Old 11th June 2008, 11:59   #181
BHPian

The options in the market are endless and it all depends on how
much you can and how much you are willing to shelve out for the
cycle.

As you prefer to have gears on the cycle you can start from cycles
from hero DTB(4.5k) , Hercules WOW(5.5k), and go on till firefox and
Trek which may touch even 25k+.
It also depends on how much u can bargain with the dealers.

18 Kms one way is a long commute. So would suggest you to get
accustomed to cycling first.
Believe me I do 10 kms a day and it takes the toll of me. Though
the rest of the day i feel more alert.
Overdoing it may make u feel sleepy in office :P

Start at around 6-8 kms a day and gradually go up.
Then you can start taking the bike to office.
Old 11th June 2008, 12:10   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
The options in the market are endless and it all depends on how
much you can and how much you are willing to shelve out for the
cycle.

As you prefer to have gears on the cycle you can start from cycles
from hero DTB(4.5k) , Hercules WOW(5.5k), and go on till firefox and
Trek which may touch even 25k+.
It also depends on how much u can bargain with the dealers.

18 Kms one way is a long commute. So would suggest you to get
accustomed to cycling first.
Believe me I do 10 kms a day and it takes the toll of me. Though
the rest of the day i feel more alert.
Overdoing it may make u feel sleepy in office :P

Start at around 6-8 kms a day and gradually go up.
Then you can start taking the bike to office.
Yes, I agree. I do not have the stamina to run 18 kms from day one. But will do so gradually.

Okay, I took some timeout to go through the thread and here are the manufacturers that are mentioned:

Avon
BSA
Hero
Firefox
DiamondBack
Hercules
Raleigh
Mercedes Benz
Brompton

Next task is to see their websites and zero-in on potential targets.

Would need your help in the final decision, TBHPians.

Happy cycling!
Old 11th June 2008, 17:17   #183
Senior - BHPian

18 kms one way to the office on a cycle ? !! I doubt how comfortable it can be being at work during the day after a tiring cycling of that kind of distance. Major part depends on the climate. If you are at a humid place like mumbai, it would be a day with dried sweat, glued innerwears, sleepy mood and most importantly irritating to the collegues considering you as a stinking ancient man around.

But the whole situation changes in a BPO atmosphere, because you can have a fresh shower on reaching office. Good work-out in the morning and evening, very refreshing time at work, fit body, good digestion and many more goods to follow ! Please update us about your actual situation from the above !
Old 11th June 2008, 19:15   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
My commute is a good 18 kms one way and obviously this would mean, I need a geared bicycle that is easy on the limbs. I usually start work as early as 8 am, so beating the morning traffic is not a problem for me. And I am back home at around 5:00-5:30 pm. So again no rush hour traffic really.
Commuting 18 kms one way on a bike would be tiresome initially.

Beating the traffic is not a big problem as you can avoid main roads and take bylanes, streets or other shortcuts instead.
Old 11th June 2008, 19:51   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
18 kms one way to the office on a cycle ? !! I doubt how comfortable it can be being at work during the day after a tiring cycling of that kind of distance. Major part depends on the climate. If you are at a humid place like mumbai, it would be a day with dried sweat, glued innerwears, sleepy mood and most importantly irritating to the collegues considering you as a stinking ancient man around.

But the whole situation changes in a BPO atmosphere, because you can have a fresh shower on reaching office. Good work-out in the morning and evening, very refreshing time at work, fit body, good digestion and many more goods to follow ! Please update us about your actual situation from the above !
I agree with you, mate. Initially, it would be tough on the body. However, I do not plan to jump into cycling to work rightaway. Maybe some practice over a period of 1-2 months before I actually start cycling to work.

Thankfully, Pune is blessed with a good climate for most of the year, except for the searing heat in the summers, which again hurts only for two months or so. The rest of the year is pleasant.
Old 11th June 2008, 19:54   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemarauder View Post
Commuting 18 kms one way on a bike would be tiresome initially.

Beating the traffic is not a big problem as you can avoid main roads and take bylanes, streets or other shortcuts instead.
You would be surprised to know that in the 18 km I commute to work, I see only two signals on the way. That would be my preferred route for cycling to work as well. I am an early starter at work (8 am or earlier at times), so beating the traffic is not a problem. Same goes with the end of the day (anywhere between 4:30-5:00 pm or even earlier at times).
Old 12th June 2008, 10:48   #187
BHPian

Today again I got pissed by the office parking security. We don't have a dedicated bicycle parking. But the facilities boys who come by bicycle are usually made to park in some end of the two wheeler parking. Off late that space is full and I park anywhere in the two wheeler parking. When I'm confronted with grunts from the security, I get really pissed off and tell him that I'm paking my two wheel in two wheeler parking. But it does not usually end there and morning is spoiled.
Old 12th June 2008, 11:51   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Today again I got pissed by the office parking security. We don't have a dedicated bicycle parking. But the facilities boys who come by bicycle are usually made to park in some end of the two wheeler parking. Off late that space is full and I park anywhere in the two wheeler parking. When I'm confronted with grunts from the security, I get really pissed off and tell him that I'm paking my two wheel in two wheeler parking. But it does not usually end there and morning is spoiled.
What i say is that you should start coming a bit earlier to get a space for yourself.
At the same time complain about the office security to your HR and let it take care of it.
They should not be let off without a lesson.
Old 12th June 2008, 12:31   #189
Senior - BHPian

What I dont understand is, why the security bothered about the mode of transportation by the employees ? You might be going to work by walk, cycle, engine powered bike, a car or even a limousine, but why should the security worry about all that instead of keeping his duty perfect ? You should give a piece of mind to him or let the HR take care of such situations !! I know how security guys act smart in my residential compound, many have been fired due to this attitude.
Old 14th June 2008, 13:57   #190

Fact of the matter is that my first passions are cycles and yatchs. The first bike I owned was an Atlas Concorde with 10 gears which had been gifted to me on my 12th birthday. I used it for a good l4 years till someone eventually stole it. I was so enamored with it that I refused to give it up or buy a new one or buy any automated vehicle even after I landed quite a well paying job. If anyone would ask me the specifications of my vehicle I would come up with figures that was sure to astound any listener :- engine capacity- 5000cc (which is actually my lung capacity), catalytic combustion engine (but of Course - haven't you heard of cytochrome oxydase??), 100 hp (power of my thunder thighs), manual transmission 10 gears, and liquid cooled engines. It was the mileage that would finally give it away- 70 km on 2 chapattis. It was an amazing time that I had with it. Being the only guy who did not have a motorized vehicle many thought I would be left without a girlfriend too. But what the heck, it was their loss. when flying training started I realised that I was making a transition from cycles to aircrafts with out ever having driven a motor bike or a car. The only thing that must have facilitated this transition might have been the yatchs that I often sailed.
Anyway, at the instance of my instructor who sited safety reasons, I bought a car rather unwillingly. It was an Indica which stayed area me for five years.in the meantime my first cycle got stolen. By the end of the fifth year I was So enamored with buying a new cycle that I invested the money that I had set aside for the car's insurance on a brand new Aluminum bike- I stopped using the car altogether and discovered to my surprise that the cycle was more often than not three times faster than my car in Bombay's traffic. Moreover, I recovered the cost of the cycle in two months by way of fuel savings. The most affected party were my dates who would no longer get dropped back home. But who cared. I finally sold off my car and following my transfer to the Andamans I decided to leave the cycle back on mainland and buy a new car here (which was to be a Dzire).
I can for one tell you a few things on owning cycles from my experience. Though racing bikes are faster they come with their own set of problems namely:-
1. Indian roads are bad and thin tyres don't really last. I ended up changing tyres one in 3 months. The chain too needs change almost every year
2. Because of a host of reasons these cycles are inherently imbalanced and it is easier to fall off a racing cycle than any other
3. The saddle is not really designed for cycling for long durations especially on bumpy roads. You might want to insure your ***** and unborn children. why not store some sperm samples too?
4. There is a 30% more chance that people would state a racing cycle than any other.
In India I would recommend a mountain bike because:-
1. The roads are hilly even in the plains. Craters are mountainous
2. Rugged construction.
3. Thicker tyres mean better braking.
4. Thicker tyres also mean lesser tyre change.
5. Better riding posture. The lean forward posture is assumed for reducing aerodynamic drag. Now aerodynamic drag becomes significant only at higher speeds which most of as world not be doing. Besides, in cities I would generally get behind a truck or buss or car to take advantage of the low pressure and reduced drag behind it

gears or no gears?
I would recommend gears irrespective of terrain. which kind of gears to use is what matters. A lower range (say 10 speed) for plains and a higher range (say 15 speed) for hilly terrain is fair. Beyond 2 o is a farce
Aluminum or steel?
Aluminum without doubt-unless you can find a carbon polymer bike. Because of the lower weight it becomes much easier to accelerate an aluminum bike. And trust me, it is a very big advantage in cities because you would be racing against cars and trying for a lead right at the Signal. But the main reason for chosing aluminum is that it doesn't corrode and THAT is a major major reason. You wouldn't be bothering about rust spots any where. Besides, rust is one of the major reasons for a flat tyre.
SHOCKERS? of course yes.
It is a must 'Trying wd 40 or rustlik instead of grease or oil. You will soil your trousers Lesser that way.
A good mudguard is a good investment for you clothes.
Price -
Avoid cheap bikes. Yon wouldn't want to go to a repair shop every now and then. Poor construction leads to rattling, grinding in flywheels and pedals and deformation of wheels. There is no apper limit on the price. Any amount you spend will be recovered as long as you substitute motor vehicles with cycling. The benefits to health need not be enumerated.

And yes-farting while yOu are cycling is not turbo charging.
Old 15th June 2008, 13:05   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Guys, did not have the enthusiasm to go through the entire thread. I am sure this must have been asked and mentioned in this thread somewhere by somebody.

Going green is the buzzword and I wish to join the bandwagon sooner than later. I want to inculcate the habit to cycling to work, to start atleast once in a week and progressively 2-3 days a week as the stamina builds up.

My commute is a good 18 kms one way and obviously this would mean, I need a geared bicycle that is easy on the limbs. I usually start work as early as 8 am, so beating the morning traffic is not a problem for me. And I am back home at around 5:00-5:30 pm. So again no rush hour traffic really.

What are my options in geared bicycles? Links, suggestions please. Thanks in anticipation.
Hey i think you should go for the firefox or raleigh range.. if there are any hypercity stores around pune u can contact them for the raleigh cycles or there might be a firefox store somewhere u can check the official site...

But considering the cost of these cycles.. it is better if you have a good dealer nearby so that you can reach him easy in case of repair(although that is rather rare)
I have been riding a Hero Hawk.its a good bike but the chain and gears is giving me a lot of problem recently.. i would rather blame that on the poor material of the chain-wheel which i think is a mistake from the dealer side. I should be investing in a good firefox or raleigh soon.
Old 15th June 2008, 17:17   #192
Senior - BHPian

Anyone heard of Merida ? There's a new showroon in Bangalore, and they're a little cheaper than the Treks - though haven't done a test ride yet.
Old 18th June 2008, 23:18   #193
Senior - BHPian

Got a bike. Merida Matts SUB 40-V. 19k OTR with a bunch of accessories. Rode 15+ kms home - and surprised myself
Hoping the positives continue and it actually becomes my regular commuter.
Old 19th June 2008, 10:54   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Got a bike. Merida Matts SUB 40-V. 19k OTR with a bunch of accessories. Rode 15+ kms home - and surprised myself
Hoping the positives continue and it actually becomes my regular commuter.

WOW zenx thats cool....it costed you 19k?? do share more info about it....

Riding to office we might come across these issues like, sweat, wont suit formal wear....

People who are riding to office can share some tips.
Old 19th June 2008, 11:15   #195
BHPian

That looks cool, zenx. How do you feel about the gas filled front suspension? Does it really work good enough to make a good difference? I ride pretty plain stuff and will look for a good one in the future.

lohithrao, from my experience, cycling in Bangalore weather is reasonable and good. Like any sports or physical work, you will sweat more in initial days. My office is hardly 3 Km and I hardly sweat unless I race. I'm sure I will not sweat much for at least 6 or 7 Km.

Take it this way. You walk regularly for 2 Km to office. This will still make you sweat, but quite doable without much stink in office.

In any case, some deo is important.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks