1 from Shimano on a ₹ 37k bike, and Microshift re wind here.

Maybe, that is experience enough to say "Microshift is better", but people will pillory me.
Old 11th May 2022, 11:12   #6909
Senior - BHPian

I got the impression that you find Microshift not worthy, from that post. The Mezzo is as good as Tourney (Hybrid). I'm only talking about shifting smoothness here, and yes it performs well under load. Shimanos perform well under every condition (So it's difficult for me to choose between the two) - My favourite remains the 105 and that's in another league I feel
Quote:
About you experience - will highly appreciate if you can post how the bike shifts under load
Old 11th May 2022, 19:38   #6910
Senior - BHPian

Bums On The Saddle is delivering used items, (and things missing in the box). First it was the Giro helmet (Rs 4000) with the beak missing. Today, its the Giant under-seat saddle (Rs 3500) which has been used and the attaching part is missing. Has anybody had such an experience with BOTS. Earlier they would not deliver after taking money and make me run around, now I'm going COD (Cash On Delivery)...yet facing the issue. Who are the reliable sellers online?
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_0737.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 11th May 2022 at 19:52.
Old 11th May 2022, 20:33   #6911
Senior - BHPian

For the past month or so, Facebook has been showing me advertisements for car racks from SeaSucker. They caught my attention because they don't require any hitch installation or any roof racks. I have used Thule's bike racks but they were always a pain to install. Anyway, so I started reading online reviews and found that most people were astonished by how well these actually worked!
So, I finally decided that I will buy them and see how they fare. If they fail, I will get an excuse to buy a new bike My preferred store for such shopping is REI, but just for the heck of it, I looked up Amazon as well. Amazon recommended a similar product, but from RockBrothers, which was much cheaper also. So, I started searching online for comparisons between SeaSucker and Rock Brothers. And that led me to this very interesting article about a bicycle bell, created by a company called SpurCycles, run by 2 brothers. Here's the link to the article:
A Tale of Two Bells
Long story short, if it's cheap, then most likely there is a reason for it. You get what you pay for.
I ended up ordering SeaSucker's Talon rack.
Talon - Sea Sucker
Next I will look for the bell from SpurCycles
amitoj is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 21:02   #6912
Distinguished - BHPian

^^@sebring, always found BOTS a bit too pricey for my purchases. Last time I purchased from their online site was last year - no issues faced. Their Bangalore store guys say the online store is managed by a different unit and they have nothing to do with the online store pricing or any other related matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I ended up ordering SeaSucker's Talon rack.
Talon - Sea Sucker
Wow! I mean, wow! That looks good. Can you post an image once you get to use it?
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 23:49   #6913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Microshift quality is no where near Shimano, but your kid wont notice that.
Ninety-one is a new brand, would advise to stick to brands available at your nearby store only so that service is easily available.
Thanks for your response, the gear change on the microshit felt a bit clunky as compared to the Shimano one. Market seems to be flooded with 91 right now, even Reliance has come out with cycles.

Quote:
The Decathlon Riverside 120 is my favourite. It is out of stock at the moment. Consider Triban RC 100 flat bar or Firefox Rapide, in that order of preference. All in size S for 5 ft 4 in. At ₹ 35 k plus price, in the Avanti Giro, disc brake version, This has 1 x 8 gears, has a very good fork and Microshift Acolyte transmission.

Except for the Rapide, all other models mentioned use a cassette. The cassette is considered better than a free wheel. The cassette is better for reliability, servicing and upgrading.
Thanks for your inputs, will try these out too.
Old 14th May 2022, 20:22   #6914
BHPian

Quote:

Quoting my own post.

Looked at a few cycles today, pls let me know if anyone has any feedback / experience with these -

1. Raleigh Gallop - has Shimano Tourney FD-TY500 Front derailleur, Shimano Altus RD-M310 Rear derailleur, Sealed Cartridge Bottom bracket, Shimano Tourney 7-Speed MF-TZ500 Cassette/ Freewheel, 3/32/Prowheel Alloy Crank 24x34x42T Chain, Raleigh Steel Handle bar, Shimano ST-EF-500 3X7 Speed Shifters. Overall not very heavy with good components. Read some reviews on Raleigh and it seems to be a good brand.

2. Hero Octane Springbok - seems to be one of the good brands from Hero, 14 kg weight

3. Contino cycles from TATA - seemed quite light and smooth, but dont know if this is a new brand

4. Montra - i believe this is from Hercules

Which one would you recommend that i go with ?
Old 15th May 2022, 05:44   #6915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quoting my own post.

Which one would you recommend that i go with ?
None. At this price point, please go to Decathlon and shop.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks