Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2019, 16:16   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 'Ford vs Ferrari' Movie

This was a movie that I wanted to love but eventually just ended up liking. The petrolhead in me gives it a 7.5 - 8 rating out of 10, a high rating for the well shot motion scenes and how the story was played out but it could have easily been a full ten on ten had things been better.

My biggest issue was with the character and portrayal of Carroll Shelby. From everything that I have read about him over the years, from news articles to writeups and so on, my expectations were high but in the end, the way the character was written (and in turn played) turned out to be a big disappointment. Ford doesnt get a great look coming out of the movie and the underlying story of how such a big company is so out of touch with current times is greatly magnified by how the big giant is struggling in 2019 against a similar backdrop. I felt some of the bits werent too well explained for the non petrolhead to understand as well but the entertainment factor was high.

Christian Bale continues his great run of performances and I feel he could have even done better in the movie, given his illustrious career but I wont complain. The movie had limited shows here in Cochin and it was running a full house on a weekday for the night show.

The youtube documentary that Aditya shared is well worth the watch indeed. I happened to see it soon after the video came out and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you get an hour and a half in your week, dont miss this documentary.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 13:36   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally managed to see this movie last night. Really enjoyed it.

I am not sure how true to life Shelby was portrayed. I have read quite a bit about him over the years. And seeing him being portrayed on the big screen is of course always going to be different. Part of the problem here is that Hollywood insist on having perfect movie stars playing these lead roles. And they just don't add up.

Even so, I still enjoyed the movie.

Jeroen
Old 5th December 2019, 16:57   #63
BHPian

I too managed to pull off watching the movie before they remove it off the screens making way for new releases every Friday.

First things first, kudos to Christian Bale for putting out an outstanding effort in reducing his physique a great deal, the auto mechanic character portrayed by him fits perfectly his demeanor. While we all knew the bureaucratic nature of corporate companies especially of American nature, I personally felt there could be less of that, and more of racing sewn into the movie. Yes part of the plot does revolve around that but it was a bit overwhelming for me, and this is strictly my personal take to it.

Otherwise, an honest effort and great portrayal of history written by Ford Motor Company and kudos to Ford for releasing that documentary right in time, which brings out the ground reality behind such success when they repeated the history in 2016.

Cheers,
Vijay
Old 5th December 2019, 17:52   #64
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I absolutely loved this film - Ford vs Ferrari (2019).

Christian Bale is smashing as Ken Miles. Matt Damon too did a good job as Carroll Shelby.
And of course Jon Bernthal as Iacocca and Remo Gironde as Il Commendatore (Enzo Ferrari).

To me personally, as a car person interested in car history too, it really was thoroughly enjoyable.

Right up there, along with Rush (2013), Le Mans (1971 with Steve McQueen ), Grand Prix (1966 with James Garner and Yves Montand) and that TV Movie of Alistair Maclean’s The Way to Dusty Death.

Lovely films from that 1950’s-1960’s-1970’s era of Car Racing. Minimal safety aids. No computers and electronic nannies. Real “seat of the pants” driving, where the driver HAS to be “at one” with his machine and where gut instinct and “feel” rule, making racing more of an Art Form rather than a Controlled Science.

I do hope there are more such excellent films to come.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th December 2019 at 17:54.
Old 25th December 2019, 11:09   #65
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Ford Vs Ferrari 4/5

A very gritting and entertaining movie. Satiates most elements of a movie buff and car enthusiasts. Matt Damon looked old for the very first time. A subdued performance, may be to make sure Bale comes out as a the 'hero' of the movie.

Post watching the movie, felt like driving my humble Ford Figo Sports the same way on the freeway, Mumbai but then wife was quick to bring my senses out of the movie influence
Old 28th January 2020, 15:14   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I'm coming late to the party, still unable to reach the venue as this movie never made it to multiplex here.

So my next question is, any idea which online streaming platform will host it and when?
Old 2nd February 2020, 11:47   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Well, I'm coming late to the party, still unable to reach the venue as this movie never made it to multiplex here.

So my next question is, any idea which online streaming platform will host it and when?
The movie would be available on Google movies and iTunes tomorrow.
Old 2nd February 2020, 12:05   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgehlot View Post
The movie would be available on Google movies and iTunes tomorrow.
Thanks a lot. I have never used Google Movies and just opened the app. What's with this rental and buying? If you rent a movie, it is for how long? Just 1 watch or more?
Old 2nd February 2020, 12:49   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. I have never used Google Movies and just opened the app. What's with this rental and buying? If you rent a movie, it is for how long? Just 1 watch or more?
You can watch it one time. And I think once you rent it the movie is only available for 48 hours.
Old 27th February 2020, 12:26   #70
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's arrived on iTunes, so I watched it again . What a movie, what dialogues, and the sound of the engines...oh my . Enjoyed watching it the 2nd time as there are a lot of finer details you miss in the first watch.

Surprised that it's on the iTunes store, but not Google Play yet.
Old 28th February 2020, 15:27   #71
BHPian

I watched the movie on 4DX last weekend. I felt that this was a good movie if you want to experience 4DX. The movie itself was outstanding, and 4DX improved the experience ever so slightly.
Old 3rd July 2020, 06:23   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Just for information, Ford vs Ferrari is available on Disney Hotstar+ Premium (not sure about VIP access). It can be downloaded also.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 16:32   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just for information, Ford vs Ferrari is available on Disney Hotstar+ Premium
Great. Was hoping it would come up on Amazon prime and was looking forward for that.

Let me go get a one month Disney+ membership and watch it.
Old 3rd July 2020, 16:36   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Great. Was hoping it would come up on Amazon prime and was looking forward for that.

Let me go get a one month Disney+ membership and watch it.
If you have a Jio number, they're offering a Disney Hotstar subscription with their recharges.

The 'Ford vs Ferrari' Movie-screenshot_20200703164041__01.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 11:05   #75
BHPian

At the border of being a useless post.

Wife's birthday, I have taken an off, and the DVD is out for an early delivery. You know what happens next.

The 'Ford vs Ferrari' Movie-capture_20200811110054.png

What's useful in the post? Here.. Blueray and DVD of this flick is available on Amazon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks