Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 14:20   #196
BHPian

Re: Remember when.....

Not many years ago..

Remember using film roll cameras and changing the roll to a new one just after 36 snaps and looking at the pictures only after they came out of the processing labs.

Remember waiting in ques at STD booth at late nights (as call rates were cheaper @ night) and getting the call connected after so much tries, and the STD booth waala charging you by keeping a time record on his stop watch/table clock.

Remember going to video game parlors to play games like mario, contra, F1 race and Bomber Man!!
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 16:21   #197
Senior - BHPian

Remember when you were asked to leave your footwear outside the computer lab in your college, because the computers would get virus?

For non-Bangalorean Kannadigas: remember when going to Bangalore meant going to and staying at Majestic?

For Bangaloreans: remember when Marathahalli bridge was 1/4th of what it is today?

Last edited by rohanjf : 27th February 2012 at 16:23.
Old 27th February 2012, 16:26   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Remember when you were asked to leave your footwear outside the computer lab in your college, because the computers would get virus?
I once went to an NIC server farm, and I had to go through an isolation booth, and had to wear overalls with masks.
Hmm, these computers have bad immune systems!!
Old 27th February 2012, 16:41   #199
BHPian

Also, AC was considered must for a computer room. Early computers seemed to have allergy from dust, heat etc.
Old 27th February 2012, 17:33   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
Remember when a cinema ticket was 31 paise(lowest class) and rs 2 and paise 62 (for balcony)
Quote:
Remember when trains had AC,second and inter class over and above first and second.Sleeper class was not yet introduced.(Bet not many members have heard of inter class and second class.Inter was phased out in early sixties and second in early seventies)
Just saw your DOB from your profile page.
Bet there are many things that only you would remember and 90% of the Janta here at the Forum wouldn't have experienced it. But with you cent percent. Have heard of it from my Parents and other oldies.
Good old day!!

@Blow horn ok~ some of your post really made me smile, like the one of adjusting the antenna and shouting for confirmation if the picture quality is good.
And I also remember how we used to curse that crow who sat on the antennae and disturbed the adjustment, on sunday when whole family was stuck watching Ramayana on the tv
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 20:22   #201
BHPian

I remember the reception got disturbed after a wind/storm but if the position was right it used to be very clear after the rains. And I wished to god that it could remain as it is.

Also remember using a two piece booster (one at the antenna & the other near the TV) to amplify the signals and using aluminium cloth hangers as an antenna for our stand-by black & white TV

I guess I should stop my antenna posts.else you all would call me an antenna expert!

I remember listening to our phonograph record and every time the player needle used to stuck on the dents & cracks of the vinyl record.

Still i remember our Philips phonograph player used to stop at a particular point while playing DON's super-hit song "Khaike paan banaras waala.." It used reach ..Khaike and went on repeating khaike. khaike. khaike. khaike until someone went and skipped that needle from the crack!

Still have the collection of those wonderful records!
Old 2nd March 2012, 02:30   #202
BHPian

Hi everybody
Remember when you had to rely on a telegram for urgent communications.When was the last time any of us received or sent a telegram.
Remember when :to get a telephone connection within 7 days(tatkal scheme) you had to pay rs 30000(the zeroes are correct)
Remember when I was quoted rs 750(around 1983)by DHL to send an envelope Bombay to Ludhiana.
Remember when hindi movies showed two flowers depicting kissing.
Regards
PS:Blow Horn you forgot to mention the typical smell of those vinyl records when they were being played.Loved it
Ford Manchau very true that more than 90% would not have experienced.Changing times: that is the only certainty

Last edited by faustus77 : 2nd March 2012 at 02:38. Reason: Added PS
Old 2nd March 2012, 14:10   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everybody
Remember when :to get a telephone connection within 7 days(tatkal scheme) you had to pay rs 30000(the zeroes are correct)
Oh blimey, that must have been about 6 months salary for the average Indian at that time.
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:15   #204
BHPian

Remember travelling in steam engine train - stopping at stations to fill water , i had travelled only once when i was in 1st grade between chennai - mumbai , the journey lasted 3 days .
Remember when idli costed 50np each at Rathna cafe and best ice creams for Rs.2-3 from dasaprakash in chennai
Remember calling out neighbours or running across street to inform someone about telephone calls they would have received .
Remember dialing telephone exchange to book trunkcalls for making isd
Remember when mobile phones were like bricks ,
Remember when mobile rates where Rs.32 for outgoing and rs.16 for incoming calls
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:26   #205
Senior - BHPian

Remember when I drove Bangalore- Mangalore in under 5 hours sometime around 2006/2007 .

Rememeber when i drove alone from Mangalore-Mumbai in about 14 hours in 2002 and folks at home freaked out .This was the pre-GQ era

Remember when they sent my elder brother back with me from Mangalore ,so that I drive slower .We reached in around 13 hours

Remember when I bribed my elder brother so that he could shut up and let me drive the way I want to

Remember when a full tank of petrol in the Zen meant spending just 1100 INR .

Remember when my Pentium III desktop was considered fast as it had 256 MB RAM a 800 MHz processor .

Last edited by bblost : 2nd March 2012 at 16:29. Reason: Rule 11. Thanks.
Old 4th March 2012, 01:04   #206
BHPian

Hi everybody
Remember when there used to be only one Bombay-Bangalore-Bombay flight and it used to take days before you could get a confirmed ticket.
Remember when Mangalore Bombay flight had only 22 seats allotted in an Avro(44 seater) and you had to book months in advance.
Regards
Old 4th March 2012, 11:05   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Remember when my Pentium III desktop was considered fast as it had 256 MB RAM a 800 MHz processor .
When we got our pentium III with 256 MB Ram, the excited installer said that he just bought 1 GB RAM to assemble a PC and imagine the Rocket kind of speed that PC would have and what not. Also he said that its way too costly and that kind of speed is of no use at home and only required for professional Video/Image Editors. We were still a novice and were like and yelled RAM in GB???
Old 4th March 2012, 13:01   #208
BHPian

Remember when software programs (applications) used to fit in one 1.44mb floppy disks? Bigger ones used to come in multiple disks and we used to insert one floppy after another when installing.
Old 5th March 2012, 12:12   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
... pentium III with 256 MB Ram ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
... software programs (applications) used to fit in one 1.44mb floppy disks ...
<Sigh> This makes me nostalgic! I might sound like I am from the Jurassic age, but my first computer had this configuration:
1. 8-bit processor running at 4Mhz
2. 64KB RAM
3. 2x 128KB capacity 8" floppy drives (1 for OS and programs, the other for data)
4. 80x25 character green-on-black screen
5. Superfast serial communication at 9600 baud

Stinginess with bytes was ingrained in us. Tight coding (imagine 64KB max. binary to fit in an EPROM) was a thing to be proud of. So much so that when we got the first 10MB hard disk - yes, a royal 10MB - we didn't know what to do with it and expected it to fill in about 2 years. Debugging meant running a finger down the printed assembler code, all the while loading and unloading registers & flags in the mind - stack was scribbled on paper.

DLLs weren't a concept till we got HDDs, nor was the word Software around. IIRC, the word 'software' was coined by IBM-PC sales people (till then it was associated with ... err ... women ) to differentiate hardware that they sold, to correct the expectancy that consumers had that the stuff that actually did something practical on the computer would come for free with the computer. "OK, so the computer can do accounting for me? So that capability comes along with the computer?"

I even had a portable (transportable?) which had 5.25" floppy drives and a keyboard that doubled as a cover for the unit. Otrona Attache, I think the brand was. Imagine the ultimate transformation that 8-bit system has gone through that the same processing power is now available in - guess what - the ubiquitous Remote Control that comes with just about any home electronics equipment.

Before that, we had to use a TTY (Teletypewriter) over a serial port connected to the development board to load programs and data. For output from the program, I had wired a 16char 2line LCD display on an 8-bit parallel port. That would put out either cryptic messages and data, or make us go cock-eyed trying to follow the scrolling.

Even before that, we have gone through something that is not imaginable today after the advent of 'keyboards': throwing toggle switches up or down (1 or 0) to enter Address or Data - and a set of LEDs as a display, 1 for each bit. Mainframers had it better - Hollerith punch-cards, whose legacy still lives on in the expression "data has not been punched-in yet"!!! My engineering project in college ('79) was to make a 'terminal' using an 8-bit processor, a keyboard ripped out of a kaput TTY, and a B/W TV screen as a display. I still have the boards and stuff at home.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 12:28   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
.. So much so that when we got the first 10MB hard disk - yes, a royal 10MB - ..
Still remember those bricks Stopped working ? take it out, whack it with a slap & put it back in !

Printer settings on a DMP set by flipping a mini-bank of switches .. Heck, I still have most of my old kit, with a lot of screws etc.

I happen to carry in my wallet a couple of BNC connector pins (the crimping type, not soldering type). And this came in handy when I had to reset a MP3 audio recorder recently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks