Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2007, 07:47   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
a good driver should also know his/her limits and the limits of his/her vehicle.

Coudn't have said it better! I'm a fast driver, but never a rash driver. When i say 'fast driver', it means i accelerate quickly with frequent downshifts and almost always on the overtaking mode. But my top speed till date? - 130km/hr (for the same reason, i find the power of my Uno 1.7D & Fiesta 1.4 TDCi adequate!). Now you maybe wondering whether that's fast driving?

Let me explain. The longest drive i had ever was from Trivandrum to Trissur, a total of 300kms. Exactly twice, i went on the same trip. Anything more than that, my father would opt for train! I travel frequently to Cochin from Trivandrum, a total distance of 225kms. Now, anybody who knows the roads would agree that most part are single lane highway, with no central median. Towards the end, from Chertala (30kms before Cochin) the double lane highway with central median starts. I think that explains my top speed! Give me an expressway and a capable car, i can easily go way beyond that.

Now for the 'fast driving' part. The drive from Trivandrum to Cochin takes anywhere between 4.5-5 hours for a sedate driver. My fastest time? 3h 20m or 200min total! That was on my Fiesta 1.4 TDCi with 68 bhp, which most of you find under-powered!
Old 11th March 2007, 10:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkr_99 View Post
There were no skoda bashing or ford bashing because the cars involved were not from "hyundai" .
I think its also the gut feeling that how a Hyundai car is more powerful than the Skoda n Ford....
Old 11th March 2007, 11:09   #18
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
a white verna vgt 5 days old met with a heavy accident ... the vehicle was speeding like anything... 2 people were arrested on the spot...
ram
Why were two people arrested? If the car was overspeeding the driver was at fault. I suspect that the driver may have been under-age and possibly the owner/regular driver was arrested along with the driver. Or may be the car did not have proper documents and the owner was also arrested for this. The only other reason I can think of is that the police wanted to question the passenger and arrested him -- not a very pleasant experience from the passenger's point of view.

Last edited by rks : 11th March 2007 at 11:10.
Old 11th March 2007, 11:49   #19
BHPian

The news in a local daily says that the driver was a college student aged 20. The driver was arrested, his friend was also in the car when the incident took place. The car fellows escaped unhurt. Three people were killed in the accident and some others were badly injured.
According to the news report, the accident took place near a curve in the bypass road.
By the way, there was another accident also reported yesterday when a Scorpio lost control and overturned and 2 passengers lost their lives.
Old 11th March 2007, 12:00   #20
BHPian

The scene is tooo scary!!

The guy who drove the car is just 20 yrs old! Co-passenger is his friend studiying for law now! So both are youngsters!
They were flooring it to the max seeing an open stretch.... and lost control when he saw a guy preparing to cross the road.... the car literally flew to the parallel road of main highway over a sewage canal which is parting the roads and rammed directly into the kiosks there!!! The guy who drove the car is now under police custody with multiple charges on him!!

This is clearly a case of reckless and careless driving!! Just before this incident, the same car overtook one of my friend who was driving a vRS and according to him the car was atleast over 130km/hr on that stretch!! Imagine the impact that wud've been there on those kiosks!!
What to say bout those dead?!! Tooo scary guys!!

The next dangerous motor here is TIPPERS!! Especially Tata's. They are astonishingly fast and powerfull.. and the mo*ons who drive them are real killers!!! Everyday atleast 3-5 accidents due to them with death toll increasing day by day!! Its hightime that the authorities take some very strict measures to curb the defaulters!!
Old 11th March 2007, 12:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Three killed, four injured in road accident

KOCHI: Three persons were killed and four injured in a road accident at Chakkaraparambu at 11 a.m. on Saturday.

According to City Traffic Police (East), the accident occurred when George Paul, 20, was test-driving his new car on the National Highway bypass. The driver lost control when he tried to steer clear of an autorickshaw and rammed a kiosk on the roadside.The dead were identified as Kunjumohammed, 55, who ran the kiosk; Lalu, 27, a construction worker, and Bharat Yadav, 55, a broom vendor. Lalu and Bharat Yadav belonged to Uttar Pradesh.

Source:
The Hindu : Kerala / Kochi News : Three killed, four injured in road accident

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 11th March 2007 at 12:13.
Old 11th March 2007, 13:34   #22
BHPian

This accident may be due to the drivers fault but the car is a high tech modern car with low tech stopping power. The auto manufacturers should be responsible enough to provide the masses with equally good safety and stopping power along with the power of engine as an option atleast and in this respect the manufacturers are at fault. Lets not start the debate whether ABS is required for city driving or not in this thread but IMO, ABS is a MUST.
Old 11th March 2007, 13:38   #23
BHPian

Oh my god!! I feel so sorry for the deceased. He shouldnt have attempted that. May God give support to their families. Looks like everyone is flaunting the Verna VGT CRDi's power..!
Old 11th March 2007, 14:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
This accident may be due to the drivers fault but the car is a high tech modern car with low tech stopping power. The auto manufacturers should be responsible enough to provide the masses with equally good safety and stopping power along with the power of engine as an option atleast and in this respect the manufacturers are at fault. Lets not start the debate whether ABS is required for city driving or not in this thread but IMO, ABS is a MUST.
C'mon, lets be realistic, if you want ABS its available on the Verna its available. All you need to do is pay for it as an optional upgrade.

Unless our authorities make ABS a compulsory option, no manufacturer in the A and B segment can include it by default on all their cars since it will have higher cost and they will be on the losing end in the sales figures.
Old 11th March 2007, 14:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

I know of another guy (tbhpian i guess) who nearly crashed the Verna on testdrive. Somehow managed to screech to a stop without hitting anything.

Me n Nash went to checkout the Swift Diesel. The executive told us that some other customer was ripping another Swift on a testdrive and crashed it n it overturned.
Old 11th March 2007, 15:27   #26
Team-BHP Support

My neighbour has a Verna, and he says its got amazing power and straight line ability, but is absolutly scary around corners...

He upsized the tyres too, and still says the car handles like a sofa... That really scares around corners...

However, he is all praise for the power of the engine...

(He also has a Honda Civic, and Opel Corsa)
Old 11th March 2007, 15:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the accident happened on a highway. I 100% agree that the driver is responsible for the deaths but isn't the government also be held responsible? They are giving us the best of the roads we have ever seen but they are absolutely failing from controling the pedestrains, the small shops that come up adjacent to these hi speed roads and finally seperating the fast moving traffic from slow moving traffic.

I am more comfortable driving on 2 lane highways rather than 4 lane roads with medians in between pushing the top speeds beyond 100-120 KMPH.
Old 11th March 2007, 16:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
My neighbour has a Verna, and he says its got amazing power and straight line ability, but is absolutly scary around corners...

He upsized the tyres too, and still says the car handles like a sofa... That really scares around corners...

However, he is all praise for the power of the engine...

(He also has a Honda Civic, and Opel Corsa)
Not only your neighbour , there are others with similar exp.
Old 11th March 2007, 18:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I think in that case he can just reduce the speed and negotiate the curve. IMHO, when you are going from point A to point B and your aim is to reach the destination safely, it doesnt matter too much whether you take a sharp turn at 120kmph or 80 kmph.
Old 11th March 2007, 23:24   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai should stiffen the Verna's suspension to aid better handling at higher speeds. Its a decent enough car to not have its image tarnished by untoward incidents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks