Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2022, 13:36   #7066
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Any experience or feedback on this bicycle subscription service: https://gro.club/

They seem to be making huge promises for a very low price - free bicycle upgrade, free maintenance et al.
Old 26th September 2022, 13:53   #7067
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedirah View Post
Any ideas what I can do now?
Curb your losses and sell it as early as possible; at a loss for sure. Full suspension bikes are for those doing trails and mountain rides (there's a reason it's called MTB). Most of your local mechanics won't even know how to do the proper servicing of full suspension bikes. Plus this is one of those numerous local brands made with chinese knock-offs/parts which I wouldn't give too much confidence on quality of parts.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 21:03   #7068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Hi, So how has the experience of using this bike has been so far? I am unable to reach their website though.
Sorry for the delayed reply mate. It serves its primary purpose of usage within my society compound. It is compact and does not take much space. Except while transporting from the store to home, I am yet to fold it.

I personally would have preferred a harder seat though. I was used to the Fuji sportiff 1.3 seat.
Old 5th October 2022, 08:18   #7069
Senior - BHPian

Learned something new over the past few days as I wrenched a few things on my bike.

1. Hydraulic brake bleeding is a messy, painful job and if you are unlucky enough you might even need a system specific kit.
2. Once the brake pads have even a thimble of mineral oil, they are ruined and will squeal like a pig being slaughtered.
3. Disc brakes behave differently when hanging in the air on repair stand, and moment the bike touches the ground its a different story.
4. There is no all-in-one bottom bracket removal tool. BBs are possibly the worst standards in cycling industry, made complicated under the name of progress by companies.
5. Latest front derailleurs do not have screws that you can undo to insert chain thru them. You have to break the chain.
6. No oil, lubricant, wax, grease last as long as they say on the label.

A repair stand that suspends your bike in air is a must for any home wrenching. I have been making do with a cheapo stand until now. Finally ordered a proper repair stand and boy does it make a difference.
Old 6th October 2022, 12:07   #7070
Senior - BHPian

I understand that you need a stand that will tilt the bike front wheels up to do proper bleeding. Also, carbon frame / light weight aluminium frames are better off on a stand that holds the bike by the bottom bracket plus dropouts. Hope you got the right type of stand.
Old 7th October 2022, 21:07   #7071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I understand that you need a stand that will tilt the bike front wheels up to do proper bleeding. Also, carbon frame / light weight aluminium frames are better off on a stand that holds the bike by the bottom bracket plus dropouts. Hope you got the right type of stand.
Its this. Worked well on cf and alloy but isn't heavy-duty with cable pulley like in the shops. It feels more comfortable holding lightweight Cannondale in the background than the Diamondback that is there on it. The arm with big red clamp rotates around its axle so you can tilt in any angle. Besides it can be removed and attached in vertical orientation so that it can grip seatpost in easier manner. The actual part that bites the frame is rubbery foam but I cut a microfiber liner to the shape that I am going to put on underside of the clamp.
The Bicycles thread-20220930_175338.jpg
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 01:14   #7072
Senior - BHPian

In the excitement of trying out new foldable nozzle can of WD-40 I may have sprayed some on semi new brake pads at the rear that I put in a while ago. Went for a ride in our little cul-de-sac and braking power is way down. Without scientific test it is hard to say but I am willing to wedger 50% biting force is gone.

Assuming that a long ride might wear off WD-40 from the pads I went on two 45~km rides back to back and still no dice. Braking remains weak sauce. Thankfully front brake pads have nicely sitted-in and give fantastic bite.

Planning to sand off top layer of the pads with super fine Dremel pad. Achieving a perfectly flat surface with Dremel sounds near impossible but I will report what happens in a day or two.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 04:49   #7073
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
In the excitement of trying out new foldable nozzle can of WD-40 I may have sprayed some on semi new brake pads at the rear that I put in a while ago. Went for a ride in our little cul-de-sac and braking power is way down. Without scientific test it is hard to say but I am willing to wedger 50% biting force is gone.

Planning to sand off top layer of the pads with super fine Dremel pad. Achieving a perfectly flat surface with Dremel sounds near impossible but I will report what happens in a day or two.
Please wash them with copious amount of soap and water, dry them thoroughly. You may not need to sand them at all. Has worked for many.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 11:38   #7074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Please wash them with copious amount of soap and water, dry them thoroughly. You may not need to sand them at all. Has worked for many.
Man I hope that works. I took the pads out today and wiped them clean, its hard to say what is wrong with them but they do look a bit darker than I remember them to be. Will wash with a strong detergent first thing tomorrow and see if it makes a difference else I go the sanding route.
Old 18th October 2022, 05:09   #7075
Senior - BHPian

After 2 years and 10k+ kms on my RC 120 with Triban protect tyres without facing a puncture, and a further 3k kms on Scott addict with Schwalbe One tyres again puncture free.

Last week luck deserted me with 2 punctures.

Installed tyre liners in the hope that the incidence will reduce.
Old 18th October 2022, 05:46   #7076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
After 2 years and 10k+ kms on my RC 120 with Triban protect tyres without facing a puncture, and a further 3k kms on Scott addict with Schwalbe One tyres again puncture free.

Installed tyre liners in the hope that the incidence will reduce.
My luck deserted me when I sold my Triban. Almost 6k of horrible roads and had one flat altogether on it. Those were good tires.

Came here to Seattle and at just over 1500km on Schwalbe Lugano I have had 3 flats. Switched those to Gatorskins and haven't had a flat since. Fingers crossed. Their rolling resistance feels slightly higher but I'm okay to make some sacrifice to prevent punctures. Next step for me would be to go tubeless route.

Last edited by amol4184 : 18th October 2022 at 05:48.
Old 18th October 2022, 13:09   #7077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Try going upto 90% of the max PSI your tyre can take.
The higher the pressure reduces chances of punctures by tiny objects.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 19:04   #7078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My luck deserted me when I sold my Triban. Almost 6k of horrible roads and had one flat altogether on it. Those were good tires.

Came here to Seattle and at just over 1500km on Schwalbe Lugano I have had 3 flats. Switched those to Gatorskins and haven't had a flat since. Fingers crossed. Their rolling resistance feels slightly higher but I'm okay to make some sacrifice to prevent punctures. Next step for me would be to go tubeless route.
I agree to the ruggedness of the Triban, but fellow Team bhp member Aneez had repeated punctures on his RC 120.

Have fitted Rhino Dillos tire liner. Almost 80 gms each and I feel rolling resistance has increased.

I think tubeless is the only way forward.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 21:23   #7079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Man I hope that works. I took the pads out today and wiped them clean, its hard to say what is wrong with them but they do look a bit darker than I remember them to be. Will wash with a strong detergent first thing tomorrow and see if it makes a difference else I go the sanding route.
There’s something called brake cleaner for motorcycles. Get it and use that. Will remove all the lube. Just spray on.

Then choose an empty street and do some hard braking spurts at speed to bed the pads in again.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 23:56   #7080

Hello , i am confused between Raleigh strada elite and giant escape 3. Is the lockout suspension at this price really useful or is it a fancy feature. I intend to start participating in brevets and similar events. I do have to ride over broken tarmac and quite big potholes. My budget cannot exceed 35k.
How is the build quality of strada elite ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks