Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2022, 16:13   #6856
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Have you tried the support option....

No idea about the leaderboard functionality.
Yes I was able to open a Ticket.
Will let you know the level of support they provide.
Old 30th March 2022, 18:23   #6857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
We have noticed that the Weekly Leaderboard is not refreshing to include more than 10 users on the Leaderboard dashboard.
However the same dashboard refreshes to display all riders for the Last Week's stats.
That's odd. Is that happening for other clubs in your feed as well or just this one?
Not totally relevant, but I use this Chrome plugin to download club data and create my own leaderboards for various activities:
Download Reports
Old 1st April 2022, 08:34   #6858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
That's odd. Is that happening for other clubs in your feed as well or just this one?
Not totally relevant, but I use this Chrome plugin....
Thanks for the plugin.
I tried it , works

And yes, it was only for 1 specific club. (The others I don't check anyhow.. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Have you tried the support option...

No idea about the leaderboard functionality.
I used their Web interface support option. Pretty decent I must say.
Next day response ( I assume this is because support work only during US daytime hours )
Support

The problem seems to have got auto fixed. Maybe some delay in Sync.

As for the Leaderboard ..
It is just a motivator when you have a small local club, it shows the stats for 2 weeks sorted on distance covered.
Old 1st April 2022, 11:28   #6859
BHPian

After about a year and around 6000 kms, decided to part ways with my first adult bike - Triban RC 100. Was initially planning to keep this one as a second beater bike as suggested by members in the forum, but a lack of space and threats from the missus, had to sell the triban. Sold it to a friend who was looking to get into cycling and so far he has been thoroughly enjoying the bike.

The Bicycles thread-triban.jpg

Picked up a relatively unused FUJI Sportif for a very good price. Bike was less used and very well taken care of. Covered 200 Kms in the last 2 weeks with most of my time being spent getting used to the wider range of gears.

The Bicycles thread-fuji.jpg

Being an endurance bike, the riding position was similar to the triban and wasn't a major shift for my body. This helped me get used to the bike much faster than I expected. Shifting from the Triban to Fuji, noticed the below changes:

1. Much faster thanks to the gearing and tires. Been a pleasure improving my PRs on Strava by significant margins
2. Drop bar offers multiple handle positions that helps in reducing fatigue
3. Flat bar offered slightly better control especially during quick maneuvers/ flicks
4. Better road vibration damping probably thanks to the better frame and forks

No upgrades planned for the first 2K kms. Bike came with toe clips and so far I've been using them without any trouble. Will probably upgrade to clipless once I complete 2K.
anoopGTkrish is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 22:35   #6860
BHPian

Hello biking enthusiasts of this thread,

I am looking to buy a bicycle under ₹15k for cycling in the evening as an exercise, around 10-12kms everyday. The cheaper the better as use is only for next 1.5-2 years, not sure beyond that. The roads I will be riding on are very good and mostly flat.
Will it be worth it going for a geared cycle? I want to be riding fast and from what I have experienced, a geared one will let me ride faster than a single speed one. This is because once you reach good speed on a single geared one, the pedals are moving so fast that it is not possible to pedal faster anymore. On a geared one, you can switch to a higher gear instead. Am i thinking correctly?

I am open to both MTBs and hybrids.
My options from what I have researched on the internet are -
MTBs: Rockrider St30 and st50 from decathlon
Hybrids: Triad X3/x2 cross and Waltz Trak 3

The cheapest is the St30 and that's one I am thinking of going for.
The Rockriders have microshift gears IIRC and the hybrids have Shimano Tourney. But are gear systems in these cheap bikes reliable? Also the trak 3 comes with disc brakes, are these disc brakes durable?
I have already burnt my fingers once when I bought an Avon Volt MTB for 10k during school time. It was 21 speed Shimano gears (I think some unnamed groupset, only Shimano was written), front disc brake, front and rear suspension. The disc brake stopped working completely after 3 months, front suspension jammed after a year and gears started skipping, after sometime only 7-8 gears worked! Rode it like that in school and also in college.
So, though I want to go for a geared cycle, I am wary of it throwing tantrums every few months as I will only be able to take it for routine services like once a year or 6 months.
Waiting for all your learned advice!

Last edited by Candy$Cars : 1st April 2022 at 22:38.
Old 3rd April 2022, 23:12   #6861
BHPian

So, I went to Decathlon today to buy the ST30 but ended up almost doubling my budget and getting this beauty - The Riverside 500

The Bicycles thread-img_20220403_224751.jpg

Some questions -
1. Aren't disc brakes supposed to have very sharp bite? Both rear and front stop well but the stopping is quite gradual at the start. The v-brakes on MTBs at the store had sharper braking.
2. The riverside has 9 speed gears. Gears 6 and 7 keep on skipping, making noise and the pedals jerk. It sucks as 6 and 7 are the sweet ratios for leisure riding.
Candy$Cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 08:32   #6862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Some questions -
1. Aren't disc brakes supposed to have very sharp bite? Both rear and front stop well but the stopping is quite gradual at the start. The v-brakes on MTBs at the store had sharper braking.
2. The riverside has 9 speed gears. Gears 6 and 7 keep on skipping, making noise and the pedals jerk. It sucks as 6 and 7 are the sweet ratios for leisure riding.
Congrats on your bike ..
For your requirements (riding on good roads, want to go fast) this bike seems to perfectly fit the bill except for the budget you had. Very light and easy to ride.

Perhaps you felt the V-brakes at the store had sharper braking because you were riding slow since it was in the store / compound.

As for your 6/7 comments, the Jerk I guess is expected because the tooth count variance between the 6th and 7th cogs must be more in number than the variance between the others cogs.

What do you mean slipping ?
If you mean the gears are slotting back automatically then you can take it to the store for a tune up, they may adjust the derailleur in case there is an alignment issue.
Old 4th April 2022, 10:24   #6863
BHPian

Conflicted on buying a decathlon riverside 500 or a montra trance pro, I really don't like the MTB/offroad tyres as rides are going to be mostly city/good roads. What do you guys think?

Last edited by skrao : 4th April 2022 at 10:29.
Old 5th April 2022, 13:58   #6864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Congrats on your bike ..
For your requirements (riding on good roads, want to go fast) this bike seems to perfectly fit the bill except for the budget you had. Very light and easy to ride.

Perhaps you felt the V-brakes at the store had sharper braking because you were riding slow since it was in the store / compound.

What do you mean slipping ?
If you mean the gears are slotting back automatically then you can take it to the store for a tune up, they may adjust the derailleur in case there is an alignment issue.
Hi,
Thank you very much. The bike is indeed a delight to ride!
Yes, I rode the MTB inside the store at slow speed and on smooth surface. Maybe that is why I felt so.

By slipping I mean sometimes when I set it to it to 6th gear, it would instead either jump to 7th or the pedalling will become very rough (almost unrideable) as if the chain is unable to properly set in the casette.
Seems there is some issue with the tuning. I will take the bike to Decathlon in the evening today.

One more thing, the saddle has a little side to side movement in the horizontal plane. The guy at the store said it is because it has under-seat suspension but I think another piece I tried did not have this movement. Will check this out again at the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrao View Post
Conflicted on buying a decathlon riverside 500 or a montra trance pro, I really don't like the MTB/offroad tyres as rides are going to be mostly city/good roads. What do you guys think?
I got the riverside 500 recently and it is very good to ride. It is only 9 speed versus the 21 speed on the montra but the ratios are very well set and finding a usable one is very easy. My old MTB had 21 speeds and I used to be confused in noticing the differences and making a choice. By the time I learnt to notice the differences and remember them, the front derailleur started giving problems (it was a cheap MTB).Lesser choices, lesser confusion
Also, since the riverside has only 9 speed at this price, I expect them to be of better quality than the tourney on the montra (but not sure, experts on the forum can give better insights).
With the Riverside, you also get Decathlon's support.
P.S. i hadn't checked out the montra before buying. I had just gone to Decathlon to buy the Rockrider St30 but fell in love with the riverside and bought it instead. You may check out both physically to negate any second guesses.

Last edited by Candy$Cars : 5th April 2022 at 14:01.
Old 5th April 2022, 14:36   #6865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrao View Post
IIRC both the Trance Pro & decathlon riverside 500 come with 700c tires, albeit bigger sizes (35c/38c) tires. Do proper test rides on both and then decide accordingly. These are not MTB tires, you can choose to replace them with slimmer tires (32c/28c/25c) if you feel the need so. Your dealer (probably not Decathalon) might help you swap the existing tires to slimmer options at a reduced price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
By slipping I mean sometimes when I set it to it to 6th gear, it would instead either jump to 7th or the pedalling will become very rough (almost unrideable) as if the chain is unable to properly set in the casette.
Seems there is some issue with the tuning. I will take the bike to Decathlon in the evening today.

One more thing, the saddle has a little side to side movement in the horizontal plane. The guy at the store said it is because it has under-seat suspension but I think another piece I tried did not have this movement. Will check this out again at the store.
Seems like your stock bike needs some tune-up. Demonstrate the issues in person and get them to compare with an existing option and sort it out.

This is not a big concern, Decathalon bikes are known to have such minor issues when they get out of warehouse stock and do not do a full proper checkup before handing over to the buyers. Not ideal, but that's the reality.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 00:53   #6866
BHPian

Not sure if any of you ride your bikes with out a kick stand. If you do, here is a jugaad bike stand idea. I made it with some wood scraps, for use in my office.
The Bicycles thread-20220409_163958.jpg
GutsyGibbon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 07:38   #6867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Not sure if any of you ride your bikes with out a kick stand. If you do, here is a jugaad bike stand idea. I made it with some wood scraps, for use in my office.
Attachment 2295049
That's a great luggage carrier you have there. Where did you get it from?
Old 11th April 2022, 09:09   #6868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
That's a great luggage carrier you have there. Where did you get it from?
I got it recently on Amazon. Dirza brand. Time will tell if it's great. Seems flimsy. I used to have a saddle bag, but post covid I carry few more things to work, covid test kit, extra cell phone, lunch etc. It's perfect to carry all that, and I can commute without a backpack.

It installs on metal seat post, and not the carbon frame. It also comes with add on for side panniers. In theory I could add a laptop bag there, but I don't want to bring that monster home.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 10:54   #6869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Attachment 2295049
Thanks for sharing that "jugaad bike stand" GutsyGibbon. From no angle it looks like a jugaad. It's very professionally done (you must be really good at carpentary). Looks like an item bought from IKEA or Amazon.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 18:55   #6870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
From no angle it looks like a jugaad. It's very professionally done (you must be really good at carpentary). Looks like an item bought from IKEA or Amazon.
I was going to say the same thing. When someone says Jugaad a hideous and poorly made object comes to mind that miraculously does the work. This is rather good!
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks