Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:17   #6751
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

I would be paid 25k from my employer to spend on wellness by next month. Among the list of eligible activity is buying exercise equipment including a cycle or cycle trainer. I am seeking opinion on what would be a better spend ? A road bike or a cycle trainer. I am leaning towards a trainer as I find road bike not VFM currently. Also I do not think my current fitness would help me extract the value from a roadie.

For the trainer I am partial towards the wahoo snap (investing the differential 25k) .I had conflicting information on the decathlon trainer, with one store attendant stating I cannot use the trainer with zwift to automatically change the resistance. In which case it may not be useful for me. While the other store attendant said I can use it with Zwift and the trainer will automatically change resistance. The website itself makes no mention on this aspect. Would esteemed members please guide me on better options or cheaper alternatives. I am open to suggestions on better ways to spend this money also.

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd January 2022, 13:31   #6752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
I would be paid 25k from my employer to spend on wellness by next month. Among the list of eligible activity is buying exercise equipment including a cycle or cycle trainer. I am seeking opinion on what would be a better spend ? A road bike or a cycle trainer. I am leaning towards a trainer as I find road bike not VFM currently. Also I do not think my current fitness would help me extract the value from a roadie.

For the trainer I am partial towards the wahoo snap (investing the differential 25k) .I had conflicting information on the decathlon trainer, with one store attendant stating I cannot use the trainer with zwift to automatically change the resistance. In which case it may not be useful for me. While the other store attendant said I can use it with Zwift and the trainer will automatically change resistance. The website itself makes no mention on this aspect. Would esteemed members please guide me on better options or cheaper alternatives. I am open to suggestions on better ways to spend this money also.

Thanks in advance.
A trainer makes sense only after you have evolved into a serious cyclist and are now looking for that added edge, evolution, moving your fitness up to another level via structured training (TrainerRoad, Sufferfest/Wahoo Systm, etc). Yes there are many who use it as an interactive tool for racing indoors (Zwift, Ful Gaz, etc.), or riding known routes virtually in the (dis)comfort of your (pain cave)home (Rouvy) due to weather, traffic, even equipment wear-n-tear (I've actually been told this as a reason, so ...), but for me personally an indoor trainer is a means to get a really focused structured training workout in the most targeted, efficient and time compressed manner possible .

So if you do not have a road bike, or are currently a recreational hybrid/MTB cyclist, then in my opinion your money would first be better spent in picking up a road bike first and getting into serious riding on the road, developing your aerobic base engine first(very difficult getting that volume in on a trainer indoors, for the traditional high volume low intensity approach to base training, because of essentially heat, pain, fixed ergos, and boredom).

Once you are into it, and have the base miles in your muscles and cardio, then investing in an indoor trainer and a structured plan subscription makes a lot more sense.

This is of course what I think. You should hear out others too, and take a call based on what you think would work best for you and your mental makeup and level of motivation.

I is much easier riding outdoors consistently over an extended stretch of time than riding indoors.

The fear therefore always is that if you fail the latter, you may actually land up ditching cycling as an activity altogether based on your negative experience, whereas actually the reality is that it is tough for even seasoned riders and you probably bit off too much too quick.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Are you Rags (Raghu?) from the RD forum and group associated with a Parsi tuner based out of Bangalore? Pretty active in the early to mid 2000s ... Just wondering. The name and Bangalore "might" be a coincidence, but the older I get the smaller the world seems to get.

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd January 2022 at 13:36.
Old 3rd January 2022, 20:23   #6753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Am facing this paint chipping issue with my Trek. The friction between frame and cables are chipping away the paint. It seems I have to repaint again else rust will form. Kindly suggest a solution. This is purchased in 2020 March
You can cover the area with nail polish of a suitable colour.
Old 4th January 2022, 18:47   #6754
BHPian

I’ve been riding a Schwinn Searcher Hybrid bike for more than 10 years. So far, my rides have mostly been “local”, not exceeding 30-35 kms within Pune. I’ve been happy with my Schwinn and been regularly maintaining it. However, off late, I have become more serious about endurance and would like to do longer distance rides (~70–100 Kms). I am considering upgrading to a road bike with the following criterion:
  • Lightweight (~10kg) with carbon fork
  • Relatively comfortable to ride - The ability to cover longer distances efficiently is more important than setting new speed records
  • Primarily for road use, but should be able to handle occasional rough patches/detours without breaking down
  • Dependability, Long term reliability (~10 years)
  • Easily serviceable & repairable
  • Budget: 60k - 1 Lakh

So far I have looked at the following options:
  • Polygon Strattos S2 (~59k)
    ++ Pros: Good specs for the money, Carbon fibre fork
    -- Cons: Unsure about the brand, quality and long term reliability, Tyre upgradability
  • Trek Domane AL2 (~68k)
    ++ Pros: Lightweight (~9.5 kg), Carbon fibre fork, Reputed brand and quality
    -- Cons: Expensive considering the specs - Rim brakes, no internal routing, Not possible to upgrade to bigger tyres
  • Marin Gestalt Base (~72k)
    ++ Pros: Looks good, VFM, Tyre upgradability, Reputed Brand
    -- Cons: Lacks carbon fork, also a bit on heavier side

I have gone through a number of YouTube videos to understand road bikes better, but most of the channels are from developed/Western countries, and I am not sure their criteria for selecting a bike would apply in India, so wanted to get your opinion on the following.
  • Brakes - Disc vs Rim
    I don’t plan to ride very fast and not planning to ride in wet conditions. I also prefer better modulation instead of powerful on/off type feel. Will I be ok with Rim brakes or would disc brakes be preferable for our unpredictable roads?
  • Shimano Claris vs Sora
    Most of my rides would be on flat roads, moderate inclines, would I be ok with Claris or should I go with Sora?
  • Tyres
    Would 700x28c be ok or should 700x32c be preferred for Indian road conditions?

Trek Domane AL2 meets most of my criteria, but given the rim brakes and external cable routing, I am not sure whether to spend that kind of money on what would soon become an old generation bike or whether to go for the next model such as Trek Domane AL3? The latter is not expected to be available in India for another 4-5 months though.

I don’t have lot of knowledge on other available brands/current availability in India, so kindly let me know your suggestions in the 60k - 1L range.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MandarMax : 4th January 2022 at 19:03.
Old 4th January 2022, 22:10   #6755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post

Trek Domane AL2 meets most of my criteria, but given the rim brakes and external cable routing, I am not sure whether to spend that kind of money on what would soon become an old generation bike or whether to go for the next model such as Trek Domane AL3? The latter is not expected to be available in India for another 4-5 months though.

I don’t have lot of knowledge on other available brands/current availability in India, so kindly let me know your suggestions in the 60k - 1L range.

Thanks in advance.
The Trek is the obvious no brainer.

Rim brakes over disc brakes on a road bike anyday.

External over internal cables anyday.

Where is the concern?

There is virtually zero difference in real world riding between Claris and Sora. Claris parts are cheaper. Tougher and last a bit longer too. The choice of bikepackers and world tourers for a reason.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 10:28   #6756
BHPian

Hello All,

Convolution have launched their aspera 2.0 (endurance) and the asphalt (made to order) bikes.

wanted to know if anyone here is using Convolution bikes and the general feedback on the bikes when compared to imported comparable brands (Trek, Giant, Cannondale etc.)

Cheers.
Old 5th January 2022, 14:05   #6757
BHPian

Quote:
  • Lightweight (~10kg) with carbon fork
  • Relatively comfortable to ride - The ability to cover longer distances efficiently is more important than setting new speed records
  • Primarily for road use, but should be able to handle occasional rough patches/detours without breaking down
  • Dependability, Long term reliability (~10 years)
  • Easily serviceable & repairable
  • Budget: 60k - 1 Lakh

Thanks in advance.
IMHO, the Tiagra equipped Polygon Stratos S4 would be the better choice for you here. It also falls within your budget. List price is 92-97k. From my inquiries, it might be around 80k net price after discount.
bugatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 21:13   #6758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I have cleaned the pads by light filing just to get rid of the top layer. The rims I clean regularly with damp cloth, but even so the brakes just lack stopping power. Was looking for suggestions for some better quality pads.
After living with poor to terrible brakes for a long time which were especially non existent in wet weather. I decided to change the shoes.
Got these from BumsOnTheSaddle at Jayanagar
The Bicycles thread-img_20220105_161820.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20220105_163442.jpg

Will update their efficacy after a few hundred kms.
goandude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 20:02   #6759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
After living with poor to terrible brakes for a long time which were especially non existent in wet weather. I decided to change the shoes.
Got these from BumsOnTheSaddle at Jayanagar

Will update their efficacy after a few hundred kms.

Brake pad story time (title sounds weird but stay with me).

I picked up my road bike, Raleigh Merit in Dec 2017. For about a year I suffered constant rim wearing out and had to sandpaper my brake pads every 200km. I was surprised at the amount of filings embedding themselves into the brake pads.

By chance, in May 2019, I picked up 2 sets of Ashima road brake pads (ARS45) from BOTS but didn't install them.

In June 2019, I picked up a wheelset and changed my tyres. But continued to use my old brake pads. I was still getting a lot of filings in the pads. Checked with the seller of the wheelset, who advised me to switch to better brake pads.

So immediately installed the Ashima ones (this was July 2019 or so). The difference was immediate.

-Better braking
-No more filings (I don't even check these days)
-Even after riding in rains and slush etc, I don't bother. This is because the brake pads have no filings. They more or less are self-cleaning.

I used to be a skeptic of whether there could be such a difference between brake pads..but honestly, there is. The difference narrows between pads like Ashima and Koolstops but for performance and wet roads, the latter is undoubtedly a good choice.

Last edited by bugatti : 6th January 2022 at 20:04.
bugatti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 12:46   #6760
Senior - BHPian

I own ~10 years old Montra Blues hybrid cycle, which I use infrequently. I want to know about servicing schedule of a cycle in time and kms. I did my last service 2 years and ~ 900 kms back. Few days back i did a thorough diesel cleaning of chain, gears , pedals etc, and lubricated with sewing machine oil. Is it enough or do i need to get it professionally services. I currently ride the bicycle ~ 20-30 kms everyday.
Can anyone suggest a good shop to service the cycle in PCMC area of Pune? I am not inclined to get it serviced from Track and Trail as they literally screwed the bicycle during the last service. More keen to an individual who can service it than a shop.
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 13:09   #6761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The Trek is the obvious no brainer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
IMHO, the Tiagra equipped Polygon Stratos S4 would be the better choice for you here. It also falls within your budget. List price is 92-97k. From my inquiries, it might be around 80k net price after discount.
The Triban RC 500 became available on Decathlon after a long period of being out of stock, so decided to go ahead with it. It checks all the boxes for me and at ~60k I am getting Shimano Sora, Carbon fork and Disc brakes so it seems like a no brainer. It also has better overall upgradeability as compared to the other options I was considering.

I am recovering from Covid and in home quarantine as of now, so planning to take delivery next week. Will post my experiences in coming weeks.

Thank you for all the help.

Last edited by MandarMax : 7th January 2022 at 13:14. Reason: Added link to site
Old 7th January 2022, 14:01   #6762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Triban RC 500 became available on Decathlon after a long period of being out of stock, so decided to go ahead with it. It checks all the boxes for me and at ~60k I am getting Shimano Sora, Carbon fork and Disc brakes so it seems like a no brainer. It also has better overall upgradeability as compared to the other options I was considering.

I am recovering from Covid and in home quarantine as of now, so planning to take delivery next week. Will post my experiences in coming weeks.

Thank you for all the help.
Big big mistake choosing a Decathlon bike over a Trek thoroughbred. That too at the same price point without paying any brand premium.

You are making the common mistake of getting swayed by componentry, and losing sight of the heart of the bike. Its frame and wheelset.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 7th January 2022 at 14:06.
ebonho is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 14:11   #6763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
I own ~10 years old Montra Blues hybrid cycle, which I use infrequently. I want to know about servicing schedule of a cycle in time and kms. I did my last service 2 years and ~ 900 kms back. Few days back i did a thorough diesel cleaning of chain, gears , pedals etc, and lubricated with sewing machine oil. Is it enough or do i need to get it professionally services. I currently ride the bicycle ~ 20-30 kms everyday.
Can anyone suggest a good shop to service the cycle in PCMC area of Pune? I am not inclined to get it serviced from Track and Trail as they literally screwed the bicycle during the last service. More keen to an individual who can service it than a shop.
Hello Shubhendra, usually servicing the cycle once a year should be sufficient and regular oiling of the chain (may be once a month). Before a long ride I usually clean the chain, just by wiping off the grime by a clean cloth (5-10 mins). Then apply WD40 oil with a paint brush, very lightly, such that one drop of oil is spread across 10-15 links of the chain. So 8-10 drops of oil is more than enough to lubricate the whole chain.

I can share with you below two contacts:

Yogesh Pandit Cycle Repair (near Lokmanya Hospital, Nigdi, Pradhikaran) - +91 98500 64313. He runs a simple road side shop (tapri), but is a very genuine fellow. He is good for running repairs.

AVANT CORPORATION (CYCLEREPUBLIC)
Store Address : Survey No 218/02, Ravet BRTS road,
Next to creative Public School Ravet
Pune, Maharashtra 412101 IN
+91 9923005485
info@cyclerepublik.com
https://www.cyclerepublik.com

I did the complete servicing form CYCLEREPUBLIC last Nov-21. He has complete set-up. Charges were Rs 1950/- (Rs 1500 for complete servicing + Rs 450 for front & rear steel balls replacement and hub cone replacement). Things included in Complete servicing can be see in the pic below.
The Bicycles thread-full-servicing-inr1500.jpeg
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 14:13   #6764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Big big mistake choosing a Decathlon bike over a Trek thoroughbred. That too at the same price point without paying any brand premium.

You are making the common mistake of getting swayed by componentry, and losing sight of the heart of the bike. Its frame and wheelset.

Cheers, Doc
Doc please elaborate the advantages of a Trek over Triban.
Old 7th January 2022, 14:49   #6765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Doc please elaborate the advantages of a Trek over Triban.
1.2 kilos.

Its a Trek.

Look at the two bikes in the flesh.

Touch them.

Pick them up.

Then ride them back to back.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks