Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2019, 09:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 'Ford vs Ferrari' Movie

All these reviews from fellow petrolheads are making my mouth water at the prospect of catching this flick on the big screen. Rush is one of my all time favourite movies and hearing that it compares favourably to Rush is making me all the more excited.

Booked to catch it this coming weekend. Cant wait!
Old 28th November 2019, 09:51   #47
Senior - BHPian

Being an automobile enthusiast I watched this movie and must say it was pure 2.5 hrs of adrenaline "rush". Being a typical Hollywood movie some liberties might've been taken w.r.t characters and historical details. I loved the way in which the movie focused on the technical details of building Ford GT 40 (Shelby, his dad, Miles, and the team) and drivers' involvement.

This movie once again reinforces the fact that men in suits wearing MBA on their sleeves running an automobile company without an iota of knowledge about technical aspects of an automobile. A similar phenomenon was noted and shared by our very own Behram Dhabhar sir on this prestigious forum w.r.t vehicle development and testing, in which he shared about how men in suits in the boardroom give and make choices without having an iota of knowledge about how an automobile works.

Last but not the least, it was sad to see people in the cinema hall leave even before the end credits started rolling. They didn't even bother to read the last lines and see real life pictures of Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles . I could relate this to the climax of the movie but won't reveal it here. People who watched it will understand.
Old 28th November 2019, 10:21   #48
BHPian

Loved the movie, watched it on the first day of release. There was a documentary released in 2016 called 'The 24 Hour War', definitely watch that too which gives more details on what actually happened.
Old 28th November 2019, 12:18   #49

I watched the movie yesterday night. The part of the movie where the GT40 is captured i.e. all the testing scenes and race scenes are fantastic, apart from that I felt that the movie more revolved around lives of Ken Miles and how Carrol Shelby got recognition from the Ford Motor Company. Movie is worth a watch once.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th November 2019 at 12:27. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots... like... this... Thanks.
Old 28th November 2019, 14:09   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

I was supposed to go and see this movie last Sunday evening. Something came up and I could not go.

Next week I will be on a business trip in Stockholm. Which tends to get a bit boring in the evening. But I have already checked and this movie is on at several theatres. So that is at least one evening covered

Many of my petrol head friends have already seen it and are very enthusiastic. So I just have to go and see this movie!

Jeroen
Old 29th November 2019, 01:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Jus back from the last show on big screen near me. Dismal crowd turnout as expected. The '7000 RPM' line surely takes the cake. Christian bale just rocked it

Funny thing, the moment I came to parking and started the car , noticed the redline from 6500-8000 RPM. Seeing open roads(~1AM), took a longer route. Switched to sports mode and played with paddle shifters a bit but within minutes reality struck (potholes) and I was back to D mode @2000RPM

Last edited by SoumenD : 29th November 2019 at 02:18.
Old 29th November 2019, 02:03   #52

I absolutely loved the movie. I’d say it’s better than RUSH, which was a great movie no doubt. Christian Bale’s adaptability as an actor is remarkable. The movie really managed to capture the love for the machine. The race scenes leave you in awe. Of course, it’s not just all cars. The message the movie leaves you with goes a long way. I don’t go to the cinema very often, but I’m glad I did for this one.
Old 29th November 2019, 18:57   #53
BHPian

So this movie was a boys night out with my Dad after a really long time..... So it was extra special....
And so what were my thoughts? To paraphrase from the movie:

"IIIII'm H-A-P-P-Y!!!
I'm H-A-P-P-Y!!!!!
I know I am
I'm sure I am
I'm H-A-P-P-Y!!!!!"

Brilliant Brilliant movie!! Right up there with 'RUSH'. Now if they only made something like this with motorcycles..... (wishful thinking)......

Saw it a second time with wife and kids........Wife could not believe that Christian Bale could have played Batman.....She has seen the movie (Batman) but still could not believe it......Then I showed her his pics from 'The Machinist' and 'Vice'.......

Last edited by Indraneel Bhat : 29th November 2019 at 18:59. Reason: Wished to add more detail
Old 29th November 2019, 20:47   #54
BHPian

Can anybody confirm if this has been released in IMAX version?
Asking since the prices for IMAX screens are almost same as regular multiplex ones.

In my experience regular movie on a IMAX screen looks dull and noisy[as if low resolution movie has been blown up in size].
Old 29th November 2019, 21:26   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Can anybody confirm if this has been released in IMAX version?
Asking since the prices for IMAX screens are almost same as regular multiplex ones.

In my experience regular movie on a IMAX screen looks dull and noisy[as if low resolution movie has been blown up in size].
I saw it in IMAX. It is breathtaking! As good as the film is, watching it on an XXL screen with sound to match was an experience in itself. Nothing dull or stretched or seemingly low res
Old 29th November 2019, 22:19   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's the unpopular view a few might've been waiting for, for me personally, it was just too much about cars, tuning blah blah, not a very deep story if you take away that part, the usual human story of persevering and determination was expected.

Is this Chris Bale's best movie? Not by a long shot, his worst, possible. He is British, so bringing out that accent is easy stuff for him as far as his previous achievements go. Not a fan of Matt Damon at all (my god he is boring).

The movie is good, nothing to outright fault it for.. but I couldn't help but nod off several times. The only Chris Bale movie I've hated, and I've watched Laurel Canyon.
Old 30th November 2019, 07:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Here's the unpopular view a few might've been waiting for, for me personally, it was just too much about cars, tuning blah.
Thank god I have some company in not exactly liking the movie... after I rated it 3/5 and was feeling lonely 🙂.
Old 2nd December 2019, 13:36   #58
Mtv
BHPian

This guy absolutely tears apart the movie while making some very valid points about some scenes and parts of the direction. I can't think of the movie the same way at all after watching this review

Old 2nd December 2019, 15:21   #59
BHPian

Well made movie. Must watch for a petrolhead. It is still enjoyable for people who are not too much into cars/automobiles. So equally well liked by general public as well.
Old 3rd December 2019, 15:04   #60
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Ganesh Kakade for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Hi,

Ford has released a documentary relating to GT and Le Mans.

Quote:
I thought it will be a good addition in the thread. Hope, You'll like it. The movie is 3/5 according to me. It keeps you in the awe, always. Cinematography, sound and legendary acting from Christian keep you thrilled. But the cheer from the heart and the yells till your throat starts to soar are missed in the movie.

I have watched both, Rush and The World's Fastest Indian countless times. I start to cry when he, Anthony Hopkins, falls after setting the record time.

Thank You!

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd December 2019 at 15:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks