Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:09   #7036
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Finally settled on this:
2018 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Red eTAP. It has a few scratches here and there but overall the bike is in pretty good shape.
Congratulations (on two levels - new bike and that too via a pre-owned route).
And you can never go wrong with a Cannondale. The bike looks in great shape - I prefer the simple single color setup of older bikes (it's like the same argument for cars - they never age).

If you don't mind, can you expand more on the experience with 'Pros Closet'? How much did this differ via going the Craiglist or similar options? Any additional hit to the wallet because of any additional services offered?

Edit: Noticed now it has Sram components. How do they fare vis-a-vis equivalent Shimano options? I have never used Sram - but only heard great reviews of them (as against Shimano).

P.s. That rear derailleur looks so funky!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd September 2022 at 09:15.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:44   #7037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Congrats on your new bike .. looks

Btw what are the reasons you prefer rim brakes over disc ?
Not OP but I prefer rim over discs too. The maintenance is easy. You don't need expensive parts to renew the system. And they don't squeak. I have two bikes, one with rim other with hydraulic and I just love how rim brakes feel vis a vis discs. Of course the rim brakes are Ultegra spec and discs are Sora but the difference is vast even after bleeding the brakes. It just can't match the bite of rim brakes. They do have upper hand in the wet but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. For my next bike I will take extra effort to buy one with rim brakes.
amol4184 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:21   #7038
BANNED

Question - I remember the first few bicycles I owned in childhood had serial numbers on the frame - this was a way to identify a cycle if stolen. (I am talking about the era where private cars were scarce and mostly ambassadors and Fiats Padminis). My latest bike purchase is a lovely new all alloy beauty and I am paranoid about it getting stolen. I searched the frame for markings and a serial number but cant find any. Is this the norm?
In case of theft and recovery how does one prove ownership when the opposing party claims it is their own bike and my stolen bike is somewhere else not in their posession?
Old 2nd September 2022, 12:23   #7039
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankshekharr View Post
Hi admin- can we have a section on "cycles" in the classifieds .
Already there ! You can list it on our Classifieds under Motorbikes > Other > Bicycle.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 13:07   #7040
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
. I searched the frame for markings and a serial number but cant find any. Is this the norm?
In case of theft and recovery how does one prove ownership when the opposing party claims it is their own bike and my stolen bike is somewhere else not in their posession?
If it is there, it will be under the bottom bracket. Turn the bike upside down to find out. Good dealers mention it in the bill which you can attach with the FIR. Else, make a pencil embossed sketch of it - the way you do for engine and chassis numbers for vehicle registration. Keep it will preserved.

Some brands provide for warranty registration, and if your brand has it, you'll need to enter the number on the brand site. But this registration thingie is usually used by brands to track fake frames, though.

Hope you find this exercise useless.
Old 2nd September 2022, 21:14   #7041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Congrats on your new bike .. looks

Btw what are the reasons you prefer rim brakes over disc ?
Thanks! As for why rim brakes, in addition to all the valid points that Amol has listed, I had following reasons:
1. This is going to be a fair weather bike for me. Since I wont be riding this bike in rain or snow or mud, I felt rim brakes would be sufficient.
2. I read somewhere (and it seemed to make sense) that the frames that are built for disc brakes have a very stiff fork because all the stopping power is being applied near the center of the wheel. So, frames with rim brakes have a better ride quality.
3. I like the looks of rim brakes over disc brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Congratulations (on two levels - new bike and that too via a pre-owned route).
And you can never go wrong with a Cannondale. The bike looks in great shape - I prefer the simple single color setup of older bikes (it's like the same argument for cars - they never age).

If you don't mind, can you expand more on the experience with 'Pros Closet'? How much did this differ via going the Craiglist or similar options? Any additional hit to the wallet because of any additional services offered?

Edit: Noticed now it has Sram components. How do they fare vis-a-vis equivalent Shimano options? I have never used Sram - but only heard great reviews of them (as against Shimano).

P.s. That rear derailleur looks so funky!
Thanks.
My experience with TPC was quite good. I mentioned that in a post below. In a nutshell, you pay a little extra for excellent service and some peace of mind. Plus, if you have very specific requirements like I did, its unlikely you'll find what you are looking for locally.
I cant really compare SRAM wtih Shimano because the SRAM Red on this bike is equivalent of Shimano Dura Ace and the best Shimano groupset I have used is 105. I did take this bike for a quick spin and the shifting was buttery smooth. I am still waiting for pedals, shoes and an appointment for bike fit before I really start using this bike.

The derailleur looks funky probably because it is electronic. A first for me!

So, now I have 3 bikes:
1. A 1980s Bianchi with steel frame (steel is real, right?) and Campagnolo shifters
2. A 2016 Specialized Diverge with alloy frame and Shimano 105
3. A 2018 Cannondale with carbon frame and SRAM Red eTAP
I think that covers most of the range

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
For my next bike I will take extra effort to buy one with rim brakes.
Good luck! You'll probably have to buy used because there are not too many companies making road bikes with rim brakes anymore.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 21:29   #7042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Avinash bhai,

Don't delude yourself TBH. You can stick to diets. It is hard but not impossible. Been there, done that in a similar role till life threw a roller coaster my way. Stuck at 88 kg since May due to job shift and new job load and socializing

But 100 to 88? 81 days flat - Jan 2022 to May 2022.
Attachment 2353543

Its not easy but frankly WAY WAY easier than hardcore sales, sir!

What am I on? LCHF one meal a day. I hope to get to 80 shortly after Diwali.

IMHO its like this - folks who are vegetarians do not eat non veg because they are entertaining clients? You need to find your balance but outside of any cheat snacking, you should get to 80s easy - you may take an year for the losses someone would rack up in 2-3 months.

But then, weightloss, like life itself, is not a race!

PS: The extra calories you'd incur in entertaining clients, Ride them off. Buy a cycle trainer and Zwift it. Buy the Cult Fit CultPassLive (our company gives it free to every employee) - I have logged 28 workouts in the last 25 days. I'm off to Goa today but going to do my workouts regardless.

Let us reach the seventies, together, brother!:
Nice to hear from you bro after a long time. Great to see you getting fitter by the day. Kudos!

Well, I know, I know, I am full of excuses. LOL!

Sadly, I need an excuse not to exercise but, that is changing fast. I have decided to adopt an active lifestyle that hopefully will help in my weight loss journey. That journey has already began. Yesterday, I hit 100 miles of riding in 7-days.

Check this out :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...ml#post5390836 (My Priority Current e-BIKE a.k.a White Lightening Review | A journey to a Fit Life!)

Also, I’m changing my client meeting style. Now it’s golf meetings than dinner meetings. A 18-hole game and then dinner will keep the calories at bay.

70kgs is too thin for my 6.1 frame. I would love to drop and maintain 80 kgs from my current 110kgs bulk.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 12:39   #7043

Hi everyone, over the years I've learnt some really valuable stuff from reading all the advice given by all the veterans on this forum! Today I have a question of my own that I'm looking for some help on:

I was one of those who was bitten by the cycling bug during Covid. I bought myself a Riveside 900 hybrid from Decathlon and I happily cycle 5-6 times a week, and I've never felt better! The other day i rode my wife's cycle, which has 700x28 tyres (mine has 700x38) and the ride difference was very stark! My question is- can I replace my 700x38s with 700x28s? I use my bike only on paved roads ( of course Indian roads ), so i really don't need wide tyres. Is there anything else I should know or be looking out for? I'd be really grateful for your advice.
SushilJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 14:44   #7044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilJ View Post
My question is- can I replace my 700x38s with 700x28s? I use my bike only on paved roads ( of course Indian roads ), so i really don't need wide tyres. Is there anything else I should know or be looking out for? I'd be really grateful for your advice.
I may be wrong but i think how narrow you can go depends on the rim width of your wheels as well.

But having said that, the narrow tires often give the impression that you are going faster than your actual speed due to the road buzz they create, whereas the wider tires appear slower than they actually are due to the lack of vibrations. Have you considered putting on some smooth rolling wide tires instead? Maybe go down to 32 instead?
Old 7th September 2022, 14:47   #7045

thanks, that's something I haven't thought of! I'll look into that
Old 7th September 2022, 15:57   #7046
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
thanks, that's something I haven't thought of! I'll look into that
If you go down to 28, you might have to change your tubes too. Your existing tubes for 38 most probably would not fit a 28 (but might/should fit a 32 or a 35) - do check that up too.

Also the ride "feel" you got could be a mix of different reasons - condition of the bikes, the size and frame design, seat comfort and a few others. You could also try a slightly different option to get a better understanding of the thinner tires - if both your bikes are 700c wheels and similar brakes (for e.g. both have rim brakes), then you could potentially swap your wife's wheel on your cycle and ride it for a while to see if it suits you better. Your wife's tire being thinner should be easy to sit the tire wheel in your bike. However if your bike has disc brakes, then this might not be a easy matter to attempt this.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 7th September 2022 at 16:09.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 20:35   #7047
BANNED

Quote:
other day i rode my wife's cycle, which has 700x28 tyres (mine has 700x38) and the ride difference was very stark! My question is- can I replace my 700x38s with 700x28s?
The speed increase is most likely due to the rigid fork (I presume) on your wife's cycle. The suspension absorbs up a lot of energy slowing you down. The riverside 500 comes with a fork without lock out. Having a lockout wouldv disable the suspension functionality.

The gear ratios also makes a vast difference. The riverside 500 has a 36 T chainring. A 44 ur 50/36 T crankset helps you go faster.

The riverside 500 rims take 28 mm tyre. But due to above reasons, there won't be much difference. Other things being equal, a thinner tyre definitely speeds up things. And with same the size, tyres specifications matter. The tpi count, the rubber softness (softer, the better), pressure, etc and the tread pattern matter.

Moving to a rigid fork with disc mounts, and adding a derailleur and 2 speed crankset (meant for 9 speed - that'll be sora level) will make things different. changing the cycle will be simpler though.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 21:45   #7048
BHPian

Quote:
I bought myself a Riveside 900 hybrid from Decathlon and I happily cycle 5-6 times a week, and I've never felt better! The other day i rode my wife's cycle, which has 700x28 tyres (mine has 700x38) and the ride difference was very stark! My question is- can I replace my 700x38s with 700x28s?
As per the Tech Spec given on Decathlon's website the Riverside 900 has 21-622 wheels. So, you can easily mount 28-622 tyres on them. As suggested you'll have to get new tubes as well.

The current tyres on your riverside more of Gravel tyres with Kevlar, hence would definitely be very heavy. Plus, the thread patterns is more gravel oriented.

You haven't mentioned your wife's bike make and model, so can compare the weight etc. The riverside is at 13 kgs, with chainging to 28 road tyres and thinner tubes, you can easily look forward to about 800gm to a kg reduction.

I'm no expert, but if I may suggest, you can try out Ralson's road tyres. About 100-150 gms heavier than those fast rolling imported tyres. But good enough for the Indian roads. I've been using 25 mm on my Triban for nearly 4000 km and I've ridden them on all sorts of roads, including tracks in paddy fields and sandy service tracks along irrigation canals. Not a single puncture till date. On the road, they are not that slow either, you can easily maintain 30-35 kmph on them.

As for the for fork as someone mentioned, you have a lockout and with 36x11 gearing you can easily achieve speed above 30 kmph by keeping your cadence just over 70 rpm. You can check out the calculation here. https://ritzelrechner.de/

PS:- 2 yrs back, I had changed my MTB's from 2.1" knobbly tyres to 1.5" with non knobbly pattern and I could comfortable ride much farther and faster.
Junaid42465 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 20:37   #7049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Kids Cycle:

I went ahead and ordered 16" Cycle in Cyan color. We liked retro look in the pictures. Apart from this the only other bikes I liked were the frog ones. My daughter and i are both eagerly waiting for the cycle to Land.
Hi, So how has the experience of using this bike has been so far? I am unable to reach their website though.
Old 11th September 2022, 10:18   #7050

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. I think the best thing for me is to after a while move to a road bike I remember Doc at some time telling us in this forum that a hybrid bike was a stepping stone to a road bike. Looks like I'm on that journey!
SushilJ is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks