Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2022, 12:39   #7051
BANNED

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Hi, So how has the experience of using this bike has been so far? I am unable to reach their website though.
They are a brand that provides reasonably good products built around 17 inch framesfor the average built (5' 2" to 5' 8") adult. They claim to have introduced 18 inch frame for some models, but have not seen in shops. Don't recall having an online purchase facility on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilJ View Post
Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. I think the best thing for me is to after a while move to a road bike I remember Doc at some time telling us in this forum that a hybrid bike was a stepping stone to a road bike. Looks like I'm on that journey!
Good decision. Do be very picky and un compromising about sizing and fit. It will take around 3 wha to get used to the drop bar. Frame reach, aka to tube effective length is just as important as seat tube length. It is also rider / stance specific.
Old 13th September 2022, 15:47   #7052
Senior - BHPian

Too Many Close Calls
Such articles are very discouraging, but it is sadly true. I have met so many people here who used to cycle but have given up riding outdoors.
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 10:06   #7053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Too Many Close Calls
Such articles are very discouraging, but it is sadly true. I have met so many people here who used to cycle but have given up riding outdoors.
Some people I know just ride trails now, my bike mechanic for example. They take their bikes hitched on cars, ride the trail and come back home in cars. I did that twice but the area I ride is still pretty good around bike riders. No aggression as such that I noticed. Hope it does not change. My friends living in Texas wonder how do I ride bikes on streets, it appears they have it bad in that area.

One thing though, having independent bike lanes doesn't help much. I ride even beyond that - on the shoulders where it is possible just to be safe. On my regular route which has bike lane 95% of the time, lot of people ride on the sidewalk and don't risk riding on bike lanes. It kinda beats the purpose of having bike lanes but fear of that 1 out 100 aggressive maniac is enough to deter people.
An interesting discussion on Reddit was encouraging cycle riders to take the entire lane/ ride in the middle rather that on the side - it apparently is safer. I simply can't imagine doing that even with bright tail lamp, bright clothes and all.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 11:12   #7054
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is so true! Riding on the road is getting more and more nerve-wracking, so much so that I have put a hold on the idea of getting a second bike (road bike). Just in the early morning, it feels safe to ride on the road, all other times I confine to trails/park connectors, which are normally shared paths between walkers/joggers and cyclists.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 14:27   #7055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Some people I know just ride trails now, my bike mechanic for example. They take their bikes hitched on cars, ride the trail and come back home in cars. I did that twice but the area I ride is still pretty good around bike riders. No aggression as such that I noticed. Hope it does not change. My friends living in Texas wonder how do I ride bikes on streets, it appears they have it bad in that area.
This is also the reason why gravel riding is such a craze now, since most of it happens on trails that rarely see any traffic.

I have also read horror stories about Texas. Do you ride in less populated areas? I have found that the more crowded the area is, the more reckless the drivers are around cyclists.

Quote:
One thing though, having independent bike lanes doesn't help much. I ride even beyond that - on the shoulders where it is possible just to be safe. On my regular route which has bike lane 95% of the time, lot of people ride on the sidewalk and don't risk riding on bike lanes. It kinda beats the purpose of having bike lanes but fear of that 1 out 100 aggressive maniac is enough to deter people.
A bike lane without physical separation from moving traffic is more dangerous than riding on the road. It gives a false sense of protection to the driver as well as the rider. But sidewalk is a big no no. I prefer to ride on the right wheel track of the road.

Quote:
An interesting discussion on Reddit was encouraging cycle riders to take the entire lane/ ride in the middle rather that on the side - it apparently is safer. I simply can't imagine doing that even with bright tail lamp, bright clothes and all.
Ah the controversial take-the-lane approach. I do that only when there isn't enough space for a vehicle to overtake me safely or if I am approaching a stop sign or traffic light. But I always use hand signals and check my mirror before doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
. Just in the early morning, it feels safe to ride on the road, all other times I confine to trails/park connectors, which are normally shared paths between walkers/joggers and cyclists.
Sunday early morning rides are the best!
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 19:40   #7056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
all other times I confine to trails/park connectors, which are normally shared paths between walkers/joggers and cyclists.
The joggers, dog walkers and regular pedestrians are another annoyance. Many of these guys are on earphones, or on phones walking like mindless zombies oblivious to chaos happening around them.
On 15th August when I did my first 100 here I passed a particularly crowded trail. I saw a lady and dog walking lazily and lady had a phone, possibly earphones. Her dog immediately picked up the sound of crunching gravel and became alert but I rang the bell as a practice anyhow which didn't deter the person.
As I was passing them, the dog pounced and tried to ambush me - I had an inkling looking at his body language so I was as far left as I could so his attack ended mid way through. And his leash was not just held in hand but wrapped around lady's waist great measure if dog walking is a chore and obligation to you.
But it was scary. The jolt was enough to wake her up and she started shouting, not sure on me or her dog.

Quote:
I have also read horror stories about Texas. Do you ride in less populated areas? I have found that the more crowded the area is, the more reckless the drivers are around cyclists.
I'm in a small town, where even downtown is lazy. There are 3 major roads connecting to I-5 N/S, 405N/S which I avoid as far as I can. My biggest problem is hills and walkers wearing headphones, traffic is okay.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 21:17   #7057
BHPian

Been cycling since a really young age. But then after a gap of almost 20 years I finally managed to get my hands on a basic cycle. Bought it before the pandemic but then couldn't ride it for almost a year or so. Got the seat changed to a gel type seat bought from Mr Diy which is one of the most comfortable cycle saddles I've ever used.
Gives all the expensive ones a good run for their money at less than half the cost. Added the new mudguards recently along with the handle bar extensions. I now cycle at night almost every alternate day from Juhu to Bandra. Here are a few pics.
The Bicycles thread-img_20220912_001200.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20220912_001142.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20220912_001205.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20220912_001221.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20220912_001233.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20220912_001227.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20220912_001119.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20220912_001132.jpg
raycers_honda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 21:51   #7058
Senior - BHPian

Any thoughts on building a bike ground up from open mold CF frames from China?

I found a 2016 gravel bike with 80% Ultegra groupset and remaining 105 at a really, REALLY good price. So much so that it is worth buying just for the groupset and discard the frame. Even the wheels are good.
Now, the frame is 6061 alloy. And whole thing comes in at 9.88 kg before the pedals. Honestly 9.88 kg isn't bad but winter is coming and my hands are itching for an indoor project as the days become cold and dark. Enter the open mold frame makers. There are many Chinese manufacturers that produce CF frames for reputed name brands who then sell those at eye watering premiums. Some notable and proven manufacturers are Carbonda, Velo, Yoeleo among others.
A particular gravel frame from Velobuild has caught my eye. The idea is to have this frame delivered (painted to my liking no less) and then disintegrate the AL gravel bike and implant Ultegra bits on this Velo CF frame.
If my math works out, I would have a 8.2 kg gravel bike with top notch components that's about USD 3.5k cheaper than similar name brand western bike company.

Thoughts? While we are there, what do you guys consider a good color scheme? Please suggest some single or two tone color ways. I am leaning towards something brighter as opposed to muted/murdered black theme that seems to be the rage now a days. Thanks!

Last edited by amol4184 : 19th September 2022 at 21:53.
Old 20th September 2022, 10:02   #7059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any thoughts on building a bike ground up from open mold CF frames from China?

I found a 2016 gravel bike with 80% Ultegra groupset and remaining 105 at a really, REALLY good price. So much so that it is worth buying just for the groupset and discard the frame. Even the wheels are good.
And I'm off to a good start albeit with a minor hiccup. The for sale ad originally mentioned "super light carbon wheels" and the OEM wheels as extras. The carbon wheels were what had caught my attention in the first place. They were unknown branded but looked great and owner just said they are from Ali express.

Before I could make the deal and reach seller's home, someone else offered to buy just those CF wheels and owner agreed. When I reached to pick up the bike owner apologized and slashed $100 from the price and threw in a unused CF saddle! All in all not bad for a top notch Shimano groupset. I paid $200.

Came home and reassembled the bike (it was all dismantled) and to my surprise everything just worked perfectly except rear wheel which is out of tune but not severely. It even came with LOOK 4x4 clip less egg-beater pedals and a WTB saddle.
I had rarely ridden Ultegra bike before and this was the first time I went on a longish ride. Boy, is it smooth! It's even more buttery than 105 on my other bike. I can't imagine how nice latest gen Ultegra / DA would be. Mine is from 2016, so not exactly cutting edge.

The previous owner has also converted the bike into 1x11 to be more suitable for hard core gravel riding and handed over the Ultegra FD that seems brand new.

Now what remains is a CF frame from China. I have sent a few enquiries to Carbonda, Yoeleo and Velo and waiting for their response on customs and other fees. Also found two color schemes that I'm liking but not yet finalized.

The Bicycles thread-20220919_184334.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20220919_184344.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20220919_184407.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20220919_194956.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20220919_194918.jpg
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 10:41   #7060
BHPian

Guys, I need your suggestions as I am considering buying a cycle. I had a Hercules turbo-drive MTB gearless cycle during my schooldays, and it served me well till I was 18. During college, I never felt a need to buy a cycle and preferred walking over cycling.

But recently after riding the classic Hercules Roadster for a few days I started feeling the itch to buy a new cycle and go cycling to places nearby. Hence after finalizing my budget to around Rs.20K, I set up hunting the models which might suit me.

I am 6'2'' tall and for my height, I would need one with 29'' wheels and a frame size of 21''(19'' and above). Also, I am yet to finalize whether I would need an MTB or a Hybrid. But due to my height constraint I have limited options.

I checked out the Firefox Rapide and Firefox Meteor. I liked both but they are slightly above my budget. I also checked out a pre-owned Schnell Sierra 1.0, which the owner hasn't used much and is willing to sell at around 20K. I also liked some models from ninety-one cycles, but they mostly have a frame size of 18.5''.

I am confused with all these points in my mind and hence need your suggestions. I am new to geared cycles and I am also not sure whether I should opt for a geared one or save some thousands on a non-geared one.
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:03   #7061
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
Hence after finalizing my budget to around Rs.20K, I set up hunting the models which might suit me.

I am 6'2'' tall and for my height, I would need one with 29'' wheels and a frame size of 21''(19'' and above). Also, I am yet to finalize whether I would need an MTB or a Hybrid. But due to my height constraint I have limited options.

I checked out the Firefox Rapide and Firefox Meteor. I liked both but they are slightly above my budget. I also checked out a pre-owned Schnell Sierra 1.0, which the owner hasn't used much and is willing to sell at around 20K. I also liked some models from ninety-one cycles, but they mostly have a frame size of 18.5''.

I am confused with all these points in my mind and hence need your suggestions. I am new to geared cycles and I am also not sure whether I should opt for a geared one or save some thousands on a non-geared one.
Welcome to cycling. Your info about frame sizing is partly right. But what is relevant is the frame size, and not the wheel size. You need a frame with 53 cm long seat tube - measured from the center of the bottom bracket to top of the seat tube. The distance from saddle to head tube - aka "effective top tube length" - is proportionate to this, so merely adjusting the seat post / saddle height won't help. Firefox bikes' size for you n is 53 cm, or 21 inch, not 19.

Schnell, again, has only 19.5 frames, AFAIK.

Your choice at that budget is limited to Triban RC 100 flat bar version and Firefox hybrids. If your budget is inflexible, at least be kind to yourself and do searching the web & that will only confuse to no end.

If you can go to ₹ 35k +, consider polygon path 2 or 3,: Trek FX 2, Giant Escape, Bergamont helix 1.5, Scott sub cross 50 and Avanti Giro Fm1. L size frame in all models - check the size marking on the frame before billing. Especially with Firefox. Some dealers who provide service support to enthu riders,may source an Australia brand named Reid for you.

I don't expect anybody to have your size hybrid in stock. And there are horror stories of people misrepresenting frame sizes and telling prospects to throw their legs across the saddle and declare "it is best for you". That is the equivalent of making a person needing size 11 shoes to wear size 8 without trying the laces.

Have the patience to wait for the right size frame.

Apart from the four decathlon stores and around 15 dealers, in Kerala, others are unlikely to bother providing you the correct information, let alone stock the right sized model.

So, wish you the strength and patience in living through the frustration of being a tall rider in a land of 5'7" ers.

And coming from an MTB - roadster experience, allow yourself 10-20 rides to get used to the gears, and the low efforts. Make sure to but a pump with a gauge. You'll need 45-50+ psi pressure in tyres - probably more, depending on your weight.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:49   #7062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Welcome to cycling. Your info about frame sizing is partly right. But what is relevant is the frame size, and not the wheel size. You need a frame with 53 cm long seat tube - measured from the center of the bottom bracket to top of the seat tube....

Schnell, again, has only 19.5 frames, AFAIK.

If you can go to ₹ 35k +...
Thanks a lot for the extensive reply. I had a very hard time convincing my parents to allow me to buy a cycle worth Rs.25K. They are of the opinion that the money I invest on it is just for leisure and not for a purpose, and it is better to invest that on a bike. Also, as they know my character, they are of the opinion that the current enthusiasm that I now show will gradually start waning and thus the money invested may not be that worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I don't expect anybody to have your size hybrid in stock. And there are horror stories of people misrepresenting frame sizes and telling prospects to throw their legs across the saddle and declare "it is best for you"....

Apart from the four decathlon stores and around 15 dealers, in Kerala, others are unlikely to bother providing you the correct information, let alone stock the right sized model...

And coming from an MTB - roadster experience, allow yourself 10-20 rides to get used to the gears, and the low efforts. Make sure to but a pump with a gauge. You'll need 45-50+ psi pressure in tyres - probably more, depending on your weight.
The store near me, Murali Cycle Mart- Karunagappally is a large one with extensive collection and people come from far away to purchase. I inspected the Meteor with the 53cms frame and understood that it was the one suited for my height.

Also considering the budget and the fact that I am newbie, how about I start with the Ninety-one Black Arrow: Product link. It has a 21'' frame option and comes under Rs.15K. What's your opinion about a 7speed geared cycle vs 21 speed geared one.

Thanks.

Last edited by RR96 : 23rd September 2022 at 12:51.
Old 23rd September 2022, 17:38   #7063
BANNED

Quote:
I inspected the Meteor with the 53cms frame and understood that it was the one suited for my height.

Also considering the budget and the fact that I am newbie, how about I start with the Ninety-one Black Arrow: Product link. It has a 21'' frame option and comes under Rs.15K. What's your opinion about a 7speed geared cycle vs 21 speed geared one.
Only result of "I got a cheaper model because I'm not sure if I'll ride" approach is that your fears come true faster. There is this thing called efficiency. The ability of a machine to put out as much as the input. In case of bicycles, the input comes from you, and you'll get fed up once the output does not match the input. The weight of the machine and gear ratios plus. Hind and bottom brackets matter here.

I have a ₹ 9k cycle. And a ₹ 34 k cycle. The ride difference is much more than the difference between a 3 lakh mini hatch back and a 22 lakh SUV.

In particular, the rapide will give you 48/38/28 teeth gear ratios in the front. The Firefox web site does not mention ratios for the crankset on the Meteor. But on their Road Runner Pro, it is same as on the rapide. Look at the the bikes specifications closely. I can't figure out Why Firefox has the Meteor while the Road Runner models are there, Unless its cranks are smaller - means you go slower on the Meteor than on the rapide or Road Runner. the rapide, meteor, the ninety one, Road runner, etc all have a 14-28 T free wheel at rear. And except the Rapide, will weigh ~13 kg or 15 kg for the 91. The rapide is 12.x kg.

There is a reason people spend six figure prices for models weighing below 10 kg.

You get what you pay for, and you definitely won't regret the rapide given your budget. Of you insist on the Meteor, look at the gear ratios and ensure that it has a lock out suspension. Without lock out, avoid it. Trust me on that. You don't need a suspension in your place, AFAICT.

There is a good cycling community that uses aluminium and carbon frame road bikes with 25 mm wide tyres there. Search for QEC on FB and you might find them.

10-20 km on the Meteor or 8-10 km on that 91 will likely exhaust you, but with the Rapide, you'll still be good after a 30 km ride.

There is a good cycling community that uses aluminium and carbon frame road bikes with 25 mm wide tyres there. Search for QEC on FB and you might find them.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 00:16   #7064
Senior - BHPian

BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is right. You will wear out of a cheapo heavy bike with bottom of the barrel components quickly and lose interest. Start with a better bike like Triban RC100 FB and that new found interest you have will multiply.

RC100 is a fantastic hybrid bike with a surprisingly lightweight frame that cannot be matched by anyone in the same price range. I did extensive research on it and the only brand with similar frame was something called Trifox, I am not able to recall exactly. I went with Triban and found out that it is an amazing bike. I put on about 6k kilometers on it before selling.

Wholeheartedly recommend the bike and don't forget it comes with all the might of Decathlon should anything go wrong. My wheels were replaced free of cost no questions asked and one time they sent spokes to my home, again free of cost because I lived quite far from nearest Deca store.

I am 6'1'' and size L or 56 fit me fine. I feel it should fit you well too, if not try 58/XL. When in doubt always go smaller than larger. As a beginner, no matter how lucrative front suspension bikes look, avoid. The suspension on cheap bikes is just poor and adds nothing but weight. The comfort provided by these forks is equivalent to a good fork without suspension not to mention added expense to maintain those.

Quote:
Guys, I need your suggestions as I am considering buying a cycle.
amol4184 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 12:59   #7065
BHPian

Hi all, I made a major blunder while purchasing a new bicycle. I bought an MTB instead of a road bicycle in a hurry, and now I can't return it. My primary use for it is commute to office and to the gym, and when I need to go to the supermarket. I find that it is hard to pedal the MTB (because of the 2" tyres?). It's a full suspension bike from Triad called Triad M2 Pro.

Any ideas what I can do now?
vedirah is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks