You Tube Music 55 13.48%
Google Music 14 3.43%
Some other 95 23.28%
Voters: 408. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2019, 12:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which music streaming platform do you prefer?

Voted for other

I quite like Saregama classical streaming app given my preference for Indian classical music

Another one is the Prasad Bharti News on Air app for good old All India Radio which still remains one of the few accessible sources for Carnatic Music of a bygone era
Old 26th October 2019, 12:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Surprised to see Tidal and Quobuz not being in the list and also Indian services like Ganaa.

I am using a paid version of Tidal and enjoy thoroughly its lossless service. A little bit slow for phone but on my streaming player (Allo Digione, Raspberry Pi, Volumio) its a breeze.

For lossy services, I think nothing comes close to Apple Music in terms of quality.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 12:48   #33
BHPian

YouTube music for me now.

I was an Apple Music user until a year ago when I used to own an iPhone. Switched to Android, did not enjoy the app experience.

I switched over to Spotify in India when they had launched, unfortunately, their music catalog or the lack of it bummed me out.

Switched over to YouTube Music because I started paying for YouTube Premium. I couldn't stand needlessly watching three ads for every video. I'm not a fan of the app experience at all (both desktop and mobile), but the saving grace is that the music catalog is L-A-R-G-E.
Old 26th October 2019, 17:19   #34
BHPian

Voted - Other

My preferences in below order:
1 - Gaana (95%)
2 - YouTube (5%)

I looked up Spotify in India around 3 years back and in it's absence, Gaana served me beautifully. Tried Spotify recently & started loving Gaana even more coz - Low on Bollywood content & found the bit rate to be low. Didn't try hard to fix it though.
Old 26th October 2019, 18:13   #35
BHPian

Amazon prime user for 5 months now. Enjoying value for money for 129/-. Apple music had the best sound quality but has massive bugs on both platforms. Then Spotify came to India with kick ass playlists suggestions and clarity but was costly, so stopped after trial. I got every random some i searched in Amazon except some regional Malayalam one's. But latest Malayalam songs playlist is very good.
Old 26th October 2019, 20:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Jio Saavn, excellent sound reproduction in the paid subscription and seamless to operate and nice UI. My pick after Spotify. Spotify 1, Jio Saavn 2.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 26th October 2019, 20:57   #37

I started with Saavn (pre Jio), moved to Apple Music purely because of its integration into the Apple ecosystem. Once I was done with Apple, I moved immediately to Google Play music only to realise how much better Apple music was in terms of collection, quality and organisation.

But then Spotify launched in India and I've been stuck to it ever since. Apple Music still aces in India wrt Quality and Quantity but Spotify has me hooked on to it due to its superior recommendation engine. I find myself listening to more of what I like with Spotify. Good thing is a lot of these are songs I haven't heard before
Old 26th October 2019, 21:23   #38
BHPian

I use SPOTIFY and APPLE MUSIC. Collection maybe not as extensive as gaana or youtubr music but the music quality is excellent while listening on my airpods and in my car over bluetooth
Old 26th October 2019, 22:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

Really surprised by the high number of votes for Amazon music. This probably indicates that there are a lot of users who uses Amazon music as a bonus with their prime subscription, who otherwise would not have invested in a music streaming app. I use Amazon music with Android Auto and it is really crappy compared to Google Play music. Google Play music integrates well with AA and it has more content than Amazon Music. The only reason I am temporarily using Amazon music is because of the prime subscription. I badly want to return to Google Play music.

1) You play a song in Google Play music and you can start a virtual radio station with it, the the app plays similar tracks that you like. Amazon music misses this feature badly.
2) The recommendations on Google play music is fantastic - the recommendations engine's AI does a real good job in playing the music that you tend to like. Amazon music again doesn't have this kind of a feature.
3) More content availability is in Google Play music. Amazon music misses out on content.
4) Voice integration is much better with Google Play music. You tell Google Play music to play a track from an album and it does that exactly. Amazon music plays some other track from the album or from the artist most of the time.
Old 26th October 2019, 22:43   #40

Spotify. The best for my needs.

I have tried Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music and YouTube music. I liked Spotify more than any other because of few reasons.

Spotify:
- Best song collections I listened to. Playlists that you can never imagine, like Tamil rain fast beats.
- I use Alexa and Chromecast and Spotify works best with both of them
- Best feature I love is the connected devices, where you can see the list of all devices where you can play music from any device and listen on any other device. For example, from my phone I play the Spotify on my Alexa or a Mac.

Amazon music: Collection is not sufficient at least for my needs and the mobile app is bit laggy. Not sure how it is, but around 6 months ago it was too laggy.

Apple Music: Another great music app with huge collections of music. Alexa and Chrome integrations are not available (when I bought the Alexa) and now even there is a new support given, the support is not super great compared to Amazon music and Spotify.

YouTube music: The mobile app is great but User experience is not so good. Searching for a song doesn’t always end up in right song. Sometimes I end up with songs uploaded by some users and the quality is not so great. I mostly listen to music while driving and in YouTube music I constantly need to change the volume as each song is in different volumes.
Old 27th October 2019, 00:12   #41

I am currently using Youtube Music for its huge library and the fact that it creates "mixes" similar to the songs you're playing.
I was using Amazon Music prior to this, but a jumpy interface and the lack of auto suggestion made me switch.
I used to have a Spotify USA account but stupidly changed the region upon its India launch realising we get a limited library.
Have also used other apps like JioSaavn, Gaana and Wynk but various reasons have led them to be uninstalled at some point.
Old 27th October 2019, 01:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

Spotify it is for me. Have never missed a single thing on Spotify. Have tried YT music premium, but found Spotify much better for me needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Their algorithms are brilliant. Have many "YouTube Mixes" which play songs based on my preferences and I end up loving 70% of them.
Surprisingly I found YouTube music recommendations completely rubbish 70% of the time for a combination of English + Hindi + Tamil + Classical Carnatic music. I just gave up my premium subscription and moved to Spotify Premuim. Spotify neatly organizes everything in daily mixes.
Old 27th October 2019, 11:03   #43
BHPian

Have been using Saavn (JioSaavn now) for a long time now as it has many audio shows (podcasts) apart from music. I think Saavn has the best content as far as Indian and regional music goes.
Old 27th October 2019, 13:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

It seems Spotify is maintaining a slender lead in the vote over 2nd place Amazon Prime Music even though both lack in the collection department.

I use Spotify in my car. That is where I listen to most of my music. My modus operandi is simple. I search for 1 song which I really want to listen to on the app and start playback on the car. Spotify does a genuinely good job of making the rest of the playlist. If I don't like something, I skip to the next track. Saves me the hassle of picking songs and choosing playlists.

Going through the thread, it seems that Google Play Music also supports a similar process, will try it out some day.

I have used Jio Saavn and Gaana+ in the past. I even have a 1yr complementary Gaana+ subscription since Last December but I still stick to *Free* Spotify. The convenience of *Pick 1 Song and keep going* is too easy to pass up.

Am I missing out on something by not using Gaana+?

Last edited by antz.bin : 27th October 2019 at 13:25.
Old 27th October 2019, 16:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
YouTube Mixes
The Mixes in Youtube Music are repetitive. I've sometimes ended up skipping many.
---
Started trying Apple Music after a hiatus, what happened to their Album list. Only a limited list shows up and have to hop around related albums for quite a few. Besides no automatic downloads in Android app Steering controls work inconsistently on some days. Another disadvantage is I have to start playing from the app, doesn't show playback straightaway in Android Auto.

Will try Spotify sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Am I missing out on something by not using Gaana+?
Nah! Here (Which music streaming platform do you prefer?)'s what I wrote in page 1. Mine is based on Tamil and Hindi collection.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks