Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2019, 10:05   #1
BHPian

PayTM KYC ordeal

I'm creating this thread to share my experiences while trying to complete Paytm KYC.

Paytm mentions on its site that no payment needs to be done to complete KYC. However, when I go to the KYC centres near my house (North Bangalore), they demand to be paid random amounts ranging from Rs. 50 to 100 per KYC. I hate paying bribes. So, after visiting virtually all KYC centers near me, I decided to complain to Paytm.

I recorded a video of a person demanding money for KYC, and saying that he chooses not to do KYC for me since I refused to pay. I posted that video on Twitter (I'm not too active on Twitter and do not have many followers) and asked Paytm to help me. I got a canned response stating that action would be taken against the person who demanded money for KYC, and that they would send someone home to complete KYC.

I contacted them again on Twitter after their deadline had passed, and they said that the issue would be escalated. After that, Paytm has even stopped responding to me on Twitter.

Has anyone else faced such a situation?
Attached Thumbnails
PayTM KYC ordeal-paytm.png  

Old 31st May 2019, 10:19   #2
BHPian

re: PayTM KYC ordeal

Well, I got my KYC done in 10 minutes without paying anything. But I have a different grudge with Paytm. Before KYC, the app was giving notifications to complete KYC from some time, while I was not using it. I use Paytm mostly for Uber. So one fine day, I added money to Paytm, and it worked normally (money added, even though KYC was pending). However, while paying, it didn't allow any payment stating that I need to complete KYC.

Now, that got my nerves. No KYC but you can take money from me - no fuss. But you will not allow me to spend, or deposit back to bank!
Old 31st May 2019, 10:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

File official complaint here against PAYTM
https://pgportal.gov.in/

Regards
Old 31st May 2019, 10:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
File official complaint here against PAYTM
https://pgportal.gov.in/

Regards
I've done that. Thank you.
Old 31st May 2019, 11:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

I got my KYC done about 3 months ago without paying any money. However, my friend had to pay to get his KYC done recently. The KYC centres claim that that PayTM hasn't been paying them their dues and they end up asking money from the customers . Some of them have stopped doing the KYC - they just say the server is down .

While it's inappropriate for the KYC centres to ask for money , I feel the problem is really with PayTM. They're quite generous with their cashbacks and other offers , but at the same don't pay these small time KYC centres their dues. I'm sure PayTM is very much aware of the situation but is doing nothing about it. Unsuprisingly , they stopped responding to you on twitter.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 31st May 2019 at 11:36.
Old 31st May 2019, 11:32   #6
BHPian

Did my KYC last Saturday. Paid Rs.30. Had no idea this was supposed to be free!
Old 31st May 2019, 11:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
While it's inappropriate for the KYC centres to ask for money , I feel the problem is really with PayTM. They're quite generous with their cashbacks and other offers , but at the same don't pay these small time KYC centres their dues. I'm sure PayTM is very much aware of the situation but is doing nothing about it. Unsuprisingly , they stopped responding to you on twitter.
I think this demand for money to complete KYC happens mostly in Bangalore. Some friends in Kerala and Pune have told me that they didn't face the same issue.
Old 31st May 2019, 11:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
So one fine day, I added money to Paytm, and it worked normally (money added, even though KYC was pending). However, while paying, it didn't allow any payment stating that I need to complete KYC.

Now, that got my nerves. No KYC but you can take money from me - no fuss. But you will not allow me to spend, or deposit back to bank!
This is my grouse also. My money got similarly blocked in Paytm and I had to do a KYC to get it reactivated. I disputed with the KYC agent that it is a free service, but he simply refused to do it for free. I lost patience and paid Rs.40/-
for KYC. I complained to Paytm later but I don't think they would have taken any action.
Old 31st May 2019, 19:07   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
..But I have a different grudge with Paytm. ....

...... Now, that got my nerves. No KYC but you can take money from me - no fuss. But you will not allow me to spend, or deposit back to bank!
Well, this is one of the reasons I guess most of the users have taken KYC. Otherwise, they just move on to a better platform like Tez.

Even I got stuck in this ordeal. A friend wanted to pay me back some money and insisted on PayTM, which now I understand was because they accept credit cards. Once he paid me, I wasn't able to get it to the bank due to lack of KYC and had to go through the same ordeal as the @OP. This was more than a year back.

Well, I'm going ahead and saying a bold statement. I don't think PayTM is running things ethically. But, then if you look deep, most corporates have numerous holes!
Old 31st May 2019, 20:09   #10
BHPian

I got my PayTM KYC done a year ago. This young chap came home on a bicycle in the rain, took a photo of my Aadhar card and uploaded it onto their app, and at the same time I received a notification stating KYC is complete. No charges paid whatsoever.
Old 31st May 2019, 20:20   #11
BHPian

Completed KYC yesterday. The representative came home and completed the formalities in about 10 minutes. No cost and no hassles.
Old 31st May 2019, 22:34   #12
Team-BHP Support

There was a time a year or so ago, when the Android app had a 'Request home visit' option but the iOS users had to find a nearby KYC point on the app. A pain for the better half as most of those listed close to our home quoted one reason or another to not do it. 'Server Down Saar!' was heard most often.
Old 1st June 2019, 08:39   #13
BHPian

Recently got the KYC done for my wife here. After us there were a few more who came to get their KYC addressed. Work was completed in 10 mins. The process was smooth and professional throughout. I purchased a mobile screen guard as a token of thanks. If you live in or around HSR, you can give this place a visit.
Old 1st June 2019, 09:19   #14
BHPian

I have not done my KYC with paytm. I was trying to locate their centers but for whatever reason it didn't show me nearby locations. This was a good 6-8 months ago. Never bothered with them after that.

My wife has got her minimum KYC done. I'm just using her account for the time being. I'm not a heavy paytm user - may have done 20 rupees worth of transactions the whole of last month (for some snacks at the office vending machine :P).
Old 1st June 2019, 09:49   #15
BHPian

I completed my Paytm KYC registration recently and paid 30rs. Even though they say its free of cost none of the smaller shops side would do it for free, some are charging 50 and some 100 depending on the location of the shop.

You can also opt for the Paytm KYC person to visit your home and get the process completed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks