Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2022, 09:38   #6916
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
None. At this price point, please go to Decathlon and shop.
Thanks, any reasons for this ? I also saw the Decathlon cycles, all of them have the microshift system that I have no experience with and from comments on this forum seems to be a bit inferior to Shimano.
Old 15th May 2022, 09:52   #6917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_nfs View Post
Thanks, any reasons for this ? I also saw the Decathlon cycles, all of them have the microshift system that I have no experience with and from comments on this forum seems to be a bit inferior to Shimano.
Quality of components, price, warranty coverage, spares, no questions asked 90 day return policy.

I think unless your kid is going to compete in endurance races please dont overthink this so much like you are buying yourself a niche sports car. The cycle will probably be trashed in under a year considering how kids use anything these days.

Just go to Decathlon, and get him to try everything out and buy what he likes. End of story.

Its a different matter altogether if you are buying yourself one and have a lakh to spare.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 10:57   #6918
BANNED

Quote:
Looked at a few cycles today, pls let me know if anyone has any feedback / experience with these -

Which one would you recommend that i go with ?
At this price point, nothing to beat decathlon. A flat bar Triban RC 100 (below 11 kg) or Riverside 120 (14.5 kg) would be far better than any other brands / model right now. Size S for somebody 5 ft 4 inch.

Hercules, Montra, Mach, and BSA are brands under the same entity ,- a listed company named Tube Investments of India.

Tatas do have some presence in the cycle market. But a "one size fits all" approach won't work any longer. Our bodies are different and we need different sizede cycles. Just imagine what happens if Bata sold only one or two size footwear.
Quote:
None. At this price point, please go to Decathlon and shop.
+1 to that.
Quote:
Unless you want to go for a road bike with 9 or more gears at rear, this issue of Shimano vs others makes no sense. Decathlon is a brand with operations in several countries, and they sell models with exactly same specification product everywhere. Go to decathlon .co.uk / .com / .sg and compare the RC 100 sold there with what is sold in their .in site.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 13:18   #6919
Senior - BHPian

Oh they used to have Shimano units, including the 105
Quote:
Old 15th May 2022, 13:22   #6920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Oh they used to have Shimano units, including the 105
Of course they do on the rc500 and above.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th May 2022 at 15:07. Reason: typo
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 21:14   #6921
BHPian

I have a question regarding my posture. While riding, I always look up, my neck seems to be craned slightly backwards as I think my shoulders are being pushed slightly back although my arms are straight and the elbows are not bent. My seat height seems to be proper as my legs remain straight when the pedal is right at the bottom. This is leading to some discomfort, not a lot but it's something that I'm noticing while riding. However, when I look slightly downward, say my natural line of sight is about 45 def, or just ahead of the front wheel, it feels natural with no pressure on the base of my neck, but then I need to roll my eyes upward to look ahead, which doesn't feel natural, I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

What's wrong with my posture, how can I ride without this minor discomfort, and do I need to do something with the seat height?
Old 15th May 2022, 23:19   #6922
BHPian

Quote:
Quality of components, price, warranty coverage, spares, no questions asked 90 day return policy.

Just go to Decathlon, and get him to try everything out and buy what he likes. End of story.
Thanks, will take a look at Decathlon again. The Raleigh also has some great components and warranty, what i also liked about it was the one piece frame, spares may be a problem, a bit of a unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
At this price point, nothing to beat decathlon. A flat bar Triban RC 100 (below 11 kg) or Riverside 120 (14.5 kg) would be far better than any other brands / model right now. Size S for somebody 5 ft 4 inch.
Thanks. will look at these 2 models too, checked the Riverside on their wesite and looks quite good.
Old 16th May 2022, 04:49   #6923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Wow! I mean, wow! That looks good. Can you post an image once you get to use it?
Here it is. I used it earlier today for a short trip. I could see the bike shaking a little through the sunroof, but it held on. I was on the highway for a short while only. If I were to take it on a longer trip, I would be stopping every couple of hours at least to check on it.

The Bicycles thread-img_0324.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_0330.jpg

These are vacuum cups and not the simple suction ones. Each one has a pump attached to it with an indicator that tells you whether it is fully stuck or not. These are the ones I would be checking frequently on longer trips.

The Bicycles thread-img_0325.jpg

For the rear tire, there is a strap that you use to hold the tire in place

The Bicycles thread-img_0326.jpg

They also provide an orange velcro strap (VERY IMPORTANT) so that you can tie the crank to the chain stays and prevent it from scratching the roof. I probably won't be opening the sunroof while the bike is there

The Bicycles thread-img_0327.jpg

As of now, I am quite happy with it. I have limited use for it though. If I am the only one in the car, then I will be just putting the rear seat down and transporting the bike inside the car.

Another disadvantage of this rack is that there is no locking mechanism. So, you can't really leave it unattended if you are not sure of the area you're in.

Hope this was helpful!

Amitoj
amitoj is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 12:07   #6924
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
What's wrong with my posture, how can I ride without this minor discomfort, and do I need to do something with the seat height?
Are you riding a drop bar? Is it the right size? What is the frame size and your height? Have you done a bike fit? Answer these and you'll get some answers. The frame size might be painted on the frame somewhere.

Please search YouTube for bike fit videos by GCN. Those probably will help. May be, just may be, reducing the reach, by flipping the stem or using a stem raiser might help, if the frame itself is correct size. Also, if it is a drop bar, finding a handlebar with shorter reach and / it drop might help. These are just ideas. First understand the concept of frame size and "bike fit", plenty of material on the net.

Also, I hope there is nothing (visor / sunshade) on your helmet.
Quote:
... spares may be a problem, a bit of a unknown.
When something wears out on a comfortable frame, upgrade, don't replace. Cross the bridge when you reach it.
Old 16th May 2022, 12:33   #6925
BHPian

Quote:
Please search YouTube for bike fit videos by GCN. Those probably will help. May be, just may be, reducing the reach, by flipping the stem or using a stem raiser might help, if the frame itself is correct size. Also, if it is a drop bar, finding a handlebar with shorter reach and / it drop might help. These are just ideas. First understand the concept of frame size and "bike fit", plenty of material on the net.
Thanks for your response and guidance. I'm new to cycling and not too well versed with the terminology. Will check the GCN videos online and do the basic research.

Quote:
Are you riding a drop bar? Is it the right size? What is the frame size and your height? Have you done a bike fit? Answer these and you'll get some answers. The frame size might be painted on the frame somewhere.
Mine is a 29 incher, I'm 5'10 and felt most comfortable with this size as compared to the 27.5. I'm riding the Bergamont revox 2. Haven't done a bike fit, wasn't even aware this needs to be done, apologies for the ignorance, now I'm feeling really stupid.

In my defense, I didn't expect that I will take to bicycling as much as I have, so didn't really put much thought while making the purchase last year. I started cycling with dedication about a month back and was doing around 5 km/day which I have now increased to around 15 - 20 km/day on paved roads.

Quote:
Also, I hope there is nothing (visor / sunshade) on your helmet.
No visor, just a simple helmet.
Old 16th May 2022, 15:21   #6926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a question regarding my posture. While riding, I always look up, my neck seems to be craned slightly backwards as I think my shoulders are being pushed slightly back although my arms are straight and the elbows are not bent. My seat height seems to be proper as my legs remain straight when the pedal is right at the bottom. This is leading to some discomfort, not a lot but it's something that I'm noticing while riding. However, when I look slightly downward, say my natural line of sight is about 45 def, or just ahead of the front wheel, it feels natural with no pressure on the base of my neck, but then I need to roll my eyes upward to look ahead, which doesn't feel natural, I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

I might be wrong but I think you are being forced to reach out to the handlebars which is making your natural angle of the line of sight to be so low. For a good posture, your elbows need to have a little bend in them so that they can act as shock absorbers and not transmit them to your upper body.

Also, your leg should be straight at the bottom only if you place your heel on the pedal. With the ball of your foot on the pedal, there is supposed to be a small angle on the knee.

All these and much more will become clearer once you watch a few bike fitting videos.

And by the way, welcome to this healthy addiction
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 17:06   #6927
BANNED

Quote:
Mine is a 29 incher, I'm 5'10 and felt most comfortable with this size as compared to the 27.5. I'm riding the Bergamont revox 2. Haven't done a bike fit, wasn't even aware this needs to be done, apologies for the ignorance, now I'm feeling really stupid.

In my defense, I didn't expect that I will take to bicycling as much as I have, so didn't really put much thought while making the purchase last year. I started cycling with dedication about a month back and was doing around 5 km/day which I have now increased to around 15 - 20 km/day on paved roads.
Please read this and try to implement the recommendations. These adjustments can be done on your own, make small adjustments till you get the right riding position.

No need to apologise, I was once just as ignorant as you and advice from here helped.

You are using an MTB. MTBs typically have less reach than road bikes. Also, I did expect the Scott / Bergamont dealers to give advise on sizing. Check the sizing here. You'll also find their frame geometry chart, on their site, https :// sportnetwork in. Find your model and locate the link in that page. It is a PDF file, so not linking here. Compare the "top tube parallel" measurements found there. Those might be too long for you. I feel you got the size with a longer reach.

The solution probably, (after you implement the suggestions in paragraph 1 above) There is this thing at center of the handle bar that connects it to the part of fork above the frame. That is called the stem. You can consider replacing it with a shorter one, and may be, sawing off the handle or getting a shorter handle might help you. DON'T DO / DECIDE THIS BY YOURSELF. If you purchased from a "Scott technology center", they are best people to judge it.

As a last resort, consider using a bar ends.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 16th May 2022 at 17:13.
Old 23rd May 2022, 09:09   #6928
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Here it is...
Is that an Allez Sprint?

----

Ordered this small piece of kit last week – an invisible stand for the bike. Quite nifty and can easily slide into the back pocket. A Velcro strap is also provided that can hold the brake and avoid the bike from rolling off.

The Bicycles thread-20220520_171647.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20220522_180003.jpg

The Bicycles thread-20220522_175924.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd May 2022 at 10:43. Reason: Back to back posts merged
vb-saan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:45   #6929
BHPian

Hi All

This is my first post in this thread. I have owned a used, beaten cycle during my school days, which was given to me by my cousin. Used it even during my UG college days, but haven't since then. I really enjoyed riding that cycle for so many years and I have some of my best memories, riding that cycle with my friends.

For the past year or so, I have been crazily following all bicycle related posts, youtube videos etc., and wanted to buy a cycle. I initially thought of buying a geared cycle, but I was not sure whether I would use it regularly and do justice to the expenditure (was thinking of Schnell Sierra, which I think comes to Rs. 30,000).

I turned 35 last week and my wife gifted me this cycle - Schnell Beast 29". It cost me Rs. 14,000 and they gave me Mudguard, Bottle holder, Bell as complementary. I bought it at Bicycle Arcade, Chromepet. As you would have judged by now, am an amateur cyclist and any guidance from this forum is highly appreciated. Thank you.

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20220522-8.13.37-pm.jpeg
Nazzy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 15:38   #6930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Is that an Allez Sprint?
That's a Specialized Diverge Comp E5 something something, that has Aluminum frame. I've had it for a few years now, so some parts are not original. Most notable are the chainring, cassette and tires. Speaking of tires, I never knew good tires could make so much difference to riding. Next time you're in the market for tires, look up Rene Herse.
Story of Rene Herse
What bike do you have?
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks