Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 5th December 2019, 07:14   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Low tariff regime over, telecom companies hike prepaid rates by 40-50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
I don't see any other choice except to live in my balcony.
Airtel is working on a service where voice calls will seamlessly transfer to WiFi calls in case of poor mobile network connectivity.

Also the trick that works for me sometimes is switching off mobile data while on a call. Improves reception.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 08:47   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Low tariff regime over, telecom companies hike prepaid rates by 40-50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Airtel is working on a service where voice calls will seamlessly transfer to WiFi calls in case of poor mobile network connectivity.

Also the trick that works for me sometimes is switching off mobile data while on a call. Improves reception.
I do this too. Don't know how it works, but it does improve reception a bit.

Vodafone network is so terrible in my city that it sounds like the 80s trunkcalls. Me asking "hello? Hello? Hello! Can you hear me". And the opposite party replies "hello? Yes i can hear you..hello? Hello? Can u hear me"
veyron_head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 10:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully the rates are high enough to cure the digital zombies who seem to never take their eyes off their phones.

For someone who uses phone only for productivity purposes, current quality of service is too poor.
giri1.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 15:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Interesting development. That's essentially a type of VoWiFi isn't it? Will it be allowed by the government?
Though even Jio has a sort of VoWiFi implementation where one can connect to WiFi using the JioCall app

I get zero bars for Jio at home. Forget about data connectivity. Everything on the Internet is accessed via WiFi
digitalnirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 19:24   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

There is an ongoing offer from JI0, got three of my sims recharged with this. For JioFi, its 1699 for the same period. So effectively I won't be affected by the hike for approximately 11 months.

Low tariff regime over, telecom companies hike prepaid rates by 40-50%-20191205_185721.jpg

Low tariff regime over, telecom companies hike prepaid rates by 40-50%-20191205_193231.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 5th December 2019 at 19:35.
Leoshashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 21:09   #36
NPX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
So effectively I won't be affected by the hike for approximately 11 months.
I did the same recharge 2 times by mistake and then contacted customer care about this. He confirmed that these 2 recharges will work for 22 months. If true, you can protect yourself for as much long as you want, say, 110 months with 10 recharges.
NPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 23:31   #37
BHPian

I truly believe this will hurt telecom companies in the long run. Like any company that chooses to capture market share by pricing goods under cost, when you increase pricing you will find users restricting their usage to necessity and figuring out how to reduce their cost. If this is the pricing they had reduced it to in the first place (rather than below cost), they wouldn't be facing this issue
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote